Your Premier League manager of the season?

Mas Risky

De Zerbi - implementing attractive play style immediately while coming late to the league
Arteta - give Pep a run for his money without star player
Howe - Built a resilient team, truly an underdog, and managed to get a UCL spot

I'm surprised that some of you think Pep and EtH are in contention for Manager of the Year.

Pep has a freak goalscorer, and EtH has spent almost 200 mil for 3 players.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Despite all the sackings I'd say half of the prem managers have done really good jobs this season (based on expectations in August).

I had Bournemouth finishing rock bottom Norwich style so for O'Neill to keep them up with 3-4 games left is minor miracle so personally would give him MOTY.

Steve Cooper also done incredibly well to make sense of their 200 signings and keep them up.

Lopetegui coming in and keeping Wolves up with something to spare wasn't certain at all as they simply had no goals in the team when he came in.

Thomas Frank and De Zerbi doing outstanding work as has Emery.

I wouldn't dismiss Ten Haag either. Man. United on their knees after losing at Brentford early on but he quickly sorted out Ronaldo and got him out of the club and there's a good spine forming now with Varane-Martinez-Casemiro-Rashford so far more of an identity than in last 3-4 years.

Dazzmondo

1. Eddie Howe
2. Pep Guardiola
3. Gary O'Neal

They've been the most impressive to me but I think there have been a lot of great managers this season. Emery, Arteta, Marco Silva, De Zerbi, Thomas Frank and ETH have all had very good seasons.

surf

Guardiola. Put a long winning run together when he needed it and made it look easy, which it isn't when you are simultaneously in 2 other competitions.

Honourable mentions: Arteta, ETH, Howe, De Zerbi, Emery.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
1. Eddie Howe
2. De Zerbi / ETH / Arteta

Maybe Lopategui should get a shout.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Eddie Howe seriously? After spending over 300m.
Partly expectations, he got them to a cup final and they've qualified for the CL and are a very hard team to beat, not to many of us were expecting all that, I doubt many barcodes were either

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Guardiola. Put a long winning run together when he needed it and made it look easy, which it isn't when you are simultaneously in 2 other competitions.

Honourable mentions: Arteta, ETH, Howe, De Zerbi, Emery.
Easy to do when you have 2 starting XIs.

De Zerbi. Brighton were good and competent under Potter. RDZ took them to another level. They dominate every game in possession and chance creation terms. It’s ridiculous.

mu4c_20le

Partly expectations, he got them to a cup final and they've qualified for the CL and are a very hard team to beat, not to many of us were expecting all that, I doubt many barcodes were either
People didn't expect Arteta to push citeh all the way to the last month either. I'm fine with his nomination but not sure about topping the list. And I'm pretty sure top 6 was the expectation for them, there was a thread here last summer iirc.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Pep - Treble contender/potential winner, totally dominate all the competitions, despite having unlimited resources
Arteta - no one expect them being leading contender for the title for most part of the season, and playing such brand of attacking football
Howe - absolutely no one expect them to finish top 4, not even their own fans would have dreamed that

Honouranle mention
De Zerbi - playing the best brand of football with limited resource
Ten Hag - leading a disjointed side to top 4 finish and 2 cups finals, cup winner too, despite having nearly unlimited resouves

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
People didn't expect Arteta to push citeh all the way to the last month either. I'm fine with his nomination but not sure about topping the list. And I'm pretty sure top 6 was the expectation for them, there was a thread here last summer iirc.
Don't disagree about Arteta pushing City as much as they did but I think top 4 was a fair expectation, I wasn't on here last summer so haven't seen that thread, but you can see the steady improvement they've made over Arteta's tenure

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't get how people saying Arteta, he has spent an absolute fortune and had years with his team? He had a very good season, but not really comparable to De Zerbi or Howe, from an objective standpoint.
Why not? Still better than Ten Haag who inherited expensive squad and spent 250M ontop of it

Objectively speaking

Mas Risky

Eddie Howe seriously? After spending over 300m.
300 million euros looks like a lot at a glance; however, after I take a look in more detail, I think Newcastle has made quite a sensible acquisition.

Alexander Isak €70.00m
Anthony Gordon €45.60m
Sven Botman €37.00m
Matt Targett €17.50m
Nick Pope €11.50m

Bruno Guimarães €42.10m
Chris Wood €30.00m
Joe Willock €29.40m
Dan Burn €15.00m
Kieran Trippier €14.00m

They pay expensive price for young, first team player such as Isak, Gordon, Botman, Willock, and Guimares and fill the gap with the cheaper options.

The only dud is Chris Wood, but they already moved him to Nott. Forest.

ScholesyTheWise

I can't recall a season in recent memory in which there are 6-8 managers who are quite positively credited by their fanbases:

Pep
Arteta (still, and rightly so)
ETH
Howe
De Zerbi
Emery
Cooper

and probably to a lesser extent, but still:

Hodgson
Frank
Dyche if they stay up?

Howe gets my vote, anyway,

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Howe for sure. Pep expected to win, 100 points should be the target. De Zerbi took over Potter's work. Will see what he's made of after a couple more seasons. Can't blame Potter for Chelsea either, on the owners.

Howe and Potter give hope we'll eventuallly finally have an English Premier league winning manager.

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
Prem Managers ahead of EtH in the Queue for Manager Of The Season:: Pep, Arteta, Howe, De Zerbi, Emery, da Silva, Frank,, O’Neill, Hodgson, Lepetegui. And Moyes even if they win.that cup.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Think Howe has a good chance of getting it. I personally think De Zerbi has done a great job though, took points of all the top teams in the league, plays a great brand of football.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Prem Managers ahead of EtH in the Queue for Manager Of The Season:: Pep, Arteta, Howe, De Zerbi, Emery, da Silva, Frank,, O’Neill, Hodgson, Lepetegui. And Moyes even if they win.that cup.
Love your sarcasm :lol: Hodgson, moyes and lopetegui:lol:

glaspalast

Supports
Crystal Palace
Not sarcastic:

mickey mouse cup and 3rd ( with lpool off the boil and chelsea imploding) is a medicicre achievement and relatively less impressive than: peps steamroller, arteta’s challenge, howe’s CL qualification, de zerbis zest, emerys improvement, frank’s solidity, da silvas surprise, and oneills/hodgsons/lepeteguis firefighting.

Paul_Scholes18

The only reason we not saying pep is cause he is too good to win it so make things look easy.

TheLiverBird

De Zerbi - implementing attractive play style immediately while coming late to the league
Arteta - give Pep a run for his money without star player
Howe - Built a resilient team, truly an underdog, and managed to get a UCL spot

I'm surprised that some of you think Pep and EtH are in contention for Manager of the Year.

Pep has a freak goalscorer, and EtH has spent almost 200 mil for 3 players.

Pep is quite realistically about to win the treble and your questioning why folks are putting him Down as Manager of the year??

Wobble your head

I don’t care if you think “he’s got the resources”

Many managers have had wonderful resources over the years across Europe and achieved bugger all with it.

in no particular order

Howe
Emery
De Zerbi
Steve Cooper
Gary O’Neal

have all done extraordinary though imo, absolutely utterly extraordinary

Arteta did well, coming 2nd is still pretty good going securing Champions league, but bottling the league towards the end and bowing out of all other competitions leaves it imo as a more relatively good season rather than extraordinary

Last edited:

matt10000

If we’re just purely talking the Premier League as a sole comp:

1. Howe
2. Arteta
3. De Zerbi

I’ve chosen based on who has lifted their team to overachieve the most this season. Newcastle breaking top 4 really is amazing from Howe this early into his tenure and given it’s a concrete achievement, I put it over Arteta’s title challenge (and subsequent bottling of their 1st position). Honourable mention has to be O’Neill as 90% of people would have had Bournemouth to go down and he did the unthinkable. As I wrote this I’d be tempted to give him the 3rd spot over De Zerbi who got Brighton into Europe for the first time in their history and doing so playing great football.

If we’re talking the best Premier League club manager across all comps, then for me that’s slightly different:

1. Guardiola (if they do the double or treble)
2. Ten Hag
3. Howe

If Pep does the treble, credit where credits die, it’s him. Yes, he has the best squad in the world but to do what he’s done (chase Arsenal down, smack Madrid, close out the CL and FA (big if obvs) is a unique achievement. Second has to be Ten Hag, getting top 4 and a trophy (and potentially another) is a fantastic season and turnaround considering how people predicted our season would go (especially after the first two games), not to mention doing the above with the whole CR7 drama and effectively not replacing him. Howe 3rd, as above and the fact he got Newcastle to their first Wembley trip in goodness knows how long.
How can you jnclude Pep? I’ve played Football Manager on cheat mode and it is hard not to win everything