Your team of the decade

ThinkTank@Cafe

——————————1. Neuer .
2. Lahm (C)——4.Vidic—-5.Rio—3. Marcelo
——————————-6.Busquets————————-
————-8.Xavi———————10.iniesta
7. Messi—————9. Aguero————11.C. Ronaldo

Neuer is the first of the modern GKs generation, sweeper keepers playing for the teams with high line.
Rio-Vidic is the best CB pairing (they played at their peak for 4 years in the decade). Lahm - exemplary team leader, absolute reliability and versatility. Marcelo - the deadliest wing back of the decade.
Barcelona trio - an ideal midfield unit. Messi/Ronaldo: 2010s will be remembered as the decade of the greatest individual rivalry in football.
Unfortunately , fans will underrate Sergio Aguero in historical perspective because Argentina NT sucked throughout the decade, City didn’t win CL, and Messi stole the show as the biggest Argie star.
Aguero played in toughest league in the world, facing fierce competition and always stood out. Terrific player and one of the best strikers I’ve ever seen.
All in all, this have been an outstanding decade player quality wise.

paulscholes18

Neuer
Alves Godin Chiellini Marcelo
Busquets
Schweinsteiger Iniesta
Messi Suarez Ronaldo

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Are the people mentioning Ferdinand and Vidic, thinking about the 2000-2010 or 2010-2020 decade?

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
Neuer
Lahm, Ramos, Chiellini, Marcelo
Busquets, Kante, Iniesta,
Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo

ThinkTank@Cafe

Are the people mentioning Ferdinand and Vidic, thinking about the 2000-2010 or 2010-2020 decade?
Technically they played together in 5 seasons in 2000s (05-06, 06-07,07-08,08-09,09-10) and in 5 seasons in 2010s (09-10, 10-11, 11-12, 12-13, 13-14). 05-06 was crap, Vida just arrived. 13-14 was also bad. The glorious moment was in 2008 of course. But in 2010s, they reached CL finals twice IIRC.

JPRouve

Scout
Technically they played together in 5 seasons in 2000s (05-06, 06-07,07-08,08-09,09-10) and in 5 seasons in 2010s (09-10, 10-11, 11-12, 12-13, 13-14). 05-06 was crap, Vida just arrived. 13-14 was also bad. The glorious moment was in 2008 of course. But in 2010s, they reached CL finals twice IIRC.
Vidic and Ferdinand severely declined in this decade, partially due to age but also due to injuries. Neither are even close to the top in this decade, the likes of Godin, Bonucci, Ramos, Varane, Chiellini, Piqué, Hummels and even Boateng outperformed them.
In the previous decade they are among the bests alongside the likes of Terry, Thuram, Ayala, Nesta, Lucio, Maldini and many others.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Vidic and Ferdinand severely declined in this decade, partially due to age but also due to injuries. Neither are even close to the top in this decade, the likes of Godin, Bonucci, Ramos, Varane, Chiellini, Piqué, Hummels and even Boateng outperformed them.
In the previous decade they are among the bests alongside the likes of Terry, Thuram, Ayala, Nesta, Lucio, Maldini and many others.
I got you. Just couldn’t come up with a better pairing in 2010s. Individually, for sure, there are plenty of CBs who were far better than each of them.

JPRouve

Scout
I got you. Just couldn’t come up with a better pairing in 2010s. Individually, for sure, there are plenty of CBs who were far better than each of them.
But the pairing part is the most surprising because due to injuries they haven't played that much together. Evans has mainly been their respective partners with an healthy dosage of Smalling and Jones. In this decade the best pairing is probably Gimenez-Godin or Chiellini-Bonucci.

ThinkTank@Cafe

But the pairing part is the most surprising because due to injuries they haven't played that much together. Evans has mainly been their respective partners with an healthy dosage of Smalling and Jones. In this decade the best pairing is probably Gimenez-Godin or Chiellini-Bonucci.
Yes, you are actually right. Looked it up and refreshed my memories. there was a lot of rotation in defense in Fergie last years, plus the played only in one CL final. CB part is the hardest one for 5he team of this decade.

Son

Neuer
Dani Alaves - Ramos - Van Dyke - Marcelo
Toni Kroos - Busquets
Iniesta
Messi - - Suarez - - Ronaldo​

Bench: De Gea, Lahm, Godin, Modric, Robben, Aguero, Lewandowski

dal

Dani Alaves - Ramos - VVD - Marcelo
modrix - xavi
david Silva
Messi - - Ronaldo——-iniesta

high press high line pure sex

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Manuel Neuer

Giovanni van Bronckhorst
Virgil van Dijk
Rio Ferdinand
Dani Alves (even though he's a cnut)

Xavi Hernandez
Mark van Bommel
Andres Iniesta

Ryan Babel
Robin van Persie
Arjen Robben

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Manuel Neuer

Giovanni van Bronckhorst
Virgil van Dijk
Rio Ferdinand
Dani Alves (even though he's a cnut)

Xavi Hernandez
Mark van Bommel
Andres Iniesta

Ryan Babel
Robin van Persie
Arjen Robben
Dude, you forgot Cillessen.

Son

Zlatan>Aguero
Zlatan>Lewandowski
Bigger legend but hasn’t
Zlatan>Aguero
Zlatan>Lewandowski
i thought this but then I thought back to what Zlatan has actually achieved in the 10’s and they both have outperformed him on the bigger stages at least in club football.

I prefer to watch Zlatan play and prefer his style but those 2 in the 10’s have had incredible consistency. Zlatans best years arguably came for Inter in the late 00’s.

Kamprad

Bigger legend but hasn’t

i thought this but then I thought back to what Zlatan has actually achieved in the 10’s and they both have outperformed him on the bigger stages at least in club football.

I prefer to watch Zlatan play and prefer his style but those 2 in the 10’s have had incredible consistency. Zlatans best years arguably came for Inter in the late 00’s.
Champions league is Zlatans biggest negative. Aguero hasn’t been much better and Lewandowski hasn’t won it if I don’t remember wrong.

Zlatans best years started in Inter but continued at Milan and PSG where his game was developed into a more complete forward. Now Ligue 1 isn’t bundesliga or premier league but what decides it for me is simply the fact that Zlatan was the better player between the three and that lewa or aguero wouldn’t be able to carry Milan or PSG the way Zlatan did. I also think Zlatan would have been better than those two if he had played in City or Bayern.

Jabocaster

Supports
Everton
-------------------Neuer--------------------
Alves-Chiellini--Ramos-Marcelo
-------------------Kanté---------------------
------------Modric-Iniesta--------------
-------Messi-Rooney-Ronaldo-----

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
The midfield 3 and the front 3 should be lock ins. You could maybe make a case for Lewa as forward/striker instead of Suarez but that’s it. Aguero, as good as he is, isn’t in Suarez’s class.

Centre back is where it gets interest

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Neuer
Lahm Ramos Chiellini Marcelo
Iniesta Kroos Modric
Messi Lewandowski Ronaldo
Bench: De Gea, Dani Alves, Varane, Busquets, Silva, Robben, Suarez

-------------------Neuer--------------------
Alves-Chiellini--Ramos-Marcelo
-------------------Kanté---------------------
------------Modric-Iniesta--------------
-------Messi-Rooney-Ronaldo-----
You're entitled to your opinion, but really? He only had one world class season this decade in 2011-12 and was completely finished as a PL level player by 2014. Having him over people like Lewandowski, Aguero, Suarez etc is a baffling call.

It's just United bias. They are absolute contenders for a 2000-2010 team, but this decade? Over Ramos, Chiellini, Bonucci, Kompany, Godin, Pique, Hummels, Varane etc? No chance. They were both retired by 2016 and had both been injury prone for years before that.

Last edited:

Jabocaster

Supports
Everton
You're entitled to your opinion, but really? He only had one world class season this decade in 2011-12 and was completely finished as a PL level player by 2014. Having him over people like Lewandowski, Aguero, Suarez etc is a baffling call.
In hindsight I may replace him with one of Benzema, Aguero, Suarez, Lewandowski or Ibrahimovic. I‘m just a big fan of Rooney:D
His goalscoring record isnt too shaby (114 premier league goals plus 54 assists) and he is Uniteds and Englands all time top-scorer after all. So not sure if its „baffling“.

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
The midfield 3 and the front 3 should be lock ins. You could maybe make a case for Lewa as forward/striker instead of Suarez but that’s it. Aguero, as good as he is, isn’t in Suarez’s class.

Centre back is where it gets interest
Right, this just confirms it.

Goal.com was doing a "Top 10 goalscorers of the decade" list, Suarez's name is up there too in the top 10. (He's #5, behind Messi and Cristiano by a fair amount, but only ~20 behind Lewandowski, 6 behind Cavani, but ahead of Aguero by 20+, and also ahead of Ibrahimovic, Aubemayang, Higuain and Benzema by a fair amont).

Just saw they did a Top 10 most assists of the decade, and Suarez is #4 in that (171).
Messi tops with 205, followed by Di Maria, Muller, (Suarez), Ozil, Eriksen, De Bryune, Silva, Ribery and Tadic.

In short, Suarez might be a #9 but he's a whole lot more than that - easily the best #9 of the decade IMO. Hell of a player - those are a LOT of assists for a guy who is supposed to be a #9. Hasn't had the greatest last couple of years though I guess as he of course declined.