Your team's worst ever cup defeat?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have to say all this Barca/Messi talk had them thinking of their terrible second leg surrenders in CL ties to Liverpool and Roma in recent seasons. :lol: Those would rank up there for Barca even if the opposition were pretty good compared to say losing to a lower league team in Copa Del Rey?

Just thinking of Man. United and losing to that Midtjylland team a few years back sticks out in my mind although of course you won about 5-1 in the return leg.

For Villa has to be losing to Bradford City in 2013 in the league cup. What's worse is we played that over two legs rather than it being one off as it was when Arsenal lost their the previous round.

https://www.skysports.com/football/bradford-vs-arsenal/279827

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Losing to Leeds a while back in the cup. Terrible result against such a small shitty horrible club.
Losing to York City at Old Trafford was also bad. I was in the York end.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Losing against Liverpools kids last season was a disgrace that I'm still fuming about.

Hansa

Mid-90s European defeats. Galatasaray, Rotor Volgograd, IFK Gothenburg, losing 4-0 in Barcelona, barely touching the ball in our first CL match vs Juventus, etc. Showed us just how far away we were at the time.

Lynty

Nani's red card. Not that I'm still bitter or remember the refs name of anything like that...

...Cuneyt Cakir

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
For us it should be Bradford in the FA Cup (in 2015) but no one really seemed arsed, neither the fans (as we knew we didn't have the squad depth to compete on four fronts and we were heavily focused on the league and were in the latter stages of the league cup) or the media.

So with that in mind I'd probably have to say Barnsley in 2008, all the big boys were out and there was only one PL team left in the entire competition and that was Pompey, we blew the kindest route to a trophy ever.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Losing 2-5 in the DFB cup to Dortmund. It was so easy for them to score, it still makes me angry.
0-4 against Real was similar.

Last edited:

ThinkTank@Cafe

I suggest renaming the thread to “the most humiliating” defeat. The worst for me is losing 2009 final vs Barcelona.

I was 200% sure we will win and become the first club ever to defend CL title, Ronaldo will stay and will dominate Europe. Was devastated. Barca beat us comfortably. That was a proper dethroning.

Everything started to go wrong for us after that defeat.

AshRK

The sevilla one (the most recent one) frustrated me. We did so well but couldn't score. We would have won the europa had we beaten them.

The ac milan knock.out in 07 hurt. Kaka tore us apart and the fact we looked so toothless in the second leg hurt.

Bayern knocking us out in 2010 and madrid in 2013 also hurt. We should have progressed on both the occasions but we couldn't take our chances and ref screwed us both times.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Portsmouth in the FA cup semi-final still has me raging.
Me too - I had 9 teams in the bag for a 10 team pools accumulator - I would have won about 12 grand had we won that game.
12 fecking grand.

I was fuming at the way we lost - 12 years later I am still annoyed.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Worst as in disappointing/frustrating? Or worst as in humiliating? If it's the latter then I don't think Portsmouth or Madrid would apply...

The MK Dons loss would probably be the most humiliating, certainly in recent history.

Tiber

LVG (who looking back was an absolute disaster of an appointment) v MK Dons comes to mind.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
1-0 at home to Leeds a few years back was also pretty humiliating.

God we better beat those feckers this year.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
12-1 over two legs to Bayern.

5-0 to Benfica in the Super Cup.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Leeds 2010 is our only loss against lower league opposition in the FA Cup in the last 36 years, and they were League 1 and...it was Leeds! Easily the worst.

Paul_Scholes18

City in the 2011 semi final. It gave City the first big title for them under the new project. Also ruined a potential treble at that point.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
2-1 Loss to aves in the cup final one week after Alcochete.

Then the worst of them all...

3-1 Uefa Cup final defeat vs CSKA.

We fecking battered them and lost.

We missed an open net goal 2 yards out only for CSKA to go on the counter and score to make it 3-1.

Bloody bullshit that.

wrepdrep

Supports
AC Milan
4-1 win at home against Deportivo La Coruna, followed up by a 0-4 loss at the Riazor.
2004 was Carlo's Milan at it's best in my opinion. Never seen the team wreck opponents so consistently like that period..
And then the Riazor game happened.

Istanbul....

The 4-0 loss against you in 2010. The Deportivo and Istanbul games had some bright points - the fantastic first leg and first half.
That 2010 tie was only humiliating. Losing at home, followed by 4-0...
It was the club's first CL knockout games in 2 years, the first since Ronaldinho's arrival, and the club had beaten Real at the Bernabeu earlier that season so it was highly anticipated.

Coppa Italia never had a high priority, so I can't really recall defeats that bothered me as much as the ones in UCL.
The ET loss against Conte's Juve in 2012 was a bit painful.
First team to beat that side after 90 mins, but we still lost the tie and they were still treated as Invincibles.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Have to say all this Barca/Messi talk had them thinking of their terrible second leg surrenders in CL ties to Liverpool and Roma in recent seasons. :lol: Those would rank up there for Barca even if the opposition were pretty good compared to say losing to a lower league team in Copa Del Rey?

Just thinking of Man. United and losing to that Midtjylland team a few years back sticks out in my mind although of course you won about 5-1 in the return leg.

For Villa has to be losing to Bradford City in 2013 in the league cup. What's worse is we played that over two legs rather than it being one off as it was when Arsenal lost their the previous round.

https://www.skysports.com/football/bradford-vs-arsenal/279827
My lot Wycombe probably had their worst one to you guys.

Leading you 3-1 at half time at our ground, playing supremely.

Then you had a mad second half where everything flew in, and we'd suddenly lost 8-3!!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nani's red card. Not that I'm still bitter or remember the refs name of anything like that...

...Cuneyt Cakir
That was one of the all time most scandalous calls.

In England it wouldn't have even been a yellow.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Me too - I had 9 teams in the bag for a 10 team pools accumulator - I would have won about 12 grand had we won that game.
12 fecking grand.

I was fuming at the way we lost - 12 years later I am still annoyed.
Wowzers!!

Your heart must have sunk when we went down to 10. Can imagine the sweatiness!

Rojofiam

Personally, 2 ties still make me furious to this day

2010 CL exit vs Bayern Munich
2013 CL exit vs Real Madrid

:mad:

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I am still sad that we lost to Bayern when they scored the volley and Rafaels red card.

I am still sad about Berbatovs 2 clear misses vs city which led to Yaya toure, IIRC, scoring

I am still sad about remembering the name Cakir

I am still sad about the goal that MK dons scored to humiliate us

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Losing to Leeds 1-0 to a Beckford goal still bugs me. I know we beat them once or twice after but it fecks me off they were a Championship club and beat us at home.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was awful. I was fuming. Literally foaming at the mouth
Haha not good.

My stressiest ever match was watching that City QPR game.
Thought i was going to have a heart attack the stress was so sickening.

When QPR just punted it down field at 2-2 from the kick off, instead of even pretending to try and hold it / knock it off a City player, it was an absolute disgrace.

Paul_Scholes18

Haha not good.

My stressiest ever match was watching that City QPR game.
Thought i was going to have a heart attack the stress was so sickening.

When QPR just punted it down field at 2-2 from the kick off, instead of even pretending to try and hold it / knock it off a City player, it was an absolute disgrace.
wow you watched that game vs QPR. When our game was over I just feared the bloody worst, but it was still unreal when it did happen.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
wow you watched that game vs QPR. When our game was over I just feared the bloody worst, but it was still unreal when it did happen.
Watched the whole game - didn't bother with ours, as knew this was where things would happen.

Was surreal when that QPR geezer put them 2-1 up even down to 10!
People moan about Barton, but that seemed to oddly pep them up a bit.

The big issue was whatever happened elsewhere had made QPR safe, meaning they eased off massively late doors.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Losing to Northampton under Roy Hodgson. He talked up the game ahead of time though. "They'll be a formidable challenge - there's no question about that."

Too formidable clearly for the owl faced senile old lesbian.

simplyared

It would have to be 2 defeats both in the month of April 1966. Went to both of the games.

1. FA Cup semi final at Burnden Park against Everton. We lost by the odd goal scored by Colin Harvey. I was just a lad with my dad. Remember this bloke in a blue scarf tried to console me after the game.
2. European Cup 2nd leg semi final at OT against Partizan Belgrade. We were 2 down from the away game and and could only manage a 1-0 win on home territory.

Best was injured and couldn't play in either of the games.

Spaghetti

Mom's
Quite a few but a couple that stick out

- Champions League v Porto when Mourinho ran down the touch line. Terrible keeping and felt like we were robbed.

- FA Cup v Wimbledon around 97 or 98. Schmeichel scored a stoppage time volley but he was offside (which I didn’t realise at first. Heartbreaking).

- York in the league cup. It was actually the second game that I found more frustrating. Even after losing 3-0 in the first game, we felt that by putting a few more of the “first choice” players (squads were a lot smaller then, and rotation not so common) out for the second leg we could easily pull it back, finished 3-1.