Your team's worst ever cup defeat?

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Recently, us losing to Barnet was pretty horrific

simplyared

3-2 loss to West Germany in the World Cup quarter finals in Mexico 1970. We had a stronger squad than the one in 66. As defending champions we were strongly tipped to go all the way.

U99ted

So with that in mind I'd probably have to say Barnsley in 2008, all the big boys were out and there was only one PL team left in the entire competition and that was Pompey, we blew the kindest route to a trophy ever.
Made worse for you guys by narrowing losing the Champions League & League Cup finals, while losing the Premier League on the final day.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
My lot Wycombe probably had their worst one to you guys.

Leading you 3-1 at half time at our ground, playing supremely.

Then you had a mad second half where everything flew in, and we'd suddenly lost 8-3!!
Yes I remember that score, had to check who actually scored for us in that game as we were poor in the league and struggled to get many goals despite having some decent attackers on paper, Baros, Angel, Kevin Phillips etc and Luke Moore was breaking through at that point.

Wonder if a Leicester fan will contribute to this thread?;)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yes I remember that score, had to check who actually scored for us in that game as we were poor in the league and struggled to get many goals despite having some decent attackers on paper, Baros, Angel, Kevin Phillips etc and Luke Moore was breaking through at that point.

Wonder if a Leicester fan will contribute to this thread?;)
Whatever happened to Luke Moore?

Came on loan to us along with Steve Taylor from Newcastle - as Tony Adams was more keen on showing off about his pulling power, than any attempt at helping us to stay up in the 3rd tier.
Bringing two 17 year olds in to help a bottom of league 1 team!

Moore scored a hatrick for us, and i know he played in the premier league, but can't have amounted to as much as hoped?

Revaulx

3-2 loss to West Germany in the World Cup quarter finals in Mexico 1970. We had a stronger squad than the one in 66. As defending champions we were strongly tipped to go all the way.
Did we though?

This seems to have become the received wisdom, but I'm not sure. Banks and Moore were still top players, but Bobby Charlton was nearly 33. Ball had improved; Hurst and Peters not really.

The big change was Mullery for Stiles, and while the former may have been a more skilful player I'm not sure he possessed the latter's winning mentality.

stewm

1976 Fa cup final was like a bereavement. Won nowt since 68, hammered a good Derby side in the semis and only had Southampton to beat.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Where do I even begin?

Getting smashed 10-2 over two legs by Bayern was pretty bad. Also, the League cup final against Birmingham. They stand out but I'm sure there's more I've suppressed the memories of

Bocca9978

United v Arsenal 05 final.
Unfortunately watching with Arsenal fans in a north London pub. I got more grief for the Glazers taking over than anything.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Whatever happened to Luke Moore?

Came on loan to us along with Steve Taylor from Newcastle - as Tony Adams was more keen on showing off about his pulling power, than any attempt at helping us to stay up in the 3rd tier.
Bringing two 17 year olds in to help a bottom of league 1 team!

Moore scored a hatrick for us, and i know he played in the premier league, but can't have amounted to as much as hoped?
He was doing o.k for us early in 2006 season then dislocated his shoulder at Chelsea. Wasn't the same after that. We sold him to West Brom, he lasted about a year there then went to Swansea and did o.k ish. Scored winner v Man. City in March 2012 which should've meant the end of that years title race.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17249294

After that he went off to play in MLS for a few season and retired at 30.

This is a rare interview with him since retiring.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/how-life-turned-out-luke-15919033

paulscholes18

MK Dons 4-0 Man Utd was probably the worst that springs to mind
We have had some embarrassing League Cup defeats down the years, even under SAF lost to Southend and then Coventry the year after. Under Jose losing to Bristol City.

Worst might be the 09 CL final, I was confident of winning that game, but nobody turned up, it was just an awful performance.

Gazza

I don't know if it's been mentioned but losing the 2003 League Cup final to Liverpool is still the only time in my life I've had to watch them beat us in a cup final. Horrible.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Losing 2-5 in the DFB cup to Dortmund. It was so easy for them to score, it still makes me angry.
0-4 against Real was similar.
1999 CL final
2012 CL final
2000 CL semis

layzie702

Losing to Tottenham in the league cup 98/99 would had won the quadruple

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Nani's red card. Not that I'm still bitter or remember the refs name of anything like that...

...Cuneyt Cakir
This x1000.

Still makes me angry. Fully believe we would ve gotten past Real and won the CL that year. We were on fire. Especially bc it was all downhill after that season.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Has to be 2009 CL vs Barcelona.

There was at least 2 nailed on penalties not given and 2 or 3 more half shouts for penalties. Not to mention the incompetent ref losing control of the game.

To top it off we were still going through until Iniesta scored.. then.. well I was neither angry or frustrated in fact I just felt nothing as I knew we didn’t have enough time to score another goal.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Arsenal and Chelsea FA Cup final defeats still sting. Should have won each by a couple goals.

Add Everton 95 FA Cup and Liverpool 2003 League Cup to the tier just below.

2009 CL Final as they started off great, grab a goal or two in that opening barrage and who knows how it plays out. Instead, they went toothless with a few great early chances and suffered when Barca countered on practically their first legit scoring chance.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
1999 CL final
2012 CL final
2000 CL semis
Exactly. I don’t understand how any Bayern supporter would not have those two CL as the worst two.
I am still throwing up in my mouth when I think about them.

United58

The sevilla one (the most recent one) frustrated me. We did so well but couldn't score. We would have won the europa had we beaten them.

The ac milan knock.out in 07 hurt. Kaka tore us apart and the fact we looked so toothless in the second leg hurt.

Bayern knocking us out in 2010 and madrid in 2013 also hurt. We should have progressed on both the occasions but we couldn't take our chances and ref screwed us both times.
Our whole backline was out for the return leg I think; we did very well in the first leg against one of the best teams on the planet. Rooney's last minute winner was :drool:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Exactly. I don’t understand how any Bayern supporter would not have those two CL as the worst two.
I am still throwing up in my mouth when I think about them.
Obviously the CL finals were more meaningful, but that's not what I had in mind regarding the opening question. The CL finals had horrible endings, but the ones I named were embarrassing from start to finish.

GazTheLegend

Losing against Liverpools kids last season was a disgrace that I'm still fuming about.
Oh god that was bad

You had a few chances, didn't score them, then proceeded to get battered by the Liverpool kids - and they weren't particularly good at that.

Whenever I go in to watch Merseyside derbies with any expectations of Everton they find a new way to disappoint. It's a real shame because I think I've always supported Everton in every one and I get a little taste of what it must be like :lol:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
God we have had so many appalling defeats over the years that it's difficult to pick just one, but the worst cup defeat I can remember was gong out of the FA Cup to Kingstonian (who the feck are they you might ask) a team in the Isthmian League, that was pretty grim. We followed it up a couple of seasons later by going out to Sudbury Town.

We also lost the 1983 FA Cup final replay to some dodgy bunch of shysters, we actually should have won the original game, but however often I watch it Smith still does not score.

Our worst defeat though (not cup, but worth sharing for the pain) was when we were in League 1, we were playing at the Withdean (an old athletics track we used when we were homeless) against Walsall. They were favourites for relegation that season and were utter shite. They had two men sent off in the first half while it was 0-0 and then went on to beat us with 9 players on the pitch ... sorry times.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
CL exits vs Leverkusen, Porto, AC Milan and Dortmund

We should’ve won more CLs under Fergie. Still bothers me.

RashyForPM

Losing 0-1 at home to the shittest Leeds team since Revie took over in the 50s was shit. Still remember the Rooney chip which was cleared off the line.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
All the above but I also went to this one away. Still gives me shivers and to think we signed Brazil one of the crappiest forwards in our history. Muhren was class though

GazTheLegend

Has to be 2009 CL vs Barcelona.

There was at least 2 nailed on penalties not given and 2 or 3 more half shouts for penalties. Not to mention the incompetent ref losing control of the game.

To top it off we were still going through until Iniesta scored.. then.. well I was neither angry or frustrated in fact I just felt nothing as I knew we didn’t have enough time to score another goal.
Yeah you battered them in that one.

GazTheLegend

Losing to Northampton under Roy Hodgson. He talked up the game ahead of time though. "They'll be a formidable challenge - there's no question about that."

Too formidable clearly for the owl faced senile old lesbian.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is right up there with Moyes "we will try to make it difficult for them" quote before we played that awful Newcastle side

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
All the above but I also went to this one away. Still gives me shivers and to think we signed Brazil one of the crappiest forwards in our history. Muhren was class though
That goalkeeper jersey is class. Bring it back.

Denis' cuff

It would have to be 2 defeats both in the month of April 1966. Went to both of the games.

1. FA Cup semi final at Burnden Park against Everton. We lost by the odd goal scored by Colin Harvey. I was just a lad with my dad. Remember this bloke in a blue scarf tried to console me after the game.
2. European Cup 2nd leg semi final at OT against Partizan Belgrade. We were 2 down from the away game and and could only manage a 1-0 win on home territory.

Best was injured and couldn't play in either of the games.
I think Denis played in the away leg with his knee strapped up. Could barely run. That was the beginning of the end for him, even though he had an excellent season in 67... from memory

edit: just checked the line ups here:

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/match/62100--partizan-vs-man-united/

Foulkes 4
Stiles 5
Anderson (Trev) 6
Charlton 7
Crerand 8
Connelly 9
Herd 10
Law 11

uefa.com ffs. State of those fecking numbers. Courtesy of Football Manager.

Last edited:

DavidDeSchmikes

Depends on how you do define worse.
4-0 loss against MK Dons, the first leg defeat to Olympiakos under Moyes,

Worse feeling, that FA Cup defeat to Portsmouth (had we beaten them, we would have won the treble)

BorisManUtd

Even though it wasn't actually a defeat there's Bayern in 2010, knocked out on away goals even after having 3-0 lead. First of many times Van Gaal made me feel frustrated after United's game at Old Trafford.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Hamburg, European Cup final 1983
Dortmund, European Cup final 1997
Real Madrid, European Cup final 1998
AC Milan, European Cup final 2003

All, all are sleeping on the hill. :(

JSArsenal

2006 Paris
2009 CL semi-final. I was convinced we were going to the final.
2011 carling cup final
Bradford in the league cup
Fa cup semi final against Chelsea
2008 CL quarter final against Liverpool
The losses to Barcelona (especially the one where RVP was sent off for doing what strikers do in every game. I'm convinced there was something dodgy going on at the time)
The losses to Bayern
Chelsea 2004
Giggs 1999
Fa cup defeat against United when Ferguson played the kids
Monaco in the CL (Giroud was an embarrassment)
Europa League final against Chelsea

I think that covers it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
FA Cup final vs Arsenal on penalties. An defeat from an otherwise almost perfect performance.

lysglimt

Scout
Quite a few but a couple that stick out

- Champions League v Porto when Mourinho ran down the touch line. Terrible keeping and felt like we were robbed.

- FA Cup v Wimbledon around 97 or 98. Schmeichel scored a stoppage time volley but he was offside (which I didn’t realise at first. Heartbreaking).

- York in the league cup. It was actually the second game that I found more frustrating. Even after losing 3-0 in the first game, we felt that by putting a few more of the “first choice” players (squads were a lot smaller then, and rotation not so common) out for the second leg we could easily pull it back, finished 3-1.
But that York-game produced one of the best replies Ferguson ever got - he even laughed at it a few years later.

After the 0-3 defeat Ferguson walked over to their manager and congratulated him - and then said: But in the 2nd leg - we are fielding our strongest side. And the other manager immediately replied: We better do the same then

.Phil1968

The MK Dons was incredibly poor . Another one I remember is Bournemouth away in the FA Cup 3rd round 1984 . We were cup holders and they were 3rd division I think and they won 2-0.