Music Your top 5 hiphop beats?

Dante

Average bang
Pharcyde - Passing Me By and Joe ft. Mystikal - Stutter

If we're talking about the quality of the beat alone, that one has been used in two absolute classics. Although it's not my favourite, I don't think you can get better than that.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Has he got something coming this week?! I had no idea. Exciting (though agreed his last was horrible). Dave's new album coming this week too (LOVED Pyschodrama) but I'm a little worried he's leaned too much into the whole drill thing...
Apparently so! Didn't know about the Dave release, will be giving that a listen too.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Nobody put Rapper's Delight yet (inc. me)? For shame.

May as well add 5 more while I'm here.

Royce/Travis Barker - Legendary
Royce/Em - You Gon' Learn
DJ Shadow - Blood on the Motorway
DJ Shadow - Urgent, Important, Please Read
Immortal Technique - Dance with the Devil

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Simon Says
Whoah!
Shook Ones Pt 2
The Abduction
The Piece Maker

Tony Touch is obscenely underrated. The amount of mixtapes I picked up in the 90’s that had a borrowed TT beat on it was ridiculous.

Honourable mention to Joe Budden - Focus. Criminally wasted. Could have been one of the biggest tracks of its era. It’s a filthy cut. Ruined by a Joe’s high vocals. Still a solid track but cried out for better.

Last edited:

GlasgowCeltic

Bit obscure but I love Roc Marciano's beat "Death Parade"

Sure they've already been mentioned but TROY and 93til infinity are just timeless for me

Delano

Common - Be
Kanye West - Two Words
Pete Rock & C.L Smooth - T.R.O.Y
Madvillain - All Caps
Jay-Z - Public Service Announcement

youngrell

Jeez, some great shouts in here, really makes you appreciate Hip Hop.

Some more that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

D'Evils - Jay Z
Exhibit C - Jay Electronica (distinct lack of Just Blaze in here, actually)
Ps & Qs - Kano
Can I live - Jay Z
A Million and One Questions - Jay Z
Friend or Foe - Jay Z
F*ck You - Pharaohs Monch
Obie Trice - The Set Up

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Honourable mention to Joe Biden - Focus. Criminally wasted. Could have been one of the biggest tracks of its era. It’s a filthy cut. Ruined by a Joe’s high vocals. Still a solid track but cried out for better.
I love Joey but I don't think I've ever even listened to that one. His first album is a write-off aside from Walk With Me, and maybe Calm Down.

Got to give the guy credit for taking Coldplay, Creed and Staind tracks and turning them into great hip hop.

He also made the best use of the Inception trailer music...

UnrelatedPsuedo

I love Joey but I don't think I've ever even listened to that one. His first album is a write-off aside from Walk With Me, and maybe Calm Down.

Got to give the guy credit for taking Coldplay, Creed and Staind tracks and turning them into great hip hop.

He also made the best use of the Inception trailer music...
10 Minutes is one of my favourite tracks off the debut. Pump it Up is a top 100 Hip Hop track of all Time too. It’s a perfect party record. The beef with Jay-Z when Joe clapped back on his biggest song was great too.

I was ALL-IN on Joe. Member of the old Def-Jam Brown-Board, spoke with him, regular engagement online, got my guitar playing friend to send him some tracks. He’s still my favourite MC. He’s ridiculously talented. But there was a Turn. After Mood Muzik 4, everything is so patchy. The podcast and reality show era…. Had to pull the rip cord.

Going back to Focus… this remix Def Jam put out with J-Lo…. The second time they wasted that beat. Also; they released it like this. Mixed like that. It’s the hissiest thing I’ve ever heard. I just don’t get it.

Finally: Watching Drake limp-dick his way through the Budden beef is all evidence I’ve ever needed to put a concrete ceiling above him as a second tier rapper. Joe absolutely skewered him on two tracks and Drake played his Get Out Of Jail Free Card “I’m too famous for this shit” instead of show up as an MC. Ass.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I was ALL-IN on Joe. Member of the old Def-Jam Brown-Board, spoke with him, regular engagement online, got my guitar playing friend to send him some tracks. He’s still my favourite MC. He’s ridiculously talented. But there was a Turn. After Mood Muzik 4, everything is so patchy. The podcast and reality show era…. Had to pull the rip cord.
That's awesome. I had the pleasure of meeting Slaughterhouse at a meet-and-greet before an NYC gig around 10 years ago, but I'd be lying if I said they acted like they wanted to be there :lol: Mood(y) music indeed...

Shame he's hung up his boots but understandable, he showed so many signs of falling out of love with rapping in his later output, like you say.

UnrelatedPsuedo

That's awesome. I had the pleasure of meeting Slaughterhouse at a meet-and-greet before an NYC gig around 10 years ago, but I'd be lying if I said they acted like they wanted to be there :lol: Mood(y) music indeed...

Shame he's hung up his boots but understandable, he showed so many signs of falling out of love with rapping in his later output, like you say.
I saw Slaughterhouse in Kentish Town and had an almost identical experience when they were at a bar afterwards. Came on stage late. Show was shit. Drinking at the bar after I tried to show some appreciation. Nope. I Instantly became overly petty and shouted “Your show was shit anyway”.

I saw Joe MURDER a crowd of maybe 300 one time. He did two songs with an acoustic guitar ffs. That guys attitude and mental health wasted his talent. He’s up there with Kendrick, Royce, NAS, Jay, Rakim, Em, 3000 as an MC. Top top tier. But few would understand why I, and many in Hip Hop think that. He’s the Ravel Morrison of Rap.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I saw Slaughterhouse in Kentish Town and had an almost identical experience when they were at a bar afterwards. Came on stage late. Show was shit. Drinking at the bar after I tried to show some appreciation. Nope. I Instantly became overly petty and shouted “Your show was shit anyway”.
:lol:
He’s up there with Kendrick, Royce, NAS, Jay, Rakim, Em, 3000 as an MC. Top top tier.
Couldn't agree more.

youngrell

Guess Who's Back - Scarface, Jay Z & Beanie Siegel
Gimme Some More - Busta Rhymes
Fight Klub - Kyza
If You Know You Know - Pusha T
Life in Marvellous Times - Mos Def

Not a big fan of Cam'Ron but the bassline on Killa Cam is one of the biggest I've ever heard.

ravi2

93 'Til infinity - Souls of Mischief
No surrender - Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
Rebirth of Slick - Digable Planets
Strictly Business - EPMD
Award Tour - A Trible Called Quest

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Bone Thugs doesn’t make it on anyone’s list?
It made mine. Not sure if that gives em a lot of street cred though, seeing as I'm a pasty middle class white dude with a volkswagen golf station wagon with a baby seat in the back.

Art of War had a lot of great beats. Body Rott is my personal favorite, but Thug Luv with the shotgun mixed in is awesome too.

RedTiger

Half mast
It's 30°C and I have no customers, so I've decided to add 5 more beats and turn the thread into an east coast wankfest (plus a southern beat).

1. DMX - Party up
  2. Gza - Liquid Swords
  3. Blahzay blahzay - Danger
  4. Beastie boys - Brass Monkey
  5. Geto boys - mind playing tricks