Your United Hero Growing Up?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Who was your United hero growing up, or when you first began watching our team? Who was the player you imagined you were when playing up the park or in the street with your mates?

Mine was Beckham, I absolutely idolized him. It wasn't the flashiness that people attribute to him either, it was how he played. Scoring beautiful free kicks, constantly running hard and putting the work in, being able to pick a teammate out from anywhere on the pitch with a perfect cross. I was devastated when he left and while I adore Ronaldo and other great players we have had, nothing will be the same feeling of when I watched Beckham growing up.

So come on, who are the players you adored?

norm87cro

Since I'm an amateur goalkeeper it was Big Pete aldo I also had a soft spot for Lee Sharpe

Last edited:

KennyBurner

First Giggs but ultimately Wayne Rooney. I don’t think any footballer could ever surpass him as my hero. My whole style of playing football and memories is based off him. Would like to see him get more involved with the club once he’s retired. Club legend and highest goal scorer. Love him to death.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Schmeichel. Played in goal myself, so he was the obvious choice. Was delighted as a kid when we once got seats in the East stand, a couple of rows from the hoardings right behind the goal. Shite view, but got to see him up close in action, hearing every word he bellowed. He had some mouth on him.

I was never allowed to get his name on the back of my shirt, back when you paid per letter. I don't think it'd fit on a kids shirt either.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Cantona initially, then Giggs then Becks, then Ronaldo, then I grew out of that shit.

My favourite United player of all time is Rio Ferdinand though, as a player and a man, I have a lot of time for him.

Stadjer

Ruud van Nistelrooij. He was the whole reason i started to follow Manchester United, English football and football in general. All because when my friend and i pretended to be footballers i ''had to be him'' when we played football at school. :lol:

Red Star One

Giggsy all the way. I don't think it was his shirt that I got as my first football jersey (I believe it was Beckham that I obviously loved as well), but since I tried to play in Giggs' position and just loved the way he moved with or without ball it was the Welsh wizard that I always idolized. My uncle also managed to get me his autograph around 2001-2002, oh sweet memories.

Robindinho

Beckham. I remember having a big poster of him taking up literally all my bedroom wall - shaved my head like him too... My grandad would always tell me he’s a show pony and Scholes should be my favourite instead :lol:

After him, Ruud :drool:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Joe Jordan. Your typical old fashioned CF who didn't give a feck how he won the ball. He just did.

Stevie Coppell. Tricky winger who could beat his man 3 times and that's in the same play.

Swivel Hips

Showing my age now by declaring Bobby Charlton as my hero growing up, first saw him play live at Leicester in around 1962. Later on, George Best was someone who got you jumping up and down and was a joy to watch, my first visit to Old Trafford to see him play live was spellbinding, he was a genius, sadly a flawed genius. No comparing between Bobby and George. Bobby was the complete professional, and still respected world wide.
George was undoubtedly the best player I have ever seen, but of course he had his issues.
Bobby Charlton, not a great scorer of goals, a scorer of great goals!!!

MrPooni

Cantona. Ole used to be a close second after 99 but Eric has far more staying power in my mind's eye.

jackal&hyde

Also Beckham. I was the most gutted i've ever been watching football when he left. Never allowed myself to get to attached to a player since.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Giggs and Beckham. Like all kids that were supporting United in the 90s-2000s, I have spent hundreds of hours trying to bend it like Beckham. But Giggs was so special in my eyes that I never had the audacity to emulate him, watching him was enough.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Robson. In hindsight I know he’s a bit flawed but he rose above the mediocrity at the club during his time there. 1990 cup final just showed what a proper leader he was.

Castia

When I was young it was Andy Cole, I loved him back in 99+.

El Zoido

Cantona. Absolute magic on the pitch, the arrogance alongside the ability to back it up. The upturned collar. Cool as a cucumber when taking a penalty, then aggressive when rankled. Wonderful footballer, great character. Everything that makes a United player great, everything that we love and that everyone else hates.

Paul_Scholes18

Well it will be hard to guess for you lot. I give 3 guesses.

Scholes first and Van Nistelrooy second

GenZRed

Started following football at the start of 2003/04 season. Ruud Van Nistelrooy was my United hero growing up. Gutted when he left but from Man United's perspective it was the right thing to do.