Your United Hero Growing Up?

Schmeichel=God

I couldn't choose between my 3 favourite players at that time to be honest.

Schmeichel, Keane & Beckham.

The strength of character in each of those. The leadership. The accountability.

Schmeichel = Sheer force of will and an absolute wall between the posts. A goalkeeper that received yellow cards for verbal fouling = legend.
Keane = The absolute epitome of everything this generation lacks. The mental strength of the man. Leaving everything out on the field. That CL semi..
Beckham = His effort was one thing. But the craft of that right foot. Sheer beauty. And so I began putting the hours in myself practicing long balls. ...And I also preferred that particular spice girl.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Cantona was my hero. I put collar up on my United shirt like him and he was the reason I started to watch games but before that I was just a fan because my brother was a fan. Age probably had something to do with the more frequent watching as well but I mainly tuned in to watch him and also Beckham and Giggs and Schmeichel.

Later on I tried to emulate Raúl but for the purpose of the thread lets focus on Solskjær as he became my favorite United player. Then when I moved from playing 7-a-side to 11 I was moved to the right because of my size (mistake by the coach imo) I focused my attention more to Beckham. Beckham leaving United was kind of the death of me having a favorite footballer.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Apparently I used to love Mark Robins, but I dont remember that. First United player I proper remember idolising was Mark Hughes. Named my dog after him and everything.
Hughes is definitely getting a lot of love in the thread, and for good reason. Some marvelous goals and moments from him. Keano getting a lot of love too :devil:

Denis' cuff

Harry
Denis the King
George
Sir Robert
Paddy
Norbert
Buchan
Alan Foggon *
Tommy Jackson*
Mad Kev
Robbo
Robbo
Robbo
Norm
Fergie and the rest you bandwagoners should know

* not serious

edit: loved David Herd (met him at a party and spoke for ages) so underrated, modest, handsome etc etc

RedIan

Growing up -
Tommy Doc team
Steve Coppell, Gordon Hill, Lou Macari, Stuart Pearson, Jimmy Greenhough, Brian Greenhough. Martin buchan

Bit Later - Joe Jordon, Gordon Mcqueen. Brian Robson mark Hughes.

svn

Giggs when I was really young in the early 90s, and then Cantona and Schmeichel. I was a keeper in my kids football team so tried to model myself on Big Pete (badly), but when watching United, Cantona excited me the most.

Reactions: Jippy

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Robbo then Hughes were favourites in my early days

Sharpe was the first one that I had the tshirt etc though

Then King Eric of course - he's still my all time hero

Ludens the Red

Cantona, literally the reason I even support United. Liked Giggs and then Sharpe due to his hilarious celebrations. I remember not really knowing about Cantonas ban back then and being completely gobsmacked he wasn’t playing in the FA Cup Final against Everton which back then I thought was bigger than League football.

Zlatattack

Roy Keane and David Beckham. That 99 semi final against Juventus was textbook Roy Keane for me. And as of yet i've never been so excited by someone standing to take a free kick that when Becks used to play for us.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Have you listened to his podcast on the official United one? The man is just :drool: :devil:
Ive listened to a few of them but not the Eric one yet

I went to one of his 'An Evening with...' things last year - was amazing just being in the same room as him!

Aretak

King Eric of course. I still remember the smug look on my West Ham-supporting uncle's face when he broke the news to me that he'd retired. After that, Ole was actually my favourite player.

Vault Dweller

Ive listened to a few of them but not the Eric one yet

I went to one of his 'An Evening with...' things last year - was amazing just being in the same room as him!
I think they are quite good, listening to ex United players is always something I'll be interested in.

Man, I can imagine his aura was just :drool: sounds quality!

LuckyScout78

Who was your United hero growing up, or when you first began watching our team? Who was the player you imagined you were when playing up the park or in the street with your mates?

Mine was Beckham, I absolutely idolized him. It wasn't the flashiness that people attribute to him either, it was how he played. Scoring beautiful free kicks, constantly running hard and putting the work in, being able to pick a teammate out from anywhere on the pitch with a perfect cross. I was devastated when he left and while I adore Ronaldo and other great players we have had, nothing will be the same feeling of when I watched Beckham growing up.

So come on, who are the players you adored?
The only United legend i have bought video from is Eric the king. And i bought a red tshirt with him on the chest. With the text "66 was a great year for english football. Eric was born. And i travel around the world with Eric the king as a free passenger. And got a comment on airport, dont remember the name. Nice tees. And another comment when wearing it is. How can you idol him. He is crazy...because of Eric few second of kung fu martial art kick.

But it is for the way he is playing football. His vision. He always knew what he will do with the ball before he receive and his first touch. Really quick and feets and head.

And a qoute from Eric the king. "Spontaneous is genius"....Cantona would definitely suit working under Pep Guardiola management. With all the instruction. Like you shall do like, you shall do like this....
then Eric the king will reply to Pep...Pep...are you playing or i am i playing?
Player like Cantona and Messi....you dont tell them what to do....yeah you tell him where on the pitch he will play....as a free supporting striker....and that is all and that is. The rest, let him be free. He knows what he will and have to do on football pitch. Football is simple. Pep Guardiola is the opposite of the simple. Too much instructions, special for the sub. A really good quality football player staring on the bench. Dont tell me. that they dont know how to run and play football. Yeah that is why Cantona will suit work under Pep....Not.

Then later i had only the name of Brazil Ronaldo and Zidane on the back of the suit. The rest....not worth it :D

Fitchett

Mine was Denis Law and I was delighted to meet him this evening for the first time since he was playing! We were both at the official opening of the new Old Trafford 110 years exhibition at the club museum in the Sir Alex Ferguson stand. I wished him a happy birthday for next week (he turns 80) and he complimented me on my good memory! Had a good chat with Alan Gowling too in what was a most enjoyable evening.

Vault Dweller

Mine was Denis Law and I was delighted to meet him this evening for the first time since he was playing! We were both at the official opening of the new Old Trafford 110 years exhibition at the club museum in the Sir Alex Ferguson stand. I wished him a happy birthday for next week (he turns 80) and he complimented me on my good memory! Had a good chat with Alan Gowling too in what was a most enjoyable evening.
Nice! United and Scotland legend is the Lawman!

BigRon1985

Stevie Coppell on the wing was the first but all time favourite still to this day has to be Bryan Robson - would literally win matches on his own!

Betson

Robson and Mark Hughes from my younger years.

Rated Ince big time when he came on the scene, and then Keane was just colossal for us over a long period of time.

I can't comprehend how anybody who saw him play could say anything else. Every pitch, park and playground up and down the country had kids running around with their collars up because of this man, regardless of who they supported.

VictoriaRed

Roy Keane for me, without a doubt. Drove the team forward in every manner. Miss players like him.