Your United Hero Growing Up?

Alabaster Codify7

No question.

Sir Peter Schmeichel. Idolised him as a kid, growing up as a GK myself. Still THE best I've ever seen in general to be honest. Schmeichel > VDS > DDG has always been my preference for proper #1's I've seen for United since my childhood.

Josh 76

Hughes. Scored the most important goals, the most spectacular goals, absolutely epitomised the club for me.

His career after United has been like watching a loved one descend into an addiction. You know it’s nothing to do with you but it’s painful nonetheless.
To be fair, since he has started working in the media recently, my love has come back for this guy.

SirSteve4

Steve Bruce was my first hero - that header against Sheffield Wednesday!

Bryan Robson, Captain Marvel ‘nuff said.

Eric - Rebel, Idol, King

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Cantona, Stam, Andy Cole, Solskjaer, Yorke, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney, Evra, Rio, Vidic.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
To be fair, since he has started working in the media recently, my love has come back for this guy.
I just pretend it’s two different people. Mark Hughes WAS Manchester United. That 91 CWC Final was probably my first ever big game.

Hughes, Robson, Sharpe, Bruce were all fabulous in that weird post Atkinson, pre super-successful Ferguson period.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Giggs has to be the most underrated United player of all time. So many younger fans witnessed the top tier left midfielder in his latter years that his legacy is soured somewhat. His off field sh1t sours it further.

Ryan Giggs between the years of 91-94 (plus change) was nightmareish. Easily the best winger I’ve ever seen. Anyone going back now looks at statistics and just doesn’t get it. He was unplayable. Just insanely talented and exciting.

He evolved year on year and was absolutely a better overall player from 96 onwards but my god he was phenomenal for the first few years of his career
This, there was a reason why defenders shat themselves when Giggs went running straight towards the goal.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
No question.

Sir Peter Schmeichel. Idolised him as a kid, growing up as a GK myself. Still THE best I've ever seen in general to be honest. Schmeichel > VDS > DDG has always been my preference for proper #1's I've seen for United since my childhood.
Those three written like that are basically a Venn diagram.

Andy_Cole

Cantona, Schmeichel, Beckham, Andy Cole.

I had an unusual obsession with Cole. I think it’s because he got a lot of hate. So it made me back him even more.

Hercules

Started watching in 99, fell in love with the team, didn't have a particular favorite as the whole team was so great and then we signed RvN, still one of my favorites.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
George Best
Bryan Robson
Eric Cantona
Ryan Giggs
Ronaldo

LDUred

Giggs.

It has been done to death but there was something so effortless about the way he played, and the way in which he controlled difficult passes just be sticking that left peg out. Trying to emulate those kind of skills at school made you realize how gifted he was.

If you could make a player who was hewn out of the traditions and folklore of Manchester United then it would be Giggs.

Last edited:

LDUred

Giggs.

It has been done to death but there was something so effortless about the way he played, and the way in which he controlled difficult passes just be sticking that left peg out. He could outpace seasoned defenders without ever seeming to be in a hurry.

If you could make a player who was hewn out of the traditions and folklore of Manchester United then it would be Giggs.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Who was your United hero growing up, or when you first began watching our team? Who was the player you imagined you were when playing up the park or in the street with your mates?

Mine was Beckham, I absolutely idolized him. It wasn't the flashiness that people attribute to him either, it was how he played. Scoring beautiful free kicks, constantly running hard and putting the work in, being able to pick a teammate out from anywhere on the pitch with a perfect cross. I was devastated when he left and while I adore Ronaldo and other great players we have had, nothing will be the same feeling of when I watched Beckham growing up.

So come on, who are the players you adored?
Apparently I used to love Mark Robins, but I dont remember that. First United player I proper remember idolising was Mark Hughes. Named my dog after him and everything.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Remarkable that Roy Keane has barely been mentioned. He was the heart and soul of the side from between 96 and 2003. An absolute colossus.

stu_1992

Roy Keane by far. Though Van Nistelrooy is the only name I've ever gotten on the back of a jersey.

Renegade

Yorke and Cole made me in love with united as a 8 year old in 1998. Probably more so Yorke.
Saying that being a 9 year old in 1999 Beckham mania was wild. I don’t think you couldn’t be a united fan at that age and not be obsessed with him around then.

James Ward

Roy Keane, captain fantastic. What a player he was.

Yorke and Cole made me in love with united as a 8 year old in 1998. Probably more so Yorke.
Saying that being a 9 year old in 1999 Beckham mania was wild. I don’t think you couldn’t be a united fan at that age and not be obsessed with him around then.
A sexy beast sure, nearly turned me Gay.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Best. He would walk into any all time all world XI, but beyond that was perfection on the pitch.

Erebus

Denis Law - scored on my first visit to Old Trafford as a young child. Worshipped him ever since - and still do.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Beckham, I was obsessed with long passes, shots and crosses as a whippersnapper.