You're in charge against West Ham, what do you do tactically?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would try to implement more movement during training sessions, more interchanging between attackers, focus on pass and move, more dummy runs. Also the players need to play with more intensity during transitions to attack and defense, they don't have to run like headless chickens all the time but when you gain or lose possession you need to crank up the pace. And have fun, it's not a chore.

BootsyCollins

I would set us up like this :
---------------DDG--------------
-----Victor--Smalling--Rojo----
Young----------------------Shaw
-------------Matic----------------
------Fred-----------Pogba------
---------Alexis--Martial----------

Young and Shaw pushing forwards on the flanks to widen West Hams defence. Goal is to get Pogba or Fred faced the right way with the ball on their feet, between West hams midfield and defence.
Fast transitions is key.

In defence Fred drops down to shield the backline along with Matic. Alexis high energy press on the ballholder with Pogba and Martial helping out wide.

Flanders Devil

Normal 4-3-3 formation

Defence
Back 4 - 2 CBs to essentially keep arnautavic quiet. 2 WB/FB to push forward and provide width and overlapping runs to our wide forwards.

Midfield
Matic holding
Pogba and Fred pushing forward

Forwards
Martial-Rom-Jesse in a fluid rotating front 3

Or
Mata playing a central playmaking 10 with Rom and Rashford playing as strikers told to run in behind the WH defence.

- - -
Just as an aside as I’ve only 3 posts, who is our backup striker to Rom??

ice-bionic red

DDG

Dalot Smalling Bailly Shaw

Rashford Pogba Pereira Martial

Sanchez

Lukaku

Back to 4-4-2. Our best attacking players to play. Out goes Valencia. Don’t mind Fred in there with Pogba either. Sanchez playing no.10/second striker Centrally on the pitch. Let’s see goals.​

Kostov

We play our best team for start. Same approach as Watford, I'm not sure about Fellaini, but I feel we might need him to play those dirty cnuts, at the expense of Fred that is. Keep away Lingard and Lindelof please. Rashford should get minutes and if he delivers and Lukaku fails to improve on last games, he should take his place for the next game.
De Gea​
Valencia-Smalling-Bailly-Shaw
Fellaini Matic Pogba
Sanchez Lukaku Martial​

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
1. Training
Not much you can do with just a few training days. I would insist in possession under pressure exercises, using just half of the pitch so players can adapt having to overcome the "tight space and no loose man" factor, which seems to be the main problem our team has at the moment.

2. Tactically
Would switch to a narrow 4x1x3x2, since we don't have players who are good enough to cause an impact from the wings, and would use Dalot and Shaw as fullbacks so they can provide width. I would risk on Mata playing in the middle, maybe he could provide us some creativity we're lacking and the fact that he's not playing wide at this system, maybe would make him sparkle a bit.
I want a team that would make high pressure, since Smalling and Lindelof can cope with pace (not so much with powere, though)

This system would not be foolproof, since in case of injury / fatigue the substitutes are not bright:

RedFan84

Supports
Liverpool
Look to play 3 at a back with attacking wingbacks and a DM. That should sort out some of the defensive frailties that United have exhibited so far. win the midfield battle and let Pogba have a free role up.

Play Sanchez/Mata/Martial as a free second striker role who've got the ability to roam around. Lukaku/Rashford as the Target Man.

It's not that difficult to set the team up to play. The problem with Jose is that he just goes "hoop the ball to Fellaini/Lukaku" when things don't go his way.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Play with 5 strikers, 2 in the middle, 3 at the back.

-----------Sanchez(LWF)----Martial(CF)----Rashford(CF)-----Lukaku(RWF)----------
---------------------------------------Lingard(SS)----------------------------------------
----------------------------Pogba(CM)---------Matic(CM)--------------------------------
------------------------------Jones------Smalling----Baily-------------------------------
---------------------------------------De Gea---------------------------------------------

iHicksy

I'd actually like to see Lukaku on the right and Sanchez down the middle with Martial on the left. I think Martial and shaw have a decent understanding and I really want to see Lukaku out on the right. I think he'd surprise a lot of people there. His pace would be lethal and his crossing is actually pretty good. Not only that but if we did hoof it long up to him there aren't many left backs that could contest with him in the air. I remember watchimg him for Everton where he'd start over on the right wing and absolutely destroy the back line on the counter because he has space to run into.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
go at them from the start... don't let them settle and don't play at zero speed. given time they have shown they grow into a game and get something out of it.

Zlatattack

I'd pay Pogba £50 and make him the manager for the day. Apparently he knows exactly what to do.

Can you imagine the most match conference "I'm only the manager", or "I'm only the player-manager, 1 man in a team of 11", or "You get what you pay for, I'm paid £50 to manage this team".

Yagami

Good post resistant
I posted this in the newbie thread:
I think the 4-2-2-2 would be worth a go with our current personnel. Like what we played against Chelsea at home last year.

Remember City circa 11-14 or so, where they'd have two up top (Aguero,Tevez,Dzeko,Balotelli,Negredo,etc), use Silva and Nasri as inside playmakers, coming in from the wings to link up with Touré with one of Fernandinho/Barry sitting, and their FBs (Zabaleta,Sagna,Kolarov,Clichy) providing the width?

Shaw and Dalot/Valencia can provide the width. Herrera can sit next to Matic who can venture further forwards where, in my opinion, he's much more useful. Martial and Pogba can be the inside playmakers. Martial's good on the left and always ends up coming inside anyway, and Pogba on the right means he'd have less defensive responsibility and can still be the teams playmaker when in possession with him coming inside allowing Dalot to overlap him. Then the two up top with Alexis/Lukaku/Rashford. Or you could have Alexis as the left playmaker and Martial up top alongside someone.
This was just in general; not really specifically about the game against West Ham.

If you go back and look our our players' positions against Chelsea at home, you'll see that Pogba, Alexis, Martial and Lukaku formed a sort of square up front, with Matic and McTominay behind, and the FBs providing the width. Like City from said era, I think we should've tried to build off that formation, with Matic venturing further forwards and Herrera sitting instead of both of them staying deep.

WolfInSharp'sClothing

Supports
Wolves
I'd actually like to see Lukaku on the right and Sanchez down the middle with Martial on the left. I think Martial and shaw have a decent understanding and I really want to see Lukaku out on the right. I think he'd surprise a lot of people there. His pace would be lethal and his crossing is actually pretty good. Not only that but if we did hoof it long up to him there aren't many left backs that could contest with him in the air. I remember watchimg him for Everton where he'd start over on the right wing and absolutely destroy the back line on the counter because he has space to run into.
I think this could work.

Sanchez in a withdrawn/false 9 central role with Martial coming in from the left and Lukaku from the right.

Dangerous.

simplyared

Stick Lukaku on the bench. Replace with Rashford. In with Martial from start. Fred from start. Intensive football! Pogba our main man dictating play. In with Bailly!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm noticing that just about everyone is putting a right footer on the left and a left footer on the right in attack. What's wrong with having it the other way around? We are too narrow because players are wanting to come inside so much. For me, a wingers first thought should be to set up a goal. When we are set up with a lefty on the right and a righty on the left, they are thinking to score first, so they come inside to try and get on their stronger foot. When they do that, if they get tackled the ball is going back up field and can launch a counter attack for the other team. If our players are first thinking about going wide and onto their good foot, if they get tackled the ball either goes out for a throw or a corner in most situations. It also spreads out our opponents defense if we are wider, and opens up the middle for a cross or cut back pass once at the byline. This is how we used to play. Giggs wide left and Beckham wide right. I hate that teams rarely play like this anymore. Everyone wants to score and the end result is less scoring...

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I would forget reputations and the first names on the sheet would be players who give their all. Effort before anything else

Kag

It doesn’t matter. We are an uncoached football team that won’t play desirable attacking football until we bring in a manager that is noted for his ability to coach exactly that. See Guardiola. See Klopp. At this rate I’d even take Van Gaal. At least we’d keep hold of the ball, control the tempo of the game, but this time with better players.

AndyJ1985

Lock Phil Jones in the boot of my car and tell the lads to Attack! Attack! Attack!

Kaarel

Park the bus. Let them have the ball and hope for a defensive mistake by West Ham or a Fellaini header in extra time to win it. The Mourinho way, we all know this is how we will play.

m1tch

I'd try find 11 players that you could trust to give everything. Probably something like...

De Gea
Bailey Smalling Lindelof
Dalot Andreas Fred Shaw
Fellaini
Lukaku Martial

Red_toad

Log onto the Caf and ask the experts. Who needs tactics when there’s so many who know better and can do better than most managers...

Negan

————De Gea
Dalot Bailly Lindelöf Shaw
—————Matic
———Fellaini Pogba
—————Mata
———Lukaku Rashford

No wingers because we have none.

I truly believe no Young, no Smalling and no Jones is the answer to all of our problems.

sp_107

If i am allowed to manage just this one game then I ask my brother to place a million pounds bet on UTD to Lose (as I can't do that as a manager) and I start

Alexis / Lingard / Rashford / Fellaini / Herrera / Mata / Jones / Darmian / young/Rojo --something like this

Too many AVG or out of form payers

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
————De Gea
—————Matic
———Fellaini Pogba
—————Mata
———Lukaku Rashford

I truly believe no Young, no Smalling and no Jones is the answer to all of our problems.
Smalling is our best defender. And it's not even close.

el3mel

————De Gea
—————Matic
———Fellaini Pogba
—————Mata
———Lukaku Rashford

Bailly and Lindelof worked pretty well against Brighton didn't they ?

luke511

Martial Lukaku Rashford/Sanchez

Pogba Pereira/Fred
Matic

Shaw Bailly Smalling Dalot

De Gea

That's how I'd have it week in week out, that front 3 interchanging positions. Lukaku drifting out to the right wing when we're defending and looking for the counter, more central when we're in possession. I'm done with our right wing being pointless, Valencia and Lingard/Mata occupying the right side should never happen again, but it seems to happen every weekend.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's too late to make a huge change for the West Ham game but it can be the start of something. I would play 3 at the back and go with Sanchez and Martial upfront and stick with the system for a few games, and let the players develop an understanding and some cohesion.

But knowing Mourinho, none of that will happen. He will go back to doing what he knows best, which has served him well in the past.