Youri Tielemans

mu4c_20le

That's a bold take.

McTominay would have to grow talent over night to accomplish this.
Youri is in the best form of his life, while Mct has slowed down a bit. Otherwise I don't think they are planets apart or anything. I believe in young Scotty's potential, lets see if he can take it up another level next season.

Irrational.

Great player, world class strike today.

Leicester will have another gem on their hands for a similar price after they complete the signing of Soumare, to add to another bargain in Ndidi.

Meanwhile, we’ll go around spunking almost £100 million plus on the likes of Fred and van de Beek.

Our scouting and recruitment department needs overhauling.

Robindinho

Have no idea why did we let him go to Leicester. Such a shame that we didn't even try for him. A perfect midfielder for our double pivot. 30m was a steal for Leicester.
Too much of a 'risk' signing for us. We have to wait until they're proven and worth £70m+... Our recruitment strategy/team is a mess.

Think they're signing Soumare too, who no doubt will have a similar impact.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Our boys had a bad day, this guy scored his career best goal...obviously he should be in our team.

Never change redcafe.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Our boys had a bad day, this guy scored his career best goal...obviously he should be in our team.

Never change redcafe.
Ignoring the fact he was a highly rated teenager. Oh and the fact he’s been the best player on the pitch against us three games in a row now. It’s possible people just see a very good player where there is one.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ignoring the fact he was a highly rated teenager. Oh and the fact he’s been the best player on the pitch against us three games in a row now. It’s possible people just see a very good player where there is one.
"He played well against so we should sign him" is back! :drool:

-Supreme-

It'd be interesting to see if he commits his future with Leicester with only 2 years left on his contract.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Great game today. Surprised a Barcelona or Juventus haven't signed him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Never rated him that highly. Always felt he doesn't show enough awareness and authority in his game. But he was great yesterday and I'd take him over Mctominay any day of the week who wouldn't really be in demand if he played for other clubs.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
It'd be interesting to see if he commits his future with Leicester with only 2 years left on his contract.
That's the real kicker here ! We need him to sign long term but he seems to be dragging his feet a little. Hopefully an FA Cup & Champions league will convince him.

amolbhatia50k

He's decent. McTominay could become better though
Probably won't given he can't pass and his control of the ball is mediocre. Don't know where Scott is suddenly going to learn these traits at 24/25.

kerryman

Great player, world class strike today.

Leicester will have another gem on their hands for a similar price after they complete the signing of Soumare, to add to another bargain in Ndidi.

Meanwhile, we’ll go around spunking almost £100 million plus on the likes of Fred and van de Beek.

Don't forget they picked up Kante for a bargain also...Ndidi, Tielemans and Kante...oh to have even one of them on our team over the past few seasons. Their scouting and recruitment really puts ours to shame.

amolbhatia50k

Forget about signing him, lets sign Leicester scouting department instead.
We've got owners whose hearts are not in it. They run us like a pure investment and not a passion. That's the difference

Varun

Staff
Curious to understand why you think so. For me, Tielemans is simply doing what most thought he would when he broke through as a 16/17yr old in first team football. Top talent and someone who should really play for a bigger club which I think he knows as well and may play out whenever his contract negotiations are up. McT on the other hand I'm hoping surprises everyone but it'll be just that, a surprise, if he ends up the better player.

Varun

Staff
Forget about signing him, lets sign Leicester scouting department instead.
Tielemans was hardly a hidden gem they scouted tbf. First teamer when he was still in his nappies and club captain I think within a season or so. The tragic thing is that we saw the audition first hand when he was on loan at Leicester but still didn't go for him.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
A couple days ago I was thinking why he didn't score long range goals as I am sure I had seen him did so couple of times when he was playing in Belgium.

tenpoless

Tielemans was hardly a hidden gem they scouted tbf. First teamer when he was still in his nappies and club captain I think within a season or so. The tragic thing is that we saw the audition first hand when he was on loan at Leicester but still didn't go for him.
Which makes you wonder what did our scouts do exactly. I'm pretty sure they are employed by the club to find obvious gems as much as hidden gems. Leicester has been doing this part correctly for example Kante, Mahrez, Sonucu. Brendan must be so happy.

We've got owners whose hearts are not in it. They run us like a pure investment and not a passion. That's the difference
Yeah that's a shame. But I do believe the scouts and people in charge of recruitment need to do better. Its not that we didnt spend money. We spent a lot on alright or bad and inconsistent players. Bruno is a hit and that's it in the past 6-7 years. It really does remind me of that meme video where Ed is looking for the finest chocolate bars and says money is not a problem, he goes around looking for expensive things waiting to be ripped off instead of trying to find the recipe and ingredients to make the finest chocolate bars for 1/10 of the prices.

Ed, the people in charge for recruitment, including the scouts are the big jokes. Every transfer window we are mostly linked to obvious players that everyone and their mothers know about, that his club will sell for a huge sum of money. When the deal stalls we just keep on chasing the wind and end up with nothing or signing players that dont make sense. We spent money like an idiot. I'm glad Ed will be gone soon. Feck it just find who is the head of recruitment and scouts in Leicester and tempt them with money. I'm sure we will make much more progress with them in 1 year than with Ed and his stupid system and rules in 5 years.

Varun

Staff
Which makes you wonder what did our scouts do exactly. I'm pretty sure they are employed by the club to find obvious gems as much as hidden gems. Leicester has been doing this part correctly for example Kante, Mahrez, Sonucu. Brendan must be so happy.

Yeah that's a shame. But I do believe the scouts and people in charge of recruitment need to do better. Its not that we didnt spend money. We spent a lot on alright or bad and inconsistent players. Bruno is a hit and that's it in the past 6-7 years. It really does remind me of that meme video where Ed is looking for the finest chocolate bars and says money is not a problem, he goes around looking for expensive things waiting to be ripped off instead of trying to find the recipe and ingredients to make the finest chocolate bars for 1/10 of the prices.

Ed, the people in charge for recruitment, including the scouts are the big jokes. Every transfer window we are mostly linked to obvious players that everyone and their mothers know about, that his club will sell for a huge sum of money. When the deal stalls we just keep on chasing the wind and end up with nothing or signing players that dont make sense. We spent money like an idiot. I'm glad Ed will be gone soon. Feck it just find who is the head of recruitment and scouts in Leicester and tempt them with money. I'm sure we will make much more progress with them in 1 year than with Ed and his stupid system and rules in 5 years.
I meant the decision not to sign him is on the transfer committee and the manager. The scouts can only do so much and in tielemans case, it's impossible that Utd scouts didn't know of him for years because of his Anderlecht breakthrough, let alone when he joined Leicester on loan. He was very highly rated from the off too

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They put in place better systems

But as @Varun said Tielsman wasn't a hard scout. Highly rated since he was a kid.
What systems, specifically, have the Leicester owners put in place that are better than the systems put in at Manchester United and in what way are they better?

I’m partly genuinely curious and partly jaded by “the owners” being used as a lazy excuse for everything at United that doesn’t run perfectly.

Ramos

Leicester's biggest merit is getting him despite him being so abysmal at Monaco (and he truly was, i've been watching his games since his very first one for Anderlecht).

Even if it was a loan at first, they still paid twice what Monaco paid Anderlecht. A player completely flopping and still leaving for double the original transfer fee, that tells you something.

kerryman

We saw the audition first hand much earlier when we played Anderlecht in the Europa League...could have picked him up before he even moved to Monaco.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Leicester's biggest merit is getting him despite him being so abysmal at Monaco (and he truly was, i've been watching his games since his very first one for Anderlecht).

Even if it was a loan at first, they still paid twice what Monaco paid Anderlecht. A player completely flopping and still leaving for double the original transfer fee, that tells you something.
This is so spot on. Tielemans was horrible in France and it looked like it was going to be the same in the PL at first.

amolbhatia50k

This is so spot on. Tielemans was horrible in France and it looked like it was going to be the same in the PL at first.
Ah yes I remember this now. And tbf I wasn't impressed by him at Leicester for the most part either. Wasn't overrated as much as Neves but I still felt he was

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
1 good game every 5 games player.
Same fans drool over tielemans but shit on Rashford. Yup.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We probably need different sorts of midfielder right now: a winger, for starters. But if Pogba leaves that would give us a lot of money and I'd bid for tielemans. that said, if we got him anyway, I wouldn't sad!

meamth

To be honest he was shite in his first season. Understandable it was his first time coming to PL.

but of course, if he performed so well during his loan, it wouldn't be just us asking for his signature.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

The issue, for me at least, is that van de Beek wouldn’t look so much of a non-entity playing under the likes of Rodgers, for example, as he’d employ a system to get the best out of the player, or play him in a position where he’d flourish.

Whereas we play van de Beek in central midfield, out wide left and right, and the no.10 position for a few minutes here and there when Bruno needs a break, none of which are giving him a fair crack of the whip. I’m not advocating excuses for van de Beek’s poor form as I believe the problem is primarily down to himself but I also have minimal faith in our manager knowing how to get the best out of him.

There is an intelligent, technical player there - as we saw on the biggest stage with Ajax - but our manager doesn’t seem to have a clue how to extract or nourish that.

Lee565

we paid more out for de beek than what this guy cost, there are some missed transfers by our club that have me scratching my head in recent years, to think we could have have gone for olmo, ziyech and tielemans for a combined 100 million, imagine the difference that would have made to our side in positions that we have been struggling with in years.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
nah completely different styles of player, McTominay is that Darren Fletcher/Jordan Henderson type midfielder and that's the level he should aspire to get to. Tielemans is much more of a creative attacking midfielder, not sure who I'd compare him with as I don't think he'll ever get the numbers that the obvious names got

neilv93

You're right, not sure how I didn't notice that!

Too much beer and crying at the result.
Trying to make me look bad! ;) I thought we should've been in for him at the same and a real shame we weren't. Dread to imagine what he'd cost in today's market - although probably worth it. That said, for Utd's goals, I'd rather Ndidi!

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Youri is in the best form of his life, while Mct has slowed down a bit. Otherwise I don't think they are planets apart or anything. I believe in young Scotty's potential, lets see if he can take it up another level next season.
Youri has improved each season & that would lead you to believe he can keep improving. I'm not sure that Scotty has continued to improve or will even get any better without top class coaching.