Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

Insert numerous expletives.

This deal only shows me that our transfer policy is still a mess

A quiet, unassuming character with previous captaincy experience. A good way to help improve not only our playing squad but also our dressing room.

Still young. Worth double in a couple of hours.

Utter madness.

Don’t want to write a potential kid off but we’ve instead been linked to Longstaff who’s had a fraction of games. And let’s not forget only 1 year younger
He plays a different role to Longstaff. We are most likely letting Tielemans go because we've decided to sign a better attacking midfielder in Fernandes. We will still need to sign a more defensive minded midfielder (probably Longstaff)

I do think Tielemans could have been a decent signing to replace the likes of Pereira and Fred in the squad but signing 3 midfielders in one summer is probably too much to expect from Woodward and the Glazers who seem to have lost interest in throwing money around.

Pughnichi

To be fair though, Tielemans flopped at Monaco and has half a season with Leicester as evidence of his rehabilitation. I have not seen enough of him to make a definitive call one way or another but again, if he was available at such a bargain price and is such a sure fire prospect why were Leicester the only team interested? I think he could go either way at this point and obviously our scouts feel the same way.
Everyone flopped at Monaco. And he was arguably Leicester’s best player last season despite playing a mere 6 months. No elite teams were in for him because he wouldn’t get into their teams. Problem is, we ain’t an elite team anymore and are closer to Everton and Leicester than we are City and Liverpool. To put it plain and simple, he would improve us and that’s the aim surely.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
don't need it, owners are extremely rich and very generous with their spending
Really? You're a little bit over £70m so far. Your average net spend in last 3 years is around £25m.

Also, you're probably thinking am making a snarky remark about us getting Maguire. Selling Maguire for +80 million would be fantastic business. So, in a way am kinda hoping you're right here.

Gandalf

Everyone flopped at Monaco. And he was arguably Leicester’s best player last season despite playing a mere 6 months. No elite teams were in for him because he wouldn’t get into their teams. Problem is, we ain’t an elite team anymore and are closer to Everton and Leicester than we are City and Liverpool. To put it plain and simple, he would improve us and that’s the aim surely.
He was not even close to their best player last season. He had a good 4 or 5 months but he is not close to the level of Vardy and honestly in the midfield Ndidi and Madison were both better although in different roles. I also didn't say just elite teams I said nobody else made a bid for him. We still do not know exactly who our targets are and I am very prepared to be massively disappointed but we have been linked to about 30 different midfielders so far. If we did not bid for Tielemans we must think we can do better, we may be wrong but Tielemans has hardly done enough to be considered a certain success if we bought him.

Leicester_Loyal

Supports
Leicester
You made contact about him, but made no formal offer. Spurs had other targets. This was from a reliable Belgian journo, I can't link the tweet at the moment unfortunately.

Ultimately we were the only suitors who actually made an offer.

RoyH1

My top choice for the summer. If he was so good why were spurs or Arsenal not interested?

Sometimes,really like to know whats going in our Scouts mind when they make calls like this.

Leicester will give him the platform to settle down. He will be a shrewd signing.
I agree. We’ve previously read rumors about scouts saying that Isco’s head was too big or de Ligts dad was too fat. These have been shot down by some of our more knowledgeable posters in the CAF. But you really have to wonder how much input our scouts have (if at all) on our transfer policy.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
His form for Monaco and his last season at Anderlecht are huge question marks. Where he simply wasn't good enough. He's young as well though. But yeah I can see why others wouldn't be in for him.

Anything can happen in six months, lesser players have tore up the league in that time. Ighalo for example was brilliant at Watford for example and is now nearly getting relegated from the Chinese Super League.
Half season in EPL as probation for a young player is good enough and there is zero risk for Leicester. Tielemans already proved he can play with Maddison, Niddi and Vardy, and also with the manager's tactic. That's what matters.

Nick7

Half season in EPL as probation for a young player is good enough and there is zero risk for Leicester. Tielemans already proved he can play with Maddison, Niddi and Vardy, and also with the manager's tactic. That's what matters.
Yeah he's a good signing for Leicester. But for other clubs? It's a risk. Especially us.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah he's a good signing for Leicester. But for other clubs? It's a risk. Especially us.
Agreed. Man Utd at current state probably is too much for him to handle and he may slump like he did in Monaco again. I do not know if Man Utd try to sign him or not, but I would not be surprise if Tielemans only wants Leicester move this summer for his development.

Relfy

I think we have made a mistake in not signing him. Hopefully we're not trying to do so in 12 months time for double the money

passing-wind

This opinion is spoken as if we have one of the best midfields in the europe. We have quite easily the worst midfield in the top 6 !! Who is Tielemans competing against ? Mctomminay, Fred, Pereira ? It's absolutely comical that he's perceived as a risk.

The midfield is an area where the club has wasted 190 million combined in fees. Tielemans has had a better season in 6 months than what Ander Pereira has had in his entire 8 year career at this club.

If a first touch exists, can pass a ball and has basic positional sense, you are good enough for our current midfield.

tomaldinho1

Should have been all over this guy, £40m in today's market is phenomenal value.

Nick7

This opinion is spoken as if we have one of the best midfields in the europe. We have quite easily the worst midfield in the top 6 !! Who is Tielemans competing against ? Mctomminay, Fred, Pereira ? It's absolutely comical that he's perceived as a risk.

The midfield is an area where the club has wasted 190 million combined in fees. Tielemans has had a better season in 6 months than what Ander Pereira has had in his entire 8 year career at this club.

If a first touch exists, can pass a ball and has basic positional sense, you are good enough for our current midfield.
There's so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start, but go ahead continue your meltdown.

One of the best mids in the world and we missed on him.
Can't tell if you're being serious. How does a good 6 months on the back of two and a half subpar years make him one of the best in the world?

Jacob

Should've, would've, could've...

We always go after shit and miss out on the best, good ol' caf.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
We couldn't spend 40m on this guy because we seem to be (allegedly) waiting on Pogba, yet Barcelona are in the conversation to buy Griezzman and Neymar in one window.

Even Spurs will be signing midfielders which will be better than our combined midfield for next season only this summer. It's just bonkers that our fans are not more vocal against this crap.

How is it possible that our club is run by such greedy and incompetent fools?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Agreed. Man Utd at current state probably is too much for him to handle and he may slump like he did in Monaco again. I do not know if Man Utd try to sign him or not, but I would not be surprise if Tielemans only wants Leicester move this summer for his development.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Leicester have now got a much better squad than the one they won the league with. I'd still bet on them getting nowhere near the top 6 though.

RD94

One of the best mids in the world and we missed on him.
Ironic?

He is a good player but not good enough to be considered some kind of mistake for not buying him.He is not a runner or good in pressing systems.Bruno Fernandes is a better choice more suited to pressing and technically better in relatively similar role.

Leicester_Loyal

Supports
Leicester
Leicester have now got a much better squad than the one they won the league with. I'd still bet on them getting nowhere near the top 6 though.
Some Leicester fans and fans of opposing teams are going into meltdown about us, claiming we're gonna be 4th, ignore them. We will be aiming for top 6, that would be a very good season for us. However, with the squad we had last season, the dire state of the top 6, the amount of money we've spent and the lack of European football, we need to definitely be aiming for top 6.

Mastoness

Tielemans was a risk for 40mil and isn't proven enough but 9 PL games Longstaff for 30mil is a great fit for us :rolleyes:.

Renegade

I don’t understand why he had to be a Pogba replacement rather than a Pogba partner.

We’re going to see Matic playing 30+ games this season aren’t we?

Leicester_Loyal

Supports
Leicester
Apparently the actual fee was 35 million with no future clauses or add ons. Very good business!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Why are people losing their tits over Tielemans ?
Because he's the type of player we need in our midfield, is better than any of our current midfielders bar the 1 midfielder who wants to leave anyway, had an excellent 6 months in the premier league after being a really highly rated young player for years now, only just turned 22, wanted to play for United, and was only £40m. It was a no brainer signing that ticked ALL of the boxes to fill a problem position, at a reasonable price. Instead, what are we doing? Enquiring about Lemina?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Waste of a post. While I am truly gutted we missed on Tielemans, probably better to just compare against McT and not Pereira. Also I have no idea why are you bringing up the 8 years history of Pereira. You are comparing him since he was playing in u17 ffs.

McT had a better season last season for us. May be the club has different ideas on the game time given to him.

AJ10

Another embarrassing post, name resembles quality of post.

passing-wind

Another embarrassing post, name resembles quality of post.
Strangely you've provided no insight into why you might think our midfield is good enough or why Tielemans is a risk at 40 million when supposedly theres no risk in us already having wasted 190 million in central midfield.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
It's not much better. It's more well rounded and more technically gifted overall, but Mahrez & Kante were a sprinkle of gold dust this current team still lacks despite a very strong core, and Vardy isn't quite what he was a few seasons ago. Those three as a trio alongside a bunch of players who knew how to perform their roles were very effective.

Mahrez was stupidly good that year and a genuine star who could take a team to a different level. Kante was stupidly good as well, and two players performing at a world class level can take a team up a level or two as long as their teammates do their jobs and stick to the system, which the other Leicester players did.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why are people losing their tits over Tielemans ?
He really was very good at Leicester, a catalyst behind their brilliant form at the end of the season and one of the best midfielders in the league for 6 months.

He's also 22 and in this market 40 million isn't expensive, so honestly I am surprised bigger clubs weren't in for him. Seems like a very low risk high reward transfer for a player proven to be effective in the league and one who has always been tipped to go on to big things.

Status
Not open for further replies.