Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Buy them both!

We have just lost Herrera and the midfield wasn’t exactly stacked with quality options as it was anyway. The money is there to be spent and we need more than one midfielder, buy Longstaff and Tielemans which would be great business.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fair point, but Tielemans did go to Monaco with a big reputation, and understandably so, and it's hardly a crime to have had a blip there recently, so we aren't just judging him on his short time with Leicester, but that did at least prove he is up the PL, and could yet be the player Monaco thought they were getting.
Tbf his time at Anderlecht was up and down and many Belgian based fans doubted he could reach the heights many thought he could before he left for Monaco. The thread could be found on this forum somewhere related to his time at Anderlecht. It was deemed he hadn't made progress to the degree expected off him. His career thus far has been mostly all hype with little evidence he could cut it at a big club until his short stint at Leicester.

The Nani

His marketing team is his left and right foot that have caught the attention of our scouts. Ed should definitely hire both pegs for our midfield.
Come on, mate. If he does anything of note we’d have to view it as a bonus. The club’s interest in him is the only hype surrounding him to date while Tielemans was highly touted from a young age with Anderlecht.

settembrini

Tielemans > Rabiot > Longstaff.

The uncertainty over Pogba is a problem for us. Difficult to plan our team for next season if Solskjaer doesn't know if such a big player will be here or not.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He had a career before Monaco.
He had a up and down career in the Belgian league. I suggest you read a thread that exists on this forum related to his time at Anderlecht and the views of the Belgian fans.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Come on, mate. If he does anything of note we’d have to view it as a bonus. The club’s interest in him is the only hype surrounding him to date while Tielemans was highly touted from a young age with Anderlecht.
Tielemans has mostly been hype since he broke through as a 16 year old in Belgium tbf. His star wasn't shining as bright before he left Belgium with many Belgian fans doubting his actual true level.

sp_107

Pogba and Mata leaving, Matic done

Talk of ex shaktar manager currently at Roma wants Feed on either loan or permanent transfer, means we need 2/3 top midfielders so one of longstaff and Tielmans would be good along with someone like Barella/Rabiot and Bruno

settembrini

Tielemans had four seasons in Belgium and in his first two he won the young player of the year (when he was 16 and 17) and in his last he won the adult player of the year (when he was 19).

The blemish on his career is his stint at Monaco but he joined them at a terrible time when their best players were being poached by richer sides and Jardim was quickly sacked and replaced by Henry.

He took to the PL like a duck to water last season and would be an excellent signing for us.

Last edited:

Smores

He looked fantastic for Leicester whenever i watched him. Very much on board with this one.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tielemans had four seasons in Belgium and in his first two he won the young player of the year (when he was 16 and 17) and in his last he won the adult player of the year (when he was 19).

The blemish on his career is his stint at Monaco but he joined them at a terrible time when their best players were being poached by richer sides and Jardim was quickly sacked and replaced by Henry.

He took to the PL like a duck to water last season and would be an excellent signing for us.
No, Tielemans joined Monaco in 2017, he was part of a good team and Jardim wasn't quickly sacked and replaced by Henry.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He had a very good 13 games with Leicester. This is what he is now being judged on.
That's good enough to start at United United apparently after being labelled among the biggest flops in the French league by 'France Football magazine'

But Longstaff who IMO was better than Tielemans playing for a relegation threatened team would be a bad signing apparently.

settembrini

No, Tielemans joined Monaco in 2017, he was part of a good team and Jardim wasn't quickly sacked and replaced by Henry.
You are right, sorry. I knew that Tielemans joined them the same summer that they lost Mbappe, Mendy, Bakayoko and Bernardo Silva and I thought that led to their immediate collapse. But I see now it was the following year it all went wrong and Jardim got sacked.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You are right, sorry. I knew that Tielemans joined them the same summer that they lost Mbappe, Mendy, Bakayoko and Bernardo Silva and I thought that led to their immediate collapse. But I see now it was the following year it all went wrong and Jardim got sacked.
Also Bakayoko isn't a good player and it's the player that he "replaced". Bakayoko had 6 good months in his career at Monaco. Rony Lopes had a breakout season and was excellent, not as good as Bernardo but still pretty good. Mendy replacements were bad and Mbappé was basically replaced by Jovetic and Baldé Keita. Tielemans was bad by himself and due to his own shortcomings, I wouldn't be against his signing but people need to keep their expectations and the hype in check, Tielemans is a young player with a lot of flaws who has shown a lot of inconsistency.

Varun

Staff
He had a up and down career in the Belgian league. I suggest you read a thread that exists on this forum related to his time at Anderlecht and the views of the Belgian fans.
Shocking given he was what, 17?

Art

Art the artist
At the price that's being quoted, it wouldn't hurt at all to get Tielemans and Longstaff. 65m (40+25) for 2 promising young versatile center mids is great business.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
At the price that's being quoted, it wouldn't hurt at all to get Tielemans and Longstaff. 65m (40+25) for 2 promising young versatile center mids is great business.
I agree with this and woudn't mind seeing both at the club.

tob

I agree with this and woudn't mind seeing both at the club.
Agree.

If Pogba goes - use the money to bring in Bruno Fernandes.

AJ10

This.

Varun

Staff
Bang on.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Never said it was 'shocking' but I personally wouldn't pay too much attention to how he did in a league that is comparable to League 1 in my country.
And which league is that? Since breaking through, at 16 years old, he has repeatedly spent seasons in the Europa and Champions League.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And which league is that? Since breaking through, at 16 years old, he has repeatedly spent seasons in the Europa and Champions League.
Thd Belgian top flight is very poor and i'd compare it to being closer to league one in my country England. No disrespect intended.

The players failure at Monaco where his mentality was questioned when the chips were down should ring alarm bells in our current malaise. But for the reported fee, he might be a risk worth taking.

Muppetry_man

Reading in the Twitter Tranfers topic ... Germany
We need to stop thinking, if Pogba leaves and start thinking we need either way more people in the midfield since Matic is old and incapable of playing in all the games the whole season.

Pereira isn't taking the world alight as well, so that leaves us with McSauce, Fred and Pogba. We can definitely squeeze at least 1 more midfielder, potentially 2. IF Pogba leaves then we need 2 for sure.

Like some other poster said in the Wan-Bissaka thread "If Dalot can make the RB his spot despite us having Wan-Bissaka, that is good, if he cannot then we are still in better position" ~
We need competition so everyone can start thinking they won't be playing week in week out if they don't perform. Also that will give us chances when players are in dip of their form.

Reactions: Jippy

Mcking

That's good enough to start at United United apparently after being labelled among the biggest flops in the French league by 'France Football magazine'

But Longstaff who IMO was better than Tielemans playing for a relegation threatened team would be a bad signing apparently.
Tielemans was superb for Leicester, and has played many games at international level too.

dasty

If we did actually get Tielemans and Bruno, together with Pogba we actually have 3 midfielders that are very very good at long shots. Teams would have to close our midfielders down very quickly or risk them getting a shot off.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don’t see this happening and kind of don’t want it too either.

If we want a dynamic midfield I don’t think he’s the one we need.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Tielemans was superb for Leicester, and has played many games at international level too.
Playing games at international doesn't mean anything regards improving United or we'd have Meunier already at the club ahead of the uncapped Wan Bissaka.

Longstaff was also superb for a relegation threatened team in the PL.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We lost Fellaini and Herrera. I won't be surprised if 2 between Matic, Fred and Pogba would leave as well. We would need at least 2 CMs, probably more.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we did actually get Tielemans and Bruno, together with Pogba we actually have 3 midfielders that are very very good at long shots. Teams would have to close our midfielders down very quickly or risk them getting a shot off.
Playing all three together would be suicidal IMO.

dasty

Playing all three together would be suicidal IMO.
Of course not all three at the same time. Getting one of them on against tired legs that are slower at closing down could be great.

Bestietom

If we get Fernandes which I think looks likely, we will also need a Partey or Ndombele for Midfield. We had a big hole in midfield last season and this is where the heartbeat of any good team is.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What midfield position suits him best do you guys think? Do you think he's a #6 #8 #10??

Status
Not open for further replies.