Youri Tielemans

Status
Not open for further replies.

starman

I'm prepared to cut the club some slack on this one, his move to Monaco was awful and it raised serious questions as to whether the lad can hack it and the highest level. If he continues to smash it at Leicester he'll be worth paying the extra to get him but that's a big if right now
His loan was basically a free assessment of him, instead of what we usually do for a player like him of sitting on our hands and waiting for another PL team to buy the player and then wait to see how they perform and then pay double or triple later. He showed he is very capable and adapted to the PL already. If Leicester want 85m for Maguire, god knows what they will want for Tielemans in a year or two..

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
True, but Tielemans is 22, was just sensational in his time at the PL and has been a big talent for a while. Sure he had his struggles but as a young player that's not unexpected.

I feel like a 40 mill punt for the chance of getting a potentially world class cm in 2019 is nothing, certainly I'd have been happy if we took that risk. Just surprises me that Leicester have been able to seal this one, but fair play to them because he was so key to their great form at the end of the season.
He was good but he definitely wasn’t sensational.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He was good but he definitely wasn’t sensational.
I thought he was brilliant once he settled a little. Was absolutely crucial to their fantastic run.

Maybe I just caught the few games where he was especially good, but whenever I watched him I was seriously impressed, more so than by anyone else in the Leicester team.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ffs. This shouldve been such an easy deal for us to complete. Leicester literally have a better midfield group than we do (and as of now, also have a better back 4 than we do). Great signing for them, crazy that we ignored it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Ffs. This shouldve been such an easy deal for us to complete. Leicester literally have a better midfield group than we do (and as of now, also have a better back 4 than we do). Great signing for them, crazy that we ignored it.
Tbf, I think this can be said for most of the top six now.

Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison is a really good trio of midfielders. Very well rounded as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Whether they will at the end of the window depends on if we lose Pogba or not and who we'll sign to replace Herrera, who seriously needs replacing. They have a very talented midfield group, in fairness.

We're making moves to sign one of their starting CBs so naturally their back 4 will weaken. It's a solid back line but I think ours is only missing a good CB. CB aside I'm happy with what we have in defence.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah watch us try to sign him for 100 mln pounds in two-three years, it's so fecking stupid it's incredible. I couldn't say shit if it was some Liverpool or City getting him, fine, but letting him go to Leicester is just daft.

bosnian_red

Tbf, I think this can be said for most of the top six now.

Ndidi, Tielemans, Maddison is a really good trio of midfielders. Very well rounded as well.
Yeah, really well balanced side they have especially through midfield and the back 4. Their front 3 is the only thing they need to work on, which tbf they are.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
My top choice for the summer. If he was so good why were spurs or Arsenal not interested?

Sometimes,really like to know whats going in our Scouts mind when they make calls like this.

Leicester will give him the platform to settle down. He will be a shrewd signing.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, really well balanced side they have especially through midfield and the back 4. Their front 3 is the only thing they need to work on, which tbf they are.
Don't rate Schmeichel as a top six keeper and not a huge fan of Evans (though he had a good season) but Maguire and their fullbacks are all quality. I'd have Pereira/Chilwell starting for us every day of the week.

Vardy is a really good striker tbf but otherwise yeah, they lack another top attacker since Mahrez up and left. They have a fantastic spine to their team though.

bosnian_red

Whether they will at the end of the window depends on if we lose Pogba or not and who we'll sign to replace Herrera, who seriously needs replacing. They have a very talented midfield group, in fairness.

We're making moves to sign one of their starting CBs so naturally their back 4 will weaken. It's a solid back line but I think ours is only missing a good CB. CB aside I'm happy with what we have in defence.
Yeah agree for the most part, not much between the fullbacks for both clubs but I'd say theirs are either more proven or more complete/better on the ball compared to ours, while Maguire is the best CB of the group. For midfield though its just annoying. Herrera gone, and we havent replaced him with anyone and it looks horrendously balanced. Even if we sign one, we still have Pogba who doesnt want to be here and then are likely starting someone else who isn't good enough to complete the 3. Tielemans was a very reasonably priced option who wouldve walked into our starting 11 and give us a lot of class on the ball in midfield, yet they got him without much resistance. Spurs, Arsenal and United could all use him in their starting 11's IMO, and with him being only 22, and previously had the history of being one of the most sought after young players in Europe, and impressed in the premier league... just seemed like such an obvious signing.

bosnian_red

My top choice for the summer. If he was so good why were spurs or Arsenal not interested?

Sometimes,really like to know whats going in our Scouts mind when they make calls like this.

Leicester will give him the platform to settle down. He will be a shrewd signing.
Spurs, arsenal and United all couldve used him tbh. Only £40m too.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
with this deal now complete Leicester have spent the most money so far this window

Red_Jamie

What a ridiculous player to miss out on. And for a team with the lack of midfield options that we possess. Absolutely baffling! A snip at £40m

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Sigh. Would’ve been great value, I can only assume we haven’t gone for him because we’re getting Fernandes and didn’t want to ruffle Leicester’s feathers.

bonothom

United will be in for him in a years time when his value will be trebled. United are desperate for midfield players and they never even bothered to look at Tielemans.

Gandalf

United will be in for him in a years time when his value will be trebled. United are desperate for midfield players and they never even bothered to look at Tielemans.
Honestly not a single big club from any of the big leagues was interested at this supposed bargain price. On paper he looks great but the lack of interest from anyone other than Leicester suggests maybe our scouts know better than we do and are not getting their heads turned by a hot streak over half of a season.

Pughnichi

Insert numerous expletives.

This deal only shows me that our transfer policy is still a mess

A quiet, unassuming character with previous captaincy experience. A good way to help improve not only our playing squad but also our dressing room.

Still young. Worth double in a couple of hours.

Utter madness.

Don’t want to write a potential kid off but we’ve instead been linked to Longstaff who’s had a fraction of games. And let’s not forget only 1 year younger

mu4c_20le

I really hope it's because we can't figure out where to fit him in our system, because i'm pretty sure he's been on our scouts' radar since he broke through at Anderlecht.

Lee565

Amazing how some United fans have tried to downplay Tielemans quality but are cool with acting like Longstaff is good enough to be a starter at United.

I think I would trust Leicester's current track record with recruitment than our own at the moment.

0le

Insert numerous expletives.

This deal only shows me that our transfer policy is still a mess

A quiet, unassuming character with previous captaincy experience. A good way to help improve not only our playing squad but also our dressing room.

Still young. Worth double in a couple of hours.

Utter madness.

Don’t want to write a potential kid off but we’ve instead been linked to Longstaff who’s had a fraction of games. And let’s not forget only 1 year younger
3 less PL games than Tielemans. Not that big a deal. How can you moan that our transfer policy is a mess, then when we target a potential upcoming talent, moan because he doesn't fit precisely what you want...

Varun

Staff
Gotta wonder who we're targeting if Tielemans isn't considered good enough :lol:

Pughnichi

3 less PL games than Tielemans. Not that big a deal. How can you moan that our transfer policy is a mess, then when we target a potential upcoming talent, moan because he doesn't fit precisely what you want...
Hmmm. You do realise Tielemans has played European football with Anderlecht, was club captain and has played close to 300 competitive games. They’re incomparable.

Reactions: Varun

Gandalf

Hmmm. You do realise Tielemans has played European football with Anderlecht, was club captain and has played close to 300 competitive games. They’re incomparable.
To be fair though, Tielemans flopped at Monaco and has half a season with Leicester as evidence of his rehabilitation. I have not seen enough of him to make a definitive call one way or another but again, if he was available at such a bargain price and is such a sure fire prospect why were Leicester the only team interested? I think he could go either way at this point and obviously our scouts feel the same way.

Nick7

Will be interested to see how he does next season. Still a big gamble given his form for Monaco.

passing-wind

Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi.

It's a balanced midfield which is the key someone to shield the defence a no 6 and no 8. I've got no idea why the stupidity of our scouting / management have failed to get either a free Rabiot or Tielemans at 40 million. The transfer activity this window has been an absolute disgrace not due to who we have signed but who we have missed out on. Next season an impending failure unless Solskjaer can turn into a magician overnight.

Holocene

Safe to say Leicester have a better midfield than we do. Better than Arsenal's too.

Maddison - Ndidi - Tielemans. All only 22.

I seriously hope we have some midfielders lined up.

Leicester_Loyal

Supports
Leicester
Honestly, I am too amazed as to how no-one else has challenged us for his signature, he transformed this team from January onwards. It is a brilliant signing for us, I can't believe it.

He'll be here for 18-24 months and then he'll be off to one of the big boys I reckon.

Last edited:

Lee565

Safe to say Leicester have a better midfield than we do. Better than Arsenal's too.

Maddison - Ndidi - Tielemans. All only 22.

I seriously hope we have some midfielders lined up.
Better than Chelsea's too.

Nick7

Honestly, I am too amazed at to how no-one else has challenged us for his signature, he transformed this team from January onwards. It is a brilliant signing for us, I can't believe it.

He'll be here for 18-24 months and then he'll be off to one of the big boys I reckon.
His form for Monaco and his last season at Anderlecht are huge question marks. Where he simply wasn't good enough. He's young as well though. But yeah I can see why others wouldn't be in for him.

Anything can happen in six months, lesser players have tore up the league in that time. Ighalo for example was brilliant at Watford for example and is now nearly getting relegated from the Chinese Super League.

Status
Not open for further replies.