Youri Tielemans | signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee565

Watch him go super cheap to the likes of Liverpool or Madrid to bolster their already superior midfield whilst we flirt with rice or Bellingham all summer for an astronomical fee

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
You said it right there. Good.

We need better then good.

When is the last time we signed a great midfield player besides Bruno? Carrick?

I'd rather we promote youngsters then to buy mediocre players.
It's gonna go the Fred, Herrera, Kagawa way.
Labeled as not good enough.
Personally, I'm of almost the exact opposite opinion. Realistically we need a significant rebuild of our team, and IMO the best way to do that is to get quite a few 'good' players for fairly cheap, as long as they are players who obviously suit playing the style and system that the new manager and we as a club want to move towards. None of them may be individually amazing, but the idea is that it would then give us a far better overall squad that we can then look to improve with one or two big signings later on (ie. very similar to how this Liverpool team was built).

If we try to get 'great' players be ready to spend big money on one or two at a time, and them to continue to be surrounded by unsuitable players and the team as a whole still struggles. Now obviously if we can get a great player for fairly cheap then by all means, but it's much more difficult.

In saying that, I don't think Tielemans himself is the right option.

Gandalf

For £25m its value for money.
Seeing this figure bandied around a lot in the thread and I do realize that the oh so reliable media have mentioned this number due to him entering the last year of his contract but do you really believe the same Leicester City that dug in their heels for 80M for slabhead are going to let him go to another PL side for 25M? It is not even in the realms of possibility, specifically when half a dozen big clubs are already linked with him so a bidding war is likely. The bottom line is he cost them 40M and they will want to see at least some profit over that or they will just hold on to him. I doubt anything below 50M gets it done as a minimum and so now ask yourself is he worth that much? I certainly don't think he is.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
but it's not quite Koopmeiners though, is it
:lol:
Koopmeiners for £10.8m was a fabulous bit of business from Atalanta. They’ve got a leader outstanding passer with a great engine and tactical intelligence. He’s gone on to be a full Netherlands international starter too and easily doubled his value now.

Heck he’s even developing his attacking play to the point where he’s been playing as a number 10 for Atalanta too!

He’s a beautiful player and I hope to see him in the PL some day.
Seeing this figure bandied around a lot in the thread and I do realize that the oh so reliable media have mentioned this number due to him entering the last year of his contract but do you really believe the same Leicester City that dug in their heels for 80M for slabhead are going to let him go to another PL side for 25M? It is not even in the realms of possibility, specifically when half a dozen big clubs are already linked with him so a bidding war is likely. The bottom line is he cost them 40M and they will want to see at least some profit over that or they will just hold on to him. I doubt anything below 50M gets it done as a minimum and so now ask yourself is he worth that much? I certainly don't think he is.
Leicester will not be able to demand £40m for an asset in the last year of his contract. They have really struggled financially recently.

Gandalf

Leicester will not be able to demand £40m for an asset in the last year of his contract. They have really struggled financially recently.
They are not a selling club though. Most of the wealth of the PL clubs comes from television revenues and I would be frankly amazed if they were willing to take a loss on him. Real Madrid are being linked amongst others, there is no chance the price stays low with multiple bidders.

Ralph1386

Watch him go super cheap to the likes of Liverpool or Madrid to bolster their already superior midfield whilst we flirt with rice or Bellingham all summer for an astronomical fee
Sadly this is how it feels like we are run these days.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
They are not a selling club though. Most of the wealth of the PL clubs comes from television revenues and I would be frankly amazed if they were willing to take a loss on him. Real Madrid are being linked amongst others, there is no chance the price stays low with multiple bidders.
Compared to holding on to him for another season, getting probably shite performances because he doesn't want to be there, and then making an even bigger loss by losing him for literally nothing?

It does seem a little low, but if he wants out and his contract expires in a years time, they aren't in any position to demand upward of the £40m they paid for him.

Idxomer

Compared to holding on to him for another season, getting probably shite performances because he doesn't want to be there, and then making an even bigger loss by losing him for literally nothing?

It does seem a little low, but if he wants out and his contract expires in a years time, they aren't in any position to demand upward of the £40m they paid for him.
Yeah, and it's clear he would have no problem waiting another year and leaving for free.

Gandalf

Not going to keep banging on about this but at the end of the day he is a key part of their team and who are they getting to replace him for 25M? Increasingly teams are inclined to let a contract run down and get that extra year out of the player rather than take a low ball offer. Last comment on this because we won't know either way until the summer.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s £25m now, or an entire season of half arsed performances + nothing. You choose.

Deery

Dreary
Honestly think McT is a better player - way more consistent.
My wife’s side of the family are all Leicester City supporters and find it funny so many clubs would be interested in him because he’s been poor this season.
I seen a post suggesting he’s a budget Pogba….totally agree. If we bought him to build a midfield around, then this new direction is going to fail quickly.
Totally agree, he’s been terrible for Leicester and Belgium this season. It’s clearly obvious from this thread people don’t watch much football outside of United, because they’re looking shot of Rashford for the same reasons. Neves is the budget midfielder we should aim for.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Leicester aren’t a selling club? Right…..

Delve into their most recent financial reports and they explicitly mention how contract extensions and incomings are offset by player sales. It does not fit into their model to allow a player to leave on a free they can’t afford it.

Every position you drop in the table is roughly a £25m drop in revenue (source Tifo) so Leicester aren’t going to be taking in massive amounts relative to other sides. At best this season they can finish 9th.

They cannot seriously expect a return on investment. Better to take £25m and invest in the next Tielemans than have him leave for free.

Tielemans has no intention of renewal has given the club his formative years and is entering his peak. I can’t see for one second him or his agent allowing him to miss out on a move now.
Not going to keep banging on about this but at the end of the day he is a key part of their team and who are they getting to replace him for 25M? Increasingly teams are inclined to let a contract run down and get that extra year out of the player rather than take a low ball offer. Last comment on this because we won't know either way until the summer.
There are plenty of young CMs they could invest in that would join the PL given the chance.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Isn't he a bit hit and miss? Or are people still going by his reputation years ago?

EtH

I’ve been a fan of this signing for a while, but his performances the past year or so really concern me. Not sure he’s cut out for the top tier, whatever the price.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah but for £25m…
that could be spent on other areas. Signing another inconsistent player living off past reputation is what the club should be getting away from.

Donut

He’s good and ready for a step up, the kind of logical PL signing Liverpool did with Mane and Jota.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’d rather bring in neves from wolves instead, he’d offer so much more to the side alongside a DM like Kamara

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
that could be spent on other areas. Signing another inconsistent player living off past reputation is what the club should be getting away from.
I agree and I’m not saying I actually want Tielemans merely defending the point that I do think he’d cost around £25m given the situation and that for that sum of money it is a good deal.

lenny_1248

Yeah if you have a free roaming number 10. But this is where systems and balance comes into play. What do you require us to have then? Two number 6’s? How can we play good attacking football that way?
It has nothing to do with him being an 8/attacking mf. He's just lazy and it will always be a problem.
KdB and B.Silva are attacking midfielders (8's), but they work their butt off. Tielemans and Pogba, for instance, do not, and it will always be a problem.
No matter the style of play or system. No matter who is the coach: Ole or Pep.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It’s £25m now, or an entire season of half arsed performances + nothing. You choose.
He will play in the form of his life just like Dembele for his next big contract and huge sign on fee for being a free transfer.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeh. Another silly case of CLub letting a player down to 1 year left on his contract. Should either sold him or tied him to another contract last Summer.

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Let’s say he is intent on leaving for a champions league club. Arsenal are likely to beat you to 4th, at least right now and are also supposedly interested in him. Unless you pull a classic Woodward move of offering ludicrous wages I don’t know why he would choose you over an actual CL club. United are not as attractive as they used to be.

Mainoldo

Let’s say he is intent on leaving for a champions league club. Arsenal are likely to beat you to 4th, at least right now and are also supposedly interested in him. Unless you pull a classic Woodward move of offering ludicrous wages I don’t know why he would choose you over an actual CL club. United are not as attractive as they used to be.
It’s Manchester United. It’s not like Arsenal will have a bigger chance of qualifying next year. So in 12 months it works out to be a stupid decision

gajender

Yeh. Another silly case of CLub letting a player down to 1 year left on his contract. Should either sold him or tied him to another contract last Summer.
What are you on about as if Players have no agency regarding their career , it's always their decision not the club's it seems you are confused about that .

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
One problem I think with Tielemans, potentially, is that he's played a crazy number of minutes at his age, possibly more than any other player at his age in history. At 24, there's already move than 450 senior (club, international and international U21) games in his body. I do wonder if he will age quite drastically as he gets closer to thirty.

yamo123x

No thanks, better options out there, not had a good season for Leicester....would rather see Neves and Rice

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
When he's good, he's very good. When he's bad, he's very bad.
He has no middle ground form.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Gave away a pen at the weekend and got Leicester in trouble with multiple sloppy passes tonight. One lead to a goal.
He has been mainly average for Leicester this season with only occasional flashes of brilliance. His form coupled with his contact means we will be lucky to get 25-30 for him this Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.