Youri Tielemans | signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapor trail

Good player more qualities than Fred / Mctomminay. Pogba wasn't consistent but he had quality the midfield is the area of biggest concern. If he's supposedly 25 million it's a good opportunity.

croadyman

If our scouting department still can't look beyond options as obvious as these (no offence intended, its just the standard bunch talked about by casual football fans such as me and you) then we'll never get out of this mess.

We need to be identifying the next Kante, Fofana, Mane, Salah etc, as we no longer have the luxury or the pull to simply cherry pick this year's RVP, Rooney or Rio.
Yeah our scouting has to improve, like you say we need to discover some potential gems

Bwuk

Hmm. I really like Tielemans, but if we sign Eriksen & De Jong, on top of already having Bruno/VdB and youth like Hannibal etc it's probably overkill.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Honestly I don't really rate him. Blows too hot and cold for me.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bit on the fence with Tielemans. He has some stuff he’s very good at and others that he’s quite poor with. Most of that is defensive work, which our midfield already lacks too.

He was basically on holiday for Leicester in midfield last season too, so that doesn’t play well in my recent rating of the player

CM

I wouldn't touch him. If people were frustrated by Pogba, Tielemans will make you pull your hair out.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I like this guy, he could be a good signing. I’d like to think ETH could increase his level from what we’ve seen at Leicester whic was at times very good, if a little sporadic.

I like Neves too but I feel like Youri has more potential.

BerryBerryShrew

Maybe the back-up plan to Eriksen (if Ten Hag is planning on using Eriksen a bit more withdrawn as a number 8 that is)
Yep. I think Eriksen in a more withdrawn role would offer more than Tielemans would and there would be a £30m saving as well.

Vapor trail

On form he's one of the best in his position in the league. If it's a relatively moderate fee it would be decent business. Tielemans is miles above Mctomminay / Fred when it would come to maintaing possession.

Strootman's Finger

I don't get why this link is coming when FDJ is essentially done. Do they not occupy the same place on the pitch? More of a box to box type player that in a pinch can play deeper, but doesn't excel at it because it's not their natural position?

AltiUn

I don't get why this link is coming when FDJ is essentially done. Do they not occupy the same place on the pitch? More of a box to box type player that in a pinch can play deeper, but doesn't excel at it because it's not their natural position?
Not really. Frenkie de Jong does excel deeper, that is his natural position, he's just not a DM. Tielemans is very much a B2B, you want him as close to the opposition box as you can really.

Strootman's Finger

Not really. Frenkie de Jong does excel deeper, that is his natural position, he's just not a DM. Tielemans is very much a B2B, you want him as close to the opposition box as you can really.
According to Ten Hag, the man that has gotten the best out of De Jong, that is exactly where he wants De Jong. I know for Netherlands he plays deeper, but I don't think that is Ten Hag's intent. Although it may be in the first year, until he realizes he needs that Kante type player to play with him.

AltiUn

According to Ten Hag, the man that has gotten the best out of De Jong, that is exactly where he wants De Jong. I know for Netherlands he plays deeper, but I don't think that is Ten Hag's intent. Although it may be in the first year, until he realizes he needs that Kante type player to play with him.
From the horse's mouth:

Trex

De Jong play as the deepest midfielder under Ten Hag but in a double pivot with a discipline partner, De Jong drops into defense to bring the ball forward while his partner stays central at all times.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
From the horse's mouth:
You missed out the part where he says he plays 2 6s because De Jong needs the freedom to roam and get forward. Which is box to box

flappyjay

I thought the consensus is that FDJ players deeper but Barcelona play him as an 8. FDJ played in a double pivot for Ajax and is the deepest midfielder for the Dutch. But yes this move wouldn't make sense unless we a switching to a 4 3 3.

Trex

You missed out the part where he says he plays 2 6s because De Jong needs the freedom to roam and get forward. Which is box to box
De jong is never a box to box like Tielemans or a Fred, he starts very deep and carry the ball forward but he is never ahead of the ball, like the way Matic would carry the ball forward but doesn't participate in the final third.

Cassidy

De jong is never a box to box like Tielemans or a Fred, he starts very deep and carry the ball forward but he is never ahead of the ball, like the way Matic would carry the ball forward but doesn't participate in the final third.
De Jong does participate in the final third. I don’t think he is box to box in the traditional sense. But he also not a Matic. Hes isnt a holding mid, he is allowed to roam

OleGunnar20

I like this guy, he could be a good signing. I’d like to think ETH could increase his level from what we’ve seen at Leicester whic was at times very good, if a little sporadic.

I like Neves too but I feel like Youri has more potential.
Agreed. If his attitude was right (I've no idea) then for a decent price I could see this working. As an alternative to Eriksen though, not both.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Box to box is somebody who is constantly going up and down the pitch. I admit I haven't seen De Jong anywhere near enough to judge myself, but from what I hear he'll tend to sit deeper and control the team around most of the time, but with the freedom to break forward when he sees the right moment. I wouldn't class that as box to box.

Cassidy

Box to box is somebody who is constantly going up and down the pitch. I admit I haven't seen De Jong anywhere near enough to judge myself, but from what I hear he'll tend to sit deeper and control the team around most of the time, but with the freedom to break forward when he sees the right moment. I wouldn't class that as box to box.
Yes. Hes not really box to box. He also is not a holding mid. In his best role he is a roaming player which is why Ten Hag played the double pivot

Trex

De Jong does participate in the final third. I don’t think he is box to box in the traditional sense. But he also not a Matic. Hes isnt a holding mid, he is allowed to roam
Don't rely on quotes, you might not get the concept right, one of the reasons barca want him out is because he isn't great at playing between the lines waiting for the ball to arrive to him in advance areas, when they say he roams it more to deeper areas to get on the ball before carrying it forward, he isn't the type to find the final ball or score goals, he dictate the flow of the game in deep areas with his agility and technique, he drives forward in moments when the opponent commit to pressing him, something they wouldn't do often because its as pointless as pressing Messi, so most games he is at the base of midfield recycling possession looking to play into the forwards feet, creating triangles, plus he isn't one to commit by pressing he is more likely to read and intercept, he'll be aggressive but not covering every blade of grass type.
He is not a Casemiro type quite unique so I see why there's the debate about his positioning.

The Red Thinker

I think Fred can thrive under ETH. Fred needs a defined role and when he’s asked to “do a job” within a system that functions well, he does well. There’s a reason why starts almost every other game for Brazil alongside Casemiro. He’s really good in breaking up play and passing to more elite playmakers. All he needs to do is hold fort like he does for Brazil and give Frenkie the ball. He’ll need to occasionally transition forward when the team is pressing high and just like he does for Brazil, he only needs to play that sideward pass. He’ll be a key player for us next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.