Youri Tielemans | signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’d go for him over Eriksen.

De Jong, Tielemans, VDB, Fred, Mctominay, Bruno and a new CDM next window will be a great Midfield force.

Brophs

The One and Only
This is like a forum of magpies collecting shiny new things
What was it Shankly said? “Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more about transfers”.

justsomebloke

I’d go for him over Eriksen.

De Jong, Tielemans, VDB, Fred, Mctominay, Bruno and a new CDM next window will be a great Midfield force.
How does it look though without that bolded element, which it seems we're only getting around to last (and after spending at least 120 m on Tielemans and De Jong, if we get both). Also, even if we do get around to that, why do we need at least three good players for the No 8 role? And 7 players for three slots? That midfield is overpopulated and unbalanced. At least as far as I can understand - I'm sure there's some more solid logic behind the thinking, but I can't see it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What was it Shankly said? “Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more about transfers”.
:lol: The other day I watched a magpie try and take the zip of the net that goes around the trampoline. It gave up in the end. If I was Devilish I’d probably say that it reminds me of United trying to do deals

Woziak

I think Y Tielemans is our plan B if Eriksen says no, looks like ETH wants to play 433 but with a true 3 in midfield. The Dutch true three is a 6 that is 6/8 hybrid an 8 that is 8/10 hybrid and 10 who is a 10/8 hybrid So we are not playing with a CDM we are playing N D Jong(6), Eriksen or Tielemans (8), Bruno (10 and are back players up will be J Garner (6), Fred or Mctominay (8), DVB(10). The Ajax or Dutch way is all 3 midfield players are equally comfortable in any midfield 3 position, there is a desire to win the ball as quickly as possible however because he wants us to dominate possession and unlike LVG move the ball quicker in the final third.
I think James Garner, Mctominay and Fred are about to learn an awful lot about the game that they should already know but don’t because of Archaic previous training methods under ole and phelan. ETH might get found out playing such an aggressive front foot attacking football and May need a true CDM in the winter Window. We have 16 PL games before the World Cup, he has a tough PL start and success must be measured in small steps because of the mess he’s inherited.

Step one - ETH gets the players he wants and Tielemans could be an asset
Step two - The players in pre season quickly adopt his strategy
Stage Three - we start with a convincing win against Brighton
Stage Four - After the wC break we’ve qualify for next round of Europa,still in all domestic competitions, blooded in younger players into a team pattern and hopefully have a 60/65% win rate in the PL

so I’m hoping we have 10 PL wins 3 draws and 3 defeats and we have 35 to 40 goals scored so United fans can get excited again. Conte took a Chelsea team
Which finished 10th with 50 points to First with 93 points, our problems are far greater than theirs but united have never finished outside 7th in premier League, the reality is Conte is making spurs a serious team, Chelsea will improve from last year and the other 2 are way ahead so just to get into the top 4 will be a huge success plus trying to win a Europa competition that we should be more than acceptable for ETH and all the top 6 need to watch Newcastle who will soon be a force to be reckoned with.

justsomebloke

I think Y Tielemans is our plan B if Eriksen says no, looks like ETH wants to play 433 but with a true 3 in midfield. The Dutch true three is a 6 that is 6/8 hybrid an 8 that is 8/10 hybrid and 10 who is a 10/8 hybrid So we are not playing with a CDM we are playing N D Jong(6), Eriksen or Tielemans (8), Bruno (10 and are back players up will be J Garner (6), Fred or Mctominay (8), DVB(10). The Ajax or Dutch way is all 3 midfield players are equally comfortable in any midfield 3 position, there is a desire to win the ball as quickly as possible however because he wants us to dominate possession and unlike LVG move the ball quicker in the final third.
I think James Garner, Mctominay and Fred are about to learn an awful lot about the game that they should already know but don’t because of Archaic previous training methods under ole and phelan. ETH might get found out playing such an aggressive front foot attacking football and May need a true CDM in the winter Window. We have 16 PL games before the World Cup, he has a tough PL start and success must be measured in small steps because of the mess he’s inherited.

Step one - ETH gets the players he wants and Tielemans could be an asset
Step two - The players in pre season quickly adopt his strategy
Stage Three - we start with a convincing win against Brighton
Stage Four - After the wC break we’ve qualify for next round of Europa,still in all domestic competitions, blooded in younger players into a team pattern and hopefully have a 60/65% win rate in the PL

so I’m hoping we have 10 PL wins 3 draws and 3 defeats and we have 35 to 40 goals scored so United fans can get excited again. Conte took a Chelsea team
Which finished 10th with 50 points to First with 93 points, our problems are far greater than theirs but united have never finished outside 7th in premier League, the reality is Conte is making spurs a serious team, Chelsea will improve from last year and the other 2 are way ahead so just to get into the top 4 will be a huge success plus trying to win a Europa competition that we should be more than acceptable for ETH and all the top 6 need to watch Newcastle who will soon be a force to be reckoned with.
I thought EtH's preferred formation was a 4231, with a pretty clear No 6 generally staying back and doing the defensive work? I realise that's not necessarily hugely different from what you're describing, but most accounts at least stress how he's always had a midfielder with a role that sounds a bit more defensive to me than a 6/8 hybrid. Also, I'm not sure I see any player in that group who I'd think of as a potentially good 6/8 hybrid.

CallyRed

Transfers > Football

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I thought EtH's preferred formation was a 4231, with a pretty clear No 6 generally staying back and doing the defensive work? I realise that's not necessarily hugely different from what you're describing, but most accounts at least stress how he's always had a midfielder with a role that sounds a bit more defensive to me than a 6/8 hybrid. Also, I'm not sure I see any player in that group who I'd think of as a potentially good 6/8 hybrid.
Not really, that's how they did things with Alvarez but not before that with Schone. ETH has always adapted to the players at his disposal using mainly a 433 or a 4231 with different profiles and roles.

justsomebloke

Not really, that's how they did things with Alvarez but not before that with Schone. ETH has always adapted to the players at his disposal using mainly a 433 or a 4231 with different profiles and roles.
Thanks, interesting. That makes a lot of sense vis-a-vis the moves now being pursued.

Aeryis

I'd take him.
After years of watching McFred being hopeless in passing the ball, it'll be nice to have more players who do it decently
Tielemans isn't exactly a Zidane, he's just as careless as Bruno with the ball.

Jericholyte2

I’d be all for loading up our midfield squad with players who can actually, you know, pass.

isn’t he available for something daft like £25-30m as his contract is up next year?

reelworld

Tielemans isn't exactly a Zidane, he's just as careless as Bruno with the ball.
He's an actual midfielder who makes himself available for a pass and he's a much better passer than McFred. He's an obvious upgrade. I think he's a decent enough player who could adapt when paired with a player like de Jong.
I personally think he could be a Mane type of signing. A potentially good player with holes in his game, but could improve by good coaching. And we should have good coaching with ETH

hobbers

The good news is if we signed De Jong and Tielemans it'd probably be the end of McTominay's chance at ever having regular gametime.

Bwuk

I don't think he's anywhere near a replacement for De Jong.

If we sign Frenkie he'll play as our deepest midfielder. Tielemans wouldn't.

Dazzmondo

No idea why people think he'd be the backup to De Jong. Pretty confident we'd be looking at him as the option to play alongside him. I'd prefer Tielemans to Eriksen for the 2nd cm spot personally. Think he's a massive talent that has clearly wanted to move to a bigger club for a couple years now. I also personally prefer seeing us targeting players in the 22-25 age bracket than going for players that are either past or coming to the end of their prime. Just too many players around the age of 30 that have burned us for my liking.

Vapor trail

I don't think he's anywhere near a replacement for De Jong.

If we sign Frenkie he'll play as our deepest midfielder. Tielemans wouldn't.
Agreed they are not even remotely the same profile of midfielder. I see Tielemans as more of an traditional 8 while De Jong has the influence of a 6.

Tielemans has one thing the midfield lacks and that's quality on the ball. I'd prefer him over Eriksen too.

nainaisson

Don't know why people are turning their noses up at him. Even with De Jong, we'd have arguably the worst midfield in the top 6. It'd be nice to have at least two central midfielders who know how to pass the effing ball.

tidraKS

Don't know why people are turning their noses up at him. Even with De Jong, we'd have arguably the worst midfield in the top 6. It'd be nice to have at least two central midfielders who know how to pass the effing ball.
Why do you think so? What midfield does Arsenal have, Tottenham have? Elneny, Xhaka, Hojbjerg, Betancur?

Teja

As I said in the other thread, think he's talented but he's too much like Pogba - inconsistent and doesn't put in his defensive work.

A midfield of De Jong + Tielemans will be too lightweight. Neither will do the work tracking runners and neither will bust a gut to get back and kill off a counter attack in the 90th minute.

Andrew7582

No idea why people think he'd be the backup to De Jong. Pretty confident we'd be looking at him as the option to play alongside him. I'd prefer Tielemans to Eriksen for the 2nd cm spot personally. Think he's a massive talent that has clearly wanted to move to a bigger club for a couple years now. I also personally prefer seeing us targeting players in the 22-25 age bracket than going for players that are either past or coming to the end of their prime. Just too many players around the age of 30 that have burned us for my liking.
We aren't signing Eriksen for the second CM spot, he is far too lightweight and defensively weak for that position. He'll be a squad option at 10. Tielemans plays next to Ndidi at Leicester, a proper athletic ball winner, not a playmaker like De Jong.

Dazzmondo

As I said in the other thread, think he's talented but he's too much like Pogba - inconsistent and doesn't put in his defensive work.

A midfield of De Jong + Tielemans will be too lightweight. Neither will do the work tracking runners and neither will bust a gut to get back and kill off a counter attack in the 90th minute.
His pressing numbers aren't even that bad. He'd actually be one of our higher pressers if he had the numbers he delivered last season. His pressing numbers are also higher than Eriksen who seems to be our alternative for the position. I'm sure these numbers would go up under ETH too. Neither Salah nor Mane did any pressing really before Klopp signed them but they improved (signed at roughly the same age as Tielemans is now also). At no point have we been linked with a traditional dm destroyer so people should probably get past the idea that we're signing somebody like that. It's clearly not what ETH is looking for from his cms. He wants good passers for his possession style, and Tielemans is a fantastic passer and progresser of the ball.

Dazzmondo

We aren't signing Eriksen for the second CM spot, he is far too lightweight and defensively weak for that position. He'll be a squad option at 10. Tielemans plays next to Ndidi at Leicester, a proper athletic ball winner, not a playmaker like De Jong.
And who says ETH intends to play Tielemans the same way Rodgers does? De Jong is going to be the deepest cm. We haven't been linked with a single Ndidi-like dm since ETH came in and we started getting more reliable transfer rumours. So who are you expecting to play alongside De Jong if it's not Eriksen or Tielemans?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I’m not a huge fan but I think it’s right for us to go after him and replace Pogba.

We can’t have just one good midfielder in De Jong.

De Jong gives us some creativity from deep, Tielemana further up and Bruno the furthest forward.

We then add a replacement for Matic for some shielding ability then alongside Fred’s pressing ability we have a pretty versatile midfield squad.

The only reason I see this not happening is depending on how rated Garner, Galbraith and Hannibal maybe.

Teja

His pressing numbers aren't even that bad. He'd actually be one of our higher pressers if he had the numbers he delivered last season. His pressing numbers are also higher than Eriksen who seems to be our alternative for the position. I'm sure these numbers would go up under ETH too. Neither Salah nor Mane did any pressing really before Klopp signed them but they improved (signed at roughly the same age as Tielemans is now also). At no point have we been linked with a traditional dm destroyer so people should probably get past the idea that we're signing somebody like that. It's clearly not what ETH is looking for from his cms. He wants good passers for his possession style, and Tielemans is a fantastic passer and progresser of the ball.
Think his pressing numbers are horrendous.

Pressures: 30th percentile, Tackles: 46th percentile, Interceptions: 23rd percentile.

Anyway, watching him on a bad day tells you all you need to know about him. He's not a guy who you want as a defensive #8 next to FdJ.

Andrew7582

And who says ETH intends to play Tielemans the same way Rodgers does? De Jong is going to be the deepest cm. We haven't been linked with a single Ndidi-like dm since ETH came in and we started getting more reliable transfer rumours. So who are you expecting to play alongside De Jong if it's not Eriksen or Tielemans?
It 100% will not be Eriksen for the reasons I already mentioned, you must know very little about him as a player if you think that's a viable option in the premier league. I am expecting it to be Fred who plays next to him as that's the best option we've got barring another signing. De Jong will be the deepest midfielder collecting the ball during build up play, that's not the same as being the most defensively responsible player out of possession, those are two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.