Youri Tielemans | signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hughes35

If ETH likes him and for the prices being touted, I wouldn't be against it. He's a decent player and at 25 he's at a good age.

He's god on the ball and that's obviously what ETH is looking for for the system he wants to play. I presume this would be a cheap and attainable (Not as good) version of De Jong.

OmarUnited4ever

I think most people wanted him on the basis that he wasn’t McTominay or Fred. I see absolutely no need for him now, our next midfield signing needs to be of the highest level, not someone to just make up the numbers.
I agree with this too, either we get a top class player like De Jong/Enzo or we do not, let's not go for average players anymore.

captaincantona

Pass. We have Mejbri, Iqbal, Mainoo and Hansen-Aaroen.
None of whom are any use to us this season or in reality next. We clearly don’t trust McT to step in for Casemiro…and rightly so. In that case we need an experienced deputy for Casemiro…then we can slot in the youngsters from game to game till one steps forward. Like Garnacho did out wide.

Tielemens is not a bad option but I think would still cost too much in January and he is certainly not a holding midfielder. If we believe that Mainoo/Iqbal/Mejbri is the next big thing then it make no sense going all out in midfield. Rabiot is still on a free - I think we had the right idea chasing him.

However, I fear ETH will try get through to the summer and go chasing de Jong again…which probably won’t end well and will also create a real barrier for those midfielders you mentioned to get valuable first team minutes. It’s a conundrum.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The question marks I have around Tielemans are based not on his ability but his energy and effort levels.

Honestly, I don't watch Leicester enough to give you great answers to those questions. However, when I do see Leciester, Tielemans comes across as a bit of a jogger.

In Eriksen we have an elegant midfield option who's lacking in pace and power. What we need is a proper box-to-box option who can play but also not be physically overpowered by your typical Premier League midfielder.

If we're determined to go after players whose contracts are expiring in summer, we may as well go back to Rabiot or speak to Konrad Laimer.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
It is funny people want him when Ten Hag only recently discussed the club signing too many average players over the past few years.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
No chance we have the funds for him, even if we got a discount price.

Would be a good signing and take a lot of pressure off Eriksen. His defensive frailties would be offset by someone like Casemiro and I think he'd thrive in a team that naturally retains possession better than Leicester.

Oldyella

Pass. Half the reason we have spent past several years in the wilderness is buying players to cover others. We finally look decent again as we bought some genuine starters and left the previous 1st choice to be our bench options.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think that ETH has seen that DVB is out for the rest of the season, and Tielemans would be relatively cheap cover for Eriksen. He can also continue in that role next season if need be, allowing us to target our preferred striker, and if we get new owners, we can go for Enzo Fernandez (as well as a striker), and sell Tielemans on for a profit.
Agreed, I think it would be a sensible transfer if we can do it.

lysglimt

Scout
We have Eriksen, Fred, McT, Bruno and Casemiro competing for 3 places - in a perfect world we would get another midfielder - but that's not what we need the most. Nor do I think Tielemans is an improvment of what we have. We can't sign him simply because he is cheap.

Jeffthered

Now this is a player I have thought we should go for... and he should be playing Champions League footie, so for me, that's the key. A v v talented player that needs a challenge, and under ETH he would get that kick up the backside he needs. he should be one of the best, most consistent midfielders in the league. If he is out of contract, I just hope we are getting in there, now, to sound him out. He would be a super addition to the squad. It would also be good for him.

romufc

We have Eriksen, Fred, McT, Bruno and Casemiro competing for 3 places - in a perfect world we would get another midfielder - but that's not what we need the most. Nor do I think Tielemans is an improvment of what we have. We can't sign him simply because he is cheap.
There is clearly a reason why no one has touched him yet when his price in the summer was about £25m.

The problem with spending a transfer fee on him is we will be adding another average midfielder on our books. If we need a fill in, I would prefer us bring in a loan player until the end of the season to see us through this.

Come summer, we need improvements on players, Eriksen needs to be replaced with someone better than him. He is a great signing for us but to get to where we need to we need something to improve the first team.

slored1

Good player but not suited for a high-pressing side. No thanks.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I wouldn't go near the guy. He plays with such arrogance and laziness. The guy thinks he's Modric.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is a perfect addition to help us have a more technical midfield in games where we should be keeping the ball.

Leicester players aren’t playing for Rodgers anymore and he has clearly lost form in a very poor side.

When you see what ETH has done for Rashford, Shaw, Dalot and Fred, I would love him as an option. He was superb in Rodgers initial period

£10 million could well snap him up this month and give Leicester their much needed cash to sack Rodgers :lol:

We don’t have money and we need quality. It would be silly to pass him up when he is available so cheaply.

CM10

If he was able to arrest his form at Leicester this season it might've been worth a punt but he's been just as poor as he was last year. Not the type of midfielder we really need anyway.

Jeffthered

Leicester City have a few players I wouldn't mind considering. It's clear they are going through the motions, and you can envisage many of those players moving on, as well as Rodgers. The club needs a bit of a refresh, like we did (and continue to..). Nothing wrong with that.

Vardy. Tielemans. Maddison. Barnes. Albrighton. Soyencu. These are v decent Premiership players, who could benefit from a change. Maddison aside, I don't think we are seeing the best out of any of them. Maybe not world-beaters, but I wouldn't say no to any of those players personally. You cannot judge Leicester on current form, the team is a mess, inconsistent and without direction.

Just my opinion.

Jeffthered

If he was able to arrest his form at Leicester this season it might've been worth a punt but he's been just as poor as he was last year. Not the type of midfielder we really need anyway.
Disagree. He is a good ball playing, experienced midfielder with good Premiership experience. He can rotate with the current crop.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The Belgium Darron Gibson.

A wonder strike here and there doesn't make up for the rest.

CM10

Disagree. He is a good ball playing, experienced midfielder with good Premiership experience. He can rotate with the current crop.
Tielemans is really poor off the ball and hasn't played at his best for a long time. The only case that could be made for him is purely on squad numbers, but Ten Hag has been big on getting the right player in.

We're better off waiting until the summer and signing a high quality starter, then the likes of Eriksen and Fred can become good squad players.

Jeffthered

Tielemans is really poor off the ball and hasn't played at his best for a long time. The only case that could be made for him is purely on squad numbers, but Ten Hag has been big on getting the right player in.

We're better off waiting until the summer and signing a high quality starter, then the likes of Eriksen and Fred can become good squad players.
  1. Ok, like who?
  2. Tielemans is a good football player. To suggest that he has already 'peaked' or cannot reach previous levels of play is without foundation. Look at Rashford not too long ago for example (add Shaw to that list too...)
  3. Is he any poorer, off the ball than Eriksen? Bruno? I don't think so, and I wouldn't buy Tielamans for his ball-winning skills. That's Casimiero, Fred, Mctominay etc..
  4. And if we sign a starter, who would you suggest we drop to the bench?
  5. And why not buy a good player, at decent value, and aim to improve them?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
And our bald genius manager might turn him into the next Tony Kroos. Look at what he's done with AWB recently!!! I reckon he could turn water into wine if he set his mind to do so - heh clear!

MegadrivePerson

The question marks I have around Tielemans are based not on his ability but his energy and effort levels.

Honestly, I don't watch Leicester enough to give you great answers to those questions. However, when I do see Leciester, Tielemans comes across as a bit of a jogger.

In Eriksen we have an elegant midfield option who's lacking in pace and power. What we need is a proper box-to-box option who can play but also not be physically overpowered by your typical Premier League midfielder.

If we're determined to go after players whose contracts are expiring in summer, we may as well go back to Rabiot or speak to Konrad Laimer.
He's a very lazy off the ball player, very much a YouTube highlights player in that he will pop up with the odd wonder pass or goal.

There's a good reason that nobody moved for him last summer!

Laimer is going to Bayern by the way.

CM10

1. Ok, like who?
  2. Tielemans is a good football player. To suggest that he has already 'peaked' or cannot reach previous levels of play is without foundation. Look at Rashford not too long ago for example (add Shaw to that list too...)
  3. Is he any poorer, off the ball than Eriksen? Bruno? I don't think so, and I wouldn't buy Tielamans for his ball-winning skills. That's Casimiero, Fred, Mctominay etc..
I'm not too worried about who as long as they've got the right characteristics, but players like de Jong and Enzo Fernandez are the right types of players. Players who are comfortable receiving the ball under pressure and moving us up the pitch.

I would definitely say Tielemans is worse off the ball than Eriksen and Fernandes as well. Tielemans' work rate doesn't compare favourably to either of those players and I can't see that working well with Ten Hag's counter pressing system.

We absolutely can aim to sign players and improve them. I just don't believe there's enough of an upside for it to be worthwhile bothering with Tielemans. This team is the closest we've been to challenging at the top for a decade - why not go for the best? Is Tielemans at his best even an upgrade on Eriksen, or Fred? If we do sign a midfielder in the summer, I think there has to be a fairly clear distinction in quality (or potential) between them and the existing options in that position, otherwise we'll just end up stockpiling similar players.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Honestly Rabiot and Laimer is as uninspiring as Tielemans. The next midfield signing is a key signing . You need a Kroos to play with Casemiro.

Hopefully, we have plans in place.

userman

I would say that as a rotational option Tielemans would make sense for us this window, if the price is right. It would provide depth in midfield where we only have Fred and McT as backups today, and it would allow us to play Eriksen higher up, or for that sake Tielemens, when/if Bruno is out. IMO Tielemans would also be a good rotational option for Eriksen going forward.

Given the rumoured interest in Elanga maybe it could be possible to sell Elanga for 15-20m and use those money to buy Tielemans this window, a last chance for Leicester to get some money for him before he leaves on a free in the summer.

ForeverRed1

Isn’t his contract up in the summer? We could probably get him now very cheap and would add to our squad with all these games.

Honestly Rabiot and Laimer is as uninspiring as Tielemans. The next midfield signing is a key signing . You need a Kroos to play with Casemiro.

Hopefully, we have plans in place.
Kroos is not athletic enough. He'd just get overrun in big games. What we need is a powerful unit who can also progress the football. Someone who can do all the good things Fred does, without any of the bad things Fred does.

I'm not going to say Jude Bellingham because that's a pipe dream. Likewise Frenkie De Jong who, though he's a bit less physical, doesn't shy away from a 50/50.

The way Caicedo played us on the opening day of the season. If we could have that next to Casemiro week in week out it could be the next Ince and Keane. However, it looks like Chelsea will pick up Caicedo in Boehly's supermarket sweep.

I'd like United to test Barca's resolve to hold onto Kessie. The Kessie that played us for Milan in the Europa League a few years back was, to me, the best midfielder on the park over the two legs. I think he'd do fantastically in the Premier League.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Bruno is insane off the ball, especially compared to this bum (Tielemans). One of Bruno's greater aspects of his game infact.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Kroos is not athletic enough. He'd just get overrun in big games. What we need is a powerful unit who can also progress the football. Someone who can do all the good things Fred does, without any of the bad things Fred does.

I'm not going to say Jude Bellingham because that's a pipe dream. Likewise Frenkie De Jong who, though he's a bit less physical, doesn't shy away from a 50/50.

The way Caicedo played us on the opening day of the season. If we could have that next to Casemiro week in week out it could be the next Ince and Keane. However, it looks like Chelsea will pick up Caicedo in Boehly's supermarket sweep.

I'd like United to test Barca's resolve to hold onto Kessie. The Kessie that played us for Milan in the Europa League a few years back was, to me, the best midfielder on the park over the two legs. I think he'd do fantastically in the Premier League.
I said a Kroos not the actual player. Basically an upgrade on Eriksen. Caicedo and Kessie isn't that type of players. Would rather keep Fred than Kessie. FDJ is the perfect player but Enzo is also an interesting prospect. I would also consider McAllister.

I said a Kroos not the actual player. Basically an upgrade on Eriksen. Caicedo and Kessie isn't that type of players. Would rather keep Fred than Kessie. FDJ is the perfect player but Enzo is also an interesting prospect. I would also consider McAllister.
Yeah but Kroos is basically unique in world football. Stastically he's in the 99th percentile for passes attempted, 98th for passes completed and 99 for progressive passes. That's basically alien. By comparison, Fernandez is in the 99th percentile for passes attempted and 99th percentile for progressive passes, but 86th percentile for passes completed. De Jong in the 90th percentile for passes attempted, 93rd for passes completed and 86th for progressive passes. Kroos is out on his own. He's not only hitting a high number of forward passes, he's nailing them pretty much every time. MacAllister isn't even in the same ballpark statistically as these players.

The reason I mentioned Caicedo and Kessie is that there are more than one way to skin a cat. Kessie, particularly, has quite a high number of dribbles completed. Having someone dribble from centre midfield can be another way to open up an opponent, if you don't have someone with Kroos like powers of passing. DeJong's dribbling numbers are elite, significantly better than Kessie's. However, I just don't buy that De Jong is going to leave Barcelona unless they put him in a canon and fire him from the walls of the city's gothic quarter. DeJong would be the perfect blend of passing and dribbling but it just aint gonna happen.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I've said it elsewhere, we are his level, he will live to regret leaving, not as bad as Drinkwater did but not too far from it, he has allowances made for him with us he won't get at a bigger club

ArbeitervonWien

1. Ok, like who?
I'm not enterly against this signing. There is certainly a good footballer in there for a reasonable price. But you'd hope for someone who is an upgrade from Eriksen.

Not that he's not good enough, but he can't last for 90 in cm, I think. I'd much rather have him as an supersub and great squad option with his versatility and ability to change games.

I feel that Tielemans could help us for the rest of the season. But if we get a big midfield signing in the summer, I don't think there is really a place for him. Especially considering how well Mejibri is doing on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.