Youri Tielemans | signs for Villa

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

JJ has played left back more than right back in his professional career and I wouldn't say he is comfortable in midfield either really. A torn Achilles too is a tough injury to come back from, the ACL injury was his previous absence.

I'm not judging most of our players now until the self publicist is removed and a manager appointed
I don't mean as a midfielder, I mean playing FB but moving into the half space where Ten Hag and Pep like their midfielders.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I don't mean as a midfielder, I mean playing FB but moving into the half space where Ten Hag and Pep like their midfielders.
Rodgers has been having our left backs do this this season and none of them have played well, he’s not that type of full back, let him get in and down

justboy68

For the role he plays I'd prefer Enzo or De Jong and those two are currently better than Tielemans (according to reviews) and would do the job Ten Hag wants better
Of course, but they aren't gonna be in the same transfer ball park are they? If we go for someone like Enzo then that's likely going to dent the chances of a big money striker (ignoring for now whatever happens with the ownership). If it's Tielemens + backup dm(with McTominay sale) + Kane/Osimhen. That's preferable to Enzo + cheaper striker. But of course Ten Hag will know what he wants ultimately.

OrcaFat

For the role he plays I'd prefer Enzo or De Jong and those two are currently better than Tielemans (according to reviews) and would do the job Ten Hag wants better
Absolutely. I think most people would agree with that.

I’m not dead against Tielemans because we might get him cheap. ETH might get him performing better than ever but I’m just seeing him as cover for Eriksen (which we lack at present).

croadyman

Would definitely take Tielemans late in this window to provide some extra squad depth,however don't see it happening at all.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Would definitely take Tielemans late in this window to provide some extra squad depth,however don't see it happening at all.
I would too, I said in September he can give rotation options, he's a very versatile player and I'd take him even if it means shipping McT out, Tielemans would add strength in the positions we need.

Next year I expect us to compete on all fronts, even if it means we're still going for a world class CM and Striker, Tielemans could still fill a big squad role.

We're also without VDB now as an option.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Injuries completely wrecked his career. Without all the serious injuries he would have been a helluva player.

11/12Abdominal Influenza3 days-
11/12Adductor problems10 days-
10/11Muscular problems10 days-
10/11Torn Muscle Fibre7 days1
10/11Abdominal Influenza3 days-
09/10Twisted knee3 days
14/15Torn ankle ligament45 days7
14/15Ankle fracture10 days-
14/15Ruptured ankle aigament28 days7
13/14Ruptured syndesmotic ligament66 days1
13/14Muscular problems10 days2
13/14Torn Muscle Fibre7 days2
13/14Bruise on ankle3 days1
13/14Ruptured intraarticular ligament initiation in the ankle9 days-
13/14Abdominal Influenza3 days-
13/14Infection0 days-
12/13Muscular problems7 days1
12/13Abdominal Strain4 days1
12/13Tear in the abductor muscle3 days-
12/13Metatarsal bone bruise3 days-
11/12Fractured Toe17 days
16/17Muscular problems7 days-
16/17Heel Bone Injury4 days1
16/17Pubitis176 days17
15/16Rest4 days2
15/16Rest3 days1
15/16Infection7 days1
15/16Adductor problems7 days2
15/16Adductor problems3 days1
15/16Pulled hamstring at the adductors11 days2
15/16Muscular problems3 days1
15/16Toe Injury17 days2
15/16Rest0 days1
14/15Muscular problems14 days2
14/15Adductor problems14 days3
14/15Bruised Knee0 days
19/20Tear in a joint capsule3 days1
19/20Muscular problems4 days1
19/20Muscular problems4 days1
19/20Cold4 days1
18/19Pulled hamstring at the adductors19 days4
18/19Stretched Ligament4 days1
18/19Abdominal Influenza5 days-
18/19Thigh Problems2 days1
18/19Knee Problems10 days-
17/18Muscular problems20 days3
17/18Fitness31 days4
17/18Cruciate Ligament Rupture220 days27
16/17Torn muscle bundle38 days8
16/17Bruise0 days-
16/17Thigh Problems3 days
22/23Ankle Inflammation56 days2
22/23Ankle problems17 days5
22/23Ruptured ankle aigament24 days4
21/22Torn Muscle Fibre24 days-
21/22Rest7 days-
21/22Ill21 days3
21/22Minor Knock11 days2
21/22Knee Problems4 days1
21/22Knee Problems3 days-
20/21Bruised Ankle18 days1
20/21Tendonitis32 days-
19/20Fitness79 days9
19/20Muscle Injury85 days7
19/20Torn Muscle Fibre21 days1
19/20Ankle problems9 days
Jesus that’s quite the list. Wouldn’t be touching him with a barge pole

croadyman

I would too, I said in September he can give rotation options, he's a very versatile player and I'd take him even if it means shipping McT out, Tielemans would add strength in the positions we need.

Next year I expect us to compete on all fronts, even if it means we're still going for a world class CM and Striker, Tielemans could still fill a big squad role.

We're also without VDB now as an option.
Problem is all reliable sources there is no way we are looking at permanent deals this window and can't do a third domestic loan

dinostar77

Absolutely. I think most people would agree with that.

I’m not dead against Tielemans because we might get him cheap. ETH might get him performing better than ever but I’m just seeing him as cover for Eriksen (which we lack at present).
I think tielemans would be good cover for eriksen and as you said if ETH can improve him then even better. As an alternative to eriksen though tielemans or james maddison? If either was available?

Abraxas

Not a huge fan of this guy. You shouldn't get to move to Man Utd when you spend as long as he does strutting around doing nothing. That said, if ETH would see something in him, you kinda have to go with it as everything he touches seems to turn to gold at the moment. He'd have some work to do with Tielemans off the ball to strike gold, mind. Talented player on the ball though.

dutchred

Mateo Kovačić woukd be a better bet. Coming to the end of his contract. Could be ideal to play alongside Cas until Kobbee is ready. Could also act as cover for Cas

Mateo Kovačić woukd be a better bet. Coming to the end of his contract. Could be ideal to play alongside Cas until Kobbee is ready. Could also act as cover for Cas
That's an excellent shout but how would Chelsea react? I know he's out of contract but if we come sniffing will they offer him an extension?

OrcaFat

I think tielemans would be good cover for eriksen and as you said if ETH can improve him then even better. As an alternative to eriksen though tielemans or james maddison? If either was available?
Tielemans, probably, as a no8.

It’s an interesting question as Maddison is really a no10, wouldn’t you say?, but might actually have the attributes to adapt to playing 8, and arguably has more about him than Tielemans (but also would cost more).

dinostar77

Tielemans, probably, as a no8.

It’s an interesting question as Maddison is really a no10, wouldn’t you say?, but might actually have the attributes to adapt to playing 8, and arguably has more about him than Tielemans (but also would cost more).
Yes i would say maddison is a 10 but could play as a 8? Not sure if he done so for leicester.

If leicester went down, tielemans, maddison and ndidi would all be good buys for any top six side. Not definte starters every week but solid squad players who could do a very god job.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The way people say English players are overrated - I genuinely feel like this guy is overrated for coming from a country of recent quality players like Belgium.

dinostar77

Tielemans stock seems to have fallen with leicesters league position. Just a year ago there were loads of articles about how great a player he is. Wonder if hes one of those that on the eye doesnt seem to impress but stats wise hes great i.e. a moneyball player.

Some random ones from a google search:

https://theanalyst.com/2021/10/youri-tielemans-one-of-the-premier-leagues-best-midfielders/

https://mancitysquare.com/2022/02/14/manchester-city-opt-youri-tielemans-declan-rice/

https://www.sportsmax.tv/football/i...-just-be-the-premier-league-s-best-midfielder

https://www.football365.com/news/yo...gain-arsenal-manchester-united-signed-already

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I watched Leicester vs Brighton in first half, and I thought he played good. He will be free agent and I'm actually interested to see what ten Hag can do with this guy.

Comments I found on 4th January.

I still believe that a happy, settled, in form Tielemans is Leicester’s most talented player, along with Maddison.
The problem is he clearly needs a move. It’s not that he’s not trying, I don’t think he’s that type of person, it’s that he’s not trying very hard anymore. He looks to be seeing out his time at City without his usual enthusiasm.
He needs to leave both for the club and for the player.
I imagine when he does leave, we’ll see a re-invigorated player for whichever club he joins.
If I were managing Tottenham, for instance, I’d snap up Tielemans. They are crying out for a midfield ball-player and he’d fit the bill there.
My memory of Youri, once he goes, will be of a player who is very talented, a really nice guy and of course, the FA cup goal.
He’ll be hard to replace in terms of the ‘fully interested’ Tielemans. Unfortunately that’s now long gone.
LCFC is a club in major transition I believe. Its hard to know what our squad will look like if we avoid relegation, let alone if we go down.
Did not deserve to be on the losing team tonight.
Imagine watching this team without Tielemans and, dare I say it, Maddison!
Championship standard
I agree with the positive comments about his 2nd half performance. But where was he for the first 45?
Youri was easily out best player tonight. Sadly he's on his own when Maddison is not playing.
Tielemans is head and shoulders over anyone in this team, bar Maddison. I presume that’s why he’s going. He knows it and has had enough
Really decent from him - only quality at all in a blue shirt - the rest are absolute plodders- championship team apart from tielemans tonight - nearly single handedly got us a point with multiple efforts and threaded passes - that one to Perez that he bizarrely walked out of play was a beauty - no wonder he ain’t signing a new contract seeing the state of the rest of that lot - he isn’t always great himself but definitely good tonight
Absolutely spot on post. He’s given us bloody good value since he signed and we should wish him well when he leaves. He’s playing alongside some muppets. Imagine looking up and seeing Soumare or looking back and giving the ball to Amartey.
Single-handedly tonight isn’t far off the truth.
Yep we will miss him when he is gone at end of season - can’t be easy looking up and seeing Ndidi, Perez or amartey every time - he must have to think 3 passes ahead so he can try and find someone he trusts to give it to that won’t lose it or spank it over the bar - can’t be far off one of the worst Leicester sides to take the pitch over last 5 years that tonight - carrying at least 7 players - that’s mental at that level
He was magnificent tonight. Did not deserve to be on the losing side.
Indeed he was and didn't.

If there was any question about commitment, it was answered last night. He was leading the fight, gave everything and just about pulled us level (on a number of occasions) He did everything he could, everything that could be expected of him. Head and shoulders above anyone else on our team. He will be missed.

Fingers crossed that by some freak turn of even that he signs a new contract. He will be instrumental not only in future performances but in how our team is seen, from new signings to threat to the opposition. He and Maddison take a functional side and make it something creative and dangerous.
I am surprised no European club has agreed a pre contract with him can see him going abroad but imagine his preference would be to move to a top 4 premier league club.
He showed the impact he can have when he was moved up & allowed to play further forward.
Interesting to see him in that role and it shows his versatility. This was the type of role he played in his first year or so with us and his qualities are there to see, but I can also see why he's been dropped deeper to try and govern the midfield and again its worked many times.

His strengths really ought to be cherished as opposed to the lack of mobility which probably costs him from being an exceptional player. His technique at some of his passing and shooting yesterday was sublime, Albrighton coming on really helped free him up too.
he was taking passes in tight spaces and was pretty much had it all under control!!!
Pretty much the weakest part of his game, always had a tendency to let the ball run across his body and getting robbed. Seemed really up for it last night, good see he has now worked on an aspect of his game which was letting him down.
Seeing him full of passion and quality last night made me just feel sorry for him. He was the best player in the pitch by far both in terms of quality and desire and he was let down by his team mates and the buffoon managing them.
He deserves better than Leicester much as it pains me to say it. I'll wish him all the best when he goes.
Comments from yesterday:

Tielemans was absolutely exhausted by this point. He did put in a helluva defensive shift all game but he just had nothing left in the tank. I also think he was afraid of giving away a foul in a dangerous area. With the 99 players we kept camped deep in our end, I suppose he also thought he had cover.

But, damn, that was still tough to watch. Rodgers has created a team that consistently fails because they play such scared football.
Quick mention for Tielemans as well. He’s carried us these last few weeks. What a great player.
Both can be true, if you recognise an opposition is better in possession than you letting them have the ball is perfectly acceptable, when you get your 30-40% possession, you have to better with it. Tielemans was very good with the ball, Barnes could of helped us just keep the ball a bit better, an ease the pressure.
Thought Tielemans was generally good.
Tielemans is better than this team at the moment. We know about his limitations but we also know about his strengths.
A good player usually raises his game when he joins a bigger club and a better team.
I think Spurs are crying out for a Tielemans. A proper midfield playmaker.
I don’t think he’ll struggle to get suitors when he becomes free.
This team has dragged him down for some time imo. And I don’t think anyone could argue he’s not given his all and been value for money for the club.
Imagine playing each week at the moment trying to bring the likes of Amartey and Ward up to scratch. It must be demoralising. I think he’s done well to keep going like he has tbh.

Edwards6

Would definitely take him as a squad player in the summer, better than Mctominay and Fred and a free transfer so leaves funds for other positions we need to strengthen

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I thought he is going to join Arsenal. Anyway he will be a free agent and he can choose whatever best for him.

Dazzmondo

Always liked Tielemans and seems a very logical option either on cheap in Jan or on free in summer. Think he and Eriksen are at a pretty similar level. He's definitely become massively underrated due to being trapped at Leicester for so long.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Always liked Tielemans and seems a very logical option either on cheap in Jan or on free in summer. Think he and Eriksen are at a pretty similar level. He's definitely become massively underrated due to being trapped at Leicester for so long.
trapped? we've never had a single bid for him

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Would add squad depth and better than mctominay. And his contract runs out.

croadyman

Wish we would sell McTominay and buy him now,however we are cheap skates so will wait it out until summer. IF we hadn't done two domestic loans then was maybe viable.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We’ve already got Eriksen. Please don’t give me another immobile central midfielder

OrcaFat

I am only talking about rotation role
If he can be got really cheap, I would get him as a stop gap and play him 45 mins each (or rotating 60/30 mins) with Eriksen.

Neither are very mobile but Eriksen has been close to useless after half time and we’re suddenly lacking his calmness on the ball because he just can’t get hold of it.
Tielemans could come on and, being fresh, take up that role.

You couldn’t sell that arrangement to Tielemans of course. He’d by “our new no8” as far as he’s concerned but secretly he’s cover / rotation / bench meat. Good player and it’s hardly fair on him but, hey, let him prove us wrong.

Mmm-Qatarian

"Hey Leicester, any chance you fancy doing us a favour on this one and letting us have him for free now instead of in the summer? We overpaid by about 30 million for Maguire so we maybe this will make it even!" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.