Youth Cup

datura

I hate to watch this sort of side at Academy level though, the emphasis is all on containment and keeping shape and hope to get a counter attack or a goal from a free kick. Pretty anti-football and not great to develop talent in my opinion. More players from our team will make it to first team level than the Blackburn lot.

x42bn6

Blackburn Under-18s aren't quite like their first-team though, they've tried to play some decent stuff today although I think Blackburn have been the stronger and quicker side. Some of those Blackburn players are huge.

But the fact is that size matters a lot at this level. :(

datura

I just don't see how getting embroiled in Blackburn's long ball, run around like a headless chicken, diving in to tackles, type of game, is in any way to our advantage? They're not a good football side, at all, but we allow teams to unsettle us by not sticking to what youth football should be about.

And, of course, how this is supposed to be preparation for top level football is a mystery, because it certainly isn't conducive to producing technically gifted players, that's for sure. And if you don't think that is at least part of the reason that we have such a poor record in producing players of the very highest quality, I have to respectfully disagree.
It's a great lesson in my opinion as they way Blackburn play is exactly how at least 4/5 Premiership teams play against us. You need to learn how to win against these type of teams, and at this level currently we struggle.

jb8521

Poor performance from us but a pathetic display of refereeing allowing Blackburn to time waste at every opportunity, giving them frees because they screamed every time we tackled them and not giving a free to Devlin for their first goal and a non existent penalty. The lack of ball boys was brutal aswell but we allowed ourselves to be dragged into playing the long ball game and played very little passing football so didnt really deserve anything from the game overall.

PS18

Bah, just watching the re-run, how Hitchcock isn't penalised for jumping into Devlin just before the first goal I don't know.

datura

We didn't play that well, but you had a feeling in this sort of game that the first goal was pivotal and to concede in that manner is always disappointing, irregardless of how poorly we defended the resulting corner.

Virtuoso

We didn't play that well, but you had a feeling in this sort of game that the first goal was pivotal and to concede in that manner is always disappointing, irregardless of how poorly we defended the resulting corner.
Yeah, it is a very important lesson for the youngsters though, especially at United, because it isn't pretty but plenty of teams will play against us with very strict organisation and containment tactics. Blackburn beat us tactically above anything else, there set pieces had obviously been worked on too and they had a very rigid shape. Our players couldn't break them down, effective on their part but not what we like to see especially at youth team level.

Ofcourse our cause was not helped with Petrucci getting injured, I thought bringing Hussain on for him at the time was a poor decision - sort of messed our shape even further. In a match like tonight's, it would have been crucial to play with two out and out wingers, shame Brady is injured because he would have been important on the left - we had to stretch their defence. Ultimately couldn't manage it, a real shame but hopefully we can achieve something in the league.

PS18

The physical, organised approach does seem to be becoming more commonplace at academy level and we definitely struggle against it. As long as the players are learning then the defeats and even the Youth Cup exits are worthwhile.

Interesting to see how we move forward now - short-term in terms of who plays on Saturday (presumably a completely changed XI) and long-term seeing who, if any, of those involved tonight will get pushed up into the reserves full-time now. King's an obvious one that I wouldn't expect to see playing at academy level in future, Petrucci maybe another.

Worth considering that five of the starters tonight plus all the subs and a couple of others will all still be available next year. A team of Johnstone, Massacci, Thorpe, McGinty, Fryers, Morrison, Tunnicliffe, Pogba, Hussain, Keane and Cofie (with Fornasier, Cole, Lingard, Michael Keane, Giverin on the bench) already looks pretty damn useful, and with almost another year's experience and development, plus the addition of some gifted new first-years, we should be in decent shape for another crack at the competition next season.

datura

Interesting to see how we move forward now - short-term in terms of who plays on Saturday (presumably a completely changed XI) and long-term seeing who, if any, of those involved tonight will get pushed up into the reserves full-time now. King's an obvious one that I wouldn't expect to see playing at academy level in future, Petrucci maybe another.
I think Wootton, Brown, Tunnicliffe, Brady, Petrucci and King are more likely to feature more regularly for the reserves given that they are more physically developed than the others and have already been involved this year. Pogba is also someone who may be used more frequently but it depends on the loans situation as we already have a surplus of midfielders at reserve level and they all need games.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Worth considering that five of the starters tonight plus all the subs and a couple of others will all still be available next year. A team of Johnstone, Massacci, Thorpe, McGinty, Fryers, Morrison, Tunnicliffe, Pogba, Hussain, Keane and Cofie (with Fornasier, Cole, Lingard, Michael Keane, Giverin on the bench) already looks pretty damn useful, and with almost another year's experience and development, plus the addition of some gifted new first-years, we should be in decent shape for another crack at the competition next season.
I would have thought that Will Keane is well ahead of Cofie in the pecking order? But yeah, in general it was a pretty young team and the larger share of it will still be eligible in 12 months, plus I'd guess the odd new face from the u16s. Any tips on who from the lower levels might be featuring?

PS18

I would have thought that Will Keane is well ahead of Cofie in the pecking order? But yeah, in general it was a pretty young team and the larger share of it will still be eligible in 12 months, plus I'd guess the odd new face from the u16s. Any tips on who from the lower levels might be featuring?
I included Keane in the team (and his brother on the bench), he's definitely ahead of Cofie.

Guess the disadvantage of such a large crop of first years this year is that we've not seen any U16s featuring like we did last year, so it's hard to know who's likely to get scholarships and feature next year. Going off things like England call-ups, the Malta trip and so on, you'd think the likes of Tyler Blackett, Luke Hendrie, Tom Lawrence, Rico Gomes, Kenji Gorre and Charni Ekangamene would be involved.

oskarutd

I included Keane in the team (and his brother on the bench), he's definitely ahead of Cofie.

Guess the disadvantage of such a large crop of first years this year is that we've not seen any U16s featuring like we did last year, so it's hard to know who's likely to get scholarships and feature next year. Going off things like England call-ups, the Malta trip and so on, you'd think the likes of Tyler Blackett, Luke Hendrie, Tom Lawrence, Rico Gomes, Kenji Gorre and Charni Ekangamene would be involved.
Is Charni Ekangamene at United now?

datura

Jack Barmby also?

Decotron

Are any of you aware of a new signing from St. Kevins in Dublin called Richie Purdy? He's the son of an ex shamrock rovers player with the same name. Heard great things about him from a manager at that level.

datura

Are any of you aware of a new signing from St. Kevins in Dublin called Richie Purdy? He's the son of an ex shamrock rovers player with the same name. Heard great things about him from a manager at that level.
This lists a Daniel Purdy (son of Richie) who is a striker for the Irish U15s and played with Sean McGinty, is this who you mean?

Ireland Under-15s gear up to host quadrangular tournament | Football Association of Ireland Official Website

Edit:

Daniel Purdy the match-winner for Ireland U17s | Football Association of Ireland Official Website

Now with the U17s and seems to be listed as a West Ham player, which seems correct as he scored the winner for them v Plymouth in the Youth Cup earlier in the month.

datura

Him and Ben Pearson are the year below but might perhaps feature next season as schoolboys.
Ah, I just recall him being involved at the end of last season against Blackburn and noticed that he looked more physically developed than some of the others and therefore maybe more able to step up an age group or two, plus we do not have too natural wide players.

PS18

I'd imagine Barmby would have a chance, although Gorre and Gomes are both wide players (or can play out there) in addition to Morrison (and Hussain at a push), and you never know who else we might bring in in the summer (or if there are any U16s not really on the radar who might step up). You're right that he certainly looks capable of mixing it physically at U18 level though.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
No H/L's for the blackburn game? Girish II?

Girish II

I was away large parts of last couple of weeks so didn't get a chance to record it

Edit. I did have opportunities to last week but given it was a defeat, I figured the demand was very low.