Youth excites Ferguson

Cold_Boy

It proved too much even for a Chelsea machine oiled by Roman Abramovich's money and Jose Mourinho's management flair but Sir Alex Ferguson is quite prepared to entertain thoughts of Manchester United winning all four trophies this season.

When the United manager was reminded of comments from Rio Ferdinand that he thought the club should aim for a quadruple, he did not dismiss it as idle pre-season talk. "We have a good squad plus a few decent young players for the League Cup and back-up in the Champions League so we will have a go," he said.

It is likely that one trophy at least will come to Old Trafford - only three times in the past 11 years have Manchester United failed to lift a major piece of silverware. But attempting to win everything, which was so often the downfall of Don Revie's Leeds United, was something Mourinho acknowledged at the culmination of a season in which Chelsea won both domestic cups sandwiched between a European Cup semi-final and second place in the Premiership. Chelsea, Mourinho suggested, might be more selective next time around.

Ferguson has always maintained the Treble of 1999 was unrepeatable and if he has to make a priority this season it would be the Champions League, a competition in which his record has not matched his domestic achievements. There will also be challenges nearer home. Yesterday, the Liverpool chief executive, Rick Parry, warned that despite spending £40 million already this summer, Rafael Benitez's shopping might not be over.

In an interview with Inside United magazine, Ferguson enthused about the pool of young talent at Old Trafford, stating that there was no possibility of any further loan deals. "My biggest management job in the next campaign will be with the young players," he said. "Jonny Evans, Gerard Pique, Danny Simpson, Chris Eagles, Lee Martin, Frazier Campbell and Giuseppe Rossi.

''That's going to take a lot of handling. They are terrific young players and there's no way we'd even think about letting them go out on loan because they are the future."

The more immediate future is represented by Ferguson's summer buys. Owen Hargreaves is likely to make his United debut at Peterborough on Saturday - the day before the Community Shield encounter with Chelsea. Ferguson has invested plenty of expectation in Nani and Anderson. Though they may not feature immediately in United's front line, Ferguson considers their combined transfer fees of some £30 million is justified by potential.

''We have known about Nani for a long time," he said. "When we signed Cristiano Ronaldo, he was the next player in the Sporting Lisbon set-up we were keeping an eye on. He was playing as a centre-forward for their youth team at the time. However, he can play wide on both sides.

''Anderson is another fantastic talent. He can play centre midfield or in the middle of attack. We have taken a bit of a risk with him because he broke his leg last year but we thought that if he starts the season at Porto it won't be long before everybody wants him, so we decided to do the deal now.

''They'll give us terrific options because Ji Sung Park won't be available until February. We missed his energy in the run-in so the new lads will help fill that void."

Cold_Boy

Fck the title you cnuts.You can complain to The Telegraph if you want.:o

The important thing is Fergie indicates that Pique and Rossi will stay.And also how he rates the other youngsters and that they will be given a chance atleast.

Kelvin

who cares about the title, at least fergie knows about rossi and pique potential.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So in few words SAF may considering Anderson as a forward. Am I right?

GusHiddink

Alex Ferguson will not win another champions leagu
In the berbatov thread trying to push the deal thr
Fck the title you cnuts.You can complain to The Telegraph if you want.:o

The important thing is Fergie indicates that Pique and Rossi will stay.And also how he rates the other youngsters and that they will be given a chance atleast.
Actions>words.

Rossi- not the future

pique- i dont know enough about

Anderson- no wide player??? therefore chief rubber= looks foolish.

title- suggestive.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Actions>words.

Rossi- not the future

pique- i dont know enough about

Anderson- no wide player??? therefore chief rubber= looks foolish.

title- suggestive.
Rossi = the future
Pique = big hit in Spain, jury still out on how well he will cope in the Prem
Anderson = already said his favourite position is left full-back, read into that what you will

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

''Anderson is another fantastic talent. He can play centre midfield or in the middle of attack. We have taken a bit of a risk with him because he broke his leg last year but we thought that if he starts the season at Porto it won't be long before everybody wants him, so we decided to do the deal now.
So might really be as good as k4 makes him out to be... only just turned 19 and ferguson is already confident that he'd be a star wanted by every big club within 1 season if he had stayed at Porto. He's confident enough of it to buy him on the back of a broken leg and having played very little football.

Exciting.

GusHiddink

Come on gus, what more of an indication do you want that saf rates rossi/pique? Straight from the horses mouth.
i know nothing of pique so cant really comment...the rossi situation i know well. Im sure he does rate rossi. He also rates smith. But he'll rate rooney higher.

Its a simple case of rossi wont get enough games for his development. Unless he's willing to go on loan yet again he will leave. If he decides to hang around til january to see if things change...thay wont..he'll leave. If he decides to give it another season...he'll leave in the summer.

bottom line? he'll leave. matter of when not if. i wouldnt keep repeating myself but everywhere i turn there is a rossi lovefest.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
i know nothing of pique so cant really comment...the rossi situation i know well. Im sure he does rate rossi. He also rates smith. But he'll rate rooney higher.

Its a simple case of rossi wont get enough games for his development. Unless he's willing to go on loan yet again he will leave. If he decides to hang around til january to see if things change...thay wont..he'll leave. If he decides to give it another season...he'll leave in the summer.

bottom line? he'll leave. matter of when not if. i wouldnt keep repeating myself but everywhere i turn there is a rossi lovefest.
If Smith leaves (and he will) and we do sign Tevez, then Rossi will be one of our four main strikers (I predict Ole will get very few games next season) which will give him plenty of opportunities for his development. Look how many games Larsson had last season, even though he was at the club for such a short period of time. And Ole played a lot of football too.

I seem to remember you being quite vocal that Fergie wouldn't be interested in Tevez because he was too similar to Rooney. Turns out you were wrong there. Why are you so confident that Rossi's development will be blocked for similar reasons? Do you honestly think Rooney and Tevez will start every single game next season?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Rossi won't leave the club because when injury plague will strike again(I hope not), he will get more games and become our first choice striker.

Saha's fitness on the start of the season will be a riddle, so Rossi is staying and our attacking formation looks still in a good shape. :)

quethenoo

Im realistic about his situation and while i see logic in what you say, why would SAF name him in such a manner if he was of a similar opinion to yourself?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think smith will go, Rossi will stay if we can get him xx games. Rossi, saha, Tevez, Rooney - plenty of potential to get games. A lot of good young talent added to the rest of the squad.

kanchelskis14

So might really be as good as k4 makes him out to be... only just turned 19 and ferguson is already confident that he'd be a star wanted by every big club within 1 season if he had stayed at Porto. He's confident enough of it to buy him on the back of a broken leg and having played very little football.

Exciting.
That's k14 to you mate!

GusHiddink

If Smith leaves (and he will) and we do sign Tevez, then Rossi will be one of our four main strikers (I predict Ole will get very few games next season) which will give him plenty of opportunities for his development. Look how many games Larsson had last season, even though he was at the club for such a short period of time. And Ole played a lot of football too.

I seem to remember you being quite vocal that Fergie wouldn't be interested in Tevez because he was too similar to Rooney. Turns out you were wrong there. Why are you so confident that Rossi's development will be blocked for similar reasons? Do you honestly think Rooney and Tevez will start every single game next season?
Correct yourself you lazy man i expressed doubts about a move for tevez and still do, there is not a cat in hells chance i was remotely as adamant as i am about rossi. For 25million there is no way, no way he's the best option for this side as he is indeed too similar to wazza. Were saha not so injury prone id actually back him to be a better bet for our side, his link up with rooney and the rest of the side is second to none.

He's too good to fail at utd, he'll get goals no doubt and hopefully be a success. He's young and with a wealth of experience. The good outweighs the bad in the deal, and the fact he's built like a bull means he's excellent back to goal...my main complaint if you remember was rossi's inability to lead our line due to physical deficiencies. The only thing we lose a bit is the ability to go direct from defence to attack in the air..that ball that vida and rio so love playing. The success rate of that pass will fall with tevez in the side and cutting it out will reduce the variety in our play which is why i still expect to see plenty of saha. Its no coincidence Alex has come out and said they were interested in another striker but the club were unwilling to sell. berbatov or a stirker with similar attributes would complete our attack and i think thats the way he's thinking in the long run. berbatov (e.g.), tevez, rooney and perhaps saha>99 .

Also On the plus side with tevez any of the 3 can play upfront with the other and in sir alex's eyes anyone of the 3 can play upfront on their own. Do the math that is 9 possible line ups before we go outside that 3. If at anystage we are short of numbers up top instead of drafting rossi in as one of the strikers i assure you we will use our glut of midfielders to take the slack by playing 5 in the middle. furthermore alex considers giggsy more than capable in the supporting striker role. and id wager ole is likely to get a game ahead of young rossi. Finally only just recently he's said anderson can play in the supporting role. In reality you dont have a leg to stand on..paint it how you like he's way down the pecking order.

Im realistic about his situation and while i see logic in what you say, why would SAF name him in such a manner if he was of a similar opinion to yourself?
He says things all the time that dont match up to his actions. you must know that by now.

GusHiddink - Mental.
Do one you egit.

Mark my words, the vast majority of what ive said will come to pass.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Correct yourself you lazy man i expressed doubts about a move for tevez and still do, there is not a cat in hells chance i was remotely as adamant as i am about rossi. For 25million there is no way, no way he's the best option for this side as he is indeed too similar to wazza. Were saha not so injury prone id actually back him to be a better bet for our side, his link up with rooney and the rest of the side is second to none.

He's too good to fail at utd, he'll get goals no doubt and hopefully be a success. He's young and with a wealth of experience. The good outweighs the bad in the deal, and the fact he's built like a bull means he's excellent back to goal...my main complaint if you remember was rossi's inability to lead our line due to physical deficiencies. The only thing we lose a bit is the ability to go direct from defence to attack in the air..that ball that vida and rio so love playing. The success rate of that pass will fall with tevez in the side and cutting it out will reduce the variety in our play which is why i still expect to see plenty of saha. Its no coincidence Alex has come out and said they were interested in another striker but the club were unwilling to sell. berbatov or a stirker with similar attributes would complete our attack and i think thats the way he's thinking in the long run. berbatov (e.g.), tevez, rooney and perhaps saha>99 .

Also On the plus side with tevez any of the 3 can play upfront with the other and in sir alex's eyes anyone of the 3 can play upfront on their own. Do the math that is 9 possible line ups before we go outside that 3. If at anystage we are short of numbers up top instead of drafting rossi in as one of the strikers i assure you we will use our glut of midfielders to take the slack by playing 5 in the middle. furthermore alex considers giggsy more than capable in the supporting striker role. and id wager ole is likely to get a game ahead of young rossi. Finally only just recently he's said anderson can play in the supporting role. In reality you dont have a leg to stand on..paint it how you like he's way down the pecking order.
Why do you seem to imply that SAF should choose between Saha and Tevez?I just don't understand your logic. FWIW, I agree that Saha is a super player and I would be hard pushed to decide which would be a better partnership, Saha/Rooney or Tevez/Rooney. But one thing's for sure, for large parts of next season (just like every other season) Fergie won't be picking a team from our entire squad, he'll be picking a team from the players that are fit and available.

Football is a squad game, now more than ever, and your argument that any two players are too similar be in the same squad together just doesn't cut any ice.

Assuming our preferred formation is 4-2-3-1 next season, then (all things going to plan) Fergie will be able to pick four attacking players from Giggs, Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani, Saha, Anderson, Tevez, Rossi and Park (when fit). Ole will not play many games next season, believe me, especially if picking him will deny chances to Rossi.

So that's 4 from 8 (or 9) With Giggs predicted to get a lot of rest and Nani and Anderson both predicted to not feature in very many games this season. That sounds about perfect to me, two quality players for every position. And, as you know well, that sort of ratio will give plenty of opportunities for everyone in the squad.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
:lol::lol:

I read the title and thought this was going to be some perverted joke thread haha.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
I wonder if you would get a thread with this title on a gooner website..

"Youth excites Wenger"...

:D

You cant help but laugh...

Broo

Get a brew on
So in few words SAF may considering Anderson as a forward. Am I right?
Apparently he has said that he sees him as a central midfielder. I reckon he sees him as Scholes's replacement.

I see Bardsley didn't get a mention. I reckon he'll be on his bike this summer.
I think he just forgot to mention him. I wouldn't read much into that.

Anderson = already said his favourite position is left full-back, read into that what you will
Read nothing into that. He only said that because Roberto Carlos was his favourite player. I doubt he'll play in that position ever again throughout his whole career.

I think smith will go, Rossi will stay if we can get him xx games. Rossi, saha, Tevez, Rooney - plenty of potential to get games. A lot of good young talent added to the rest of the squad.
Ole will get the occassional sub appearance I reckon. It will be interesting to see if Campbell gets any games.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Apparently he has said that he sees him as a central midfielder. I reckon he sees him as Scholes's replacement.
I remember the previous interview which he clearly stated that. On the other hand, he said that before knowing that we would find it difficult to get Tevez on board. Maybe he is planning for a quick fix?

jatin

there's too much blood in my alcohol system!!
the good thing from that article is his acknowledgment fro rossi, pique and park

park might have become the forgotten man here, but u cannot deny that whenever he played he contributed with goals and was very very effective on the pitch

i would have him ahead of nani and anderson simply because he is more experienced and has a great understanding of the game
obviously he is injured for quite a while
but i dont understand why some people dont rate him very much :houllier: