Youth players breakthrough this season?

LR7

Van Gaal does not care. He can form younger players better to his mold than he can do others. And he has the eye for the special player...

Of Müller only some lunatics believed in 2008 that he could make it at Bayern... Look today. And van Gaal did not promote him because of his mentality or the goal instinct but because of his runs and playing intelligence he made the "pitch a lot bigger for the team".

Van Gaal already in July 2009 - before his first season started - told that Müller will be in his starting formations when Leverkusen wanted to loan him out. And two months later he said the "Müller will always play" that we always recite when a coach does not field in a big match or sub him and we loose.

Van Gaal does not care about big names if they are not in his mold. At Bayern he had Luca Toni, Klose, Gomez and others and he preferred to have Olic (an older player who came for free to Bayern) and Müller over them. In the second season he had to adjust as Robben was injured and he needed Müller on the wing - but in the first season he did not care. And he did not rotate. Müller only missed one match in this season and that was due to a booking.

You should be all aware that there will be a couple of surprises - just - let him do he seems to know better...
Music to my ears.

red_7

I think either Varela or Janko have good chances if we keep playing a back-four.

Lingard is the obvious one, looked the closest to PL level last season.

Powell has heavy competition if he keeps playing up front.

Wilson depends much on Chicha staying or not.

M. Keane should be given chances unless we sign 2 CB's.

Same goes for the midfielders, wait and see if we sign another one.

Dante

Average bang
I agree with @Decotron. Varela is far from ready. He has all the physical tools, so a loan may do him good. It's wishful thinking that he'll be Rafael's backup next season.

justboy68

I think Michael Keane might get a chance under LVG. Wilson maybe some cup games or a prem loan? Not sure about Lingard but he might get some opportunities too.

In Rainbows

Varela should go on loan and Vermijl should get a chance as a squad member. Janko should start playing as a rb for the u21s as he's not talented enough in attack to be a winger and it's also his natural position. If Vermijl does't impress this season and the same happens to Varela, Janko will have his chance.

Wilson is the most likely to feature for the first team in the coming years because he's the most talented although I'm not sure it's best to keep him at United this season. End product is the bare minimum for a striker at a top club and you can't expect a player his age to bring that right away. Dyche has been to a couple of United reserve matches to watch Wilson so he could get some good playing time at Burnley where he will find competition for a first 11 spot much easier.

I've always preferred Thorpe to Keane, but injuries haven't been kind to him when he finally went out on loan. However, despite that, I can see Thorpe getting more of a chance than Keane because he's much better at distributing the ball from the back. It's clear Van Gaal values that trait in his CBs and I don't see Keane being preferred over Jones or Smalling.

Vermijl, Lingard, Wilson (due to his talent), and Thorpe would be my choices as the most likely to have a break through season.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Will Keane will end up playing lower league football.

He might be a good finisher but he's nowhere near quick enough for top level.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
i honestly don't expext any young players will break through this season.

we have a massive squad, and no champions league this season so where going to struggle to give our senior players enough games never mind give young players some minutes.

so unless a youngster really shines in training i can't see any of them really staking much of claim on the first team this season

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Will Keane will end up playing lower league football.

He might be a good finisher but he's nowhere near quick enough for top level.
Think so. Decent player who's done a good job at youth level but there doesn't seem a whole lot there.

Rtdsv

Saw the future and got banned
Not on the same level but what do you lot think about Angelo Henriquez and Nick Powell's chances of having a breakthrough season? It seems as if we have a lot of talent that won't have the chance. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those players in the OPs list becomes a great player for another club

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Not on the same level but what do you lot think about Angelo Henriquez and Nick Powell's chances of having a breakthrough season? It seems as if we have a lot of talent that won't have the chance. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those players in the OPs list becomes a great player for another club
Not seen much of Henriquez. Certainly don't think Powell is about to have a "breakthrough season". He's got too much competition for the forward roles and he has next to no experience of playing in midfield, despite the claims that is his natural role.

Red Comet

These two were:
Nah, I was just confused why he would bring up a false player to supposedly serious discussion. :cool:

If you read my later post I said he's CM01/02's version of To Maderia.

PvsNP

Realistically, I'd say Wilson, Lingard and Michael Keane. In a few years time, I hope we see Rothwell and Pearson in a few years time as well.

Red Comet

Which brings me to this - Southampton compared to us in recent years have a good track record of bringing through great prospects at a very young age. Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gareth Bale and most recently Luke Shaw got almost regular first team football at around 17-18 years old.

On the other hand, the likes of Ben Pearson & Jesse Lindgard whom are highly rated by many on the CAF, are already 19 and 21 respectively and many are still saying that they are "not ready" for first team football.

Is it due to the fact that we are playing at a much higher level that our U21s are finding it much harder to break into the 1st team? And because of this, are they denied the crucial football education that they could have if they were playing regular 1st team football at a lower level?

Or is it that we simply didn't have players from the academy that are good enough in recent years (bar Welbeck & Clevery who made the 1st team, and even then opinions over them are largely divided on the CAF)? Would the likes of Wilson, Lawrence, Pearson, Rothwell, Lingard, Keane brothers etc. be breaking into the Southampton team?

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Such a shame we didn't qualify for the Champions League and give the kids another taste of European football. They would benefit from it greatly. Really enjoyed watching the tournament last season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Wilson and Rothwell IMO.