Youth prospects for 2014/15 season

savais

It appears that the senior squad will have quite an overhaul this summer, if you believe the papers.

Realistically, there is no 200m warchest to go and buy 6 new players, so I am expecting a few youngsters to get promoted to the senior squad like januzaj has done this season.

Queston is....who are the likely ones to get promoted? Is there any position that we dont have any talent coming through? I have not been following the youth team as much in recent years so would like an informed view from others.

Not worried about De Gea so Gollini, Johnstone, etc will have to bide their time

In defence, heard about Blackett at left back. Any other potential first teamers besides M. Keane?

Strikers, Wilson seems to be the one with most potential and we have to see how W.Keane does since coming back from a bad injury.

Midfield is where I have heard we have a lot of talented youngsters making waves. Thats good as its where we are lacking most in the senior team. So who are the ones expected to push for a place next season? Pearson, Rothwell, Harrop, Goss, Pereira or are they too young (keep in mjnd Januzaj is still only 18!!)? What about Petrucci? Or has his time gone?

Do we have any wingers waiting in the wings? I think Mitchell is too young to talk about next season.

Eager to hear eveyones views as I am not too optimistic about our summer transfer window.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
The only ones that may have a chance next season IMO are Powell and maybe Michael Keane as backup should be lose Rio and Vidic.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I used to like Blackett, but I don't see him making it here. Not because he's not talented, but because he loses concentration too easily. Maybe he can overcome that, because he is decent. Although if I'm being honest, I see James as having more of a chance at left back for us.

Michael Keane and Thorpe are both worthy of opportunities. I've said before, I see Thorpe as future captain material for us and I personally rate him higher out of the 2.

Also in defence, we have Vermijl and Varela as right backs, both look very promising.

Will Keane and Wilson are both 2 very excellent prospects, and it's hard to look past both of them to be honest. Wilson has always played 2 years above his age group and is just a fantastic footballer with a great turn of pace, and Will Keane has a lot in his locker and is a proven goalscorer, but with the attacking options we have up front, he will need to go out on loan for a year or 2 at least.

Petrucci I think is excellent, and I really hope he gets to go on the summer tour with us. I saw the highlights of the match the other day and some of his passing was absolutely sublime. He has a cracking shot on him as well, and was outperforming Pogba in his last season here. That's not to say that I think he's more talented, of course not, but you can't deny his application and work rate.

Cole looks really good, but he's small and until we see him on loan playing against men I don't think we'll be able to judge him.

Charni is another solid player, hopefully he goes out on loan. No idea what his ceiling is though.

Kag

Powell and Michael Keane seem to be the furthest ahead in their development, I reckon. However, that's all the more reason to give them a full Premier League loan instead of frittering away in the United reserves. Keane should have had one this season on the basis of his performances during the last one.

I don't think any other young players stand a chance at the moment. Perhaps Varela, as cover for Rafa.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Thorpe and Powell next year, Pearson and maybe Wilson the year after that.

Charni is a mystery, looked not good enough earlier in his career here, but has definitely developped more than anyone in the last 12 months, and could actually be closer than we think.

Nickosaur

Do many on here rate Vermijl? I watched a few U21 games last season and he looked solid enough, don't know how well he's doing this season (on loan at NEC) but he's 22 now, can't see him having a future here to be honest.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I expect quite a few of our youth will be able to make it here but I fear for the likes of Pereira because we're stocked in those positions with the likes of Rooney, Kagawa and Januzaj and he might not stick around until he's given a chance unless we implement a narrower system with 3 attacking midfielders instead of wingers. From our prospects I think Nick Powell will feature next season after a playing so well with Wigan and then there's Ben Pearson which I'm so hopeful about. He looks the perfect next Roy Keane candidate, it would be so brilliant if both him and Goss make it here.

SirFergie

From our prospects I think Nick Powell will feature next season after a playing so well with Wigan and then there's Ben Pearson which I'm so hopeful about. He looks the perfect next Roy Keane candidate, it would be so brilliant if both him and Goss make it here.
And Rothwell.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I expect quite a few of our youth will be able to make it here but I fear for the likes of Pereira because we're stocked in those positions with the likes of Rooney, Kagawa and Januzaj and he might not stick around until he's given a chance unless we implement a narrower system with 3 attacking midfielders instead of wingers. From our prospects I think Nick Powell will feature next season after a playing so well with Wigan and then there's Ben Pearson which I'm so hopeful about. He looks the perfect next Roy Keane candidate, it would be so brilliant if both him and Goss make it here.
Pereira will drop Nd become a top class 8 I think as he develops.

Decotron

Id love to see Pereira in the first team at some point. His vision etc would be better utilised at a higher level. Hopefully the rest of his game develops accordingly. If so he has big chance here.

Ekeke

Do many on here rate Vermijl? I watched a few U21 games last season and he looked solid enough, don't know how well he's doing this season (on loan at NEC) but he's 22 now, can't see him having a future here to be honest.
Pretty good going forward but wasnt completely sold on him defensively. As you say he's at an age where choices need to be made and we wouldnt miss him. I'd prefer to see Varela start a first team match... He's a good defender.

As for others, Josh Harrop is a good player I hope he keeps improving and gets some chances. Such quick feet

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Wilson looks like a real gem as striker.
Pereira is the sort of creative midfielder we badly need.
I quite like Love at RB personally.

Powell probably the most likely to make it, not sure what to think about Will Keane anymore.

Lingard has an outside chance, and I think Zaha will turn into a good player for us in a few years.

DocRockter

Michael Keane will be a beast in a couple of years.. I went to a U-21 basically to watch Zaha and while he too was great, M Keane stole the show. Specially when the Chelsea guy got himself a stupid red card, he took over the middle of the pitch and almost scored a winner in injury time.. After that I've read some reports of him playing for Derby and they have been quite encouraging.. Let's just hope Steve McClaren doesn't ruin him.. And it was the spring of 2012 when he absolutely embarrassed Lukaku in a reserve game. It turned into a clinic in the end, he was THAT good.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not seen much of him but I like the look of Perriera. He's also aiming at making our pre season squad next time. Hope he meets his goal.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Whoever gets their chance should take note of Januzaj. If you get a chance and take it, you will get your rewards.

RooneyLegend

Whoever gets their chance should take note of Januzaj. If you get a chance and take it, you will get your rewards.
But not everyone is as fearless as he is. Some will quite obviously have nerves affecting their performance in their earlier games. We just have to do more in giving them chances.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
OP is saying we won't have 200m transfer warchest etc and there will be overhaul but I don't expect important players to leave. The ones who will be leaving will be Anderson, Young, Buttner, Rio and maybe Nani. Vidic probably. None of this is unexpected. The core will still be around. We will have a warchest of around 100m as this summer is crucial for our future. We will probably have 3 players bought from it, 2 midfielders and a left back or maybe 1 CM, 1 LB, 1 winger. There will definitely be some youngsters coming up though. I am expecting Powell to stay with us (instead of loan) and start to get regular games likes Januzaj this season. Michael Keane as well will be playing some part if Vidic decides to leave. James Wilson and Will Keane need to be sent on season long loans so that they get ready for season after to play in first team.

kundalini

I don't expect to see anyone breakthrough next season in the way Adnan has done this season. Depending on whether we are involved in europe or not, and the summer transfer activity, it is possible that some of our younger players may fill the sort of roles given to Fabio, Anderson and Zaha this season: regularly in the 21 players staying in the hotel pre-match, sat on the bench for 10-15 games, perhaps getting 1 or 2 starts when there are lots of injuries, coming on as a sub 3 times when matches are won.

Realistically, the likes of Michael Keane, Powell, Lingard etc need to go the Welbeck, Evans, Cleverley route and demonstrate their ability to play PL football during a season (or 6 months) on loan at a PL club. Without that experience, they'll be at the back of a lengthy queue, relying on other players being unavailable.

The younger players who get promoted are likely to be those who play in positions that we don't have a lot of cover for, once the transfer window has closed in Aug/Sept. So for example we might see Hernandez leave but not be replaced. Or more leftbacks may leave than arrive during the summer. Zaha may get sent out on loan next season, with Lingard replacing him.