Other YouTube Fame

RedRover

First part - utter nonsense. He has 37.8m followers on Instagram alone. More than Liverpool or Arsenal. He’s clearly a mainstream star.

Of course they are talented. Whether you like someone or not, it doesn’t matter. If they are able to engage a audience and sell product to them they are great salesmen.

I don’t watch Geordie Shore, but let’s take Gaz from it as an example. He’s built himself a career as a reality star over 10ish years, and made himself millions of pounds. If it’s that easy then why isn’t everyone doing it?
Have to agree with this. Whether you like what modern "fame" is about is a different question, but you can't knock anyone being successful.

There's someone from my town who is in a similar mould. There was a TV show about her and her business a few weeks ago on Channel 5 (I think). I suspect most people think she's stupid, but she's built a very successful business and is ( I suspect) a millionaire a few times over. Working with entrepreneurs regularly I've seen how hard it is to build any successful business. I have a lot of admiration for that.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
PewDiePie started off with gaming videos, to this day I'll never understand how he ended up so popular, I was probably too old for his content by the time he started becoming the most subscribed channel on the platform.
I never understood the big deal about Pewdie. Not the controversy parts, just how he is so popular. Other guys like Markiplier I don’t enjoy either but I can at least see how someone might find him entertaining...not so much with Pew. First in the door I guess.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I had to pick my nephews up a few weeks back as we are providing childcare. I asked them both what they wanted to be when they got older. One said a footballer, and the other one said a Youtuber. Then I asked what they'd be if they couldn't be that. The footballer said a Youtuber, and the Youtuber said a footballer.

I suppose with people like KSI they see it as a lucrative career.
You're underselling KSI here. You don't need to be half as big as him to forge a career in YouTube. He's more than "just" a YouTuber now.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Belgium isn't all of Europe, Robin. There are other parts of Europe where MMA is a lot more popular and McGregor is surely one of the most famous sportsmen there outside of your usual soccer stars and national idols.
I'd be curious to know in which parts of Europe MMA is "very popular" and even then, that doesn't change my point. If you're not into it, you wouldn't know McGregor. People on here usually make the mistake that most people know superstar sports people which is just not true for your average Joe. Tennis and basketball are popular sports here, that doesn't mean that people without an interest in those sports would be able to identify LeBron James or Roger Federer, let alone hold a strong opinion on them.

The initial argument was that the Paul fight would "improve his imagine in the public eye". First of all you would need to know McGregor to begin with (or he couldn't improve the image of himself if you didn't have an opinion on him beforehand) and even if you do and take an actual interest in MMA, not one fan would be impressed if he beat Paul. In fact most think it's an absolute farce that they'd be fighting in the first place.

First part - utter nonsense. He has 37.8m followers on Instagram alone. More than Liverpool or Arsenal. He’s clearly a mainstream star.

Of course they are talented. Whether you like someone or not, it doesn’t matter. If they are able to engage a audience and sell product to them they are great salesmen.

I don’t watch Geordie Shore, but let’s take Gaz from it as an example. He’s built himself a career as a reality star over 10ish years, and made himself millions of pounds. If it’s that easy then why isn’t everyone doing it?
He's not a mainstream star at all, and I don't know how a fight against an MMA nobody which he could literally end after 5 seconds would increase his popularity.

And let's just agree to disagree then. Gaz made his fame off the back of a booze and party TV series and had to do very little during that time to gain a following. I'll grant you that he was smart enough to put his earnings in some good investments, but I still fail to see what kind of special talent he has/had.

Zen

Tennis and basketball are popular sports here, that doesn't mean that people without an interest in those sports would be able to identify LeBron James or Roger Federer, let alone hold a strong opinion on them.
Well they would.... this is absolutely batshit insane wrong. I'd give you like some places in Africa or Asia, but a handy amount of Europe/America/Australia etc would know a big sportsman without caring about the sport at all - including Conor McGregor. I guess it's hard to persuade you really if your circle proves otherwise, but Conor HAS transcended his sport, maybe not to Woods, Lebron or Federer levels, but he blatantly has.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Well they would.... this is absolutely batshit insane wrong. I'd give you like some places in Africa or Asia, but a handy amount of Europe/America/Australia etc would know a big sportsman without caring about the sport at all - including Conor McGregor. I guess it's hard to persuade you really if your circle proves otherwise, but Conor HAS transcended his sport, maybe not to Woods, Lebron or Federer levels, but he blatantly has.
Know as in “say Federer or Nadal when you ask them to name a tennis player”, yes. Know as in “be able to identify LeBron”, let alone any other NBA star without having an interest in the sport, then absolutely not and no you won’t persuade me on that, no. Fair enough if you disagree :)

A global superstar is what I consider the likes of Beyonce and Cristiano Ronaldo, not Conor McGregor.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I used to watch Ksi when he was small-time and played fifa back when I was younger. Not watched him in years but his music is complete shit. I've tried listening to it but i can't even finish songs. Its honestly not even chart worthy.

Got to praise him though hes built a loyal 12-16 year old following throughout the years that will buy anything he puts out. Good business strategy.

JP77

Anyone catch any of the boxing event?
It was embarsssing.

I don’t even have a problem with these events but last night was like a wrestling PPV for feck sake. That’s fine if you sell it like that but KSI instead tries to sell it like a genuine boxing show yet he’s fighting two fights in one night and his second fight genuinely did him more harm than good as he was showing off as he beat on a kid they had pulled off the street ffs. It’s all made him look a bit shit tbh.

AaronRedDevil

Manage to catch the last fight. I was curious. That Mexican kid is NOT a pro boxer, to scared to even throw a punch. Kept complaining about everything. Happy to hear Deji won. Thought it was screwed when I saw the look of the other guy.

AaronRedDevil

Yep. Shambles of an event. KSI should have manned up and fought Jake Paul.
He is going to fight him. Ksi hasn't fought in 3 or 4 years. Needed to get rid of the ring rust and have at least 2 fights before he takes him on.

Bwuk

He is going to fight him. Ksi hasn't fought in 3 or 4 years. Needed to get rid of the ring rust and have at least 2 fights before he takes him on.
He won’t because based off what we’ve seen from KSI hed lose badly.

AaronRedDevil

He won’t because based off what we’ve seen from KSI hed lose badly.
Thats the reason he got back into the boxing. To finish the original fight that was supposed to happen instead of Logan Paul.

Zen

We taking this stuff seriously on here? One of the opponents yesterday had likely never been in a High School fight, forget blatantly admitting never actually boxing before 2 weeks ago.... yet there he was.

Freddie Flintoff and Rio were ahead of the curve with this mocking boxing shit.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
We taking this stuff seriously on here? One of the opponents yesterday had likely never been in a High School fight, forget blatantly admitting never actually boxing before 2 weeks ago.... yet there he was.

Freddie Flintoff and Rio were ahead of the curve with this mocking boxing shit.
Who was that?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
It was embarsssing.

I don’t even have a problem with these events but last night was like a wrestling PPV for feck sake. That’s fine if you sell it like that but KSI instead tries to sell it like a genuine boxing show yet he’s fighting two fights in one night and his second fight genuinely did him more harm than good as he was showing off as he beat on a kid they had pulled off the street ffs. It’s all made him look a bit shit tbh.
No chance you're under 32

Zen

Who was that?
Swarmz, I just seen it on twitter in the post fight interview where they said it and he had to learn how to book in 2 weeks on top of draining weight :lol: Hey if it gets them richer, who am I mock it.

But like I said Flintoff was doing this 10 years ago.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
I found the event entertaining with some really good fights, but that last fight was a joke and felt very WWE. KSI should be embarrassed to put that fight as the main event.

Bwuk

Really hope Tate vs KSI happens because KSI would get humiliated.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Really hope Tate vs KSI happens because KSI would get humiliated.
Yeah it would be so great for that absolute gowl, racist, sexist, mysoginist cretin to be given another platform - and for him to win in a boxing event.

Feck that guy, let KSI embarrass himself against someone who is less of a complete and total prick.

Bwuk

Imagine preferring Andrew fecking Tate to KSI.

Seek help.
Never said I prefer him, I don't particularly like either. I can't see KSI fighting anyone who he thinks would beat him though. Tate would.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Never said I prefer him, I don't particularly like either. I can't see KSI fighting anyone who he thinks would beat him though. Tate would.
Based on what?