You've just been hired as the Director of football (DOF), what do you do?

Walters_19_MuFc

As the title says really.

What is a Director of football?

Their responsibilities can vary from club to club, with some being heavily involved in all aspects of the business, including the hiring and firing of managers, scouting, recruitment of players, long-term strategy and the improvement of facilities.

GO!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Spend the first week on the toilet.. then turn to drink.

Champagne Football

I think Ole probably should be given 1 more window and until December 2020 to show if he has anything in him. He's had to rebuild an utterly sunken ship and it's a massive job and he hasn't been backed properly yet.

Hiring the right type of manager is the most important part. Moyes, Jose and Van Clown were all the opposite of what this club needs. Naglesmann, Marco Rose and Pochettino would be the right types to bring the club forward.

Then somehow sort out the recruitment.

Asger

I think Ole probably should be given 1 more window and until December 2020 to show if he has anything in him. He's had to rebuild an utterly sunken ship and it's a massive job and he hasn't been backed properly yet.

Hiring the right type of manager is the most important part. Moyes, Jose and Van Clown were all the opposite of what this club needs. Naglesmann, Marco Rose and Pochettino would be the right types to bring the club forward.

Why is Pochettino a right type?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Their responsibilities can vary from club to club, with some being heavily involved in all aspects of the business, including the hiring and firing of managers, scouting, recruitment of players, long-term strategy and the improvement of facilities.

GO!
Hire someone better than me as assistant DoF...

To be more serious, I would ensure that our staff, in every department were top notch. I find it infuriating that we have hired Mark Dempsey, Mike Phelan, Richard Hartis and Mike Clegg the past few months.

It is really difficult to evaluate the ability of coaches and staff in several position. But it is not hard to evaluate their CV and it is not impressive at all. Liverpool have hired the physical coach who where responsible for the physical condition of Jupp and Peps Bayern team. Do people think it is a fluke that they can play with the intensity that they do? That Bayern could (but seemingly no longer cant). Furthermore, they have hired young staff from clubs like Porto. Evidentley because they believed in them, not because they were good friends with someone at the club.

On recruitment I would try to find out how the best clubs work (Liverpool, Dortmund, Red Bull etc), and try to build a similar system.

And I would try to find three-five coaches that I would like to work with.

red thru&thru

Decline the job and bring in someone who actually knows what the job entails.

Rangnick and Mitchell to bring us back up again. Then sign Rose or Nagglesman as coach

hungrywing

To fix the problems one would also need to have control of wages. So assuming a bit more control than just purely personnel wise:

1. Hire Nagelsman + any staff he desires
2. Establish wage structure

That's really it. Frighteningly simple. It's all we've been clamoring about and it's nothing special. Get a good coach, stop throwing bales of money at the wrong players.

From there obviously you get into the mid/long term details. Probably most noteworthy one being assessing injury record and addressing if below league average. Assessing the scouting/data analysis teams similarly using player transfers/performances, etc. Top to bottom revamp over three years.

Oldyella

Decide on what style of play the club wants to play going forwards.
Decide which players currently in our squad and which youngsters coming though are capable of playing that type of football.
Ensure all youth teams are playing the same style of football.
Ensure the 1st team manager can coach that type of football.
Start drawing up lists of potential players who can fit into the 1st team squad without blocking progress of youngsters coming through.
Look at our scouting set up. For the wages we apparently spend on scouting we are painfully slow in finding players.
Start focusing on a long term plan of lowering our wage structure, we overpay compared to the quality of our squad.

Not sure about week 2

Amerifan

Reconsider my career choice.

A DOF will not solve the problems with recruitment and negotiation.

Jericholyte2

In a similar vein to @andersj i would fix the issues with the staff first. Do a thorough assessment of the back room staff, weed out any deadwood and ensure the best are hired. I would also ensure that all the youth teams look to instil the same tactical approach as the first team to ensure a smoother transition in to the first team.

Next, look at the club facilities. United should be behind nobody when regarding training, rehab, medical facilities.

Then, once a long term manager is in place / get a chance with Ole, come up with a plan for future recruitment with three categories:

1. First team
2. Squad
3. Youth prospects

Champagne Football

Why is Pochettino a right type?
Because what he did at Spurs was nothing short of a miracle. He turned Kane, Son, Dele Alli etc into superstars. His record in the transfer market was impressive - Trippier, Alderweireld, Son, Sissoko, Alli etc
He turned the biggest underachieving club in England into winners on a shoestring budget who punched far above their weight.
Spurs played some breathtaking football under Poch.
What Pochettino did at Spurs is on a par with what Klopp did at Dortmund.
Fergie said Southampton were the best team Utd played in the league, around the 2012 season when Poch was in charge.
He's such an ideal fit for Man Utd it's insane, but I am still for giving Ole a bit of time as he hasn't been backed properly yet.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
  • Consult with Pochettino about some target he would like to bring in. Send him a list of target this January that includes Bruno, Jude Billingham, Eduardo Camiviga, Takefusa Kubo, Suso, and Soumare.

• Extinguish the “United way” notion and establish a new form of football that our academy and first team will adopt which will be Total football 3.0. Pochettino take on this philosophy, that adds intense pressing, possession based football, attacking fullback, improved interplay and so on.
  • Increase our scouting network in countries that develop technical gifted players like Spain, Japan, Argentina, and Brazil. Make exceptions to Africa and improve our scout there.
  • Hire Pochettino and his start date will be immediately at the end of the season.
  • Sack Ole and replace him with Wenger or Carlos Corberan as caretaker. With Carlos Corberan it will make an easier transition for Pochettino this summer, with the possibility that he becomes part of Pochettino coaching team.
  • Add more technology to our training facilities that embedd cognitive computing and predictive analytics into our sports science equipment. Ensure that Pochettino has oversight on this alongside a new IT division.

• /thread

Last edited:

Zen86

Because what he did at Spurs was nothing short of a miracle. He turned Kane, Son, Dele Alli etc into superstars. His record in the transfer market was impressive - Trippier, Alderweireld, Son, Sissoko, Alli etc
He turned the biggest underachieving club in England into winners on a shoestring budget who punched far above their weight.
Fergie said Southampton were the best team Utd played in the league, around the 2012 season when Poch was in charge.
He's such an ideal fit for Man Utd it's insane, but I am still for giving Ole a bit of time as he hasn't been backed properly yet.
So much wrong and exaggerated in this post. Turning Spurs into “winners” for starters.

fps

Commission a statue of Jesse Lingard outside the ground.

Take a short holiday.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

GO!
Hire David Moyes - 6 year contract
Not sign Felliaini with current buyout clause
Chase Gareth Bale very publicly
Chase Cesc Fabregas very publicly
Not sign either
Makes comments comparing my club to Disneyland
Wait until Fellaini's buyout clause has expired - then buy him for more than when the window began

Then just sit back and wait for the pay-rise...

Last edited:

Champagne Football

So much wrong and exaggerated in this post. Turning Spurs into “winners” for starters.
Exactly a year ago on this forum you'd have been slaughtered for labelling Klopp a winner, considering he had supposedly just bottled the CL final against Madrid. But the progress Liverpool were making was suggesting what was to come.
In the past 2 season in the CL, Spurs beat Real Madrid, Inter, Dortmund twice, and dumped Man City and a much fancied Ajax team out in the QF and SF on the way to the final last season. We're talking about Spurs here, a team who been on a par with say Everton in terms of spending and achievement before Pochettino took over.
Winning a few cups in a league where only 1 team can win the league like in Germany or France does not equate to being an elite level manager or a 'winner' as we found out with Van Gaal.

Jibbs

Sack Ole... Appoint either Poch or Tuchel.

Buy
Osimhen 50 m
Morelos 25 m
Kalvin Phillips 40 m
Soumare 40 m
Bellingham 30 m
Pau Torres 35 m
Alex Telles 35 m

Total: 255

Sell
De Gea 50 m
Pogba100 m
Rojo free
Smalling15 m
Sanchez free
Matic free
Shaw 15 m
Lingard 20 m

Total: 200 m

Net spend 55 m

Stacks

I'd wing it for as long as possible to make bank. I'd do wild, extreme and delusional shit like approach Pep and Klopp, just to look like I am busy. I'd be at the training ground any day I can so see what the hell is going on there but also as I get to meet Man Utd players. I'd dance with Pogba and let him post it on the gram. I'd tap up Traore and Neves for next season. I'd use my connections to get at Jadon Sancho and bond with him over out South London roots. I'd be loud, brash and trash talkin, you'd always see me in the media firing shots at our enemies in football including pundits and ex players. It would be a movie

flappyjay

My main question about him is what role did he play in us not bringing in a couple of midfielders in the summer window. Other than that I don't see how another manager would do good with our current midfield options without Pogba and mctominay

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd wing it for as long as possible to make bank. I'd do wild, extreme and delusional shit like approach Pep and Klopp, just to look like I am busy. I'd be at the training ground any day I can so see what the hell is going on there but also as I get to meet Man Utd players. I'd dance with Pogba and let him post it on the gram. I'd tap up Traore and Neves for next season. I'd use my connections to get at Jadon Sancho and bond with him over out South London roots. I'd be loud, brash and trash talkin, you'd always see me in the media firing shots at our enemies in football including pundits and ex players. It would be a movie
I'm liking this, Stacks. I'm liking this a lot.

alexthelion

Are you Poch?

Most of that is lies and half-truths.

steeeb

Be drastically different.

Tell all players there will be a new wage structure in place consisting of a capped standard wage of 75k per week. The contracts then have high performance bonuses mainly team based. They have 18 months to re sign to this contract or they'll no longer be part of the team.

Invest heavily in sports science with an aim to being cutting edge again.

Introduce safe standing.

Incoming transfers need to meet strict guidelines and be long term (unless it makes financial sense - short term signings can also work - but not if they're here on long contacts at an old age on a high wage).

Champagne Football

My main question about him is what role did he play in us not bringing in a couple of midfielders in the summer window. Other than that I don't see how another manager would do good with our current midfield options without Pogba and mctominay
True. I think the thinking was that Fred was always gonna be given a fair chance. But Ole was naive to think he could ignore Pogba's and Raiola's demands to leave, and think Pogba was going to get the head down and bust a gut for him this year. That was a major misjudgement from a rookie coach. Then on top of that, Ole seemed to think Andrea's was first XI material in central midfield, so lots of mistakes that led to us with a current joke midfield, mistakes a better manager may not have made, but on the flip side he's gotten a lot of things right - Greenwood, Williams, McT, Fred etc

Denis79

Fantastic! Sounds a lot like Dinamo Zagrebs former CEO and superstar Zdravko Mamic.

Guy on the table, that's him

Champagne Football

Are you Poch?

Most of that is lies and half-truths.
That's your opinion. I would disagree. I rate him highly. I don't think he's the second coming. I mentioned him in a list of 3 potential managers that would suit Utd, and the usual 'he can't be good as Neil Lennon has more cups than him' brigade come out in full force.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Set up a working group to analyse the positional play of our league opposition and identify weaknesses. Identify suitable training KPIs for the coaching staff. Create a workflow for future transfer activity. Improve our health and nutrition services for players. Have all of this with short and long term goals. Remove Silo working across the entirety of the coaching and management structure. Buy Messi.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Can I sack Edward Woodwood Woodwood?

Sack Edward Woodwood woodwood.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
To me the main thing any “DOF” taking over united should do is figure out how teams like Ajax, Dortmund, Leicester etc are getting talented players in on the cheap.
It might be a great scouting system, great negotiators, whatever, we need to emulate that.
For the past few years we’ve spent pretty big on one player each summer (Pogba, Lukaku, Fred, Maguire)
Getting these profile of players is fine, but we need better cheap finds too, because no side can realistically build a team with loads of 50 million players that all join the club in a short space of time.
That’s not to say that if a Sancho, a Grealish, a Tielemans becomes available we shouldn’t chase them, but we shouldn’t be relying on these big money players, it means we alter the squad a bit too slowly.