You've just been hired as the Director of football (DOF), what do you do?

bludsucker

I would sell all players and fill the team with academy players who would be on peanuts for weekly wages. I would then pocket all the wages that i saved and make a run for it.

NoLogo

Doesn't have to be exactly like it, but something similar:

A lot of good suggestions there imo. I'm a big fan of Zakaria and Ndidi and would love to see us buy at least one of the two. They bring everything you would want of a modern midfielder, robust players who don't buckle under pressing and can play a good pass forward. Ndidi - Fred/Pogba - Zakaria could be a really amazing 3 man midfield for us and provide enough "steel" as well as forward thinking passes to get the best out of our attacking trio Rashford - Martial - Greenwood.

I feel the hardest problem to solve is probably our left FB position. Do we stick with Williams and Shaw and hope that either Shaw will stabilize and not get injured anymore or that Williams is going to improve a lot more? Or do we buy a new player?

fps

Try to sign Gareth Bale for the next five summers.

fps

1) Find the grave of the Headmaster who told me at 16 that I would amount to nothing, and have the Mother of all shits on his headstone
2) Go home and Google: What the feck does a Director of Football do?
3) Arrange to meet Ed Woodward for a game of Badminton, and let him win
4) Sell Carrington, arrange for the players to break into the City training complex after dark and use that for free
5) Buy it back
6) Resign
Jesus Christ, standing ovation

NJM78

Get rid of Ole, Lingard with immediate effect, kick Ed Woodward square in the plumbs and resign.

Alek M

Da manic one
Sell Martial
Sell Pogba

Buy Sergej Milenkovic Savic/Ndidi/Neves/Madison
Buy Sancho
Buy Jimenez/Timo Werner
Buy a LB

Make Rashford center forward,Jimenez to play off him.

Hire Rio or Gary Neville as my deputy and then resign.

Last edited:

SambaBoy

Identify 5 managers that would fit into a culture of planning for the long-term and have had previous success at it, and be ready to replace Ole if he doesn't work out.

I would give him till at least December 2020 to get it right. He's done a lot of good work in terms of getting rid of players and bringing in new players into the squad. He's left himself short by not replacing certain players so he should be given another summer window IMO.

I would recruit better scouts, especially in South America and Africa. We need to bring in the next best thing from these regions, and should have a more efficient feeder club set up there. I would also make sure the scouting system could complie a list of players in each position if we are to move forward rather than the scattergun approach we have adopted, this should include young prospects as well.

Do better at getting transfer fee's for our players. Liverpool and other clubs manage to get top dollar for average players whilst we are forced to sell on the cheap or subside wages to get rid of them.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Hire the best dieticians and make them follow Luke Shaw around 24/7.

Hire the best medical scientists and make them study Phil Jones.

Install hidden surveillance cameras and microphones all around the training ground, so that any sign of revolt, sabotage or simple laziness can be crushed.

Demand “good attacking football with high pressing and fast kicking”.

Stand over Ole’s shoulder and watch every training session, making sure my demands are being enforced.

End goal: Sack Ole and become a DOF/manger, finally fixing the club because I’m smart.

The end