Yves Bissouma / Signs for Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

I don't give a feck about stat arguments, i watch McFred every week and I've watched Brighton quite a few tmes recently and Bissouma is quite clearly better than both, much more comfortable on the ball, composed against the press and positionally better defensively. Whether he'd be another Schneiderlin in trying to step up is a different matter, but the same can be said of Caf favourites Rice and Ndidi, and Bissouma will likely cost half as much.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Is this a fact free zone ? I keep reading statements that are quite clearly incorrect if you look at the data on Fbref, WhoScored and Understat (links below).

Brighton are a passing team. The player on the ball has lots of options to pass the ball to. They create a fair amount of chances but their finishing has been terrible this season.

Bissouma's pass completion rate is 86.8%. Which is marginally lower than both Fred and McTominay. For short passes Bissouma 40.9 (accurate) v 4.8 (inaccurate). Long passes 2.3 (accurate) v 1.8 (inaccurate). McTominay Short 43.4 v 5. Long 2.8 v 1.6.

Perhaps Bissouma attempts more ambitious passes ? 0.4 key passes per 90 mins. Again below that of Fred and McTominay. His xA90 is 0.03 this season, was 0.01 last season, 0.05 the season before. He has 0 assists in the PL in 3 seasons. McTominay 0.8 key passes per 90 mins. xA90 0.11, 1 assist this season. Fred 0.9 key passes, 0.09 xA90

Progressive passes per 90 mins: Bissouma 3.38, McTominay 4.61, Fred 5.73

Progressive carries per 90 mins: Bissouma 4.04, McTominay 5.47, Fred 4.39

He's good at shooting: no he isn't. His shot map is awful. A huge percentage of his shots have been off-target. He has scored 2 goals in the PL in 3 seasons. Shots inside the area: 3 saved 1 blocked 8 off-target. Shots outside the area: 2 goals, 8 saved, 18 blocked, 36 off-target.

Bissouma has one red card this season in the PL, after 89 mins in the 3-0 win against Newcastle so didn't cost them.

I'm not suggesting for a moment that Bissouma isn't a good player but if you think he'd come in and be an automatic upgrade on Fred or McTominay, I suspect you'd be disappointed.

https://fbref.com/en/players/6c203af0/Yves-Bissouma

https://understat.com/player/5609

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/303096/Show/Yves-Bissouma
Very good post. I like bissouma - but it’s very debatable he’s better than Fred and he certainly isn’t better than Rice who is two years younger than him - so I don’t know why Rice/Fred are deemed poor on the ball but he isn’t.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't give a feck about stat arguments, i watch McFred every week and I've watched Brighton quite a few tmes recently and Bissouma is quite clearly better than both, much more comfortable on the ball, composed against the press and positionally better defensively. Whether he'd be another Schneiderlin in trying to step up is a different matter, but the same can be said of Caf favourites Rice and Ndidi, and Bissouma will likely cost half as much.
Completely agree mate.

Bissouma does look technically superior to McTominay and Fred. His skill level on the ball is instantly noticeable when I watched him play. His ability in confined spaces is also a upgrade on both. It's fine having doubts about a player, but from the evidence at hand, Bissouma is a huge upgrade on both McTominay and Fred IMO.

I also agree with you regarding the stats argument. There's a few on here who I don't believe watch games and instead base their opinion purely on stats. Which brings me around to the same conclusion that Mourinho comes to in the below clip.

-Supreme-

Completely agree mate.

Bissouma does look technically superior to McTominay and Fred. His skill level on the ball is instantly noticeable when I watched him play. His ability in confined spaces is also a upgrade on both. It's fine having doubts about a player, but from the evidence at hand, Bissouma is a huge upgrade on both McTominay and Fred IMO.

I also agree with you regarding the stats argument. There's a few on here who I don't believe watch games and instead base their opinion purely on stats. Which brings me around to the same conclusion that Mourinho comes to in the below clip.

Couldn't agree more, I'd say a lot more than just a few on here. They love to use stats to overhype or defend their favourites no matter how the player has performed.

Devil may care

Completely agree mate.

Stas are too often without context, there are so any variables that go into how a player performs, for instance Jesse Lingard is having a great run of form for West Ham, putting up good numbers but he has so much more space than he would for United as teams set up much differently against us. With Bissouma you have to take into account he plays a lot more passes under pressure than McFred and the receivers of his passes who are required to do their part to boost the success percentage are inferior to our forwards.

Whether Bissouma can make the step up is unknown but in truth you can say that about nearly every player linked to us as even players from well established clubs can struggle with the United pressure cooker atmosphere. Ultimately we are going to need 2 midfielders over the next 2 transfer windows and Bissouma could end up as a smart, reasonably priced investment.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Stas are too often without context, there are so any variables that go into how a player performs, for instance Jesse Lingard is having a great run of form for West Ham, putting up good numbers but he has so much more space than he would for United as teams set up much differently against us. With Bissouma you have to take into account he plays a lot more passes under pressure than McFred and the receivers of his passes who are required to do their part to boost the success percentage are inferior to our forwards.

Whether Bissouma can make the step up is unknown but in truth you can say that about nearly every player linked to us as even players from well established clubs can struggle with the United pressure cooker atmosphere. Ultimately we are going to need 2 midfielders over the next 2 transfer windows and Bissouma could end up as a smart, reasonably priced investment.
Agreed.

for instance, if you look at the way Bissouma plays for Brighton, and then Rice for West Ham, which one suits our style of play more?

Brighton are a possession based side who often have lots of the ball in advanced areas, but also need to break up counter attacks.

West Ham are a counter attacking side who's midfield often sit deep and soak up pressure, until they break away at speed.

For me when comparing prices it would be Bissouma all day.

jesperjaap

I like Bissouma....but dont go with the argument of "he would cost half as much". Same token there are lots of players who would also cost half as much that personally I think are also far better players than Bissouma and would probably cost less than him, especially in the French league.
What I would say though not in full agreement with your initial statement, I understand......we definately dont need both Fred and McTominay and certainly both shouldnt be starting so often even if the partnership works. Although not one of the main priorities, it is definately an area we can and should improve on. I think selling one of them and Van De Beek we could buy a quality replacement more suited to our needs and an improvement in quality. Personally it wouldnt be Bissouma for me, good player that has had a very good season though and happy for him he is starting to get the accolades his performances have deserved

Devil may care

I like Bissouma....but dont go with the argument of "he would cost half as much". Same token there are lots of players who would also cost half as much that personally I think are also far better players than Bissouma and would probably cost less than him, especially in the French league.
What I would say though not in full agreement with your initial statement, I understand......we definately dont need both Fred and McTominay and certainly both shouldnt be starting so often even if the partnership works. Although not one of the main priorities, it is definately an area we can and should improve on. I think selling one of them and Van De Beek we could buy a quality replacement more suited to our needs and an improvement in quality. Personally it wouldnt be Bissouma for me, good player that has had a very good season though and happy for him he is starting to get the accolades his performances have deserved
I was using the "he would cost half as much" argument as it relates to Rice and Ndidi who are Caf favourites for a midfield signing, as I think some prefer the idea of a Premier league proven option. Personally I hope we are looking far and wide but it also doesn't mean there's not a great option in our own backyard so to speak.

croadyman

I was using the "he would cost half as much" argument as it relates to Rice and Ndidi who are Caf favourites for a midfield signing, as I think some prefer the idea of a Premier league proven option. Personally I hope we are looking far and wide but it also doesn't mean there's not a great option in our own backyard so to speak.
Yeah we definitely need to be exploring options both within the PL and outside of it as well before making a decision

jesperjaap

Yes that is fair enough and highlights the age old problem of premiership transfer fees. Rice in my mind is pretty much an ideal signing for us but as we also need at least three other positions strengthened £70m+ which is muted is a crazy fee, then again who is not to say Bissouma is a £40M+ fee as well

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Bissouma is a great player and I will be gutted to see him leave Brighton. There are certainly some advantages in signing him for you guys, he's very used to playing in the double pivot that Ole likes as he has done that quite a few times this season alongside Ben White. In that set up Bissouma is the more progressive midfielder. He also plays there alongside Lallana or Gross in which case he is obviously the more defensive. For those looking for an out and out DM that's not Bissouma, he's not a Makele, Kante or prime Matic, he is more progressive than those players, he's a natural number 8, though he certainly has a great tackle on him and a good eye for a pass.

Our this season midfield is pretty much always Bissouma plus 1!

He's still learning and he has a habit of being pulled out of position still, though that's definitely improving. I wouldn't say he is better than Fred and McT right now, but he is progressing and he certainly has a lot of potential to get better and better.

Potter has said that he has worked hard with Bissouma to get him to understand his role in the game and that's paying off now. And that's another advantage for any buying team, Bissouma is flexible in how he plays and is used to playing in front of a back three or four as well as either being the defensive or progressive midfielder in the pivot.

Brighton often attack in 3-2-5 formation (3-1-6 when we're desperate!) with either one wing back joining the front three along with a central midfielder or both wingbacks with the central midfield shielding behind. Bissouma is often the midfielder dropping back rather than attacking, this probably because, despite the odd goal people will have seen on his highlights reel, Fred might be a better finisher than him! McT certainly is. But he can play a nice pass over the top or between the lines, he certainly has the ability to spot those, though more often than not his passes are not earth shattering but pretty much always sensible and safe steering the ball out of trouble. He's also very capable (like any number 8) of winning back the ball and bringing it up the pitch himself.

Of course we are also a possession based team now and actually play in a way that suits the higher tams in the league, progressive, high pressing, one touch passing. So the jump up the league would suit him I think, but he may not hit the ground running and I can see him needing time to settle into a new team and adjust to the pressures.

I would bet my mortgage that he will leave us this summer, hence the transfer of Caicedo as succession for him, but all the links and approaches so far have been from Arsenal and that's where he is most likely to end up, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he is an Arsenal fan as well.

Also those hoping to get him for 25-35 million, not a chance, his price tag is far more likely to be around the 50M mark.

Craig Ward

The kind of signing we need to prioritise more of.

All the hype around Rice/Ndidi but neither are realistic.

Bissouma is a smart bet. He's a cracking player and lots of room to improve. Would be a starter for us, no question from me

Abraxas

If the Brighton fan thinks he's more of an 8 then doesn't that point towards some of the concerns a number of us have regarding his suitability for us?

We have plenty of players that seems to be able to get up down and down the pitch with natural energy. Whether you go for the physical strength of McTominay, the pressing and work-rate of Fred, or Pogba's more progressive play we have a number of options that need a stable partner. The problem is it's extremely difficult to actually get a balanced partnership in terms of passing, attacking and defending.

Whether Bissouma is a slight upgrade on some of them doesn't seem to be the point, we seem to have a giant hole in our ability to build play from deeper areas. Is he really that guy? Maybe, but it's worth thinking about.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If the Brighton fan thinks he's more of an 8 then doesn't that point towards some of the concerns a number of us have regarding his suitability for us?

We have plenty of players that seems to be able to get up down and down the pitch with natural energy. Whether you go for the physical strength of McTominay, the pressing and work-rate of Fred, or Pogba's more progressive play we have a number of options that need a stable partner. The problem is it's extremely difficult to actually get a balanced partnership in terms of passing, attacking and defending.

Whether Bissouma is a slight upgrade on some of them doesn't seem to be the point, we seem to have a giant hole in our ability to build play from deeper areas. Is he really that guy? Maybe, but it's worth thinking about.
If reports are to be believed, we're looking for a player who can play both the #6 and #8 roles. Which makes sense in the double pivot. And Bissouma does look to be that type of player.

And believe it or not, Solskjaer's preferred style of play requires the midfield to provide counter pressing capabilities, wide pressing trap capabilities and also to advance play via breaking the line or advancing with the transition by getting forward and providing a additional pass option. And that can only happen if we effectively push up as a collective, which hasn't been the case, hence it's reported, Solskjaer is prioritizing a CB who can thwart counter attacks single handedly.

And if the price is prohibitive, then we should cast our net far and wide. There's a young midfielder playing at Monaco who is showing huge potential for the role in question and fits the double pivot role perfectly IMO. And I'm sure there's many other players who could be bought for very reasonable fees, too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’d be a quality signing, although there is so far little to suggest that Ole thinks his midfield needs any work. Most of the links are elsewhere.

PoTMS

Arsenal, Liverpool and City interested. Where the feck are we? He would walk into our first team.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Arsenal, Liverpool and City interested. Where the feck are we? He would walk into our first team.
It’s not like us to overrate other teams players and underrate our own :rolleyes:

Bissouma is decent, but Christ.

PoTMS

It’s not like us to overrate other teams players and underrate our own :rolleyes:

Bissouma is decent, but Christ.
Bissouma vs Fred/McTominay. Don't need to be a genius to see which is the better footballer.

JJ12

Bissouma vs Fred/McTominay. Don't need to be a genius to see which is the better footballer.
Just another player to add the list that are apparently miles better than the 2 :yawn:

Completely untested at top level at that.

PoTMS

Just another player to add the list that are apparently miles better than the 2 :yawn:

So you are telling me you think Fred and McTominay are better than Bissouma?

Devil may care

He's PL tested, I mean most options including Rice and Ndidi have never played for a big club before.

jesperjaap

Bissouma is a great player and I will be gutted to see him leave Brighton. There are certainly some advantages in signing him for you guys, he's very used to playing in the double pivot that Ole likes as he has done that quite a few times this season alongside Ben White. In that set up Bissouma is the more progressive midfielder. He also plays there alongside Lallana or Gross in which case he is obviously the more defensive. For those looking for an out and out DM that's not Bissouma, he's not a Makele, Kante or prime Matic, he is more progressive than those players, he's a natural number 8, though he certainly has a great tackle on him and a good eye for a pass.

Our this season midfield is pretty much always Bissouma plus 1!

He's still learning and he has a habit of being pulled out of position still, though that's definitely improving. I wouldn't say he is better than Fred and McT right now, but he is progressing and he certainly has a lot of potential to get better and better.

Potter has said that he has worked hard with Bissouma to get him to understand his role in the game and that's paying off now. And that's another advantage for any buying team, Bissouma is flexible in how he plays and is used to playing in front of a back three or four as well as either being the defensive or progressive midfielder in the pivot.

Brighton often attack in 3-2-5 formation (3-1-6 when we're desperate!) with either one wing back joining the front three along with a central midfielder or both wingbacks with the central midfield shielding behind. Bissouma is often the midfielder dropping back rather than attacking, this probably because, despite the odd goal people will have seen on his highlights reel, Fred might be a better finisher than him! McT certainly is. But he can play a nice pass over the top or between the lines, he certainly has the ability to spot those, though more often than not his passes are not earth shattering but pretty much always sensible and safe steering the ball out of trouble. He's also very capable (like any number 8) of winning back the ball and bringing it up the pitch himself.

Of course we are also a possession based team now and actually play in a way that suits the higher tams in the league, progressive, high pressing, one touch passing. So the jump up the league would suit him I think, but he may not hit the ground running and I can see him needing time to settle into a new team and adjust to the pressures.

I would bet my mortgage that he will leave us this summer, hence the transfer of Caicedo as succession for him, but all the links and approaches so far have been from Arsenal and that's where he is most likely to end up, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he is an Arsenal fan as well.

Also those hoping to get him for 25-35 million, not a chance, his price tag is far more likely to be around the 50M mark.
Interesting assessment. The last line for me is why we shouldnt be in for him though. WHo knows what the fee will be, but i expect with you pretty much staying up, will be nearer the fee you quote. I like Bissouma and I am not even going to say this player is better etc etc. He cost you under £20m I believe from France. Now for £40-50m you could sign pretty much any central midfielder from France, that are maybe futher in there progression and in France at least, considered bigger talents. Camavinga, Kamara, Soumare...of course this doesnt mean they will succeed, look at DOmbele so far at Spurs, though I still rate him highly.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He looks good but he is probably moving in a time when we dont necessarily need him or more importantly need someone else.

I think our most important(only) CDM transfers will be the replacement for Matic and I personally dont see how Bissouma is that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I like Bissouma but this underrating our own players is tiresome

Remember when we had to sign Partey and how he'd walk into our midfield? Yeah he's really pulling up those trees at Arsenal isn't he

JJ12

So you are telling me you think Fred and McTominay are better than Bissouma?
He looks very good for Brighton, to say he’d crawl into our team is way premature. Fred is vastly underrated too.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Bissouma looked very passive v Wolves. Just some other player on the pitch.

First time I've actually watched him, so could be a bad sample, but wouldn't be spending any money on

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
@The Boy

Who is Brightons more important/better player?

White or Bissouma
The better player of the two is Bissouma, but obviously they're completely different. White is developing into a great ball playing CB and he can also be handy at CDM if needed. Biss on the other hand is really more of box to box CM.

The most important player play for us is Dunk!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The better player of the two is Bissouma, but obviously they're completely different. White is developing into a great ball playing CB and he can also be handy at CDM if needed. Biss on the other hand is really more of box to box CM.

The most important player play for us is Dunk!
If you're looking to replace Matic and get a class CDM then Rice definitely.
Bissouma is much more disciplined if you want your flair players to do their thang! Rice looks very dynamic but leaves gaps when he bombs forward.

Either would be good but only one is attainable at a decent price.

jesperjaap

I like Bissouma but this underrating our own players is tiresome

Remember when we had to sign Partey and how he'd walk into our midfield? Yeah he's really pulling up those trees at Arsenal isn't he
I think Partey is a good player, but the hype on here over him was absolutely insane as he has never been anywher near the level people were putting him at. Sayign that, he isnt having a great season but neither are the side. I think he is showign enough to show he is a good plyaer, you can still see the ability.

Personally dont buy this "look how bad they are at such and such, dodged a bullet", several players not doing great this season new and old to our league that I still think could be really good players at several big clubs. SPurs beign a prime example. I still think N'Dombele is a potentially a massive player though he has been average at best and then Dele Ali had one awful season and then has barely played. For me he simply isnt a number 10 but an attackign box to box player, his bes game for England was doignthat role and he can actually get stuck in quite well, think he is being wasted much like Milner was msot of his career bar Villa until Livepool bought him.

For me, I also disagree with people saying we criminally under rate our players. In some cases to a degree yes, but in terms of centre backs and central midfielders to play the pivot, just my opinion but its blaringly obvious we can improve both departments. Getting the right player is another thing altogether but in central midfield especially there are so many potential options that could and sould be a considerable improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.