Yves Bissouma / Signs for Spurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentSmith

What do we think about him as an option for the CDM slot this summer?

Ndidi or Rice seem to be the Caf consensus as players who would do well here and I’d agree with that but either option would require a Maguire-esque transfer fee. Bissouma could provide a cheaper alternative that would help free up the bulk of the budget for someone like Sancho.

His stats hold up to well to others in his position in the league;

- 3rd for tackles
- 5th for interceptions
- 7th for clearances
- 87% pass completion

And I think yesterday demonstrated he’s press-resistant and able to progress the ball from deep through quick passing or dribbling. I think his positioning is also really good and would help provide a focal point from deep for the team.

24 years old and Brighton seem to believe he’s destined for bigger things so I don’t think they’d stand in his way too much (at least in comparison to the way West Ham would for Rice as an example). They’ve also signed two young midfielders (Moder and Caicedo) recently so seem to be taking steps to find replacements already.

I’m definitely a fan so my opinion is far from objective. Be interested to see what others thought after seeing him first-hand last night.

Also capable of this.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Has looked a stand out player all season. Don't see him sticking around.

Lots of rumours linking him with Liverpool.

AgentSmith

Any actual rumours of us being interested in him?
Not much of actual substance. We were interested according to this journalist but little beyond that.

As @Nou_Camp99 says, the rumours revolve mainly round Liverpool. Potentially a Winjaldum replacement if he leaves for Barcelona I guess.

Tallis

Could it be a tidy signing particularly if not expensive. Saw his contract is up in 2023 so perhaps we can force this through.

Perhaps he can pair well with VDB when he starts to get game time.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He looks quality, but won’t be as much of a ‘cheap alternative’ that people think. Brighton paid a fair price for him I’m sure, and he has excelled.

AgentSmith

He looks quality, but won’t be as much of a ‘cheap alternative’ that people think. Brighton paid a fair price for him I’m sure, and he has excelled.
Well they paid £15 million and he’s got two years left on his deal so this summer would be the time to cash in from their perspective.

I was envisioning a deal around the £40 million mark which would be roughly 1/2 of what I think West Ham or Leicester would ask for Rice or Ndidi. If Brighton wanted more than that it would make less sense as an option though.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just think if you're going to fill that positoin, you go for Rice and work out a way to manage the extra 15/20m. Really think it's a no brainer if you're picking between the two, expecially in terms of profile, squad and so forth.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's caught my eye previously but didn't think he was good at all yesterday

Didn't realise he was 24 either, same age as N'Didi and obviously not as good presently

Adamsk7

I’d prefer Rice or Kessie but he’d be my third choice if those aren’t available. He comfortably looked better than all of our midfielders yesterday, which is crazy considering he plays for Brighton. He’d be a huge upgrade on McFred and even Pogba at the more normal midfield things. He’s certainly more consistent in any event

AgentSmith

Just think if you're going to fill that positoin, you go for Rice and work out a way to manage the extra 15/20m. Really think it's a no brainer if you're picking between the two, expecially in terms of profile, squad and so forth.
Rice also brings a leadership and authority that our team lacks in general. Hard to put a price on how valuable that is, especially in the centre of the park.

I just don’t see a scenario where West Ham aren’t asking for close to £100 million for him. We could obviously negotiate that down and use Lingard as a makeweight but it would still be a monster fee, leaving no room for someone like Sancho.

I’d prefer Rice or Kessie but he’d be my third choice if those aren’t available. He comfortably looked better than all of our midfielders yesterday, which is crazy considering he plays for Brighton. He’d be a huge upgrade on McFred and even Pogba at the more normal midfield things. He’s certainly more consistent in any event
Kessie would be a shrewd option given his contract situation. Big United fan as well apparently.

Adamsk7

Rice also brings a leadership and authority that our team lacks in general. Hard to put a price on how valuable that is, especially in the centre of the park.

I just don’t see a scenario where West Ham aren’t asking for close to £100 million for him. We could obviously negotiate that down and use Lingard as a makeweight but it would still be a monster fee, leaving no room for someone like Sancho.

Kessie would be a shrewd option given his contract situation. Big United fan as well apparently.
I agree on Kessie. Very good signing at what would be a decent price no doubt.

Rice I think we could use the Lingard leverage. I reckon we could get him for £50m + Lingard and if that were paid off over a few seasons (like most deals are), I don’t see why it would interfere with a Sancho type signing. You say £100m but I think that’s reserved for the absolute top players and especially those in attacking positions. I can’t see a DM that’s not even a regular international going for that. I think West Ham’s asking price would be similar to Maguire, maybe less.

AgentSmith

I agree on Kessie. Very good signing at what would be a decent price no doubt.

Rice I think we could use the Lingard leverage. I reckon we could get him for £50m + Lingard and if that were paid off over a few seasons (like most deals are), I don’t see why it would interfere with a Sancho type signing. You say £100m but I think that’s reserved for the absolute top players and especially those in attacking positions. I can’t see a DM that’s not even a regular international going for that. I think West Ham’s asking price would be similar to Maguire, maybe less.
If we could get Rice for £50 million plus Lingard it’s a no-brainer. I just think that’s a very optimistic idea given the noises West Ham and Moyes have been making in the press.

Adamsk7

If we could get Rice for £50 million plus Lingard it’s a no-brainer. I just think that’s a very optimistic idea given the noises West Ham and Moyes have been making in the press.
Lingard is probably their best player though! I think to them, he’d be worth £30m (regardless of his actual value probably being about 15-18m with one year left). I honestly believe £50m on top of that in a Covid world would be a pretty spot on fee and all involved would be happy with that.
Of course Moyes is gonna say £100m but we could probably buy most players in the world for that at the moment (Haaland apart).

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s surely an interesting player but I’m wondering how is everyone in here saying Bissouma played better than our midfield? Pogba provided the assist and himself and Fred played all around them in the second half.He burst forward to decent effect once or twice and made some interceptions. He didn’t stand out in any way that would make me think if we don't sign this guy we will regret it. I thought Lallana was their best player yesterday. Same with Rice. Kessie looked very good against us in the first leg but not so much in the second. I’m trying to think of the last time our midfield got schooled. Prob Leipzig away or Milan at Old Trafford

Last edited:

BlahRules

If Liverpool sign Bissouma I can guarantee you the media will acclaim Klopp has turned another average player into world class when it's obvious he is ready for the step up.

Adamsk7

How is everyone in here saying Bissouma played better than our midfield? Pogba provided the assist and himself and Fred played all around them in the second half.He burst forward to decent effect once or twice and made some interceptions. He didn’t stand out in any way that would make me think if we don't sign this guy we will regret it. I thought Lallana was their best player yesterday. Same with Rice. Kessie looked very good against us in the first leg but not so much in the second. I’m trying to think of the last time our midfield got schooled. Prob Leipzig away or Milan at Old Trafford
He’s more consistent at things that should be taken for granted as a midfielder but that none of ours can actually achieve - crisp, accurate passing, being in a good position to receive the ball and being in the right position to cover defensively. He is significantly better at these things than Fred, McTominay and Pogba. Similar level to Matic but he’s of course a fair bit faster and has a lower turning circle.
I am in no way suggesting he can do some of the magic things Pogba can but Paul can’t do some basic things and I think we need that more. Also there’s no way you can claim that as a meant assist:lol:

Ali Dia

He’s more consistent at things that should be taken for granted as a midfielder but that none of ours can actually achieve - crisp, accurate passing, being in a good position to receive the ball and being in the right position to cover defensively. He is significantly better at these things than Fred, McTominay and Pogba. Similar level to Matic but he’s of course a fair bit faster and has a lower turning circle.
I am in no way suggesting he can do some of the magic things Pogba can but Paul can’t do some basic things and I think we need that more. Also there’s no way you can claim that as a meant assist:lol:
it was definitely a shot! Pogba usually takes a few games to get back firing and who cares if he’s making chances. I was really happy with his work rate yesterday. He was mixing it up and getting into the 50/50s. I thought Fred was better than Bissouma. 91% passing and he was playing it forward a lot while very little got past him defensively. I do agree Bissouma has the profile to go to Liverpool or come here and step up but he could very easily also go to an arsenal or Spurs and just look alright but that’s about it if you get me?

AgentSmith

If Liverpool sign Bissouma I can guarantee you the media will acclaim Klopp has turned another average player into world class when it's obvious he is ready for the step up.
Diogo Jota vibes.

Neto and Raphinha seem in that category as well. Either of those two and Bissouma would add a lot to our team I think.

Adamsk7

it was definitely a shot! Pogba usually takes a few games to get back firing and who cares if he’s making chances. I was really happy with his work rate yesterday. He was mixing it up and getting into the 50/50s. I thought Fred was better than Bissouma. 91% passing and he was playing it forward a lot while very little got past him defensively. I do agree Bissouma has the profile to go to Liverpool or come here and step up but he could very easily also go to an arsenal or Spurs and just look alright but that’s about it if you get me?
Yeah I do. It’s hard to tell really with players that look too good for very average sides near the bottom of the league. It’s a bit similar to Fred or Ndombele that looked too good for their previous clubs and ready for the step up but then got found out at the top level. They can’t all end up like a Mane BUT he is ready for the chance at least, we can both agree on that.

Ali Dia

Yeah I do. It’s hard to tell really with players that look too good for very average sides near the bottom of the league. It’s a bit similar to Fred or Ndombele that looked too good for their previous clubs and ready for the step up but then got found out at the top level. They can’t all end up like a Mane BUT he is ready for the chance at least, we can both agree on that.
Yesh he’s definitely an interesting one :)

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I like Bissouma's style of play a lot, if hes available at a decent price we could shift Matic on. I am a fan of Matic, his calmness is so important, but I wonder how long he has left st this level.

Jezpeza

Leave it to scouts. Possibly good, Easily another schneiderlin. Looking decent for a team barely dodging relegation is different to tearing it up at a top team

Ali Dia

I like Bissouma's style of play a lot, if hes available at a decent price we could shift Matic on. I am a fan of Matic, his calmness is so important, but I wonder how long he has left st this level.
When matic plays we usually lose. He’s been done since the start of last season. Bissouma or any dynamic player would be a huge upgrade but Matic has got 2 years left of a massive deal

Ali Dia

Leave it to scouts. Possibly good, Easily another schneiderlin. Looking decent for a team barely dodging relegation is different to tearing it up at a top team
Yeah this is it for me when I think about Rice or anyone sitting. We don’t actually need that in 75% of our matches. It’s just a passenger player playing safe ball with very little recovery tackling needed. Kudos for bothering to spell Morgan S name correctly :)

Red-17

Yeah this is it for me when I think about Rice or anyone sitting. We don’t actually need that in 75% of our matches. It’s just a passenger player playing safe ball with very little recovery tackling needed. Kudos for bothering to spell Morgan S name correctly :)
Fred and/or McTominay have virtually played every game this season and I rate Bissouma ahead of both of them on the ball so I don’t see how that’s applicable. Brighton also play a very good style of football where they look to play on the front foot so he already has experience in that kind of team.

Ekeke

Think he'd be a decent addition but not sure he's that endgame top DM and if he isnt then we have a bloated supply of players who can play DM without being that one guy we can trust to protect the back 4 when needed

Ali Dia

Fred and/or McTominay have virtually played every game this season and I rate Bissouma ahead of both of them on the ball so I don’t see how that’s applicable. Brighton also play a very good style of football where they look to play on the front foot so he already has experience in that kind of team.
Statistically he’s not outperforming Fred and we are 14 places above them in the league. He didn’t do anything yesterday that our players couldn’t do and they comfortably played around him. He was invisible in the second half. If the scouts see it so be it but I would be cautious about this one. I think Partey would have been the best signing of all for the position. Dynamic and an aggressive passer with the added bonus of experience of playing at the very top level

arthurka

A mate of mine follows Brighton and he doesn't stop going on about him. I have watched him a lot this season and he always looks good and often the best player on the pitch. I can see him take a step up in his career, he looks ready for it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Great player, he'd suit out team better than Rice in the sense that Brighton actually play possession based football.

They rarely just sit back and defend so he's used to playing higher up the pitch and actually pressing, making it easier to translate to a top side.

AgentSmith

Lingard is probably their best player though! I think to them, he’d be worth £30m (regardless of his actual value probably being about 15-18m with one year left). I honestly believe £50m on top of that in a Covid world would be a pretty spot on fee and all involved would be happy with that.
Of course Moyes is gonna say £100m but we could probably buy most players in the world for that at the moment (Haaland apart).
I think you were onto something here.

At this rate it’s gonna be a straight swap for Rice :lol:

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

When matic plays we usually lose. He’s been done since the start of last season. Bissouma or any dynamic player would be a huge upgrade but Matic has got 2 years left of a massive deal
We have dynamic players here who generally start over him. Problem is we need a dynamic player who can pass

youngrell

I mentioned in another thread earlier that I was impressed with a few things from him last night.

Another thing I noticed, was he barely seemed to be exerting himself despite often being the player to break up our attacks. That says to me that he has very good positioning.

Fred probably wins the ball just as much but you’re always aware of it with him because he’s so erratic/enthusiastic in his approach. Bissouma just seems to go about things in a quieter, less obvious manner.

Ali Dia

I mentioned in another thread earlier that I was impressed with a few things from him last night.

Another thing I noticed, was he barely seemed to be exerting himself despite often being the player to break up our attacks. That says to me that he has very good positioning.

Fred probably wins the ball just as much but you’re always aware of it with him because he’s so erratic/enthusiastic in his approach. Bissouma just seems to go about things in a quieter, less obvious manner.
As in Bissouma covers much less ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.