Zidane Iqbal image 55

Zidane Iqbal England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmm-Qatarian

Look at where he's going. Look at the price.

This isn't a mistake from the club. This is a player who isn't very good who is going to a team that is not very good.
Obviously the "isn't very good" part is relative but I agree with your sentiment. If this kid was a special talent he'd have more than just Utrecht interested in him for a million quid.

Development isn't linear, so there's always the chance he could really kick on in Holland, but that's why I think it's smart for us to opt for the sell-on clause rather than taking what would likely be a million or two more at best.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Very promising pre-season but one followed by a underwhelming reserve campaign. Still he's 20 yrs old with plenty more time in the game.

I think he has something about him, personally. Very graceful player. Be interested to see how he progresses.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Strange one that. Im not bothered about us letting him go but The fee is a joke.

The White Pele

He looked a better player than that in pre-season last summer but I guess we don’t see him day by day at Carrington. Ten Hag was obviously not as impressed as he seemed to be on first impressions.

I think there was talk of him going on loan last season but IIRC Ten Hag liked him and wanted to keep him close.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I think there are a lot of problems with the way the club is run but when it comes to selling academy players, their track record is pretty solid.

Every summer at least one popular young player (who had previously been hyped as a future first teamer) gets sold and the Caf reaction is always the same. Surprise and outrage.

Every time, the player ends up going their whole career without reaching the level required to play for a club of United's stature. Often, they fade into obscurity, dropping down the divisions over time.

I trust the club on this one. If this guy's name was anything other than Zidane, there probably wouldn't have even been this much hype in the first place.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The 'we overate our young players' is such a overused statement on here and it couldn't be further from the truth.

Iqbal, and many other of our reserve players, are very talented but due to the overwhelming strength of the league you need much more than that.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The 'we overate our young players' is such a overused statement on here and it couldn't be further from the truth.

Iqbal, and many other of our reserve players, are very talented but due to the overwhelming strength of the league you need much more than that.
Both statements can be true. We have a very strong academy with very talented players, but the level they need to reach to make it into the first team is extremely high, and most posters here underestimate the gap that exists between the two.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's going to FC fecking Utrecht? Can't be all that great then, Utrecht are shite.

Red00012

What is wrong with us.

Why do we not even give the boy a shot at Championship, if he does well he’s suddenly worth 10-20x that amount. If not, then we sell him €1m..
Because we’ve decided he’s not good enough and maybe he wanted 1st team football. Look at the club he’s going to. Chances are he’ll have a decent career in lower leagues

RuudTom83

As fans we get to see so little, news like this can be surprising but the coaches watch him everyday.

I wish him well and hope he can make the step up in a few years.

Marwood

Its not so much selling him for little.

It's that we guaranteed this would happen by barely allowing him to kick a ball all season. You sell a player after a season kf nothing and yeah of course the fee will be small.

Why not loan him out sesson gone? He'd slmost certainly have gone for more than £1 million that way.

DWelbz19

Look at where he's going. Look at the price.

This isn't a mistake from the club. This is a player who isn't very good who is going to a team that is not very good.
And there’s a big sell-on clause. It’s probably a very good deal.

Stadjer

Ofcourse they are talented because otherwise they wouldnt be signed for Manchester United. Even a failed and out of football former Manchester United youth player is talented at football compared to almost every other person who plays football.

The overrating comes in thinking that a youth player from Manchester United would be able to come into the Manchester United squad and be able to match up with the other players. Or that Manchester United youth players are able to just walk into a Premier League team.

If Iqbal was really as good as some think he is then why didnt a better club than Utrecht come in with more money? Dortmund need a new midfielder but i guess they dont see the future superstar in Iqbal. I suppose Iqbal just isnt as good as people think he is so they do overrate him. He is still a very talented footballer compared to most of us though.

Could be a good Eredivisie player, who knows. Im going to keep an eye on his development.

AjaxNL

FC Utrecht is my local team, I have a ST as well. Very much looking forward to seeing him play next season

MTF

Ofcourse they are talented because otherwise they wouldnt be signed for Manchester United. Even a failed and out of football former Manchester United youth player is talented at football compared to almost every other person who plays football.

The overrating comes in thinking that a youth player from Manchester United would be able to come into the Manchester United squad and be able to match up with the other players. Or that Manchester United youth players are able to just walk into a Premier League team.

If Iqbal was really as good as some think he is then why didnt a better club than Utrecht come in with more money? Dortmund need a new midfielder but i guess they dont see the future superstar in Iqbal. I suppose Iqbal just isnt as good as people think he is so they do overrate him. He is still a very talented footballer compared to most of us though.

Could be a good Eredivisie player, who knows. Im going to keep an eye on his development.
Yep, pretty much. If his youth performances had impressed anyone else there'd be more bidders for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.