Zidane Iqbal England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Think he needs a bit more physicality still, I hate to say it but in the centre of midfield he is regularly pushed off the ball so a bit of extra steel would do him the world of good, he actually reminds me of Pogba in the way he moves and passes (without the shooting & physical ability)

dutchred

Think he needs a bit more physicality still, I hate to say it but in the centre of midfield he is regularly pushed off the ball so a bit of extra steel would do him the world of good, he actually reminds me of Pogba in the way he moves and passes (without the shooting & physical ability)
Actually the way he uses his body movement to get pass those pressing him reminds me of Frenkie de Jong

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Actually the way he uses his body movement to get pass those pressing him reminds me of Frenkie de Jong
I watched the highlights someone clipped up here several posts back and for me too often he is going down or getting pushed of, his awareness/ vision etc I can see the likeness to FDJ but Frenkie does have better strength on the ball (As you would expect from an older player)

dutchred

I watched the highlights someone clipped up here several posts back and for me too often he is going down or getting pushed of, his awareness/ vision etc I can see the likeness to FDJ but Frenkie does have better strength on the ball (As you would expect from an older player)
agreed

NoPace

Very good on the ball in the middle third of the pitch, even better off of it, but he lacks strength and just isn't looking enough to get into shooting positions or play through balls in the final 3rd, though neither are uncommon at his age, and to be fair one of our better openings came from him recycling possession when everyone else was offside or not in any sort of position to receive it.

SAF is the GOAT

What are we going to do with him ? because right now he doesn't get any minutes and its probably require a loan for him maybe to the championship

Golden Nugget

I really like what I see from him - his technique, touches and ability to make space and drive the ball forward. Its something we’ve wanted for years - and I really want him to make it here.

Issue is his strength - in which even if he doesn’t have a career at United, I think he will have a decent career in Spain or other leagues

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What are we going to do with him ? because right now he doesn't get any minutes and its probably require a loan for him maybe to the championship
Not sure myself, I think another 6 months training with the first team will do him no harm but I would like him to go and play some men's football with his national team. A few games at that level would give him a proper taste of first team football ready for a loan next year.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He needs a loan.

To good to sit in the reserves and not quite good enough for the firsts

Trex

I really like what I see from him - his technique, touches and ability to make space and drive the ball forward. Its something we’ve wanted for years - and I really want him to make it here.

Issue is his strength - in which even if he doesn’t have a career at United, I think he will have a decent career in Spain or other leagues
I don't see strength being a make or break factor especially under a manager like ETH, so far as he can be positionally smart and show good stamina.
Eriksen isn't the strongest and neither was Scholes plus Zidane is still quite young and will improve in that department long term.

Golden Nugget

I don't see strength being a make or break factor especially under a manager like ETH, so far as he can be positionally smart and show good stamina.
Eriksen isn't the strongest and neither was Scholes plus Zidane is still quite young and will improve in that department long term.
I disagree about Scholes as I think he was strong enough on the ball but agree with everything else. I guess we will see - I just really want him to make it cos he really impressed me during preseason, but hasn’t really been given a chance since

Boondog

Keep working and growing. Have to think at some point this kid will get a shot so be ready for it when it happens.

Giggsyking

Very good under pressure.

The Iraqi federation have been in contact with utd and the Iraqi national team manager traveled to Spain to watch him and to try and convince Ten Hag to let him go for the Gulf cup in January in Iraq (non FIFA days).

Crimson King

The Iraqi federation have been in contact with utd and the Iraqi national team manager traveled to Spain to watch him and to try and convince Ten Hag to let him go for the Gulf cup in January in Iraq (non FIFA days).
Would depend on what EtH has planned for him, but feels like it would be much more beneficial to stay a at United and get minutes than go to the Gulf cup.

Obviously if that's not going to happen then maybe they should let him go. I can't imagine the football quality will be high, but it would be a good test of his mentality.

Giggsyking

Would depend on what EtH has planned for him, but feels like it would be much more beneficial to stay a at United and get minutes than go to the Gulf cup.

Obviously if that's not going to happen then maybe they should let him go. I can't imagine the football quality will be high, but it would be a good test of his mentality.
The football quality will not be high. But he will be playing in front of 60k iraqi supporters. I would love to see him play.

pascell

Their squad list has been announced and he wasn't on it, guess ten Hag refused to release him for the Gulf Cup which is disappointing as he hasn't played much competitive football this season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Their squad list has been announced and he wasn't on it, guess ten Hag refused to release him for the Gulf Cup which is disappointing as he hasn't played much competitive football this season.
Always felt we handle our youth development of players really weirdly after they stop playing for the U23s. A lot of them go a long time without any meaningful football. Seems a really strange way to do things.

Giggsyking

Very disappointing, I was looking forward to see him play in full packed stadiums to let him get used to playing in front of 60k supporters.

Trex

I interpret it as a good thing for him, Ten Hag wanting to keep him around suggests he sees him in his plans somehow.

jeepers

I interpret it as a good thing for him, Ten Hag wanting to keep him around suggests he sees him in his plans somehow.
But he isn’t going to play ahead of Fred, McT and DVdB. I guess Zidane training with the first team is more important/crucial to EtH.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Maybe it's because it would have implications on insurance etc? If it isn't a Fifa event maybe we wouldn't be covered if he got a serious injury etc? Sometimes it isn't always about playing time.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Always felt we handle our youth development of players really weirdly after they stop playing for the U23s. A lot of them go a long time without any meaningful football. Seems a really strange way to do things.
Maybe we’re going to send him out on loan.

Devil81

He needs a loan, some of these lads stagnate without playing time. It's not like were dominant like City and can afford to drop them into the odd game knowing the other players will carry the game through whilst he develops.

NoPace

This is quite similar to what Eriksen does for us. Pass and move, play neatly out of tight spaces and hit 2-3 really quality passes per half. He's not an exceptional striker of the ball like Eriksen is, but he's also 19.

Ideally I think he'd go on loan for the 2nd half of the season unless Fred or McTominay leaves in January. Would be nice to see him get 4 months for a Champo or a mid-table Eredivisie team playing 4-3-3 that plays high possession football. Probably easier to find the latter.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
With Donny out and cup games coming up would love to see Zidane get some game time for us.

RedDF

Mainoo starting ahead of him tonight, wonder if Ten Hag doesn’t fancy Iqbal.

SAFMUTD

My thoughts as well, after what I though was an impressive preseason in the summer I thought he was going to get some minutes in the EPL and definitely start in the cups. It's been neither, he's still young but other youngsters starting before him doesnt look good.

Yeah it’s either attitude or his training. He’s been on the bench in the PL a lot so ETH clearly rates him. Not a talent issue.

Glorio

Midfield is quite a key area where control of the match can easily be lost with an inexperienced player. I feel if we scored more goals to kill games off earlier, these youngsters wouls have more of a chance.

Even when we've won well since the WC, it seems like we hold on to a 1 or 2 goal lead, and then hammer teams on the break at the end when they get desperate.

If we start routing teams with 3-4 goals leads by half time (easier said than done, I know), I think we could see more of the likes of Iqbal.

Smores

Yeah it’s either attitude or his training. He’s been on the bench in the PL a lot so ETH clearly rates him. Not a talent issue.
Doubt it's either or he wouldn't be on the bench. I think ETH is simply in the situation where he has seniors who need minutes instead.

He'll have to wait for an injury or go out on loan. At best he might see some time in the Reading game.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
There's certainly something going on but if he didn't fancy him, he probably wouldn't keep him training with the first team for the entire season as well as semi-regularly putting him on the bench.

captaincantona

Ten Hag has mentioned several times that he wants young players to not just play for experience - they need to be ready to add to the team and make an impact. He has spoken of it in relation to Garnacho, why Amad is not coming back…he mentioned it about Pellistri the other night.

While Iqbal has looked confident and good technically…its tough to impact a game in midfield when players like Fred and McT barely get minutes. Ferguson used to start young midfielders out wide to give them experience without as much responsibility.

Mainoo just looks more capable both technically and physically to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.