Zidane Iqbal image 55

Zidane Iqbal England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Along with Savage, played extremely well. Composure and close control that helped navigate the midfield and he was trying to find passes that put us on the front foot too, whilst also getting back into a proper defensive position when Savage would push on with a press. Had less issues than McTominnay and against much higher quality players.

Ekeke

Zidane was good, I think people are overrating Savage's performance. We lost the midfield battle in the second half due to him, so I don't see how that performance is being praised.
We came out for the 2nd half with a completely new team of youngsters while Liverpool put on their big guns and needed to do much better in the 2nd half.

Considering who they were up against Savage and Iqbal did great. And the team in general did well in the circumstances after 60 mins or so when the 2nd team started to get to grips with the game after a poor start to the half. Savage mainly impressed with a couple of nice distance passes to find teammates and getting stuck in, while Iqbal impressed with his composure and ability to go past players and find a successful outcome, whilst also helping out dropping into a defensive position as needed. Good to see him have that responsible side and not just working hard when we have the ball and he can show off a bit, like Amad.

tjb

We came out for the 2nd half with a completely new team of youngsters while Liverpool put on their big guns and needed to do much better in the 2nd half.

Considering who they were up against Savage and Iqbal did great. And the team in general did well in the circumstances after 60 mins or so when the 2nd team started to get to grips with the game after a poor start to the half. Savage mainly impressed with a couple of nice distance passes to find teammates and getting stuck in, while Iqbal impressed with his composure and ability to go past players and find a successful outcome, whilst also helping out dropping into a defensive position as needed. Good to see him have that responsible side and not just working hard when we have the ball and he can show off a bit, like Amad.
That's my problem with the praise. It reminds me of the Mctominay situation. He runs around and brings energy, yet the attackers barely get the ball in positions to attack. Then people praise Mctominay and have issues with our attackers despite the fact that their poor performance was due to the lack of supply.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Never seen him play outside of this game, but looked promising and calm on the ball. And on that side felt he stood out a bit. Will be interesting to see how he develops, and goes as the tour continues.

Ekeke

That's my problem with the praise. It reminds me of the Mctominay situation. He runs around and brings energy, yet the attackers barely get the ball in positions to attack. Then people praise Mctominay and have issues with our attackers despite the fact that their poor performance was due to the lack of supply.
A 19 year old Savage played better than he did and it was against a stronger level of opponent. Think thats very different to McTom who is 6 years older and has been a starter for us. Savage absolutely did find a couple of good Carrick-like passes to spread play and help bring the ball to the attackers. The problem is it was against Fabinho and Thiago, not against kids, so yeah he couldnt do it every time he got the ball.

Jaykespeare88

Personally would like to see us playing our youths more instead of the constant loans.
If it's the right club for the right player like Garner at Nott Forest then sure, but too many loans are a waste of time when the player could have progressed better with us.

We can't play x-number of youths like Barcelona but we can surely make room for more than we have in the recent years.
After listening to what Ton Heaton said i think ypur right, the youth team will be much closer to the first team in term of training and integration.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
But they were getting the balls into the attackers and they weren't making it stick. I take your point about transition through the midfield third generally but that wasn't an issue yesterday, the issue was squarely with the attackers (DvB included)

If Savage and Iqbal had played the first half.with Sancho, Martial and Rashford in the mood they were in. It would have been an even better performance imo.

Theo88

On their U23 showings Hannibal and it's not even close. That doesn't necessarily mean Iqbal won't handle the step up to senior level better.
Isnt Hannibal typically deployed higher in the pitch ? I always thought of Hannibal as a CAM/ advanced playmaker whereas seeing highlights from Zidane he felt like a DLP.

Either case, he really looked brilliant on the ball, showed some flair when carrying the ball and this was indeed against a high pressing team. The kid has talent i got some Xavi vibes but this could be me being overly excited when i see young prospects doing fancy footwork

Yagami

Good post resistant
Those two highlights show exactly what Frenkie de Jong is also very good at. Guess ten Hag can always play Iqbal instead if he doesnt get Frenkie...
Exactly!

To me, aside from just getting a brilliant player, a big benefit of de Jong joining is that future generations will look up to him and try and emulate his style. We already have Galbraith, Mejbri and Iqbal utilising the la pelopina, and Gore and Mainoo from the next gen, too. The more players we develop who have this skill in their arsenal, the better.

Lentwood

Looked really good and I believe this lad has a real chance.

What I liked is that he was always willing to receive the ball under pressure, he had good awareness of what was going on around him and he was constantly looking to turn. These things are very difficult to teach.

Sure, a couple of his longer passes didn't come off but I think that's easier to either a) practice or b) just stop doing so much.

I am really, really hoping we see more of these technically very comfortable, press-resistant players. Who knows, we might have a mini-Jorginho/FDJ type player on our hands - even if there's a long way to go yet!

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Getting a bit much, think we need to slow down and remember it's pre-season, he looks like he has a good centre gravity and can turn very easily with a decent pass, haven't seen the defensive side of his game and it's very rare a CM at his age is ready for PL football. It was a good cameo but think it's getting a bit carried away.

romufc

Getting a bit much, think we need to slow down and remember it's pre-season, he looks like he has a good centre gravity and can turn very easily with a decent pass, haven't seen the defensive side of his game and it's very rare a CM at his age is ready for PL football. It was a good cameo but think it's getting a bit carried away.
I don't think anyone thinks he is read for PL football. Alot of fans are just happy to see a CM that can pass.

Considering we are in the Europa, he has every chance to play alot of games in those games.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Havent searched but he's 19? surely its not unusual to see a CM playing in the PL at 19?

Olecurls99

Serious ability. He looked a little nervous yesterday, which is to be expected, but the lad can have a big future. Wonderful technique and balance.

It was a good game for him. We know he's got a bit of talent but more impressive was how confident he looked on the ball. That can't be taught.

GreatDane

After listening to what Ton Heaton said i think ypur right, the youth team will be much closer to the first team in term of training and integration.
Sounds good if true, it's always great to see youths comming up the ranks.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd like to see him played in CM alongside Fred with Rashford, Fernandes, Martial, Sancho ahead. Think that could be really nice balance.

Crickus

Impressed me from what i saw. Loved his ability to take the ball on the half turn. Probably will need to bulk out a little bit more but would like to see him given a run of games in the 1st half of the season instead of going out on loan

Sea-Cow

How did he and Savage do defensively? Were they bypassed easily, or were they able to get stuck in some?

avgp_1

How did he and Savage do defensively? Were they bypassed easily, or were they able to get stuck in some?
Savage was playing the deeper role, shielding the defenders. He covered well. Cut out a couple of passes from midfield, made a good block from the wings, couple of clearances from the box.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If I was Ten Hag I would play him in a 2 man midfield vs City and Liverpool away and see how he handles the pressure. If he swims he swims.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I know it’s one game but which player did he remind people off from his half turns and dribbles?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If I was Ten Hag I would play him in a 2 man midfield vs City and Liverpool away and see how he handles the pressure. If he swims he swims.
Or we can pick and choose games and develop him carefully like any other managers do.

Dante

Average bang
I'd love for him to make it here. But I thought he looked miles off if we're talking about giving him PL minutes this season. Every touch was a turn backwards to run towards his own goal. And so were most of his passes.

He has, however, got fantastic natural balance that allows him to turn on a dime. His first touch is also very good. So I can see why so many people were impressed. He's definitely got some decent tools to work with.

I think he needs to stay with the U23s for another season or two before going on loan. He's not ready for any level of senior football yet, let alone PL.

Sea-Cow

Savage was playing the deeper role, shielding the defenders. He covered well. Cut out a couple of passes from midfield, made a good block from the wings, couple of clearances from the box.
Thanks for the update.

Chief123

This kid is going to get stopped so much at Airport security because he’s got some balls of steel.

Unlikely lad

He’s been excellent so far in pre-season.
Does he usually play in a double pivot for the academy? Or as a 10?

crackers0seven

Very impressive. Smooth in possession and always looking for the ball and looking to make something happen. Everything donny should be but isn't. Great that we moved on so much dead wood this summer. Hopefully some of these young lads get mins and develop this season.

CarbonStoolBites

This kid is absolutely brilliant. How old were Pedri and Gavi or Cesc Fabregas when they became starters?
If he’s good enough then he’s old enough.

I almost wish we don’t sign anyone so he could get a real chance.
Ridiculously impressed by him.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I think ten Hag will give him chances for minutes this season, looks the type of player perfect for his tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.