Zidane Iqbal image 55

Zidane Iqbal England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManRed

With the signing of eriksen and the potential of Zidane, Savage and Hannibal am I the only one who isn't concerned if we dont sign De Jong and rather spend the dough at another position. There will be a massive difference if De Jong comes in but that also means the kids will get way less opportunities with the first team.

RedTiger

Half mast
With the signing of eriksen and the potential of Zidane, Savage and Hannibal am I the only one who isn't concerned if we dont sign De Jong and rather spend the dough at another position. There will be a massive difference if De Jong comes in but that also means the kids will get way less opportunities with the first team.
Maybe it's because of the pre-season games but I agree. If Martinez comes in and plays CDM then I think we're good on the midfield front. On the bright side, Barca can't hold us over a barrel for FDJ.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think the club can stand by and expect homegrown players to make it to a world class level, but Fred isn't getting any younger also, DVB probably won't last long.

If he keeps showing this level he will get plenty of minutes i'm sure.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
No your not, I was thinking the same thing, also I watched videos of Antony, and he doesn't appear to me to be worth the price that Ajax are asking.

Abraxas

Looks a really nice little player.

The only caution I'd urge is preseason can be a time where gifted younger plays do shine due to the lower standard and slow pace of games. It doesn't mean he's ready for a lot of minutes this year.

He's a bit of a weird one to handle because of his physique and style. If you send him on loan you have to get a club with a non risk-averse manager that isn't just going to put in a big lad to "do a job." There's a big danger he'd be sat on his arse for a year so hopefully we make better decisions than we have been with some of our loans, or simply keep him at the club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Havent searched but he's 19? surely its not unusual to see a CM playing in the PL at 19?
There was three 19 years old or younger central midfielders who played in the PL last season for some actual minutes. About 3 games worth for two, and 7 for the other.

Harvey Elliott (346 minutes);
Moises Caciedo (664 minutes);
Carney Chukwuemeka (295 minutes)

So yeah, pretty unusual.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Speaks so well for such a young lad!
As much as some players say, love the club and shirt etc - you can really feel he genuinely means it.

You can see how proud Mckola is also. As a few of the other British Asian lads in this thread have said, he clearly means a lot to them.

Not that it should ever really be used to influence a players career, but if he can make it in the first team it would help with PR/Sales immensely i'm sure.

Blood Mage

He just glides with the ball, lovely to watch. He has the right coach to develop under now so let's see where he goes from here, his passing needs a bit of work and he needs to get stronger.

cyberman

If you told me we can’t take De Jong but the kids will get a chance this season in his spot I’d probably take it.
Thing is it’ll probably be one of McFred.

Strootman's Finger

Hannibal can't get a minute of play on the tour, how's he going to start in the league?

Trequarista10

Why wasn't he highly rated before? I remember countless posts in the last two years where people said that he'll never make it here. I didn't watch his games so I genuinely wonder.
Can't speak for everyone who watches the youth teams, but for me it was just because we've had numerous somewhat similar technical midfielders in the past 10-15 years who aren't the most physical and they've tended to not live upto expectations.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I always used to read that he’s too slow.

Schnappo

I'd be very concerned if we didn't get De Jong (or an alternative if we can't sign him). I'm all for Zidane, Hannibal and Savage getting minutes here and there but it's a big step up and consistency can be an issue for players trying to break into the team. Undoubtedly talented lads but I think we need one experienced signing in the midfield at the very least.

Chairman Steve

He looks exciting I must say. I want to keep him and say how he fares in some Europa games and League Cup games. Probably too much to throw him into the high pressure Premier League games.

And it’s weird how South Asians have never really broken into football. It says a lot when Michael Chopra is the biggest one and Hamza Choudhury is the only notable active one in the Premier League. Obviously cricket is a religion for that part of the world but I imagine as the years have gone on, there’s bound to be some that went into football over cricket, as they lived and grew up in England.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Honestly, I reckon the championship is a better level than Eredivisie
Probably depends on what you want them to develop. If you want them to get used to physical English football, sure. If you want them to develop tactically, technique, then definitely not.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really? Even at PSV / Ajax? Wouldn't they develop better technically and tactically?
Clubs like PSV and Ajax play in Europa/CL. They’re too big to improve other clubs youth kids on loan when they can just use their own. It’s further down the table you’d be looking to get loans to.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Love what he says about himself and Savage coming up together, imagine the pair of them establishing themselves in the first team?

Bwuk

I really like what I’ve seen of him.

His touch and close control is fantastic.

CallyRed

Love what he says about himself and Savage coming up together, imagine the pair of them establishing themselves in the first team?
Really hope that can happen. I have been so impressed with both him and Savage. They seem so calm and composed, it's so refreshing to see.

It would be an incredible achievement if they both make it into the first team and then establish themselves.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Totally impressive pre-season. I hope he'll be on loan soon. He's just too good to sit on the bench 90% of the season at this stage.

Walters_19_MuFc

Modric vibes. Love the way he moves and manipulates the ball. His strength and pirouette was a joy to watch.

Only point I'd raise is that I'd just like to see him use that longer pass more often. There were a few occasions yesterday where he could have switched it out to the left, which would have created a 1v1, but i felt he and Savage compliment each other, as Savage is more of a long passer.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Probably won't make sense for a lot of people. But as a British Asian, it makes us very proud. We love football like everyone else, amateur football is full of us playing. But we have never seen one our own make it and it'sa bit disheartening. If he does make it, will be massive for us.
I remember playing 7-a-side football and the British Asian guys were always great technically, just don't think they see it as a viable career due to parental pressure which obviously translates into the low numbers dedicating their efforts into football.

Hopefully Iqbal makes it as it could be a trailblazer for many British Asian guys to pursue it, the more diversity in football the better.

Obviously this is the opinion of someone not from that background, what would you say is the main factor why you're not represented more?

We need an rvn

First interview I've heard so can only base my views on that, but he sounds very grounded and knows it's a long road ahead and willing to work for it. Good to hear him understanding what the manager is expecting of him as well, so clear directions from ETH

sifi36

Obviously this is the opinion of someone not from that background, what would you say is the main factor why you're not represented more?
- Not seen as a viable career by parents due to the incredibly low number of youth players that become professionals
- Racism. My little brother was better technically than anyone I’ve seen as a kid. He played 5 and 7 aside against kids twice his size from the age of 11 onward, whilst looking totally comfortable. Whenever we tried to get him a spot at a club in East Lancashire, the call would go cold as soon as I mentioned his obviously Pakistani name. The one time he did get a game somewhere, they stuck him at right back when he was a forward.
- Less of an issue now that we’re onto second and third generations, but the diet isn’t really conducive to an athletic physique.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
- Not seen as a viable career by parents due to the incredibly low number of youth players that become professionals
- Racism. My little brother was better technically than anyone I’ve seen as a kid. He played 5 and 7 aside against kids twice his size from the age of 11 onward, whilst looking totally comfortable. Whenever we tried to get him a spot at a club in East Lancashire, the call would go cold as soon as I mentioned his obviously Pakistani name. The one time he did get a game somewhere, they stuck him at right back when he was a forward.
- Less of an issue now that we’re onto second and third generations, but the diet isn’t really conducive to an athletic physique.
Yeah, three of the things I'd have guessed, though the typical caucasian diet is horrendous so that would probably be the lowest thing to overcome for the British Asian would-be footballers, hopefully the first two will be less of a factor soon.

Would be great for Iqbal to make it on that point alone, make the sport seem viable.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I remember playing 7-a-side football and the British Asian guys were always great technically, just don't think they see it as a viable career due to parental pressure which obviously translates into the low numbers dedicating their efforts into football.

Hopefully Iqbal makes it as it could be a trailblazer for many British Asian guys to pursue it, the more diversity in football the better.

Probably a whole host of issues:

Parental support although I think that's less of an issue as we're 3rd and 4th generation now.

Racism. Everyone knows Asians can't play football is the stereotype. And like anything if it is said enough it becomes true. Maybe we need a few to make it big to break the stereotype.

Like you mention while being technically gifted footballers, I don't think we're that naturally athletically gifted. Again I think that's changing slowly as we go through the generations. My nephews are all much taller and athletic than previous generations. Maybe better diets and change in climate means our genetics are adapting.

I think getting our first few players making it big will be huge because it finally shows there is a path. Because for us it really is the impossible dream, a dream that's even further away than for every other boy in the country.

Trophy Room

Probably a whole host of issues:

Parental support although I think that's less of an issue as we're 3rd and 4th generation now.

Racism. Everyone knows Asians can't play football is the stereotype. And like anything if it is said enough it becomes true. Maybe we need a few to make it big to break the stereotype.

Like you mention while being technically gifted footballers, I don't think we're that naturally athletically gifted. Again I think that's changing slowly as we go through the generations. My nephews are all much taller and athletic than previous generations. Maybe better diets and change in climate means our genetics are adapting.

I think getting our first few players making it big will be huge because it finally shows there is a path. Because for us it really is the impossible dream, a dream that's even further away than for every other boy in the country.
Don't think football was invented based on genetic traits.

Status
Not open for further replies.