Zidane Iqbal

Mickson

What type of player is he in terms or similarity?
I can't say that any player comes to mind right now. Iqbal is a 10 that is very technically gifted, he can do things with the ball that probably only Gomes could in the academy in the last few years. However, he has played a lot more like an 8 this season where he has shown some grit in midfield. His weakness is that he is rather slow and not particularly strong, his weaknesses are purely physical. One thing I've noticed is how good he is at running into the box and finishing though - both inside and a little bit outside the box. If I would put my money on something, it is that he won't make it but purely due to the physicality. IMO you need to be a fantastic passer of the ball (a Kroos and Scholes like CM) if you don't are very quick or rather strong. I think he would be a terrific futsal player if you know what I mean. Maybe Magnus Eikrem would be a decent comparison now when I think about it if you remember him or followed him then.

RedDevilQuebecois

Good to see Mancunians of Pakistani and Kurd origin play for United.
I also hope it can start opening doors to more British kids of Asian descent. I watched Adam McKola's post-match reaction on Wednesday and then went back to that COPA90 video that he recorded a couple of years ago. You can see how much it means to Adam just to see Zidane Iqbal climbing up through the Academy and then into the first team FOR Manchester United.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I can't say that any player comes to mind right now. Iqbal is a 10 that is very technically gifted, he can do things with the ball that probably only Gomes could in the academy in the last few years. However, he has played a lot more like an 8 this season where he has shown some grit in midfield. His weakness is that he is rather slow and not particularly strong, his weaknesses are purely physical. One thing I've noticed is how good he is at running into the box and finishing though - both inside and a little bit outside the box. If I would put my money on something, it is that he won't make it but purely due to the physicality. IMO you need to be a fantastic passer of the ball (a Kroos and Scholes like CM) if you don't are very quick or rather strong. I think he would be a terrific futsal player if you know what I mean. Maybe Magnus Eikrem would be a decent comparison now when I think about it if you remember him or followed him then.
Isn't his Dad a futsal coach? - or at least Iqbal did play Futsal at some point a few years back.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Never really rated Eikrem. This guy not got some similarities to Ravel? Looks that way on YouTube, for whatever that is worth. Coming through the youth teams he's always looked skillful, seen a few highlights posted on here and elsewhere over the years.

pascell

He'll naturally fill out when he gets older, look at Greenwood, he's handling the physical side well. Bruno isn't the most physically gifted players but I know what you mean with the Kroos/Modric example, they need to have the technical skills to make them a level above.

It'll be interesting to see how we handle these young players and who goes on loan in January.

Mickson

Isn't his Dad a futsal coach? - or at least Iqbal did play Futsal at some point a few years back.
Dunno.

Never really rated Eikrem. This guy not got some similarities to Ravel? Looks that way on YouTube, for whatever that is worth. Coming through the youth teams he's always looked skillful, seen a few highlights posted on here and elsewhere over the years.
Ravel always had that extra yard of pace and great balance. Iqbal doesn't have that.

He'll naturally fill out when he gets older, look at Greenwood, he's handling the physical side well. Bruno isn't the most physically gifted players but I know what you mean with the Kroos/Modric example, they need to have the technical skills to make them a level above.

It'll be interesting to see how we handle these young players and who goes on loan in January.
Greenwood was always bigger, quicker, faster and stronger than Iqbal. But yeah, of course he will fill out to some extent. Whether it will be enough, I'm not sure.

meamth

Love flair players.

He just need to focus and discipline himself to build his physical side of the game.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Morrocans are Arab aren't they?
Split between Arabs and Amazigh (Berbers).

(edit): above makes it seem like a clear division. In reality these identities are quite fluid.

Loopy

Excited to see young Zidane coining through, such an entertaining player to watch.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
poor bastard. he has to play in a right shithole. he wakes up to the sound of gun fire. he’s surrounded by desolation, starving children, underfunded public services. everywhere he looks he sees glum, ashen faces of people with no hope for their future. on top of that he’s playing for a team that’s hated by many because they’re rich. they’re in the same region as another team hated by pretty much everyone else as they are richer. then it’s iraq v iran when he’s called up to international duty. poor bastard.

manutddjw

poor bastard. he has to play in a right shithole. he wakes up to the sound of gun fire. he’s surrounded by desolation, starving children, underfunded public services. everywhere he looks he sees glum, ashen faces of people with no hope for their future. on top of that he’s playing for a team that’s hated by many because they’re rich. they’re in the same region as another team hated by pretty much everyone else as they are richer. then it’s iraq v iran when he’s called up to international duty. poor bastard.
That’s why a World Cup every 2 years will stop situations like this - Infantino

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Congrats, couldn't do much aside from a few crosses but not his fault really as Iraq were out of the game by that point. Anyway always great to cherish the moment you make your debut for the nt so has to pretty happy right now.

fitzmertz

Zidane Iqbal becomes the 134th Manchester United youth player to make his international debut.

One of the youngest too at 18 years, 9 months old.
He is the 32nd current United player that is a full international, might be 33 later tonight if Pellestri takes part for Uruguay.

Giggsyking

Proud moment for him, Iraqis were very disappointed with the manager he did not start him! But Zidan will be soon playing for the Iraqi nt in Baghdad in front of 60k supporters which will do him wonders in terms of confidence.

Uniquim

Nice article about him in the Athletic today.
"Zidane Iqbal: A full international and a role model for British-born South Asians at 18" -- The Athletic

I've bulleted some parts of the article for those who doesn't have a subscription
* Call from Dick Advocaat made him declare for Iraq. He rang Iqbal's father saying “I know all about your son and I’d like to get him involved, I respect your position with other countries and we will not cap him unless you agree, but we want to get him around training with the senior team.”
* Could have represented England, and Pakistan, but the direct approach swayed him, even if he was capped after Advocaat left.
* At United since the age of nine, him and Charlie Savage (also debuted), waited 45 minutes after the game to express their gratitude directly to Rangnick. The pair hovered outside Rangnick’s office as the United manager conducted post-match media duties.
* Iqbal is the subject of more media requests than any other player in United’s youth system and the club decided to deal with the interest from dozens of Pakistani and Iraqi broadcasters by conducting an in-house sit-down and syndicating it.
* Likely to go on loan next season, possibly in January, depending on progress. There's already interest from the Middle East, and he's turned down at least on lucrative offer to focus on developing close to home.
* He has been a key member of the Professional Footballers’ Association’s Asian Inclusion Mentoring Scheme (AIMS)
* Through AIMS, he has offered advice to other young players on how to balanced faith - he is a practicing muslim - and football.
* PFA's Riz Rehman on Iqbal: “At our event in June, Zidane was the first one there and even the basic drills, he set the standard. He went around speaking to all the kids, the parents, taking pictures, staying right to the end. The family have kept his feet firmly on the ground. That is humbling to see.”

Neil Wood, the U23 manager also commented on his progress. After he equalised and helped turned the tide against Atalanta in the Youth League, he said:
“Zee did well again, His goal to get us back into it was out of nothing; great strike. He is slowly building confidence, getting used to the level. He is a nice, technical player, but there are different aspects to improve as well.”

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Nice article about him in the Athletic today.
"Zidane Iqbal: A full international and a role model for British-born South Asians at 18" -- The Athletic

I've bulleted some parts of the article for those who doesn't have a subscription
* Call from Dick Advocaat made him declare for Iraq. He rang Iqbal's father saying “I know all about your son and I’d like to get him involved, I respect your position with other countries and we will not cap him unless you agree, but we want to get him around training with the senior team.”
* Could have represented England, and Pakistan, but the direct approach swayed him, even if he was capped after Advocaat left.
* At United since the age of nine, him and Charlie Savage (also debuted), waited 45 minutes after the game to express their gratitude directly to Rangnick. The pair hovered outside Rangnick’s office as the United manager conducted post-match media duties.
* Iqbal is the subject of more media requests than any other player in United’s youth system and the club decided to deal with the interest from dozens of Pakistani and Iraqi broadcasters by conducting an in-house sit-down and syndicating it.
* Likely to go on loan next season, possibly in January, depending on progress. There's already interest from the Middle East, and he's turned down at least on lucrative offer to focus on developing close to home.
* He has been a key member of the Professional Footballers’ Association’s Asian Inclusion Mentoring Scheme (AIMS)
* Through AIMS, he has offered advice to other young players on how to balanced faith - he is a practicing muslim - and football.
* PFA's Riz Rehman on Iqbal: “At our event in June, Zidane was the first one there and even the basic drills, he set the standard. He went around speaking to all the kids, the parents, taking pictures, staying right to the end. The family have kept his feet firmly on the ground. That is humbling to see.”

Neil Wood, the U23 manager also commented on his progress. After he equalised and helped turned the tide against Atalanta in the Youth League, he said:
“Zee did well again, His goal to get us back into it was out of nothing; great strike. He is slowly building confidence, getting used to the level. He is a nice, technical player, but there are different aspects to improve as well.”
Seems like a sweet kid, hopefully he doesn't stray of path and realizes his potential.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Its Sun so take it with a grain of salt but has interesting tidbit about Zidane and few others

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/19074773/erik-ten-hag-bans-man-utd-first-week/

Ten Hag plans to call on some of the brightest players from United’s academy to directly challenge established first-team players.

Some, including midfielder Zidane Iqbal, 19, who made his first-team debut against Young Boys in the Champions League last December, are understood to have already impressed him.

Argentinian winger Alejandro Garnacho, 18, who made two sub appearances last season, has also impressed, along with midfielder Hannibal Mejbri, 19.

The source explained: “A lot of the younger players have been in the training sessions, too.

He has been impressed with Ibqal and wonders why he has not featured more.

frix26

He had a training spell with PNE a few wks back. ? Loan opportunity

Sid234

So would I. It says Hannibal has also impressed and I don’t think he’s even back training yet after international duty:confused:
Yeah - you're right, hannibal was playing internationals for Tunisia and i havent seen him in any of the training vids.

There's a chance the article is taking a shot in the dark based on rumors that EtH has been impressed w young players, figured its best to name drop some established youngsters to make it seem more legit

ThanksBoss26

Yeah - you're right, hannibal was playing internationals for Tunisia and i havent seen him in any of the training vids.

There's a chance the article is taking a shot in the dark based on rumors that EtH has been impressed w young players, figured its best to name drop some established youngsters to make it seem more legit
I think so. I’ve no doubt there will be some younger players who have impressed.