Zidane Iqbal

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Why would Man Utd decide to give him a contract based on his race? Could you expand upon your reasoning?
isnt it obvious? there is no issue. I never seen the player, have you? Lets not create drama. they are either right or wrong. Thats it. If the player ends up United quality then great. His background is irrelevant. But when we signed dong people probably said the same thing.

Bertie Wooster

Why would Man Utd decide to give him a contract based on his race? Could you expand upon your reasoning?
Well, I didn't say that. I said he had strengths and weaknesses and I wasn't sure which way they'd go in terms of giving him a pro deal or not based on his performances. I then said that maybe the positive media attention / role model for a rare British Asian getting a pro deal may have tipped the balance.

I didn't suggest they've given him a contract based on his race. If he was a poor player, they'd never have given him a deal. I just said it might have been a factor, given that it would be a big thing for a British Asian to get a pro deal at United and if it was a 50-50 call based on ability, then maybe that would tip the balance?

Bertie Wooster

I think it's you that turned this into a race debate. I've highlighted your quote.
Nope.
My reference was in response to the very first link of this news. Samuel Luckhurst saying "Given how few British-Asian footballers there are, Zidane Iqbal's development will be of particular interest..." Also there's a link to a McKola video about "Man United's First British Asian". His race is a (positive) factor and being debated in plenty of places since the announcement. It's ludicrous to suggest all that has anything to do with my post.
Also... look at the first 4 pages of this thread. Long before today's news, or before I joined the site. His Asian heritage is the main theme in them.

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The trouble with quoting population statistics in terms of demanding an appropriate representation is that isn't there about 3% black population in England and Wales and 86% white?

If you're going to suggest going off population percentage when it suits the argument, and not the ability of individuals, then there'd be a lot less BAME players being selected than there are presently, not more.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that no teams, all the way down the pyramid, would give trials to the Asian players who, if they're as good as some claim, would then impress and work their way up the leagues as many players do. Or at least make waves at those levels for people to have heard of them and cite them as talented examples.

The idea that there's plenty of talented British Asians not even being given trials at any level, not just the top level, seems highly doubtful. If there's very talented players out there, looking for clubs, then some clubs at some level of the pyramid would give them a trial at some point. Or some would get trials in Scotland, Wales, Ireland, or other countries, and prove the English scouts wrong. The fact that just happening at all really does suggest there's a lot more to the lack of Asian players with Indian / Pakistan heritage than just these 'talented players denied by racism' claims.
It's important we make a distinction between the black players and the British Asian players here. The article that I posted, stated that according to scouts they spoke to, gave them reasons like a lack of physicality and the game of Cricket as being reasons as to why they (Asians) don't make it into the game.
So basically what's being pushed is perceptions of Asian players which don't hold up to the data presented by the group who undertook the research and collated the survey data which provides evidence to the contrary when it comes to 'Asians don't like contact sports'

And you also asked why Asians haven't made it into football from South Asia and you went onto cite South Korea and Japan as examples of countries who have produced players, if I'm not mistaken. The reason is very simple IMO. Countries like Pakistan and India are absolutely fanatical about the game of Cricket, and it's the biggest sport in the Indian subcontinent by some margin. So when a young kid is growing up in the Indian subcontinent, he dreams about being the next Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli or Wasim Akram who are legends in their respective sport in that part of the world.

But again we need to make a distinction between people living in the Indian Subcontinent and British Asians, who are born and bred in the UK.

Ekeke

He has talent, but his skills clips and his performances that I've seen at youth level were differing levels. From the clips of him doing skills he looks a top young player, but when I've watched him play games he didnt really stand out in midfield.

Bertie Wooster

It's important we make a distinction between the black players and the British Asian players here. The article that I posted, stated that according to scouts they spoke to, gave them reasons like a lack of physicality and the game of Cricket as being reasons as to why they (Asians) don't make it into the game.
So basically what's being pushed is perceptions of Asian players which don't hold up to the data presented by the group who undertook the research and collated the survey data which provides evidence to the contrary when it comes to 'Asians don't like contact sports'

And you also asked why Asians haven't made it into football from South Asia and you went onto cite South Korea and Japan as examples of countries who have produced players, if I'm not mistaken. The reason is very simple IMO. Countries like Pakistan and India are absolutely fanatical about the game of Cricket, and it's the biggest sport in the Indian subcontinent by some margin. So when a young kid is growing up in the Indian subcontinent, he dreams about being the next Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli or Wasim Akram who are legends in their respective sport in that part of the world.

But again we need to make a distinction between people living in the Indian Subcontinent and British Asians, who are born and bred in the UK.
Yep, all fair points. As far as they go.

You didn't address my point though about, if there's really some very talented British Asian footballers over here, all looking to get into the game, do you really believe that there's no clubs, at any level of the pyramid, prepared to give them trials / sign them? Which has to be the case if they're really that good, otherwise they'd work their work up the levels or at least make their mark at the low level and someone would be able to name them as an example of a quality player stuck at a low level because bigger clubs 'don't trust Asians' (no such examples being given).

If the point was that British Asians aren't yet trusted at the top academies and have to start lower and work harder to make their name, I could believe it more. But the idea that there's plenty of talented Asian players that every club at every level refuse to sign at all is highly unlikely.

If there were as many very talented British Asian players as being suggested all trying to get deals in Football, then there'd be a lot more being signed by clubs at some levels and being given the chance to show their ability. There's no way plenty of hugely talented players, who could be PL standard, are being deliberately ignored by every single club all the way down the pyramid.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Id like to see this lad progress. Looks like he has some raw talent. On another note... the way this thread has gone off topic... gotta love the Caf :lol:

Bertie Wooster

Id like to see this lad progress. Looks like he has some raw talent. On another note... the way this thread has gone off topic... gotta love the Caf :lol:
It's not really 'gone' off topic.
In the first 4 pages, dating from December 2019 up to today's announcement, the main theme was his Asian heritage and the representation of Asian players.

And, unlike all the other new academy contracts, much of the news when you Google it focuses on his race and the British Asian factor. He hasn't played / done much so far even at academy level, so the 'British Asian at Man United', and his unusual name, is the main things that have mostly been discussed about him throughout the thread so far.

I'm sure if he plays more next season, and performs well, then it'll be his performances that are rightly discussed more.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yep, all fair points. As far as they go.

You didn't address my point though about, if there's really some very talented British Asian footballers over here, all looking to get into the game, do you really believe that there's no clubs, at any level of the pyramid, prepared to give them trials / sign them? Which has to be the case if they're really that good, otherwise they'd work their work up the levels or at least make their mark at the low level and someone would be able to name them as an example of a quality player stuck at a low level because bigger clubs 'don't trust Asians' (no such examples being given).

If the point was that British Asians aren't yet trusted at the top academies and have to start lower and work harder to make their name, I could believe it more. But the idea that there's plenty of talented Asian players that every club at every level refuse to sign at all is highly unlikely.

If there were as many very talented British Asian players as being suggested all trying to get deals in Football, then there'd be a lot more being signed by clubs at some levels and being given the chance to show their ability. There's no way plenty of hugely talented players, who could be PL standard, are being deliberately ignored by every single club all the way down the pyramid.
I think there's a number of reasons. And one of the reasons reported in the past was that many clubs instructed their scouts, not to scout players from the South Asian community. And some of the reasons given were what I shared in my previous post.

Then you also have the parents who are apprehensive when it comes to committing themselves towards a football career for their son, over a academic one. Which is understandable due to South Asians not particularly being represented in the game. So what seems to have happened, is that a divide has developed between both sides due to perceptions.

The only way I can see things improving is if someone like Zidane Iqbal comes through and establishes himself at Premier League level. And that could be at United or elsewhere in the league. And as far as the clubs are concerned, they want the best talent regardless of the players ethnic background. So having a British Asian player succeed at Premier League level, would make him a reference point for the Asian community and would help break down barriers and also change perceptions amongst some British clubs.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
That's mad :lol:
It was nuts :lol:

Now the "agent" is back to teaching kids P.E. and the poor guy that was originally offered the try out is working at EE.

I agree.

Paranoia also comes into it and kids/parents do become disillusioned regarding the long term prospects due to past experiences. But what they need is someone to break through and establish themselves at Premier League level, which would then break barriers and pave the way for other young hopefuls to do the same.
My cousin is married into the Hamza Choudhury family. He can be the breakthrough we need. Although he isn't full Asian...

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Based on what I've seen watching him over the last few seasons he is a very talented footballer with an eye for goal. He's not phased by the physical side of the game either.

He has been out injured for some time but I would have expected him to be a key member of our U/18 squad and play in the FA Youth Cup.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that his professional contract had anything to do with his race, religion or background.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
McKola's already been mentioned in this thread, but I feel this is a more pertinent video for people still on the fence as to whether British Asians have gotten a comparatively rough deal when it comes to football scouting...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think there's a number of reasons. And one of the reasons reported in the past was that many clubs instructed their scouts, not to scout players from the South Asian community. And some of the reasons given were what I shared in my previous post.

Then you also have the parents who are apprehensive when it comes to committing themselves towards a football career for their son, over a academic one. Which is understandable due to South Asians not particularly being represented in the game. So what seems to have happened, is that a divide has developed between both sides due to perceptions.

The only way I can see things improving is if someone like Zidane Iqbal comes through and establishes himself at Premier League level. And that could be at United or elsewhere in the league. And as far as the clubs are concerned, they want the best talent regardless of the players ethnic background. So having a British Asian player succeed at Premier League level, would make him a reference point for the Asian community and would help break down barriers and also change perceptions amongst some British clubs.
Soccernomics addresses this, throughout time it's always the case that biases' only really move on until a team can gain an advantage for it. As soon as teams realise British Asian players are an untapped pot of talent and there are a few success stories, clubs will begin to target overlooked British Asian players. That can start from academies with less money, who get their best players poached from the bigger clubs, to actually getting better value in transfers because clubs undervalue the British Asian players they do have.

Thiagoal

Was really impressed with him last night. He’s always going to be technically great and have amazing moments of skill, but his all round game is what impressed me the most- he didn’t over play and showed great decision making.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
That's fantastic, thanks. Hope he makes it big and inspire more kids of the region.
Rather he inspires our own British kids from the same background. Teaching loads of British Asian and some with Middle Eastern or North African heritage who love their football it would be great to see him make it … at Utd of course

Demaw

Lovely player but don't think he can go much further. Reminds me of Garner, Levitt etc, just not fast enough to make a big difference. Technically very good though and will have a good pro career in the game.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Lovely player but don't think he can go much further. Reminds me of Garner, Levitt etc, just not fast enough to make a big difference. Technically very good though and will have a good pro career in the game.
Is pace really that important for a player like him who looks to come in centrally ?

meamth

Very different players.

Iqbal is very reliant in flair set of skills. He can try to be another Bruno-like midfielder.

Demaw

Hi Adnan, I know you watch lots of youth games as well, it's a tough one as Scholesy wasn't a flyer so hear your point. I just think that movement is critical today and when you think of McFred, Fred just runs all day and McTominay does both, with more ball playing skill. As I weigh up Zidane I don't see either trait in outstanding fashion in him. Compared to Hansen, there is also a difference in talent. I think that's why Garner, Levitt etc that are quite slow just don't seem to make it with teams like us.
Angel Gomes as you remember was amazing but never had that zip that was needed. I read this the other day with Lille: Gomes is yet to complete the full 90 minutes in any of the games he has started, or register a goal or an assist as of yet. And what a star was Angel compared to Zidane. You remember him absolutely bossing 18's.
Adnan, love to be proven wrong and see him in our firsts. Seen an interview of him and a real lovely and dedicated kid.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hi Adnan, I know you watch lots of youth games as well, it's a tough one as Scholesy wasn't a flyer so hear your point. I just think that movement is critical today and when you think of McFred, Fred just runs all day and McTominay does both, with more ball playing skill. As I weigh up Zidane I don't see either trait in outstanding fashion in him. Compared to Hansen, there is also a difference in talent. I think that's why Garner, Levitt etc that are quite slow just don't seem to make it with teams like us.
Angel Gomes as you remember was amazing but never had that zip that was needed. I read this the other day with Lille: Gomes is yet to complete the full 90 minutes in any of the games he has started, or register a goal or an assist as of yet. And what a star was Angel compared to Zidane. You remember him absolutely bossing 18's.
Adnan, love to be proven wrong and see him in our firsts. Seen an interview of him and a real lovely and dedicated kid.
I was just curious to hear your thoughts mate. Also welcome aboard and hope to see you contributing regularly in the youth forum.

Last edited:

Zlatattack

Surely that's something youngsters can work on? Like training to do 20m 100m 200m sprints?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Surely that's something youngsters can work on? Like training to do 20m 100m 200m sprints?
Yes you can work on speed drills to increase pace up to a certain point until that person reaches a plateau.

There are also players with slow and fast twitch muscles that impact speed in terms of short and long distance.

Players do this in training all the time. They also do distance running to increase Vo2.

I think Scott McTominay was clocked at around 15 mins for a 5k recently which is exceptionally quick. Yet, he isn't the fasted player at the club. Elanga and others can do 100m in a crazy time but can't beat McTominay at 5k distance.

Every player is different and when you lack speed, particularly in midfield, you compensate with technical and positional play.

Oranges038

Looks decent, be interesting to see if can cope physically in a year or two.

Fecking Paul McShane in there too, totally forgot he was there.

Bertie Wooster

He's got good technique, footwork and passing ability.

As a CM, he lacks pace and doesn't seem to offer much defensively. As an AM / #10, I'd like to see him look to dominate games more and contribute more assists.

But he's good on the ball, especially when he's given time and space on it, and spreads the ball about nicely. And links up well in attacks. He definitely has something about him as a technical, ball playing midfielder and it'll be interesting to see how much he improves over the next couple of years.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Reminds me of Gedion Zelalem after watching him these past couple of years. A passenger when it comes to the game in general despite looking technically brilliant on the ball. The main thing he has going for him - like Zelalem - is that he's press resistant, and loves to do a 180/360 turn. Though not as much as Zelalem did as he used to do about 10 a game!