Zidane sack watch - 19/20

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Actually he is quite ignored.
If you see tweets, articles, nostalgic videos of that era, it is very often "la quinta del Buitre"(Butragueño,Michel,...)and Hugo Sánchez but not the coach.
They played very well and dominated but had two moments of very bad memory, which I think are the ones that survive the most: the beating of Milan 5-0 and the league they lost in Tenerife.
Ha, poor guy. :-) thanks!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Agreed with all of this - I suspect that the difference may lie in managers that are tactically flexible vs. those who are more dogmatic. Personally I associate Real Madrid, Milan, and Liverpool with a greater degree of tactical flexibility and as being generally less wedded to a particular style of play.
Arrigo Sacchi created the myth of milan's europen invincibility and he was one of the most dogmatic managers ever

It's not about tactical flexibility at all. I think it's about history more than anything. Each of those 3 clubs dominated european football at one of point in their history to such a degree it created a myth of invincibility. Of inevitable success. Which the clubs then believed and it became part of them. When you're at one of those clubs the expectation within the club is that winning the CL is almost a foregone conclusion, like a sort of divine right. Hard to doubt yourself where at every level within and without the club all you hear is "you're gonna win the CL", no matter the situation

I do think playing style might have a lot to do with barcelona's relative struggles though, because their myth was built on that rather than on the jersey. So they need to play well in their style to have that kind of confidence

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ha, poor guy. :-) thanks!
Well, it's nothing about it him really. Real Madrid historically glorifies presidents and players, very rarely managers. Muñoz also gets ignored a lot for example. Del Bosque was ignored in his time, too, it's only because of what happened after he left that he's remembered, and even so, it's mostly the galacticos and Florentino that people focus on from that period

With Zidane it's different because he was a legend as a player first :D plus things are different now, there's a lot more focus on managers than in the past as it's become clear that managers have a huge impact on a club's success. And Zidane has the CV to back that up now, too

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Arrigo Sacchi created the myth of milan's europen invincibility and he was one of the most dogmatic managers ever

It's not about tactical flexibility at all. I think it's about history more than anything. Each of those 3 clubs dominated european football at one of point in their history to such a degree it created a myth of invincibility. Of inevitable success. Which the clubs then believed and it became part of them. When you're at one of those clubs the expectation within the club is that winning the CL is almost a foregone conclusion, like a sort of divine right. Hard to doubt yourself where at every level within and without the club all you hear is "you're gonna win the CL", no matter the situation

I do think playing style might have a lot to do with barcelona's relative struggles though, because their myth was built on that rather than on the jersey. So they need to play well in their style to have that kind of confidence
I remember Fabio Capello telling the story of how when he went to manage Real for the first time in 1996 everybody at the club (even the driver) was saying to him "Welcome to the best club in the world" This is the level of mentality we are talking about there.

I absolutely agree that Barcelona's confidence depends of how good they play their own style. This is the Cruyff legacy cemented by Guardiola there so at least for the forseeable future that will continue to be the standart they need to follow and maintain if they want to remain a top club.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
He's not even the best coach in Madrid.
The funny thing is everyone was thinking about Simeone, but Bordalas himself is a hell of a coach too. One of my favorites easily.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The funny thing is everyone was thinking about Simeone, but Bordalas himself is a hell of a coach too. One of my favorites easily.
That's true, Getafe have been very good and tactically sound without really having a standout player.

Cal?

CR7 fan
So Zidane still hasn't ever lots a CL tie, can he turn it round against City?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I remember Fabio Capello telling the story of how when he went to manage Real for the first time in 1996 everybody at the club (even the driver) was saying to him "Welcome to the best club in the world" This is the level of mentality we are talking about there.

I absolutely agree that Barcelona's confidence depends of how good they play their own style. This is the Cruyff legacy cemented by Guardiola there so at least for the forseeable future that will continue to be the standart they need to follow and maintain if they want to remain a top club.
I disagree with this.

When it comes to Europe/CL and general KO rounds one of the biggest deciding factors is the individual quality of the players, RM in the history of football has boosted some of the best in the world and they manage to get them surrounded with some of the best supporting cast. di Stefano has Puskas, Gento, etc they went on to win 5 European Cups, Zidane had Roberto Carlos, Figo, Raul, etc won 2 CL and CR7 with Kroos, Modric, Ramos, Marcelo, etc. won 4 CL titles. Even Barcelona from 2006-2015 They won 4 CL titles and 2 historical trebles, while they've boosted Messi, Dinho, Etoo, Henry, Xavi, Iniesta, Toure, Puyol, Villa etc. Milan have many European Cups/CL with Maldini, Van Basteen, Rijkaard, Kaka, Pirlo, Nesta, Cafu, Shevchenko, etc all have around 5 European Cups/CL between them.

If you look at United and Juve as an example legging behind them, they've never really boosted this level of individual quality. In KO rounds lacking individual quality is more punishing as there will come time you need that brilliance from your player, no tactic, philosophy etc will bail you out.

Rather you go to United, Barcelona, Juve, Bayern Munich etc they all know/think they're best in the world and boost that mentality.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It was understandable to have reservations before I think. Incredible achievement, but you could say he used pre assembled squad and acted as a motivator with the best "clutch"player of all time in Ronaldo and won the 3 CL in a row.

Coming back in to an old and demotivated side, without Ronaldo, players declining and just freshening it up a bit and then being as successful as they've been this season is huge. Especially with how Hazard hasn't done anything this year. Its probably the most impressive year of his young managerial career, showing his versatility tactically and adaptability. Have no doubt that he'd be successful anywhere.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Completely forgot about Hazard.
How's he been since his transfer to Madrid ?

Schneckerl

Completely forgot about Hazard.
How's he been since his transfer to Madrid ?
Either injured or if he played, he was more influential than his (awful) goal/assist numbers would indicate. But that's a rather low benchmark for a €100M player.

RoyH1

He might be upset that Madrid will not be active in the transfer market due to the pandemic, but I doubt that he’ll leave like this.

Chairman Steve

If I was a club manager, I'd be fecking over the moon my players don't play internationally from a purely selfish perspective. Don't want some clumsy oaf international manager fecking up my players.

United Junkie

Well, most of us know Deschamps motives are racial. They can't have another Algerian 'God' saving France's prestige again. Last WC win was meaningless too most French. They were no millions of people at the champs elysees celebrating like in '98. That was different. That was like heaven.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Only a few points off the 1st spot now aren't they? And negotiated tricky tie v Atalanta fairly comfortably in the end.

Interested how they'll get on v Liverpool. Last season it would've been bad match up for them but I fancy them to score a couple v the weak back 4 Liverpool will put out.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Well, most of us know Deschamps motives are racial. They can't have another Algerian 'God' saving France's prestige again. Last WC win was meaningless too most French. They were no millions of people at the champs elysees celebrating like in '98. That was different. That was like heaven.
Does this make sense to anyone?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well this is quite the claim. Why is Ben Yedder in the side, then? Or is it just the Algerian’s Deschamps hates from North Africa? But Nabil Fekir made the 2018 squad. As did Adil Rami. And he’s alright with a large portion of the rest of the side having African descent?

That’s totally unquantifiable too. How can you even say that? :lol:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Does this make sense to anyone?
Yes.
Le Graet stated the French football federation received thousand of racist letters regarding Benzema in late 2015/early 2016

Furthermore politicians (including rightwing Lepen) were very vocal about how Benzema should never play for France again, you'd never hear them speak of players tax evading,beating up their wives or other more scandal that have risen up in the past few years though

When Deschamps didnt call Benzema up for euro 2016, the latter stated Deschamps had given him to a "racist part of France"

You can add to it that Benzema has always been a disliked public figure due to openly stating in 2007 that he picked France over Algeria due to sporting reasons. He was always scapegoated when something went wrong and a lot of people still associate the 2010 WC debacle to him even though he wasn't even called up to the competition

United Junkie

Yes.
Le Graet stated the French football federation received thousand of racist letters regarding Benzema in late 2015/early 2016

Furthermore politicians (including rightwing Lepen) were very vocal about how Benzema should never play for France again, you'd never hear them speak of players tax evading,beating up their wives or other more scandal that have risen up in the past few years though

When Deschamps didnt call Benzema up for euro 2016, the latter stated Deschamps had given him to a "racist part of France"

You can add to it that Benzema has always been a disliked public figure due to openly stating in 2007 that he picked France over Algeria due to sporting reasons. He was always scapegoated when something went wrong and a lot of people still associate the 2010 WC debacle to him even though he wasn't even called up to the competition
Thank you for stating this out my friend. The Englishmen on this site think they know everything. They think racism is only against black people. They dont even realize that racism in France is much more significant against North Africans - in particular - Algerians. That's why I dont take the Englishman's opinion on these matters all that seriously. They always think they know better. But they know squat really.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
That is the biggest load of shite i've ever read. Looked twice for white text. Of course 98 was bigger but to say this one was meaningless is just dumb and not true.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Interested how they'll get on v Liverpool. Last season it would've been bad match up for them but I fancy them to score a couple v the weak back 4 Liverpool will put out.
I think they can beat us despite being in trash form and I'd rather had us play vs City who are non existent in the UCL.

midnightmare

https://www.espn.com/soccer/real-ma...-france-exclusion-its-better-he-stays-with-us

Absolute filth, Zidane continues to drop in my eyes like Giggs has.
So you’re one of the “guilty till proven innocent” people? Zidane has done nothing that he can be criticized for. Not in this matter at least.

I think they can beat us despite being in trash form and I'd rather had us play vs City who are non existent in the UCL.
Hmmm. I back Los Blancos to win this. Frankly, I’d not want to take on City over two legs in current form. Prefer it to be a final. This version of City this season has focused on defense and on current form and with Carvajal and Ramos both fit and available by that time, I’d back Zidane to best Pep in a Cup final. Not half as confident over two legs, specially given Dani would (best case) just about be back in time for the QF. With Dani and Ramos firing and on form, I’d bet on #14.

Idxomer

It's weird to say this considering his achievements but his managerial and coaching abilities have been underrated.

He's a winner and someone who very rarely fails in whatever he does.

el3mel

I have always been sceptical about him, but imo this second Real Madrid stint without having Ronaldo proved he's really a great manager.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Just had a look at barcaforum. They are finally starting to recognise him as an elite manager.:lol: His next job will be Juventus imo but may be not this summer but next..

Last edited:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

If he wins the Champions League this year too should he be considered one of the elite legendary managers? That will 13 trophies of which 4 champions leagues without playing negative football.
If he wins the CL he becomes the first manager to ever win 4 CLs and he'd have done it in only 5 tries, "elite" would be an understatement I feel.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Just seems made for Madrid. It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on outside of that environment.

Pretty good chance they’ll get to another final as well this year in the CL.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Just seems made for Madrid. It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on outside of that environment.

Pretty good chance they’ll get to another final as well this year in the CL.
Think if we go through against you and beat getafe we'll do the double

We're literally in pieces though so we'll probably go out on wednesday and lose to getafe....

RUCK4444

I’m gutted BT dropped La Liga coverage, I would have liked to have seen this stint of his without Ronaldo.

If he wins another CL then fair fecks to him, got to tip your hat to that.

Also the spine of that team needs major recognition as one of THE best in CL history if they win another (they should be anyway.)

Ramos, Modric, Kroos, Benzema (Ronaldo) - is a spine of pure feckin gold. They won’t replace it to the same level.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
If he wins the CL he becomes the first manager to ever win 4 CLs and he'd have done it in only 5 tries, "elite" would be an understatement I feel.
Agreed. What an achievement that would be. I don’t think they’ll manage it (squad maybe not deep enough, especially with the injuries) but I wouldn’t put it past them. That team is full of winners.