Zidane sack watch - 19/20

JoaquinJoaquin

Off to a great start, Hammered by Atlético and in a verbal tussle with Bale and his agent. Think Real Madrid may be in for another long season.

DoomSlayer

Hammered is an understatement. Could have been 9 or 10 to 1 at one point in the game, but big misses and some crazy saves by Navas in the 2nd half saved Real from an unseen humiliation.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Outrageous the way he and the club have treated Bale, for that alone, I hope they have a crap season.

el3mel

He's not going to replicate the same success without Ronaldo but it was a preseason game first and foremost. People need to calm down I guess.

Based Adnan

Got carried and built up a decent manager reputation all on the back of a GOAT. Will get exposed without him. Won't last the season imo.

cyberman

If he was smart he could have followed the Pep club path and be considered one of the greats on titles alone.
Add in go to Juve, ex club nobody would have said anything, back to France to PSG and its logical for him.
When he fails in their CL run he can point to 3 in a row and kill that argument so domestic titles mean that bit more to his resume.
Pep was less successful and dkes the same thing. He's been a bystander in Europe for a few years now but is rarely brought up. Oh look, Peps 500m side just destroyed Crystal Palace..wow.
You could have had that ZZ!

JoaquinJoaquin

Everybody knew it was a dumb move heading back to Madrid.

Edit: When the feck did Trippier move to Atletico?!
About two weeks ago. I actually think he will fit in well at Atléti, even if he will be told to sit a bit deeper than usual.

Strats

He's been an absolute prick as stated before.

Such a shame since he's one of my all time favourites, borderline no.1. Same with Scholes at times, I just wish they kept their mouths shut.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Will say it again and again and again. When you leave like that, it's never a good idea to return.

minh_loc_xoay

Have a feeling I should camp here. Might be in contention for one of the most entertaining threads in this upcoming season. :D

snowkarl

To be honest, Real Madrid had an insane team with players like Ronaldo, Ramos, Marcelo, Kroos, Modric and Benzema all in their prime and Zidane's tactics were always extremely underwhelming. In my humble opinion they only did so well because Zidane was able to control their egos and their own mentalities and ability won them the 3 cls.

Their inconsistent league performances were a tell of this.

Reactions: Jippy

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They’ll do better than last season since with Hazard they won’t lose as many points to the small teams. Very much doubt they win the league or Champions League though, Zidane’s second tenure has lasted long enough to understand that the lack of balance in the team won’t be solved without big changes in the squad.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
People forget he was nearly fired quite a few times in his first run as manager. I don't think he will go next season, but will he be their in 18 months? i'm not sure.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
He's not going to replicate the same success without Ronaldo but it was a preseason game first and foremost. People need to calm down I guess.
I'm a huge advocate of pre season generally being meaningless however no big derby is ever really meaningless. I think yesterday was a pretty good sign of where the Madrid sign is currently at and the signs have been there in all the pre season games. Their attack has no fluidity at all yet, which will come. However their defence is a disgrace and that issue isn't going to suddenly go away because the season starts. Casemiro coming in will help but they have big issues. Yesterday was a huge embarrassment for them. If they lost 7-3 to Inter or someone it wouldn't be so bad but in a derby it's an issue.

Modric and Kroos look a big issue for them, more so than replacing Ronaldo.

marktan

Hazard is not Ronaldo, I think they'll still struggle for goals.

Their midfield and defence aren't particularly great either, Modric and Kroos are ageing / have been out of form, and Marcelo's been poor defensively for a while.

All great teams decline, they've signed a lot of players but I'm not sure it'll really stem the decline. I'd have Barca for the league.

LoneStar

I don't think they'll win anything this season, and he'll be sacked at some point in the season.

Couldn't happen to a nicer club. Hope they fail miserably.

El Zoido

He’s a bellend and Madrid are a disgraceful club. They deserve each other and hope they fail miserably.

el3mel

I'm a huge advocate of pre season generally being meaningless however no big derby is ever really meaningless. I think yesterday was a pretty good sign of where the Madrid sign is currently at and the signs have been there in all the pre season games. Their attack has no fluidity at all yet, which will come. However their defence is a disgrace and that issue isn't going to suddenly go away because the season starts. Casemiro coming in will help but they have big issues. Yesterday was a huge embarrassment for them. If they lost 7-3 to Inter or someone it wouldn't be so bad but in a derby it's an issue.

Modric and Kroos look a big issue for them, more so than replacing Ronaldo.
Several years from now and no one will remember yesterday's game at all imo. It's a big loss, but it's for their luck it's a friendly and they still have a good time in the market to strengthen the team even more.

rotherham_red

They’ll do better than last season since with Hazard they won’t lose as many points to the small teams. Very much doubt they win the league or Champions League though, Zidane’s second tenure has lasted long enough to understand that the lack of balance in the team won’t be solved without big changes in the squad.
That was my initial thinking but Hazard isn't enough to be able to make a difference IMO. He's notoriously flakey and he's been known to take whole seasons off. I'd be worried if I was Zizou, that squad even after 300m spent is unbalanced. And if I was Perez, I'd be even more worried that Zidane thinks he only needs Pogba and his team is complete.

AshRK

Funny how people thought he will come to United and suddenly make us CL winners.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Will be funny when he's sacked mid-season for Mourinho.

LingiBW

I get to feel like he is too loyal to some players regardless of how they perform. Having a player like Marcelo who never looks interested in anything defence doesn't help. Adding to that, an aging Modric isn't going to make it easy. This could just be a pre-season blip or it could be a start of something that will have Zidane question why he choose to go back. They were not great last season with him in charge and i don't feel like he is a tactical genius to sort add a dimension to how his side plays.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
His UCL triumphs are overrated, they should've gone out in both years to Bayern and were heavily dependent on Ronaldo to bail them out. Big test of his tactical ability coming up.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
No Ronaldo = no trophies for Zizou.

I'm hoping for a Mourinho 2nd stint :D

lemmiwink

Greatest team on paper in the world with peak greatest of all time player Ronaldo fired RM to 3 CL titles under him. He has always been an utter bell end in my opinion and his second go at this job will likely be a disaster.

I hope he stays a full season as I do like complete meltdown-seasons.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
What would you like to see Madrid improve on? I think their back line and aging squad still need another 200 million spend revamp

LiquidSnake

To be honest, Real Madrid had an insane team with players like Ronaldo, Ramos, Marcelo, Kroos, Modric and Benzema all in their prime and Zidane's tactics were always extremely underwhelming. In my humble opinion they only did so well because Zidane was able to control their egos and their own mentalities and ability won them the 3 cls.

Their inconsistent league performances were a tell of this.
Zidane is basically Carlo Ancelotti 2.0. Great at managing egos and making stars buying into his philosophy... In itself it's one of the main area of coaching Real Madrid. On the tactical side I never were that greatly impressed by what he has shown too. His Madrid team in 2017 was a very good team, but 2016 half season and 2018 didn't impressed me much on a pure product on the pitch.

I'm still convinced 2016 Madrid winning the UCL is basically the "ugliest" winner IMHO.

His UCL triumphs are overrated, they should've gone out in both years to Bayern and were heavily dependent on Ronaldo to bail them out. Big test of his tactical ability coming up.
His UCL triumphs are overrated, I somewhat agree but also he did it 3 years in a row... Something that never been done, so he deserves credit. At the same time, I feel like as of today, if people were choosing between him, Klopp, Pocchettino and Guardiola, he would be the last guy chosen for a lot of people.

Also I didn't follow the whole Madrid/Bale/Zidane saga but it's funny as in UK it seems Zidane is a jerk while here in France, Bale is seen as some lazy unemployed guy who don't want to work :lol:

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Zidane is the joint best coach in the world alongside Pep and Klopp right now. This thread will be fun to read at the end of the season.

Tel074

He won them all the same so overrated is a ridiculous thing to say but I'm totally with you on Ronaldo . Without him none of it would have happened. I think he is a average manager who just happened to have one of the greats in his team.

Raven

Zidane is the joint best coach in the world alongside Pep and Klopp right now. This thread will be fun to read at the end of the season.
I respect his achievements, I still think he's a bit of an unknown quantity. This season will give us a bit more of a clue as to where he's at.