Zidane sack watch - 19/20

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
With all due respect to his CL wins, he would have been a disaster here. There would have been zero connection between him and the club and it would have turned sour quickly. I also think Zidane was dumb enough to go back to madrid at this time. He had more to lose to and less to gain and yet he went back there. Juve or PSG should have been his next destination. I very much doubt if either of those clubs would risk appointing him.
He was basically a free agent all year yet nobody seemed to have any strong interest him. He wouldn't have returned to Madrid if there was, in reality Madrid was the best job on the table after Flo flopped manager signings. He just doesn't have anything special in him from a manager perspective, no identity on style of play, no charisma, etc.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Joint top, won a very difficult away game and 4 points clear of Barca.

He'll live.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Big test for Zidane today against a very tough rival.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Aaaaaand after all is said and done, he's the undefeated co-leader of the Liga with 11 points.

He'll survive; for now, of course.
I focused so much on Barcelona that I totally missed that.:lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well the goals this season are the Copa and the EL, to complete the set. Then he's won everything as a manager :drool:

ArjenIsM3

15 in 7 isn't bad, but not great either considering the opponents he faced and the squad he has. On paper that squad is top 3 of the world. Right up there with City and Barcelona. But then you look at the performances and you wonder how long they're going to be first. The football hasn't been great and that's putting it mildly. If you look at where 15 in 7 puts you in the PL that's third place. But then the PL is a stronger league, so you wonder if he'd even have 15 in 7. Impossible to know of course but it makes you wonder. The performances and results in the CL have been bad too. To be honest, I can't see Real winning anything this year unless they massively improve.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
15 in 7 isn't bad, but not great either considering the opponents he faced and the squad he has. On paper that squad is top 3 of the world. Right up there with City and Barcelona. But then you look at the performances and you wonder how long they're going to be first. The football hasn't been great and that's putting it mildly. If you look at where 15 in 7 puts you in the PL that's third place. But then the PL is a stronger league, so you wonder if he'd even have 15 in 7. Impossible to know of course but it makes you wonder. The performances and results in the CL have been bad too. To be honest, I can't see Real winning anything this year unless they massively improve.
Did not concede a single shot on target in the last 3 games. 3 draws, one at villarreal and one away to atletico, which are fine results. The only really bad result was the home draw against valladolid

Still yeah, we've not been playing well. But also we've had like 10 fit players for a month and it barely October.

Now if we still look like this in two months time, then yeah, we're in trouble

ArjenIsM3

Did not concede a single shot on target in the last 3 games. 3 draws, one at villarreal and one away to atletico, which are fine results. The only really bad result was the home draw against valladolid

Still yeah, we've not been playing well. But also we've had like 10 fit players for a month and it barely October.

Those results are fine yes and you've been lucky with some others too like the Celta one but I just wonder how long this is going to last. The footy feels the same as in his last season where he won the CL but did bad in the league and that's definitely not a compliment. Hope I'm wrong and Zidane can improve things though as I loved him as a player.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Those results are fine yes and you've been lucky with some others too like the Celta one but I just wonder how long this is going to last. The footy feels the same as in his last season where he won the CL but did bad in the league and that's definitely not a compliment. Hope I'm wrong and Zidane can improve things though as I loved him as a player.
Eh. Lucky against Celta...we smashed them. Even down a man. The games we've won we thoroughly dominated, or at least controlled. We should have won against valladolid.

For some reason we can't seem to muster the same urgency and intensity for CL games...weirdly enough

We're not playing well but we've hardly been a disaster. It's just a matter of accepting it's not 2016 anymore, cristiano's gone and as a whole we're no longer an elite team, which is fine. Cycles end. We already weren't an elite team in anything but mentality in 17/18. Now if Zidane can get those cnuts to bunker down and start working and running their arses off we could still win the league and with luck even the CL is possible

It's a big IF

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Eh. Lucky against Celta...we smashed them. Even down a man. The games we've won we thoroughly dominated, or at least controlled. We should have won against valladolid.

For some reason we can't seem to muster the same urgency and intensity for CL games...weirdly enough

We're not playing well but we've hardly been a disaster. It's just a matter of accepting it's not 2016 anymore, cristiano's gone and as a whole we're no longer an elite team, which is fine. Cycles end. We already weren't an elite team in anything but mentality in 17/18. Now if Zidane can get those cnuts to bunker down and start working and running their arses off we could still win the league and with luck even the CL is possible

It's a big IF
Real Madrid have no chance of the CL this season. Zero

ArjenIsM3

It's a big IF
Might have a different game in mind then. Anyway, be interesting to see how the season pans out. Lucky for you you're a long way off from where we are right now :lol:

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It is a couple months later and good news! We look good! Maybe not great yet, but good! Like best in the league good!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Thank feck that instead of getting football legend like Zidane as manager who won 3 Cl's and 1 la liga in first 3 and only years of being a manager, we got Ole instead who relegated cardiff and won the norwegian league with Molde.

squiggle

Supports
Ligue 1, Arsenal
Real’s transformation has been a highlight in a generally uninteresting year for me. Zidane’s one hell of a leader.

He seems to combine calmness and intense passion to an unusual degree, like Bielsa mingled with Pellegrini.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
On the change of the team, I think that physical improvement must be taken into account, as has been said.
One of his most discussed decisions in recent months it was the midfield and his decisions about transfers:
Kroos is at an incredible level.
I think many of us had doubts about whether he was already "bored" of winning, and however he has returned being the old Kroos.
Modric is at a good level, just like Casemiro.
Valverde is skyrocketing. Madrid could not sign Pogba and the club told him to bet on Valverde, or he said "do not sign anyone, I prefer Valverde". One way or another It has been a great success.
- His signings, Mendy and Hazard at the moment very well.Hazard every day is more connected and Mendy has not disappointed anyone.
Personally after youtube and watch his first minutes I thought he was a crazy bull, without capacity, but I liked him and I think We have only seen 50% of what he can do.

-In my opinion, Zidane is quite patient with the recovery of injuries and wants those who play to be 100%. I mean the management of the minutes that is sometimes difficult to understand. Brahim out of the team for a month, Vinicius in the stands, as well as Isco. At the moment Isco has returned very well, and I think that throughout the season he will show the best of Brahim,Militao as well as Vini.
Looking forward to the Clásico

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Modric has exactly two good games the whole season so far. Can't say he's been good

And Mendy is a fanstastic 1on1 defender(and a very good defender in general) but he offers nothing to the attack. I've been a bit disappointed with him honestly. He's a useful option to have though, for sure

Otherwise i agree. The one "criticism" i have to make is his handling of Jovic, i'd like to see more of him(and especially with Isco who seems now well and truly back and is getting games, particularly in the absence of Hazard, i don't understand why he insists on playing a wide forward on the right instead of two strikers playing close to each other)

JPRouve

Scout
Modric has exactly two good games the whole season so far. Can't say he's been good

And Mendy is a fanstastic 1on1 defender(and a very good defender in general) but he offers nothing to the attack. I've been a bit disappointed with him honestly. He's a useful option to have though, for sure

Otherwise i agree. The one "criticism" i have to make is his handling of Jovic, i'd like to see more of him(and especially with Isco who seems now well and truly back and is getting games, particularly in the absence of Hazard, i don't understand why he insists on playing a wide forward on the right instead of two strikers playing close to each other)
That's interesting because it's supposed to be the opposite.

JPRouve

Scout
Probably has to do with Ligue1 being a farmers league mate :D
That wouldn't explain why he was poor defensively, unless tapas leagues have poor attacks?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That wouldn't explain why he was poor defensively, unless tapas leagues have poor attacks?
Games played right after the siesta, players are still sleepy :lol:

But seriously, i can understand how a guy with those physical tools can be a great 1on1 defender, and the rest is down to coaching and mentality, but how can a guy that bad with the ball at his feet have been good in attack? Did Danilo curse him?

JPRouve

Scout
Games played right after the siesta, players are still sleepy :lol:

But seriously, i can understand how a guy with those physical tools can be a great 1on1 defender, and the rest is down to coaching and mentality, but how can a guy that bad with the ball at his feet have been good in attack? Did Danilo curse him?
But that's the thing, he is supposed to be good on the ball, in fact he is supposed to be better on the ball than Benjamin Mendy for example. That's why it's interesting, the player that you are describing is almost the opposite of what he has been his entire career. And to be clear I'm not doubting you since I haven't watched Real all that much since September but that's a surprising turn of event.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But that's the thing, he is supposed to be good on the ball, in fact he is supposed to be better on the ball than Benjamin Mendy for example. That's why it's interesting, the player that you are describing is almost the opposite of what he has been his entire career. And to be clear I'm not doubting you since I haven't watched Real all that much since September but that's a surprising turn of event.
Not a high bar isn't it, Benjamin Mendy apart from his crossing doesn't look good on the ball.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It's the Danilo effect :( well at least he can defend

One theory could be that the pressure of real madrid got to him, and he's focused on defending well and that's why he's succeeding. Perhaps our playing style which asks a lot of the wingbacks in possession is highlighting technical deficiencies that remained hidden at his old club. Perhaps it's the technical level of both his teammates and opponents being so high it's made him lose confidence...

JPRouve

Scout
It's the Danilo effect :( well at least he can defend

One theory could be that the pressure of real madrid got to him, and he's focused on defending well and that's why he's succeeding. Perhaps our playing style which asks a lot of the wingbacks in possession is highlighting technical deficiencies that remained hidden at his old club. Perhaps it's the technical level of both his teammates and opponents being so high it's made him lose confidence...
Those are all good points, it's probably a mix of everything. There is also the direct comparison to Marcelo who is a very unique player in terms of technique and attacking proficiency, it's a bit like using prime Dani Alves as a benchmark.

Makelele

Real’s transformation has been a highlight in a generally uninteresting year for me. Zidane’s one hell of a leader.

He seems to combine calmness and intense passion to an unusual degree, like Bielsa mingled with Pellegrini.
I really look forward to watching Real play. They look really good. And Zidane must well and truly be one of the most underrated managers during my lifetime at least. The ridicule directed towards him and general shoulder brushes are embarrassing. He deserves much more respect for what he has achieved.

Man management is amazing for sure. But look at how well drilled his teams look. Specially the midfield is impressive tactically. The way they dictate tempo and set up playmakers like Kroos is beautiful to watch. That’s Zidanes fingerprint. He knows his how to and when to. Deserves more accolades.

izec

I agree, if he can win some silverware again, he will be up there with the best managers of his era. Cant believe people thought his 3 consecutive CL wins were a fluke. He is as good a manager as he was a player, amazing really

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
3 CL's and 1 liga in his first 3 years as manager. Yeah it's weird he's not rated.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
First Real Madrid manager in history to go undefeated in the past 5 games at the Camp Nou. While, it's clear both Madrid and Barcelona have taken a big dip in strength recently, I've been impressed with how he's turned things around for Madrid compared to when he took over last year. It's good to see him get more credit now because I think we all thought going back to Madrid was a mistake and no one really expected them to be joint top of la liga.