Zidane's Real signature performance: 4-1 victory against Juventus in the 2017 UCL final

matbezlima

We all expect the greatest teams of all time to have at least one signature performance against a top team in the big stage that really says to the entire world "we are truly great and historical team and we are the best in the world!". Zidane's Real lacked such performances and convincing, great football in their first and third seasons, including their first and third UCL wins in 2016 and 2018. Strong mentality to win despite being dominated was what defined them.

But the 2017 team was truly great and it was really weird that they didn't win the treble in 2017, being surprisingly eliminated from Copa Del Rey by Celta de Vigo if I'm not mistaken. But they were great in La Liga and UCL. And if they had one signature performance, it was the big final against Juventus, at least the second half. Juventus was a truly great team, technically very good, solid as adamantium defensively and very sharp in counter-attack and possession, very complete and strong in all aspects. Juventus before the final had suffered only two goals in their entire UCL campaign before the final if I'm not mistaken. And these two goals came from corners, so no team in the UCL had been able to score against Juventus in open-play before the final! But Real defeated Juventus 4-1!

The first half of the 2017 final finished 1-1. It was tight and slightly dominated by Juventus. Juventus had 8 shots (4 on target) and 45% of ball possession while Real had 55% of ball possession, 5 shots and only one on target, CR7's goal.

But Real significantly upped their game in the second half while Juventus crumbled. The second half was humiliation, total destruction. Real scored three goals, had 13 shots (4 on target) and 53% of ball possession while Juve only had 3 shots, none on target. Real's great football throughout the season, their destruction of Atlético in the UCL semi-finals and the fantastic games against Bayern in the quarter-finals (though with bad refereeing decisions favorable to Real, the technical level and speed of the football played by Real and Bayern, specially in the second leg, was so high and wonderful to watch), really showed that 2017 Real played great football and truly were the best team in the world. They didn't play football in the alien technical level of Guardiola's Barcelona, but no team ever did really and Real 2017 stands on its own rights as a truly great and historical team and deserves high acclaim.

About the refereeing mistakes in the Real and Bayern's games, people forget that Vidal should have been sent off way before he was in the second leg. And Bayern had a totally non-existant penalty in the first leg when Bayern was 1-0 up in that game, but people forget it because the penalty was missed by Vidal. I concede, though, that Casemiro probably deserved to be sent off in the second leg two times and that two Real's goals were offside.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I agree with the whole post. These threads complimenting Madrid are always appreciated :D
One of my favorite games in recent years, along with Bayern's 0-4 and la décima.Cris, Modric, Casemiro, Marcelo...all the team played great.
From that match I will especially remember the play of the third goal and the celebration of Cristiano. I think he was especially happy with that one. After not being the protagonist in Lisbon and the dull final against Atlético, he needed a really important goal in the final.

"people forget that Vidal should have been sent off way before he was in the second leg. And Bayern had a totally non-existant penalty in the first leg when Bayern was 1-0 up in that game " = This should be a template, as it will be repeated a lot in the future.

Web of Bissaka

If I'm not wrong, there were that 'leaked footage of Real's dressing room during half time'.

Didn't feel Zidane did much other than maybe not scolding to a bunch of ego players who is there to win and has done it several times already.

I felt there were other games where Zidane's tactical decision making played huge roles and that's his signature I felt. But I get the thread is likely leaning more towards the team.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
That was a hugely impressive CL win by Real Madrid, especially dispatching a formidable Juve team in the final with an excellent 2nd half performance, in a hugely impressive season.

I enjoyed their La Liga matches with their second string team when Ronaldo didn't even travel to the stadium, with the 6-2 win at the Riazor a notable example. I think they were unbeaten in their first 29 matches in all competitions that season (with a 40 match unbeaten run in all competitions stretching back to the previous season). Their squad depth that season was insanely good.

Regarding Bayern, I actually had more sympathy for them after the 2018 defeat to RM than the 2017 one, as in 2018 I thought they were the better team, dominated for long periods, but missed so many chances.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
If I'm not wrong, there were that 'leaked footage of Real's dressing room during half time'.

Didn't feel Zidane did much other than maybe not scolding to a bunch of ego players who is there to win and has done it several times already.

I felt there were other games where Zidane's tactical decision making played huge roles and that's his signature I felt. But I get the thread is likely leaning more towards the team.
IIRC he switched Isco to the left wing and they started dominating.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The second half was something else. They suffocated Juventus

RooneyLegend

Thay Juve side pretty much didnt have the quality in the team to deal with an aggressive high press and after Zidane told Madrid to do that in the second they were toast. A Pjanic/Khedira midfield is never going to get it done. They had a better side in 15 and were unfprtunate to run into MSN.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Madrid's most impressive CL game was beating Bayern 4-0 in Munich with less shots than them and like 30% possession, that was brutal. It was with Ancelotti though.

With Zidane they did better in the first leg semifinal against Atletico than in the final against Juve since Juve were actually the better team for the first 45 minutes.

IIRC he switched Isco to the left wing and they started dominating.

I think telling the fullbacks to be higher up was the key, they were able to push Juve back like he wanted and the second half was pretty much played in their half of the pitch.