Zinedine Zidane - 3 time CL winning manager without a job

Wilt

It’s not about surpassing Ole, it’s about surpassing Pep, etc.
Well yes.

What I mean is …we’d certainly be in a better place by hiring Zidane and I do think him capable of taking Utd to the top.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol:
I know you love it, why wouldn't you. I won't stop crying though just to starve you of salty tears to lick. It's my party, I can cry if I want to.
To be honest, in all seriousness i don't think it's fair to call 2017 a robbery. The second leg was an absolute clusterfeck by the ref, but I believe the reason for it comes down to Vidal's foul on Isco at the beginning of the game. Which should have been a straight red card, and the ref knew it. Everything snowballed from there and Kassai lost the plot

2018, sure that was robbery, but also, you really shouldn't have needed the refs :lol: wasn't the refs missing 6 billions sitters and scoring 2 goals in your own goal :D

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Zidane is one of the few top tier coaches around. He is so underrated here by some

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Yes we are. We were the better team, we were robbed two years in a row, and we will continue to be bitter, if it's all the same to you.
Yeah, Nani and Cuneit Çakir (sp.?) :lol:

As a non fan I never understand why United fans dead sure they would won the game had Nani not been off.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
To be honest, in all seriousness i don't think it's fair to call 2017 a robbery. The second leg was an absolute clusterfeck by the ref, but I believe the reason for it comes down to Vidal's foul on Isco at the beginning of the game. Which should have been a straight red card, and the ref knew it. Everything snowballed from there and Kassai lost the plot

2018, sure that was robbery, but also, you really shouldn't have needed the refs :lol: wasn't the refs missing 6 billions sitters and scoring 2 goals in your own goal :D
As for 2017, I want to evade further discussion about our quarter final matches :wenger: , but I will concede that the way you dealt with Atletico in the semis and with Juve in the final was very commanding and impressive.
In light of those games, it's difficult to deny that Real were deserved CL champions that season, but I live for a challenge!

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
As per Romano, he is open to take over , should an opportunity come up.

padzilla

Hipster
The suggestion we would be better off sticking with Solksjaer is absurd.

InfiniteBoredom

As per Romano, he is open to take over , should an opportunity come up.
But but I've read for days on this place that he's not interested. In fact according to some no coach is interested to come in with our coming fixtures and the state of our CM.

Snap his fecking hands and feet off.

Giggs' right foot

Get him and make Laudrup his assistant. Each can take 45 minutes a week as CM, and we’ll be champions by April.

Chairman Steve

I bet he is, there’s a reason why no other big club has gone near him since he left Real.
Where could he have realistically gone? You could say possibly Juve but they’ve got financial problems and their team is on the down. He’s only been out of work for like 4 months anyway. Hardly like he’s been out of it for over a year.

the_cliff

Well according to El Chiringuito tv (not sure of reliability) we have contacted Zidane on a recommendation from Ronaldo. Again, not sure of reliability and I can't post media yet.

Teja

Well according to El Chiringuito tv (not sure of reliability) we have contacted Zidane on a recommendation from Ronaldo. Again, not sure of reliability and I can't post media yet.
Seems like something that the media would cook up. United need a new manager, who's available right now, has vague links to club / players and came up with Zidane.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'm still unsure about Zidane.

He managed and won with a very good Madrid side and hasn't been anywhere else.
Maybe that’s what United need. A manager who has experience winning trophies, but still a lot to prove as well.

InfiniteBoredom

He also won with a not very good Madrid side.

Guardiola hasnt been anywhere else before he came to Bayern.

The underrating of Zidane on this forum is just bonkers. If you have reservations from a style perspective, it's understandable, although it must be noted that his team were never out to play defensive plucky football. From a result perspective, even if you discount the 3 CL wins, you are still left with a manager with a great league record, great big game record, with only one bad half season out of 4.5, mostly due to his best forwards being unable to hit a barn door for 4 months. And all that in the biggest pressure cooker in football, with essentially neutral net spend.

passing-wind

Zidane still miles better than Solskjaer. Most managers which are thoughtfully recommended I'd take over Ole considering the level that Solskjaer offers as the manager.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If I remember right was Zidane's main changes at Real Madrid something to do with changing Coentrao to Marcelo. Using Casemiro to balance Kroos and Modric, Isco's top form (was he before him?) And Benzema's setting up type of Ronaldo's partnership?

dasty

Zidane won 3 CLs in a row and 8 other trophies and you lot dismiss it all as fluke? feck's sake, if you know nothing about what you are posting then don't bother posting your stupid opinion. He won the league with RM in 2019/20 despite Ronaldo leaving, Hazard perma-crocked, Bale playing golf, Asensio became a shadow of himself, Jovic flopping hard, Ramos being their second top scorer with only 2 players hitting double digits on goals scored, and Messi scoring 25 goals while assisting 21.

People thinks that he is tactically awful simply because he doesn't have any philosophies. That is completely wrong because he believes in being pragmatic instead of sticking to one set philosophy and passage of play. He always adjusts his teams according to his opposition, and will not hesitate to abuse any weakness of his opponents despite it pissing the purists off. His "cross and ishallah" tactics is used often when teams are parked too deep against RM and he had prime Ronaldo and a forward-roaming Ramos in his team. Teams with a set philosophy will never do this, but Zidane knows the strength of his players and always tinker his tactics to them.

And what's with the fecking obsession with all these philosophies anyway. SAF had never stick to a single playstyle his whole career and he is the greatest manager in the world. SAF is known for adapting to his opponents and play to the strength of his players, and Zidane is exactly that, yet this forum thinks Ole is a better manager than Zidane? You lot are fecking hysterical and delusional.

Strelok

Zidane won 3 CLs in a row and 8 other trophies and you lot dismiss it all as fluke? feck's sake, if you know nothing about what you are posting then don't bother posting your stupid opinion. He won the league with RM in 2019/20 despite Ronaldo leaving, Hazard perma-crocked, Bale playing golf, Asensio became a shadow of himself, Jovic flopping hard, Ramos being their second top scorer with only 2 players hitting double digits on goals scored, and Messi scoring 25 goals while assisting 21.

People thinks that he is tactically awful simply because he doesn't have any philosophies. That is completely wrong because he believes in being pragmatic instead of sticking to one set philosophy and passage of play. He always adjusts his teams according to his opposition, and will not hesitate to abuse any weakness of his opponents despite it pissing the purists off. His "cross and ishallah" tactics is used often when teams are parked too deep against RM and he had prime Ronaldo and a forward-roaming Ramos in his team. Teams with a set philosophy will never do this, but Zidane knows the strength of his players and always tinker his tactics to them.

And what's with the fecking obsession with all these philosophies anyway. SAF had never stick to a single playstyle his whole career and he is the greatest manager in the world. SAF is known for adapting to his opponents and play to the strength of his players, and Zidane is exactly that, yet this forum thinks Ole is a better manager than Zidane? You lot are fecking hysterical and delusional.
Bang on.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. There's no fixed best tactic that would fit every teams. The best tactic is simply whatever bring out the best of the players available to you.

I've never liked the philosophy ones despite the huge recent trend and hype toward them. Imo Pep is a prime example. His philosophy worked perfectly with Xavi, Iniesta and Busquet at Barcelona. But not with Bayern and to some extend not with City. He's been trying to recreate his prime Barcelona but imo it'll never work unless he somehow would acquire a midfield one or two level above the other top midfields in Europe.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

The Madrid side that he won the League with in 19/20 was anything but good

It was arguably much worse than the current Man Utd team. ESPECIALLY offensively with one player having to carry the whole attack

Likewise a CL semis+2nd place in league 2 points off the top after 65 injuries with CASEMIRO as 2nd top scorer is nothing short of an amazing achievement

passtheball

Good post.

Even SAF lost a CL final with prime Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Giggs, Scholes, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra etc. etc. in the team. He failed twice against Barcelona in CL finals. Zidane managed to beat them in La Liga, which has been dominated by Barcelona in the past decade or so (8 titles in 12 seasons since 08-09).

Takes a special kind of United fan to wonder whether a manager who has won more champions leagues than SAF will be an upgrade on Ole.

Strelok

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1449832143601946626.html

Something for those who does not know how Zidane set up his team to read.
Very nice read. Thank you.

I was never a fan but tbh I'd love to have him here. He'll be allowed to have much more power here than at Madrid. We have a fantastic squad bar one or two world class midfielders but full of fast attacking players which would suit his tactical flexibility perfectly. He's French and he know Varane, Pogba and Ronaldo. He has the required prestige from both his playing and management career to manage the megastars. They'll listen to him. He know how to deal with the non football shite at the top clubs. He survived Madrid he'll do it anywhere. He's surely a proven winner with 3 CL in a row.

I've never seen a more suitable candidate for the United job than him. He'd be perfect here.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Calm down, you're the one sounding hysterical here. I've not seen anyone claim Ole is a better manager than Zidane, let alone 'this forum'.

yipthatman

I bet he is, there’s a reason why no other big club has gone near him since he left Real.
Was any club other than Chelsea in for Tuchel once he left PSG? Sometimes you have to go for it. At this point Zidane or Conte I dont care. Both are proven winners.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
For some reason I don't rate Zidane and think this would be a disaster.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

yipthatman

For some reason I don't rate Zidane and think this would be a disaster.
It might be but no point playing it safe all the time in life. Ole is done and needs replacing. Any next manager is a gamble.

Lappen

I think the rumours about him wanting to lead "les blues" are correct. And I know he wasn't interested in the premier league back in 2018. And I think I read something about him not looking for any English team after that As well. (Couldn't find the article).
I would like him managing United, but I have already given up on him doing it.

Strelok

Good read

I would still prefer someone can bring in a progressive attacking system that can be instilled to bare fruit for years to come. But you know with Zidane given he has such big accomplishments.
Imo for that you'd need a whole change of the club structure and top hiearachy, especially youth structure. Managers come and go and they bring along with them their own style, their own philosophy. Without the above it's simply impossible to maintain a certain fixed style/system if the next manager comes with a completely different style and is allowed to implement his.

You look at clubs like Ajax, Bayern, Barcelona and you'd see their whole structure including youth development is set up to serve for a certain style. We don't have that and I don't think we ever will.

Real Name

Imagine him coming to the dressing room. Just his presence would lift the whole team. Of course that's not the only thing why we should hire him.
Some posters said it right, the fact he doesn't have some exact philosophy doesn't mean he's tactically bad. On the contrary he, similar to Fergie, adapts his play according to the opponent and tends to take advantage of opponents shortcomings.

You don't win all those titles just by accident.