Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
What happened to RvN in 2004/2005? He had 30+ goal seasons 3 times in a row and then again in 2005/2006.
He scored only 16 that season, 1 less than Rooney.

Take a look at this link. Rooney appearances were 37(6) compared to RVN's 25(2). To those who remember, was RVN out injured for a significant duration of time in that season?

Edit: Yep, injury.

Skorenzy

What happened to RvN in 2004/2005? He had 30+ goal seasons 3 times in a row and then again in 2005/2006.

Ruud van Nistelrooy at Man Utd, all comps

2001/02: 49 apps, 36 goals, 7 assists
2002/03: 52 apps, 44 goals, 8 assists
2003/04: 44 apps, 30 goals, 5 assists
2004/05: 27 apps, 16 goals, 5 assists
2005/06: 47 apps, 24 goals, 4 assists
--------
2001-06: 219 apps, 150 goals, 29 assists -- 0.69 gpg

NinjaFletch

Speaks more about our own troubles and problems than Zlatan's abilities, yes. It would be nice to see 30-odd goals or more from our top-scorer again.
Indeed.

Looking at Costa and Aguero's returns compared to Zlatan's this season he has been in line with expectations for a world class forward. The fact that it's been so long since we've had anyone of that quality or anyone that we might even expect to compete for the top scorer is quite damning.

wr8_utd

:'(
Super finish for the goal. That's exactly the sort of finish and placement I thought he'd have gone for in that Stoke game in the first minute.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

He just hasn't hit any as sweetly for us yet but he's very capable.
To be fair, most of them aren't that good - he hits them very hard but not that accurate. It's keeper's fault if you're conceding a free-kick like this (apart from the last 3)

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
As long as it goes in is all that matters.
Yeah, but those free-kicks are less likely to go in than a properly hit curled shot in the top corner (which doesn't left a keeper any chance if it's not De Gea)

Tosicsleftpeg

Been very very good lately, scored alot of goals and set up alot as well. Today he lead the line very well in a game we were expected to win he made sure we won it comfortably.

Righteous Steps

--------
What a player.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Our top scorers across all competitions since 2000 - RVN's 02/03 season is the best so far.

I hope Zlatan is in a position to stand out amongst those numbers by the end of this season - he is entirely capable of doing so.
I think the key point there is that for the first time since our title winning season in 12/13, we have a player on course for 30 goals. We won't win the league (not a hope), but it shows the difference in quality compared to previous seasons. Jose got it right.

Sylar

Amazing and the dude looks after himself so well, it seems like he doesnt even need a break.

Sylar

Never seems to get injured either. Even when caught in a nasty collision he just gets up and carries on.
Yep, the challenge on him by the WHU keeper in the cup match comes to mind. Freak of a player.

roykeane19

Man the difference between him and Rooney playing up front is night and day. He not only scores goals, but his chance creation, link up play is world class

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Our top scorers across all competitions since 2000 - RVN's 02/03 season is the best so far.

I hope Zlatan is in a position to stand out amongst those numbers by the end of this season - he is entirely capable of doing so.
Pretty remarkable he's almost bested every tally in the post-Fergie era. Shows how we've often lacked someone clinical, someone in that 25+ range.

Injuries I believe, only played 17 league games that season while managing 30+ every other year at the club.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
For those who are saying, "he is not that good", "he misses sitters", "he needs to be benched", here's question: why is that only Ibra seems to miss all these chances yet scores so many?
If scoring goals was so easy (as some of you seem to believe), why has no other player since RVN in 2002, been unable to match Ibra's scoring rate? I mean, Ibra can't be as bad as some of you are making out.

Last season, most people were swooning over Martial, for his 11 league goals in a whole season. Ibra scores more goals than Martial in half a season and you are complaining? I mean, WTF!!!
Am I right in thinking that the aim of football is to score goals? Or have I got this wrong? If I have this wrong, someone, please educate me, because I am baffled.

BTW:
Ibra: 50 goals in 2016.
Messi (the guy who many believe is the best of all time) is on 51.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Hope so. But I did hear the same about Depay

As long as he is still scoring goals though, I don't mind too much the way in which they are scored
Comparing Depay with Ibra is like comparing a banged up Ford Fiesta with a McLaren F1. The comparison itself is absurd.

AXVnee7

Comparing Depay with Ibra is like comparing a banged up Ford Fiesta with a McLaren F1. The comparison itself is absurd.
FFS I was comparing free kicks only not the players overal. Depay was banging the free kicks in before he came to the PL. You'd think it's one aspect that should stay consistent

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How a goal can change the perception, amazing.

Oscie

He's a monster. A machine. Before he signed I wasn't sure about him, thought he was the wrong age and suspected he was coming here for the wrong reasons and getting a last big pay day at the fag-end of his career and would just use us to boost his bank balance.

Brightonian

For those who are saying, "he is not that good", "he misses sitters", "he needs to be benched", here's question: why is that only Ibra seems to miss all these chances yet scores so many?
If scoring goals was so easy (as some of you seem to believe), why has no other player since RVN in 2002, been unable to match Ibra's scoring rate? I mean, Ibra can't be as bad as some of you are making out.

Last season, most people were swooning over Martial, for his 11 league goals in a whole season. Ibra scores more goals than Martial in half a season and you are complaining? I mean, WTF!!!
Am I right in thinking that the aim of football is to score goals? Or have I got this wrong? If I have this wrong, someone, please educate me, because I am baffled.

BTW:
You sort of have a point and you sort of don't. Ibra is obviously scoring at a great rate now, but he's doing so out of a surfeit of chances every game, most of them falling to him as our clear first-choice lone striker, and he could arguably be getting even more if he was as clinical as he generally was for PSG. Today, for example, he had three chances that you'd really expect him to score, and only took one of them.

What Martial did last season was come in as an inexperienced, relatively unfancied youngster with the pressure of what at the time was seen as an excessive transfer fee, into a team that were creating embarrassingly few chances on goal, and immediately became our best goal threat. He was creating a lot of the chances he scored single-handedly with incredible runs and shots. Nothing was coming easy to us at that time.

So yes, Ibra is doing really well now and those impressive stats shouldn't be ignored, but it is true that he might arguably be doing even better, and we should appreciate that his success also owes a lot to a team playing really well and creating hatfuls of chances for him. That said, his contribution other than in goals has been brilliant throughout the season so far, even when he wasn't scoring. That was very true today, when his performance in front of goal was hot and cold but his assists and link-up were perfect.

OldTrevil

How a goal can change the perception, amazing.
More justifiable for strikers as it's their primary goal, I'm more willing to look over a so and so performance from a striker who gets a goal than other positions, mind you I still gave Pogba my highest rating and MOTM as he was extremely dominant.

snk123

Ibra is scoring freely now and we're all happy. He was missing absolute sitters a couple of months back which was frustrating for everyone.
Don't know why you have to bring in a ridiculous analogy to justify that period which Ibra himself would admit was extremely poor by all standards.

Moby

Dick
Today, for example, he had three chances that you'd really expect him to score, and only took one of them.
Not even Messi or Cristiano score every single chance they get ffs.

What an era we live in, where a player is put to the sword for not scoring everytime he had the ball in front of goal, despite actually scoring and winning points consistently. He's been directly involved in all of our last seven goals.

Festive Sandvich

--------
Striker supreme, probably my favourite.

The United

BTW:
As some people pointed out, it didn't change the fact that he missed some good sitters and was in a bad form. His overall play were shit too. So, obviously it was justified for some posters to have some doubts over him AT THAT TIME.

Also, top strikers usually score from limited chances and out of nothing when the team seems to struggle a bit to get it going or in tough games.

I think the fact that if he had scored some of his sitters in some of those games, we could have been higher on the table easily probably frustrated people.

Last edited:

Bojan11

Sad thing is he is only going to only be here for two years.

If only Fergie signed him rather than Berbatov back in 2008.

Eddy_JukeZ

Sad thing is he is only going to only be here for two years.

If only Fergie signed him rather than Berbatov back in 2008.
Would have been great. I imagine Ibra would have aged even better too playing in the Prem all those years. We'd probably have more trophies for sure too.

He's a physical beast. Reminds me of Lebron from the NBA.

Zen

Gutted Christmas got in the way and I forgot to swap Costa for him in fantasy. If I did pre-game yesterday, it'd been a 6pt swing since about the 22nd as he went up 3 and Costa down 3....and he's already gone up 1 too, RIP my fantasy season since everyone else captained him too.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
I think that he was poor yesterday. Maybe the fact that he was superb against WBA last week made him lazy, but I found the old Ibra, the PSG's Ibra.

The one who doesn't run, doesn't work for the other.

He didn't looked sharped and looked tired.

Missed a lot of things despite his "assists" (I don't consider Blind's one an actual assist).

I just hope that he'll get some rest at some point against Boro

Status
Not open for further replies.