Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
This. His swagger was born for United :drool:
This a 100 fecking times. If there's 1 guy who was born with the attitude to play for us, it's this guy. He bloody owns it every time he steps out to play.

McNulty

I agree. Zlatan is worldclass, and might be at his peak regarding some aspects of his game. But definitely not all things combined. I find it quite hard to pinpoint his actual peak, but I really do think It's in interesting topic to discuss. Zlatan is still in his prime and have been for a long time. If we talk about a long-peak i would probably say from 2008 untill 2013, perhaps with a small asterix over his time in Barcelona.

But then again, with team Sweden between 2012-2015, he scored 34 goals in 34 games. I haven't been doing a deep analysis over the competition etc. But still, It's quite impressing numbers. I have not found any active player who have managed that kind of goal per game ratio over a bigger sample of games (around 30+) for the national team. Playing for a great side like some players, It probably works as both an advantage and disadvantage here, as they tend to go deeper and face better competition.

What did you think about his second season in Milan? It felt like he almost singlehandedly dragged them just short of the Scudetto.

Last edited:

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
I agree. Zlatan is worldclass, and might be at his peak regarding some aspects of his game. But definitely not all things combined. I find it quite hard to pinpoint his actual peak, but I really do think It's in interesting topic to discuss. Zlatan is still in his prime and have been for a long time. If we talk about a long-peak i would probably say from 2008 untill 2013, perhaps with a small asterix over his time in Barcelona.

But then again, with team Sweden between 2012-2015, he scored 34 goals in 34 games. I haven't been doing a deep analysis over the competition etc. But still, It's quite impressing numbers. I have not found any active player who have managed that kind of goal per game ratio over a bigger sample of games (around 30+) for the national team. Playing for a great side like some players, It probably works as both an advantage and disadvantage here, as they tend to go deeper and face better competition.

What did you think about his second season in Milan? It felt like he almost singlehandedly dragged them just short of the Scudetto.
He has been at his best two times in his career in my opinion. Last season in Inter he was for me the best striker in the world. The way he attacked the defensive line was incredible. His shot was amazing. He was fast and inanely technical. This season made it possible for him to be bought to Barcelona. The other season was his second season in PSG when he developed in to another kind of player. More physical, a better passer and totally dominant in every way. Not as fast as in Inter but more tactical and smart regarding passes, when to dribble and stuff like that. More of a complete player. This was maybe the best i've ever seen of him. He was 32. In Milan he was incredible as well but in my opinion a step behind how he was in PSG 2012-13 and Inter 2008-09. He was in a sort of transfer period between his old technical self and his PSG version which was more a big and dominant player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No offence to PSG but I can't believe a player of his calibre wasted a few years in the French league.
He changed his game in the french league, he changed his game partially because the french league is a more physical and is a defensive league.

Festive Sandvich

If you'd asked me at the start of the season, I'd have said he was a waste of a squad number, only purpose to stunt Rashford's development. Happy to say I know feck all, and that he's proving to be a huge success - so much better than I actually thought he was, and not a mercenary as I suspected. Was robbed of an excellent goal today. He's taken the best 'old dog on the cheap' transfer title from Larsson before the new year. Awesome.

Eddy_JukeZ

Can't believe the ref ruled out his goal. Shocking decision.

Didn't have that many touches today, but was always dangerous. Great ball to Martial for the equalizer.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ibra's peak was between 2009 and 2014 imho. His best seasons being his last at inter, second at milan and second at psg. Funnily enough, his second season at milan was perhaps the absolute best of his career, yet was also the one season where he failed. Lost the league to an inferiot juventus side, the only league title he lost in italy(the two seasons at juve notwithstanding)

Sylar

Fantastic finish. The worst thing was that he was the one that was fouled by Valdes yet the free kick was given against him. Madness.

Dude is a freak, another 90 minutes, and tbh, he doenst need rest. He just looks in top form and fitness.

Also again, lol @ Avg rating 6.2

SirAF

Ageist
24 goals + assists in 27 matches, pretty good for a washed up old pro ;)

Moby

Dick
Last season in Inter he was for me the best striker in the world. The way he attacked the defensive line was incredible.
It was that season when Vidic completely dominated him when United played Inter in the CL and knocked them out. One of Vidic's best performances in my opinion, because of what you just mentioned there. He had the best striker in the world and a juggernaut of a man in his pocket.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I remember ibra hitting the post at OT? Or you mean the first leg?

DarkXaero

It was that season when Vidic completely dominated him when United played Inter in the CL and knocked them out. One of Vidic's best performances in my opinion, because of what you just mentioned there. He had the best striker in the world and a juggernaut of a man in his pocket.
From what I recall, Ibra was pretty good against us in those matches, his hold up play was really good even though he didn't score against us.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
I appreciate Jose even more for his comments & empathy for Ibra in his post match comments. Specifically regarding the audacity (my words not his) of a ref like Mason to deny a goal that would have tied Ibra with Messi for the most goals (51) for the entire calendar year 2016. (Mourino just said "it's hard" :) but didn't disguise his disappointment)

Quite simply the ref was a tw@t ... and now the FA can meet & chat to see if the inferences Jose made in the post-match interview justify prosecution. Stranger things have happened :houllier:

More about Ibra though. Hopefully we keep him for both this year and next & that he stays fit. Over and above whatever trophies he helps us win with his pure talent, its about how much our youngsters, especially the forwards like, Martial, Rashford & Lingard can learn from this man. His self-belief is extraordinary & while he tends to be outspoken in public, on the pitch he has a strong silent-type demeanour the team needs and looks to for confidence. With a "look", grown men (team mates & opponents alike are seen to cower) :devil: Arrogant enough to intimidate all but the strongest of opposition.

His actions however, speak even louder than his words. He is mentally AND physically tough. Rarely, if ever, shirks from a tackle. Never afraid to mix it up with anyone big or small whenever necessary. Can shield the most difficult to control passes from virtually any CB, no mater their size or stature. And so cool & creative with his passing as well as his finishing. It's good to watch and has been for a long time, just not with us :(

Kids ... learn from this master while you can!

Alabaster Codify7

I love him. I've always been fairly indifferent towards him really, never paid THAT much attention to him when he was elsewhere but respected his standing etc.

I just love his demeanour and attitude. He's a consummate professional, on and off the pitch. He has a real air of 'something' about him and its rubbing off on everyone as I hoped. And his goal return, number of appearances and assists have been exceptional so far. I want him to stay next season, too, he's in fantastic shape for a man of his age and the younger players can only learn from him.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Is he fit enough to start against West Ham? I know he's a freak of nature but still, I'd guess he isn't.

El Zoido

Of course he'll play against West Ham. He doesn't even seem to flag towards the end of games, his fitness is quite incredible.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Play him at West Ham, rest him against Reading the following weekend, and the midweek after that against Hull if necessary.
No point resting him next week when he has had a 5 day rest. The stress related injuries become more probable if he plays on short rest. I think he's far too important for us over the course of the season to be experimented with on Monday. Infact I'd rest as many as key players as I can no matter the result.

Redfan94

For those that have watched him throughout his career, when is his prime generally considered to have been?

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
No point resting him next week when he has had a 5 day rest. The stress related injuries become more probable if he plays on short rest. I think he's far too important for us over the course of the season to be experimented with on Monday. Infact I'd rest as many as key players as I can no matter the result.
Well that is absolutely bonkers, given that we finally have some momentum. With the games coming up after that, and given how pivotal it is to carry on the good string of results in the league, you basically have to play your very best team as long as it isn't medically unsound.

And that's exactly what we'll do, too.

McNulty

I think he still is in his prime, and have been for över a decade. Although, if we talk about peak seasons you should probably include atleast his last in Inter, second in Milan, and second in PSG in any discussion regarding that. So you could probably count these seasons and the ones between as some sort of extented peak. He won the scoring title 4 times during that timeframe. Though, I don't really think there is a consensus for when he was at his absolute peak, opinions seem to be a bit different regarding that. His most productive years for the national team was between 2012 and 2015, which makes it even harder. I can absolutely see arguments for peak Zlatan to have been the best striker in the world.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
He's definitely not in his prime. I've lost count of the number of times he could have been free of the last defender if only he had some pace. It happens numerous times every match. Deploy the fecker as a false 9, Jose. We always score more goals when that happens. It was the case against Sunderland and it was the case in the last 20 minutes against Boro as well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's definitely not in his prime. I've lost count of the number of times he could have been free of the last defender if only he had some pace. It happens numerous times every match. Deploy the fecker as a false 9, Jose. We always score more goals when that happens. It was the case against Sunderland and it was the case in the last 20 minutes against Boro as well.
He's never had pace. Nothing to do with his prime. Daft to suggest it.

Dante

Average bang
He's never had pace. Nothing to do with his prime. Daft to suggest it.
Daft to think he's not slower than he used to be. He was never renowned for pace, but he WAS faster. Enough so to break free from defenders he can't do so from today.

Awalys something hey Donte?

Just an unreal player we are lucky Jose has managed to play here for 2-3 years. He'll win loads as our main man.

Even if a slight slower his timing is so bang on he beats defenders every single week.

Dante

Average bang
Awalys something hey Donte?

Just an unreal player we are lucky Jose has managed to play here for 2-3 years. He'll win loads as our main man
Always something? What the feck are you on about? I think he's fecking amazing when he drops back and wide. The proof has been in the fecking pudding the last few matches.

FattyFooty

And people says the nab-forum is full of fools.

Dante

Average bang
And people says the nab-forum is full of fools.
Watch the games. Look at where he plays at various points. Look at how well the team functions as a result.

Unless you do think he's in his prime and hasn't lost any pace at 35... in which case, carry on.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Daft to think he's not slower than he used to be. He was never renowned for pace, but he WAS faster. Enough so to break free from defenders he can't do so from today.
I can't remember a single moment I've thought "if Zlatan was faster that was a goal".

I do remember two times he has beaten the offside trap to find himself in acres of space and slotted home.

Unless we are talking MSN, there isn't a striker who's pace would benefit us over what he has offered so far.

FattyFooty

Watch the games. Look at where he plays at various points. Look at how well the team functions as a result.

Unless you do think he's in his prime and hasn't lost any pace at 35... in which case, carry on.
In Fifa pace is important. In real football results and goals matter. He sure as hell is helping us with that part.

Dante

Average bang
I can't remember a single moment I've thought "if Zlatan was faster that was a goal".

I do remember two times he has beaten the offside trap to find himself in acres of space and slotted home.

Unless we are talking MSN, there isn't a striker who's pace would benefit us over what he has offered so far.
It happens a few times every match. Usually from passes by Pogba. I love him, but I can see his faults all the same.

Zlatan doesn't have to be 'quick'. But he could benefit from being 'quicker'. It's evident every game. I don't think that's controversial.

Acres of space aren't necessary. Sometimes inches make the difference. Ask Cina's mum.

El Jefe

I love Ibra and its so easy to see why he's adored by many of his ex clubs.

His ability coupled with the maturity and leadership he brings on and off the pitch is awesome. He's very genuine and constantly praising and uplifting his team mates in interviews.

Like many have said he's clearly the Captain regardless of who wears the armband.

Status
Not open for further replies.