Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
What's the story with him? Is he injured?
Seems a bit of waste of a contract considering he's played a handful of times and hasn't contributed much this season

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
What's the story with him? Is he injured?
Seems a bit of waste of a contract considering he's played a handful of times and hasn't contributed much this season
Yeah, injured before Christmas. Expected back in early Feb, IIRC.

Could still have an impact though. Wouldn't write him off.

SwedishFish

He's not injured, It's more that he has taken a leave to build his fitness as he wasn't happy with his fitness levels after making the comeback.
From what I've read he has been building his fitness with extra shifts in the gym with personal coaches etc.
I think he could still have an impact if he can return to the fold feeling stronger than earlier.
There will be a lot of games towards the end of the season where we would need a striker for back-up.
With the type of football that we're playing It's not likely that Alexis Sanchez will be playing as a striker and Martial, Rashford isn't really suited to playing as a CF either at the moment.
Fingers crossed that he can make a good return, he deserves it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He isn't injured.
Mourinho said he wasn't happy with his fitness.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
He's more or less done at the highest level, I think. No use in keeping him around on mega wages.

C'est Moi Cantona

He was so far off the pace when he returned something had to be done, and an 'injury' is fine, hope he's enjoying himself, he deserves it for what he's done.

Next season though we really need a viable backup for Rom.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No question of him staying on beyond the summer, but hopefully he can get to the right level for some good performances later on.

It may well pan out a little like last year where we prioritise the cups late on, so he may be needed to start league games.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I'd like to see him play a part in the coming months. Hope he can reach the required fitness levels. And hope Jose stops trying to field him in the same line-up as Lukaku. Rom could do with a rest here and there.

Greck

I'd like to see him play a part in the coming months. Hope he can reach the required fitness levels. And hope Jose stops trying to field him in the same line-up as Lukaku. Rom could do with a rest here and there.
Personally think we're better even with a misfiring Lukaku. Ibra plays like he thinks he's the #10, #8 and #9. Also seems to think he's a better playmaker/midfield dictator than he really is

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Personally think we're better even with a misfiring Lukaku. Ibra plays like he thinks he's the #10, #8 and #9. Also seems to think he's a better playmaker/midfield dictator than he really is
I think it's impossible to judge him on those few appearances this season if he wasn't fit enough. With Lukaku, I think it's just a matter of necessity, he can't be playing every single game.

It might not be likely, but I do hope he returns to full fitness. Bit a mare with his career with us fizzling out like this.

Greck

I think it's impossible to judge him on those few appearances this season if he wasn't fit enough. With Lukaku, I think it's just a matter of necessity, he can't be playing every single game.

It might not be likely, but I do hope he returns to full fitness. Bit a mare with his career with us fizzling out like this.
Was actually talking about his last season's performances. Yes I know what his stats looks like

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Was actually talking about his last season's performances.
Grant you that he slowed us down, but I also think he brought the team something it was lacking, a spine. 28 goals wasn't bad either. And he bruised quite a few defenders. He's better at holding up the ball than Romelu (judging by last season). Again, if he can regain the same level of fitness, he'd be a very good option coming from the bench when we're leading, giving Rom a bit of a rest IMV.

Jaybomb

I have a feeling he’s going to do something amazing this season. Like the winner in the Champions League final when we get there.

Penalty

I have a feeling he’s going to do something amazing this season. Like the winner in the Champions League final when we get there.
Honestly, I feel like that would be the only way to salvage his time at the club. Otherwise I think he'll be forgotten. Hasn't convinced that many despite having a strong first season, which was ruined a bit early mostly because Mourinho overused Ibra and all his energy got 'drained' way too fast.

I hope he'll have a magical last couple of months in the PL, but I also know it's wishful thinking.

The only 'positive' thing with him 'resting' now is that he will have a lot of energy, could even last for one or two more seasons. As far as I know his entire pro-career has been 50+ matches per season, so this could maybe mean that he prolongs the career in the highest level. But that all depends of course on if he'll ever fully recover from the injury.

Last edited:

Kostov

Apparently he is here in Macedonia. Some web tabloid just published a photo of him taken with some fans in a restaurant, they say he might be here hunting. However take that with a pinch of salt.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
With all the chat about Sanchez this last couple of weeks i actually forgot he played for us.

Can’t really see a scenario where i want him starting games for us. Has to be Lukaku first choice or for certain types of games Sanchez leading the line

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was excellent to see him get back again, and at least he scored that goal when he returned.

Most likely came in too quickly though, but hopefully he has some role to play near the end of the season.

You could quite easily see us prioritising cups later on, meaning we'd need him to start some league games. Hopefully he can do more than just start.

F1D

Apparently he is here in Macedonia. Some web tabloid just published a photo of him taken with some fans in a restaurant, they say he might be here hunting. However take that with a pinch of salt.
It's legit, he`s in Stip with his son.

F1D

Yes apparently in Stip, that's what the source claimed. You are from Macedonia? Anything else that wasn't reported about his trip here?
Yes I am. He told some kids that he's on a hunting trip and is leaving on Tuesday.

haram

Him and Mkhi leaving basically covers Sanchez’ wages.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Isn't he supposed to be back by now? Could have done with a cameo from him tonight. His experience was good in European games last season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Isn't he supposed to be back by now? Could have done with a cameo from him tonight. His experience was good in European games last season.
He's done at this level... you can't come back from an acl tear at his age. This season was basically going to be his last at this level and only as a squad player anyway, but then he tore his ACL so this season is a write off.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
He's done at this level... you can't come back from an acl tear at his age. This season was basically going to be his last at this level and only as a squad player anyway, but then he tore his ACL so this season is a write off.
Funny you should say that. I had a discussion just last week with my professor(consultant for Inter) who said it actually is possible to come back to almost pre-injury levels of fitness, even at his age, as long as the body's biology is respected and the rehab process isn't rushed. 6 months was the absolute minimum time mentioned for post op rehab, followed by a couple of months of football related rehab/conditioning. Unfortunately, footballers are treated as financial assets these days and they're usually rushed through rehab to get them playing as soon as possible, and that obviously is ill advised. This was the very reason Ghoulam of Napoli injured his knee again, after a successful ACL reconstruction.

bosnian_red

Funny you should say that. I had a discussion just last week with my professor(consultant for Inter) who said it actually is possible to come back to almost pre-injury levels of fitness, even at his age, as long as the body's biology is respected and the rehab process isn't rushed. 6 months was the absolute minimum time mentioned for post op rehab, followed by a couple of months of football related rehab/conditioning. Unfortunately, footballers are treated as financial assets these days and they're usually rushed through rehab to get them playing as soon as possible, and that obviously is ill advised. This was the very reason Ghoulam of Napoli injured his knee again, after a successful ACL reconstruction.
Technically, yeah it is always possible to come back to pre-injury levels. It takes a long time though. At his age, he's declining pretty rapidly anyway, and that doesn't just pause because he's injured and then restart once he gets back to training. It's going on while he's out. But not only is it to do with the physical injury and getting yourself fit again. It's getting accustomed to your knee being "fixed" but knowing it's not quite the same, trusting your knee and yourself with everything, and many other mental aspects. I've had the injury (twice now, going to have my second surgery in the summer sadly), and obviously I'm no professional footballer, but it took me about a year to get back to playing football, and then another year to actually getting to a level where I was happy with how I was playing and felt like I was at a good level. Another few months until I trusted myself crossing the ball with my left foot while running with it down the wing (left leg was my weaker leg). If anything, probably made it easier for me since I mainly used my right leg anyway so that leg wasn't affected (now I tore my right ACL so we'll see how that goes). I'm not sure which one Ibrahimovic tore, but at the professional level, you really have to be at peak fitness to deal with how physical the game can be and little nudges can throw you off balance and get you worried about re-injuring your knee. Especially in the premier league where there were pretty clear signs last season that Ibra was starting to feel the pace of the game and look more and more fatigued as the season went on.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Technically, yeah it is always possible to come back to pre-injury levels. It takes a long time though. At his age, he's declining pretty rapidly anyway, and that doesn't just pause because he's injured and then restart once he gets back to training. It's going on while he's out. But not only is it to do with the physical injury and getting yourself fit again. It's getting accustomed to your knee being "fixed" but knowing it's not quite the same, trusting your knee and yourself with everything, and many other mental aspects. I've had the injury (twice now, going to have my second surgery in the summer sadly), and obviously I'm no professional footballer, but it took me about a year to get back to playing football, and then another year to actually getting to a level where I was happy with how I was playing and felt like I was at a good level. Another few months until I trusted myself crossing the ball with my left foot while running with it down the wing (left leg was my weaker leg). If anything, probably made it easier for me since I mainly used my right leg anyway so that leg wasn't affected (now I tore my right ACL so we'll see how that goes). I'm not sure which one Ibrahimovic tore, but at the professional level, you really have to be at peak fitness to deal with how physical the game can be and little nudges can throw you off balance and get you worried about re-injuring your knee. Especially in the premier league where there were pretty clear signs last season that Ibra was starting to feel the pace of the game and look more and more fatigued as the season went on.
Agree with you about the mental aspects and age related decline. Sorry to hear about your injuries. If it's any consolation, I'm getting my left ACL reconstructed in May and I can't fecking wait to be done with the whole thing so I can play football again.

bosnian_red

Agree with you about the mental aspects and age related decline. Sorry to hear about your injuries. If it's any consolation, I'm getting my left ACL reconstructed in May and I can't fecking wait to be done with the whole thing so I can play football again.
Yeah I tore mine last summer, getting it repaired at the end of May so first month will be spent watching the world cup anyway so not a huge deal :lol: But yeah it's annoying needing to go through the recovery all over again, but for Ibra, it's definitely a case of him being done at the highest level. If it's a 25 year old that tears his ACL, it's still complicated, but they can get back to their best after probably 18 months (9 months to get back to playing, another half season getting form back to get back to their best).

Bjerring

Yeah I tore mine last summer, getting it repaired at the end of May so first month will be spent watching the world cup anyway so not a huge deal :lol: But yeah it's annoying needing to go through the recovery all over again, but for Ibra, it's definitely a case of him being done at the highest level. If it's a 25 year old that tears his ACL, it's still complicated, but they can get back to their best after probably 18 months (9 months to get back to playing, another half season getting form back to get back to their best).
Sad to hear about both yours and @van der star ACL tears, I hope you guys get back to playing if you wish too. I'm at home atm recovering from also my second ACL tear in the same knee, so safe for me to say football is done for me sadly.

I the case of Ibra, my thoughts is that he is done. Even though he came to United in amazing shape, and him breaking records and such. He will not return, he's postponed his physical decline in impressive manner, but i think the injury, has caused it to catch up with him. Sad to see, but i fear for him that the "small" injuries following his reconstruction will haunt him, and keep him away from his earlier heights and levels close to that. I do think he will keep trying because of his determination and persona, though I fear it might not be enough this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.