Zlatan Ibrahimovic vs Edinson Cavani - Comparing their United careers

Lee565

It was enjoyable to see Ibrahimovic at united but cavani for me, we were little too predictable with Ibrahimovic in the side and one paced.

RUCK4444

I’d say Cavani is more suited to our style. Marginal. But also notable that I think Cavani is playing in more fluent side than a Jose side.
This is a fair point. You have to build in the negative Jose factor.

Both top level players in their time. Pity the both of them wasted a large portion of their prime in Paris.

GueRed

Zlatan was a perfect fit in Mourinho's long ball direct game, the focal point in attack, hence why he did well

Cavani is a perfect fit in Ole-ball. Industrious and always on the move.

BULB

haha zlatan the serial misser!

No doubt one of the most overrated players in our history.

The undisputed king of the big miss! irc he had double the number of big misses than the next guy in the prem.

and his goal stats were inflated because he used to take penalties.

and his goal stats were inflated because he used to take free kicks - haha got you on that one, his free kicks were absolutely diabolical!

Just because Jose used to say after every game he is world class and the rest of the team is crap doesn't mean he was!

mancan92

The undisputed king of the big miss! irc he had double the number of big misses than the next guy in the prem.

and his goal stats were inflated because he used to take free kicks - haha got you on that one, his free kicks were absolutely diabolical!

Just because Jose used to say after every game he is world class and the rest of the team is crap doesn't mean he was!
Wait are you going to pretend Cavani hasn't missed loads of sitters? Until his recent string of goals he missed a bunch of sitters.

He is a player who needs a number of chances only difference is zlatan influences both sides of the ball. Off the ball and on it.

TsuWave

Ibra wasted so many chances, it kinda soured me on his time here

Manya.para.siempre

Wait are you going to pretend Cavani hasn't missed loads of sitters? Until his recent string of goals he missed a bunch of sitters.

He is a player who needs a number of chances only difference is zlatan influences both sides of the ball. Off the ball and on it.
Which sitters has he missed this season? He has had some half chances to decent chances that he didn’t put away but I don’t recall any sitters.

For some reason some people seem to think that any half chance is easy to put away and every striker has to score every chance they get. I’d love to see what of you would have done with these “chances”.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
we have a vastly better team and less negative manager
I agree. It's what everyone has been saying all along. Zlatan was a better fit for that side and manager's style. Cavani suits the current one better.

When Ruud left pundits laughed and asked where the goals would come from. Saha never scored as many, but the team as a whole worked better and scored more.

mancan92

Which sitters has he missed this season? He has had some half chances to decent chances that he didn’t put away but I don’t recall any sitters.

For some reason some people seem to think that any half chance is easy to put away and every striker has to score every chance they get. I’d love to see what of you would have done with these “chances”.
What are you talking about he has missed loads of sitters even against Roma he missed 2 sitters. Cavani is and has always been a players who needs 3/4 chances before scoring. The only difference is that he has great movement. Which zlatan also has anyway.

mancan92

Ibra wasted so many chances, it kinda soured me on his time here
So has Cavani the difference is zlatan created plenty of chances for others aswell. Zlatan contributed 38 goals and assists in 46 games. You guys really are bugging. He did way better than Cavani has it isn't even close.

Cavani has 17 contributions in 33 games. And isn't even involved off the ball anywhere near as often as zlatan whilst also missing chances and playing in a much better team.

Who scored has Cavani at 6.7
Zlatan at 7.5 in their respective united seasons.

Its just recent bias. Zlatan also won us a final.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
This is a fair point. You have to build in the negative Jose factor.

Both top level players in their time. Pity the both of them wasted a large portion of their prime in Paris.
Yeah having a more fluent side definitely helps attackers and as you mentioned - both top top players. Pity we got them both as stop gaps, when they’re past their best.

Stacks

A lot of people twerkin for prime Cavani now but at the time people didn't want him because of his perceived profligacy and that he isn't big time enough to win the top prizes

TsuWave

So has Cavani the difference is zlatan created plenty of chances for others aswell. Zlatan contributed 38 goals and assists in 46 games. You guys really are bugging. He did way better than Cavani has it isn't even close.

Cavani has 17 contributions in 33 games. And isn't even involved off the ball anywhere near as often as zlatan whilst also missing chances and playing in a much better team.

Who scored has Cavani at 6.7
Zlatan at 7.5 in their respective united seasons.

Its just recent bias. Zlatan also won us a final.
I don’t know if you’re related to Ibrahimovic or something, but you need to relax. All I posted was that his flagrant misses soured me on his time here. I do not need you throwing whoscored ratings at me.

Red Royal

I think Zlatan was exactly what was needed then, a vocal leader, someone to keep Pogba in check and raise the level of what was pretty much an old poor squad (De Gea, Pogba and a few aside).

Cavani is what we need now, a stable professional who will provide the finishong touches to a very good young team.

Both have proven their value and to compare them is difficult, whatever both turned out good.

Looking forward to Neymar in a few years

I think Zlatan was exactly what was needed then, a vocal leader, someone to keep Pogba in check and raise the level of what was pretty much an old poor squad (De Gea, Pogba and a few aside).

Cavani is what we need now, a stable professional who will provide the finishong touches to a very good young team.

Both have proven their value and to compare them is difficult, whatever both turned out good.

Neymar will not be playing as a high level at their age.

I agree. Zlatan was what we needed at the time. He wouldn’t work in this team now, Cavani fits us like a glove.

United492

Are you extracting the urine?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

I reckon it'll be lewandoski.

Falcao, ibra, cavani, lewa will fit the mould.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
How? Yesterday cavani missed 2 sitters and scored 2. He misses alot of sitters that is how he always has been. He isn't anywhere near as good as zlatan on the ball. Thats just a fact.

Where is the issue?
And Zlatan isn't anywhere near as good as Cavani off the ball :D
As for missing chances. So did Zlatan he used to miss 2-3 sitters at times and people were going crazy how every keeper suddenly turned world class when it was our poor finishing that was costing us games

Last edited:

RedFish

Zlatan brought a maturity and know how to a disorganized and team lacking direction. He led the team, and enabled United to win the Europa and continue its development.

Cavani has settled into the team not so much as the leader (Fernandes) but as an inspirational forward who thrives on interplay with his team mates to score the most exquisite yet in a way simple goals.

I prefer the latter but we needed a Zlatan then like we need Cavani now.

mancan92

What are you talking about? Zlatan has absolutely superb off the ball movement. That is why he was able to get into so many goal scoring opportunities.

Also that was my point both zlatan and Cavani miss loads of chances difference is zlatan creates way more chances for others.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
What are you talking about? Zlatan has absolutely superb off the ball movement. That is why he was able to get into so many goal scoring opportunities.

Also that was my point both zlatan and Cavani miss loads of chances difference is zlatan creates way more chances for others.
Oh cmon Zlatan never moved off the ball like Cavani does. Zlatan's way more static.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Zlatan was better but it's a shame we didn't have either earlier in their careers. There is a lot of recency bias with Cavani, until the last month he was pretty average for us.

dronesoul

2013 - 2014 season

No titles

Top goalscorerLeague:
Wayne Rooney (17)
All:
Wayne Rooney (19)

2014 - 2015 seaaon

No titles

Top goalscorerLeague: Wayne Rooney (12)
All: Wayne Rooney (14)

2015 - 2016 season

FA CupWinners

Top goalscorerLeague:
Anthony Martial (11)
All:
Anthony Martial (17)

2016 - 2017 Zlatan season

Top goalscorerLeague: Zlatan Ibrahimović (17)
All: Zlatan Ibrahimović (28)

2017 - 2018 season

No titles

Top goalscorerLeague: Romelu Lukaku (16)
All: Romelu Lukaku (27)

2018 - 2019 season

No titles

Top goalscorerLeague: Paul Pogba(13 goals)
All: Paul Pogba (16 goals)

2019 - 2020 season

No titles

Top goalscorerLeague:
Anthony Martial
Marcus Rashford
(17 each)
All:
Anthony Martial (23)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Zlatan was main player in EL and League cup. Two trophies ffs. Despite how much i love Cavani, no contest here.

el3mel

Zlatan was main player in EL and League cup. Two trophies ffs. Despite how much i love Cavani, no contest here.
A lot of disrespect for Zlatan's time here it's ridiculous. It's like we can't love both, no, one of them must be shit.

I enjoyed the prospect of having both leading the line for us at different times, but of course for some here they can't even do that.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
A lot of disrespect for Zlatan's time here it's ridiculous. It's like we can't love both, no, one of them must be shit.

I enjoyed the prospect of having both leading the line for us at different times, but of course for some here they can't even do that.
Like everything here. "You are with us or against us". If you think that something is better then by default, you are saying other thing is shit. Amazing logic

Raredaredevil

You must really hate Zlatan.

tomaldinho1

Agreed. Cavani is much more likeable as a person but this wouldn’t even be a thread if they both hadn’t been on a free from PSG. They are different players with different roles, both with injury problems but one vastly out scored the other and won trophies.

If there was a thread about ‘if Cavani and Ibra had both stayed 100% in their first season who would have been better’ we could have at this all night but we can deal in reality here.

Lelouch geass

People in this forum were complaining that Zlatan scoring is bad thing for United actually and hoped Edi signed one more year. I give out to Edi because he just creates his own chances in the area, has less misses and fits any team better. Zlatan had some limitations though his United career is better. Difficult to compare tiger and a lion. Zlatan was a fierce leader while Cavani is a humble leader.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
> both were culture changers in the locker room
  • ...players were/are in awe around them (their aura). A lot of our squad are timid in character and sometimes it reflects on the pitch when we reach uncharted territory/moments in late stages of cup competitions. Ibra brought along that assertiveness with supreme, fierce cockiness which lifted the team whereas to the same effect but different means, Cavani does so with his quiet confidence - deadly like an assassin.

> bring elements to the table which the other strikers just don’t have
  • ...Depay, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood. All are skilled strikers that have minimal to non-existing aerial threat and ability to make runs. All of them are sort of perimeter players who don’t like getting into the nitty gritty AKA playing between the goal posts. Zlatan was just a force to be with reckoned who would bully his way into central attacking positions. Cavani does to a lesser extent but he’s not as ‘point A to point B’ as Ibra was. Instead, he’s able to open up by creating runs as good or better than anyone else in world football and get in behind, even at the age he is at which is just incredible. That kind of direct technical ability, none of the other forwards have the tendency of really doing. Yes we had Lukaku but he wasn’t able to settle in and was too sloppy under United. Ighalo was great considering the circumstances but he was bit more of an attacker who held up play for the others. And then Rooney who was just about done, virtually playing in midfield. (Alexis, let’s just pretend that never happened...)
> points of reference for the team
  • ...whether it’s from the coaching staff being able to relate to them for the others or from the players saying it themselves, Zlatan/Cavani were/are used as measuring sticks for everyone to learn. They definitely show and teach the younger guys things to look for in their own game when playing. Yes the players won’t be able to emulate it to the extent they do but at least they’ll be aware if the opportunity presents itself in game situation. Growing their games by adding potential layers, even if it’s educational and they can’t mimic it much. Definitely helps in not having the players be so narrow minded by opening their eyes to other possibilities. And ultimately, the hope is it leads to them not being so predictable in their play by keeping their choice of options available. That’s all there really is to it. We hear all the time of players that say ‘player xyz guided them and showed them things they otherwise would not have known or done’. Does it ever go a long ways and have a lasting effect.

those are sort of the 3 main takeaways I think of when I hear Ibra/Cavani in their United tenures.

both help open up many different possibilities and avenues on and off the pitch, idols for the players to look up to and follow, trend setters, leadership, etc. Everything - so so brilliant! Makes me smile just thinking about their impacts :drool:

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
For me I found Ibrahimovic very frustrating, he was incredible in front of goal, but his work rate outside of that was nonexistent. What was the 35 when he was here and still seemed to insist on playing every game.

Cavani scores the goals is a team player and I'm just amazed at his work rate and effort. Plus you don't get the feeling he is going to throw his toys out of the pram if he is rested or if we feel we need some pace upfront.

A-man

Happy Birthday to Zlatan! 40 years and still one of the most entertaining footballers. Hope he can stay fit to give us another 1-2 years.

Ixion

I remember the shit Zlatan got while he was here from posters on here. Slated for scoring just 28 goals, "any other striker would have 40+", which obviously would have been 30+ if not for the injury.

He was a proper striker and leader for us who if anything was underrated.