Zlatan shoulder tackle

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yeah, two feet off the ground vs a shoulder barge, totally comparable.
Not sure he compares them as much as saying they both used excessive force which they they did in my opinion.

That said I think what Rojo got away with should be retrospectively punished. Zlatan never put the West Brom player in any danger.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Brilliant from Zlatan. As has been said, West Brom and Pulis are known for physicality, it's great to have a player able to mix it with them. It was done in the right way as well, it wasn't a sneaky elbow or kick, but a shoulder charge which basically said, "feck you, I'm bigger and stronger than you and you won't be pushing me around today".

Hilarious as well than none of the WBA players came to challenge Zlatan over it. Normally 4-5 players would fly in pushing and shoving. Absolute non-reaction against Zlatan :lol:

Reactions: Penna

Red_Aaron

It's one of those orange card jobs

Not so dangerous as to be straight red worthy but also premeditated (imo) and late enough to bring his intention into question

If we accept he had no chance to or intention of playing the ball then clearly he's out to hurt/intimidate the opponent which shouldn't really be acceptable so I can see where the calls for Red come from. Likewise for brunt

It's not a red for me but had Dawson or rashford landed badly they could very well have got injured as a result and thus debate would maybe be a lot more interesting

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
This new but prevalent idea you can't be sent off for a foul involving your shoulder is nuts. Violent conduct and excessive force can both be red card offences. And both can involve your shoulder. The only place you can really use your shoulder without fear of fouling is when two players are shoulder to shoulder. For me this wasn't quite a red but the idea its beyond discussion is absurd. If it was a red then it wouldn't have Been the harshest I've ever seen.

In real time it looked bad, regardless of what Rojo did last week and what Brunt did later.

Attack the post, not the poster, most of the replies were about Scholesy and not what he said. Anyone outraged by the silliness of the thread should just find another thread to post in.
Fair enough, but if you start to hand out red cards for challenges like that then there would be at least two in each game, and i honestly can't remember a single shoulder challenge who was been red carded unless there were elbows involved (Obviously not counting professional fouls). He was late, and he clattered him, but it's not Zlatans fault hes built like a tank. You see defenders make those challenges all the time on strikers, and they are often lauded as "putting him in place" or "making his presence felt"

The only reason this is a case is because ABU pundits dig everywhere to have something to moan about. If it was Rondon who made that challenge on Jones or Rojo, no one would give a damn. The fact that BT tried to make a point about how we have been "favored by the refs" just proves what a bunch of insufferable apes they really are

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Let's say 40% of the referees would have given a yellow card, 30% a red card (intention to hurt) and 30% nothing.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
More like 90% a yellow and 10% a red. And the 10% would give a red because they were wrong. ;)

kps88

Zlatan never put the West Brom player in any danger.
That's because he got lucky. When you're clattered in the air like that, you can easily injure yourself with an awkward landing as you lose all control on the way down.

LazyBones

He went for the ball. The challenge looked worse than it was because Dawson was off the ground. If Zlatan got a red for that it would have been like getting a red because he is physically bigger than Dawson. There was an incident in the second half where Zlatan used his strength to hold on to the ball and free was given against him. He was penalised for being stronger than the opponent, why???

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
No way was this a red. Dropping his arm made the difference for me - if he had his arm raised up it would have been a lot more dangerous and would have deserved a red.

The only reason some might say it was a red was because the way the WBA player landed. That looked nasty.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
He went for the ball. The challenge looked worse than it was because Dawson was off the ground. If Zlatan got a red for that it would have been like getting a red because he is physically bigger than Dawson. There was an incident in the second half where Zlatan used his strength to hold on to the ball and free was given against him. He was penalised for being stronger than the opponent, why???
That was more of a push. He wasn't just holding off the player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That's because he got lucky. When you're clattered in the air like that, you can easily injure yourself with an awkward landing as you lose all control on the way down.
True. Rugby is as violent a sport as you can get but they've banned tackling anyone whose feet are off the ground for exactly that reason.

I thought Ibra could easily have been sent off. He was lucky. But we'll take it after the crap luck of earlier this season.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I love that he roughs up defenders. We've been too soft a team for far too long.

Zlatan's quite sly about these kinds of fouls too. I never thought he'd get sent off for that, but he sent a message to the WBA defenders - you'll not feck with me.

Worked a treat too.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I love that he roughs up defenders. We've been too soft a team for far too long.

Zlatan's quite sly about these kinds of fouls too. I never thought he'd get sent off for that, but he sent a message to the WBA defenders - you'll not feck with me.

Worked a treat too.
Yeah, agreed. Once he clatters a defender like that they'll think twice about jumping over him to win a header and he'll have the space to win flick-ons or even take it down on his chest. He's a wily old pro and we're a stronger team for his cynicism.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Yeah, agreed. Once he clatters a defender like that they'll think twice about jumping over him to win a header and he'll have the space to win flick-ons or even take it down on his chest. He's a wily old pro and we're a stronger team for his cynicism.
Yup. Remember how he absolutely trashed Morgan and that Bournemouth-defender in his first matches? It was both hilarious and brilliant.

I love watching him. He's quality, a top notch striker.

Janson

It has been happening throughout his career and I think I remember Mourinho complaining about it at Inter.

RyRy11

I was about to say "Wow, they are really starting to promote anyone these days" but then I saw that he joined in 2006... :nervous:

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
I was about to say "Wow, they are really starting to promote anyone these days" but then I saw that he joined in 2006... :nervous:
Yeah I know right, talking about football when he could be making bitchy comments about other members.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Scholesy has actually returns as a much worse poster than he had initially been, which is quite some accomplishement given the extent of nonsense he used to spout.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Not sure he compares them as much as saying they both used excessive force which they they did in my opinion.

That said I think what Rojo got away with should be retrospectively punished. Zlatan never put the West Brom player in any danger.
If the ref sees the incident there cannot be retrospective action. Both the Rojo tackles were seen and deemed only yellow worthy, rightly or wrongly.

Ainu

It's one of those challenges where you think about a red card for a few moments and then decide, no, yellow will do. It's a tough challenge, no doubt about it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I enjoyed seeing WBA players getting served a good portion of their own medicine.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Think this is the perfect example of if there was an "orange" card in football. Dangerous and deserved a bit more than yellow, but a red would be too much.

Denis79

I enjoyed how he threw Olsson even more =) Not a red card that, The tackle on Rashford was closer to a red card imo.

mark_a

Challenge? Surely the elephant in the room is the "let's focus on any negatives" coverage of United? A great performance and it's the same old story of blowing stuff like that out of proportion. Anyone who watches football knows luck cuts both ways.

In that specific case, it's like a big striker has never 'used his strength' to bully a defence before!

SirAnderson

How is this thread still open :lol: Surely must have gone on a tangent cause to discuss something that was cleared up even by the infamous Howard Webb, leaves little for discussion. For me the challenge on Rashford was similar if not the exact same and no one is calling that a red. Case closed.

wolvored

It was an intended barge as he was late and seemed to look at the player not the ball, but a red would of been harsh. Rondon slapped Rojos face which to the letter of the law is a red but got a yellow. Brunt also barged into Rashford when he would of been clear down the wing, and only got a yellow.

wolvored

The other thing no one has considered is that if it had of been the other way around everyone on here would have said its a definite red and a lifetime ban for the baggies player :drool:

zeekey

I just laughed when I saw it. Go hard or go home and that shit. Have to watch these yellows that Zlatan and Pogba pick up pretty much every game though. They've both served one suspension each. What's the next level after 5 bookings, 8?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
How is this thread still open :lol: Surely must have gone on a tangent cause to discuss something that was cleared up even by the infamous Howard Webb, leaves little for discussion. For me the challenge on Rashford was similar if not the exact same and no one is calling that a red. Case closed.
People are trying to find new creative ways to criticize Zlatan now that he's playing so well.

Neutral

BTV
I just laughed when I saw it. Go hard or go home and that shit. Have to watch these yellows that Zlatan and Pogba pick up pretty much every game though. They've both served one suspension each. What's the next level after 5 bookings, 8?
2 games for 10 yellows
3 games for 15 yellows
called in for a special disciplinary hearing after 20 yellows :lol:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Fair enough, but if you start to hand out red cards for challenges like that then there would be at least two in each game, and i honestly can't remember a single shoulder challenge who was been red carded unless there were elbows involved (Obviously not counting professional fouls). He was late, and he clattered him, but it's not Zlatans fault hes built like a tank. You see defenders make those challenges all the time on strikers, and they are often lauded as "putting him in place" or "making his presence felt"

The only reason this is a case is because ABU pundits dig everywhere to have something to moan about. If it was Rondon who made that challenge on Jones or Rojo, no one would give a damn. The fact that BT tried to make a point about how we have been "favored by the refs" just proves what a bunch of insufferable apes they really are
I'm not an ABU and I'm not averse to the good aul rough and tumble of football, but I still think he was in that awkward area between yellow and red. We have been really unlucky with some of our results and decisions, but we've also avoided at least 2 red cards lately.

CG1010

There was a challenge by a Olsson in the second half, cynically shoulder checking Rashford into ground when he was going clear at goal. He had no intention to win the ball. It was potentially dangerous as Rashford was running at real pace and could have hurt him. Why is that not a red if the Ibra one ought to be?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There was a challenge by a Olsson in the second half, cynically shoulder checking Rashford into ground when he was going clear at goal. He had no intention to win the ball. It was potentially dangerous as Rashford was running at real pace and could have hurt him. Why is that not a red if the Ibra one ought to be?
Can things not be discussed on their own merit?