Zlatan tells LeBron James to stay out of politics...

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I could be wrong but the way he brought James into it a question about the NBA makes me think that he is just a bit envious of the attention that James has within american sports. The thing about Lebron James is that he is that only Jordan and Ali are above him when it comes to athletes popularity which is an incredible achievement.
Within American sports, sure, but he's not that famous across the globe so I'm not sure about the jealousy thing. But I don't think that matters, silly thing for Zlatan to say, regardless.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Within American sports, sure, but he's not that famous across the globe so I'm not sure about the jealousy thing. But I don't think that matters, silly thing for Zlatan to say, regardless.
According to Google Trends, they're about equal in terms of popularity with maybe a slight advantage for Lebron. I think Americans definitely overestimate how popular their sports stars are across the globe, especially in contrast to football. Football stars trump basketball stars in this metric.

That being said, Zlatan is clearly on the wrong here while Lebron is completely on point, IMO.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
James is not extremely popular everywhere, in fact he is somewhat dislikeable. I live in NYC and while no one dares question his talent, he doesn't elicit the same admiration as Kobe or MJ. And that's before you bring in his views on China/NBA or his cringeworthy "the decision". The media is desperate to push the Lebron narrative, but it just doesn't stick. I remember when media was pushing Grant Hill but everyone wanted to be like Allen Iverson.

Maybe it's looks. Kobe was hot, Lebron is erm anything but. Or maybe it's personality, humor, charisma. I don't know, but people like what they like..
You mean the same NYC that was literally begging him to join their teams every time he was a free agent? Cool story. The decision was a decade ago, so maybe you should update your sources. I've in Brooklyn and lived in San Francisco during the height of the Cavs/Warriors rivalry. He's extremely well-respected and popular even amongst opposing fans. Only fringe right-wingers and people who take tribalism in sports way to seriously don't like him.

Suedesi

You mean the same NYC that was literally begging him to join their teams every time he was a free agent? Cool story. The decision was a decade ago, so maybe you should update your sources. I've in Brooklyn and lived in San Francisco during the height of the Cavs/Warriors rivalry. He's extremely well-respected and popular even amongst opposing fans. Only fringe right-wingers and people who take tribalism in sports way to seriously don't like him.
Ok mate

SwedishFish

Zlatan has clarified his statement in an interview, pre-San Remo.

“Racism and politics are two different things. We athletes unite the world, politics divides the world,” he said.

“Everyone is welcome, it has nothing to do with where you are from, we do what we do to unite. We don’t do other things because we are not good at it, otherwise I would be in politics.

“That’s my message. Athletes must be athletes, politicians must be politicians.”

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

“Racism and politics are two different things. We athletes unite the world, politics divides the world,” he said.

“Everyone is welcome, it has nothing to do with where you are from, we do what we do to unite. We don’t do other things because we are not good at it, otherwise I would be in politics.

“That’s my message. Athletes must be athletes, politicians must be politicians.”
That's not clarified anything, if anything it muddies his message even more.

Racism is also very political, whether he likes to admit it or not.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

That doesn't help at all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is so much wrong in what he says from a fundamental standpoint. But we focus on athletes, sports and fandom, sports is generally grounded in tribalism whether we are talking about clubs or national teams, it doesn't unite at all but exploits divisions in a more palatable way.

led_scholes

Racism IS politics. I wouldn't expect Zlatan to allign with the "stay-out of politics" nonsense of UEFA... Zlatan should watch Cantona's 2019 speech in the UEFA ceremony.

SwedishFish

That's not clarified anything, if anything it muddies his message even more.

Racism is also very political, whether he likes to admit it or not.
Certainly seems like the initial comments weren't regarding his involvement in the BLM movement. But then again only Zlatan could answer that question.

What is regarded as political or not is a different question.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

He did it, he's surpassed the shite he spoke the last time round.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Racism IS politics. I wouldn't expect Zlatan to allign with the "stay-out of politics" nonsense of UEFA... Zlatan should watch Cantona's 2019 speech in the UEFA ceremony.
Zlatan is a wish.com Eric Cantona.