Zlatan tells LeBron James to stay out of politics...

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
https://lakersdaily.com/zlatan-ibra...peak-about-politics-do-what-youre-good-doing/

Zlatan's quote:
“He’s phenomenal, but I don’t like when people with a ‘status’ speak about politics. Do what you’re good doing,” Ibrahimovic said. “I play football because I’m the best playing football, I’m no politician. If I’d been a politician, I would be doing politics. This is the first mistake famous people do when they become famous: for me it is better to avoid certain topics and do what you’re good doing, otherwise you risk doing something wrongly.”
Couldn't disagree more with him to be honest. If Rashford stayed out of politics we'd have (even more) children starving. They aren't experts on politics of course, but they can make a positive difference and maybe inspire the mind of an expert on politics.

Mindhunter

Maybe he should stay out of speaking then as he isn’t a “speaker”. Ridiculous take. Famous people should speak up and use the platform they have built to bring positive change.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's a strange take because politics is something that we all do and should all do, we are members and actors of society, no one should be a bystander and let "politicians" do politics.

hubbuh

Idiotic. Loads of non-politicians meddle in politics (Murdoch, Brooks etc.). It can be a positive thing to have influential people use their platform for the greater good, like Rashford as OP mentioned. Romario is now an elected politician in Brazil so there's no reason why footballers should avert their eyes for the sake of it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
“I think people with status shouldn’t talk about politics” - says person with status talking about politics

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
A nonsensical argument used by people usually to discredit anyone talking about politics they don't like. eg "Oh a football player was advocating for disability allowance increase, they should stay out of politics".

Tarrou

Zlatan talks a lot of shite to be fair

anyone remember when he said he could have been US President?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I know many people love the guy and all, but it would be great if people realised that Ibrahimovic is an idiot.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I know many people love the guy and all, but it would be great if people realised that Ibrahimovic is an idiot.
Cockwomble of the highest standard, honestly

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Lots of people on here should stay out of football then...I mean, I've never played it to a high level so it should preclude me from having an opinion :rolleyes:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I find it absolutely baffling when people talk about Politics as if it’s a some sort of mono-subject which only concerns Politicians. You see people on social media say “oh everyone’s a politician now” because people are talking about issues which actually concern them and have an opinion on it. Literally everything in our lives that has some sort of effect on us is subject to politics and people should be encouraged to be more involved, not less involved.

JPRouve

Scout
Lots of people on here should stay out of football then...I mean, I've never played it to a high level so it should preclude me from having an opinion :rolleyes:
To be fair we all agree with that sentiment. :smirk:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
"Shut up and dribble".
A fecking idiotic take.
Politics is for everyone and anyone. It is not a fecking career.

hubbuh

That's a strange take because politics is something that we all do and should all do, we are members and actors of society, no one should be a bystander and let "politicians" do politics.
Yeah mainly this though

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I find it absolutely baffling when people talk about Politics as if it’s a some sort of mono-subject which only concerns Politicians. You see people on social media say “oh everyone’s a politician now” because people are talking about issues which actually concern them and have an opinion on it. Literally everything in our lives that has some sort of effect on us is subject to politics and people should be encouraged to be more involved, not less involved.
Spot on. Everything is political.

SuperiorXI

Dumb narrow-minded view from Zlatan. Politics affects everyone of every social status and so by default everyone should get involved in some way. Unless you're just content to be dictated to about your own life.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
If the history of politics had been left simply up to the politicians, we'd all (mostly) be absolutely fecked :lol:

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Nah mate Zlatan's right, I mean why would you be, even in the slightest interested how your money is being redistributed?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I am telling @horsechoker to stay out of the entertainment forum and mainly the Pokemon thread.
He [Bojan11] is a prat, and I don’t like when people with a ‘caf award’ speak about video games. Do what you’re good doing,” Horsechoker said. “I shitpost because I’m the best shitposter, I’m no game developer. If I’d been a game developer, I would be doing game development. This is the first mistake Bojan made when he won an award: for me it is better to avoid certain topics and do what you’re good doing, otherwise you risk doing something wrongly.

JPRouve

Scout
It's a sentiment that career politicians created in order to keep their own jobs. The reality is that anyone could and should be a politician, education shouldn't even be a limit, many people that are barely litterate are smart and have common sense that can help a community and that's one of the things that you want from a politician, some public roles require administrative and management competencies but not all of them.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He really is a monumental ass isn't he?

Is Zlatan an expert on basketball or American politics or the status of African Americans in the USA? No? Then why is he piping up about it?

As far as I'm aware, James talks mostly about issues affecting the African-American community. He is an expert in the lived African-American experience.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Given that James' contributions have mainly been around the unequal treatment of African-Americans in the US (including an excellent campaign on voter suppression), this is a pretty abysmal take from Zlatan. Tosser.

Sylar

I wonder if anybody will agree with this or defend Zlatans take

JPRouve

Scout
I wonder if anybody will agree with this or defend Zlatans take
Look mate, I don't watch NBA games for politics. I don't want to think about the world but see athletes shoot hoops.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Zlatan: "Do what you're best at doing, don't focus on other things, even if you're trying to make an positive impact on the world. PS. buy my clothing A-Z"

SwedishFish

Eh, Zlatan has taken a stand for racial equality too.

He's on a few occasions taken a stand for people with an immigrant background to get a chance in the Swedish NT.

I think the quote is being slightly misinterpreted tbh.

He really is a monumental ass isn't he?
I don’t think he means it to be an ass, but he comes from a country with the most vanilla politics imaginable.

He hasn’t quite grasped that he’s talking about a polarized place with huge race issues, where Arnie was governor of the richest state and Donald fecking Trump was president.

I think he’s just a bit closed and a bit thick here.

SwedishFish

Also, he did the 805 million names thing for the World Food Programme. I don't think he sees basic human rights as politics. As per the OP mentioning of Rashford.

It's a different story regarding food for children in the UK. Probably comes with having a tory government for ages.

cyberman

https://lakersdaily.com/zlatan-ibra...peak-about-politics-do-what-youre-good-doing/

Zlatan's quote:

Couldn't disagree more with him to be honest. If Rashford stayed out of politics we'd have (even more) children starving. They aren't experts on politics of course, but they can make a positive difference and maybe inspire the mind of an expert on politics.
I think Rashford is more of a charitable cause rather than political.
Celebs getting into politics is how Trump got elected or how the Rock says he'll run if the people want him too. Issues become too simplified and cult of celebrity colours peoples minds.
Look at LeBron himself with the China fiasco.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Ah, is he telling Rashford to shut up then?

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Zlatan has always been a bit of a wanker.

Great player, but a bit of a knob.

Summit

Do what you're good at Zlatan, don't go thinking you can design clothes

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Celebs getting into politics is how Trump got elected or how the Rock says he'll run if the people want him too. Issues become too simplified and cult of celebrity colours peoples minds.
Depends on what you think politics are.

He had to appeal to politicians, spoke to the leader of the politicians in this country and had to liaise with them to get this done.

Edit: on the rest of your post, it can be dangerous. As youve evidenced with your examples.

But if a celebrity knows what they're talking about, and does the work, why can't they talk about politics? You mention Trump and The Rock but then you have Schwarzenegger and Glenn Jacobs (Kane from WWE) who've gone into politics and done decent jobs (I'll admit on them, I'm no expert, just from where I'm sitting.)

Also, Ronald Reagan was an actor first. But I can't say whether he was a good president or not. Just showing there are other examples.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Basically another "shut up and dribble" take but now coming from another athlete.

Pathetic from Zlatan.

SwedishFish

Ah, is he telling Rashford to shut up then?
No, that's just politics in the UK. In the Scandinavian countries, food for children would be regarded as a human right.

But if you're still unsure you can check this out.

Summit

Required politicians to vote...I'd say it is political