Zlatan tells Lukaku "‘Go do your voodoo s***, you little donkey"

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
That part wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, but in general.

Lukaku made an ass of himself. Pathetic behavior. Justifying it is dumb and pathetic in itself.
It wasn't aimed at individuals, but scatter gun insults are still not conducive to constructive debate, particularly in one that touches on race.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that! Yeah, could be. Considering he ended up at Manchester United and the alleged 'voodoo message' said he should go to Chelsea, I am inclined to think it's not true!
The problem for me is that I don't think that it's that common for people to make references to that cultural aspect of west Africa. That's why I'm wondering if Lukaku didn't say something and Moshiri built a story around it, I don't think that it's accurate because he talked about voodoo but the origin of the story could come from Lukaku himself.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Does anyone have evidence of Lukaku practising voodoo at any point in his life? Because if he does/has then that puts Ibra's comments into perspective.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
The problem for me is that I don't think that it's that common for people to make references to that cultural aspect of west Africa. That's why I'm wondering if Lukaku didn't say something and Moshiri built a story around it, I don't think that it's accurate because he talked about voodoo but the origin of the story could come from Lukaku himself.
Having read more about it, Moshiri seems to have got it from the fact Lukaku completed a pilgrimage to Lourdes and that's about it.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Everything is racist, apparently.
It's actually relatively easy to define, and is only applied to a small fraction of fights and arguments in football. Which leads me to believe you have no intention of trying to understand what is and isn't racist, and why.

NotThatSoph

Obviously I meant by way of a media story or something.

Leave your crystal ball out of this mess.
"Romelu is very Catholic and voodoo is not part of his life or his beliefs. He simply had no faith in Everton and no confidence in Mr Moshiri’s project. That is why he did not want to sign on any condition. He wanted to make the next step in his career and wanted the security to be able to leave."

That's what we know about the connection between Lukaku and voodoo. Seems pretty clear to me.

Andersons Dietician

This is easily sorted, they both slap some gloves on and someone makes it a PPV. I’d gladly pay 19.99 to watch Lukaku beat the snot out of Zlatan. All proceeds go to the Kick it out campaign or something.

To be honest this is the kind of thing that probably always goes on just now with no crowd we hear it a lot better when there are proper war of words between people.

Withnail

He said:

"I feck you and your wife." And as Lukaku walked into the tunnel he added “You want to speak about my mother you son of a bitch? I’ll shoot you in your head."

So he's not only saying that he's going to feck him and his wife, he also calls Zlatans mother a whore and on that, he threatened to kill him. Two wrongs don't make a right, but let's not kid ourselves, Lukakus wording is probably worse.
I'm not defending what anyone said. I was responding to the below post:

Funny how people are just debating whether or not Zlatan is a racist but not if Lukaku is a sexist. Helena has been informed that she’s going to get raped.
I'm not sure why either of you are inserting an "I"or "I'll" into what Lukaku said.

When you say 'feck you' to someone you are not telling them you are going to feck them. It's just a general insult.

Classical Mechanic

This is easily sorted, they both slap some gloves on and someone makes it a PPV. I’d gladly pay 19.99 to watch Lukaku beat the snot out of Zlatan. All proceeds go to the Kick it out campaign or something.

To be honest this is the kind of thing that probably always goes on just now with no crowd we hear it a lot better when there are proper war of words between people.
I'd bet on Zlatan. He's been training martial arts all his life.

Can7onA

As a wise man once said;

"The Voodoo hoodoo what you don't dare do people"

And I think we should all live by that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Man the amount of times we all called Lukaku a useless donkey. Zlatan must have read these forums.

Ludens the Red

The inter players are missing a trick here if they don’t start humming Jim Hendrix - Voodoo Child, anytime they’re around Lukaku.
“Dewnderderdewn........”

RC89

Let’s not try and make this a thing. I was clearly thinking that Ibra was saying it in an offensive manner.

Ive heard people say “voodoo shit” for religious elements

I reread the posters message and yeah it was worded differently. Thanks for clarification
Bloody hell, that's quite the leap

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
'In Zlatan's world'
Jesus Christ :rolleyes: .

Edit:
'Some better than others'
Sly.

I don’t hear it often as joke to describe black either... is this really commonly used as racist term anyway?
Are people being obtuse. If kids wanted to insult the African kid at school, stuff involving “voodoo” would be on the list, it’s a racial stereotype. Even black Caribbean kids used to use it against African kids in school. Just because it’s not common, or not targeted against black people in general, doesn’t mean it’s not racist.

Kin ell, what kind of racist turds are you hanging out with?

My answer to your question... never, for any race. I don’t hang around with people who do that.
not even worth answering such a stupid reply.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think that whether its racist or not depends on what happened between Moshiri and Lukaku.

If Moshiri made it all up and Ibra knew, then Ibra is being racist 100%. Whether he's winding up Lukaku about Voodoo itself or the news stories, he's using something that tends to be viewed as racial, maliciously.

If Moshiri got the wrong end of the stick because of something Lukaku said (it might have been an excuse to Moshiri), or if Lukaku did say it and then lied about it after, then Ibra is mocking Lukaku because of his own actions and so not racist.
Or he said it because he 100% knew it would wind Lukaku up.
I would be offended if someone said I practice voodoo just because I am Nigerian.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
"Romelu is very Catholic and voodoo is not part of his life or his beliefs. He simply had no faith in Everton and no confidence in Mr Moshiri’s project. That is why he did not want to sign on any condition. He wanted to make the next step in his career and wanted the security to be able to leave."

That's what we know about the connection between Lukaku and voodoo. Seems pretty clear to me.
So Lukaku himself has make it clear, he is taking this whole voodoo as religious thing rather than racist thing then?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Then Ibra can't have said voodoo shit as it makes no sense whatsoever, then again neither does wooden shed.

I'm betting on "you earn shit" or words to that effect.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I'm usually the first person to support a player who claims racism as long as there is evidence however I'm not sure how people are hearing "Voodoo" and "shit" here after a few listens instead of "wooden" and "shed" which is being said with a slightly strange pronounciation (which probably explains why there is partly a misunderstanding here).

If you imagine a russian or german saying "wooden" and "shed" the w in wooden become a slightly stange Vee sound (as with most W's in German) and the D in shed is being mangled slighly probably again due to Zlatan's accent which whilst he may have been brought up in sweden his accent has aways sounded anything but to me, and has always sounded more eastern European hence him sounding slightly Russian to me more than Swedish (I'm aware he was born in Eastern Europe hence why he would sound this way) .

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Are people being obtuse. If kids wanted to insult the African kid at school, stuff involving “voodoo” would be on the list, it’s a racial stereotype. Even black Caribbean kids used to use it against African kids in school. Just because it’s not common, or not targeted against black people in general, doesn’t mean it’s not racist.

not even worth answering such a stupid reply.
Really? Are you sure? Have you been to African school, or did you just make that one up?
I am not trying to be too sceptical, but its first time I heard about using this term being racist.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Or he said it because he 100% knew it would wind Lukaku up.
I would be offended if someone said I practice voodoo just because I am Nigerian.
Lukaku was born in Antwerp, Belgium.

Isn't Ibra a fully-fledged endorser of the Kick it Out campaign? it would seem strangely out of character for him to display racism.