Zlatan

Mickson

Man is a freak, 40+ and counting. Has anyone ever played at such a high level, scoring regularly at that age in the modern era?

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Man is a freak, 40+ and counting. Has anyone ever played at such a high level, scoring regularly at that age in the modern era?
Puskas and di estefano were both pretty decent at old age , so was our very own sir Bobby but none of them was 40 when they left .

dronesoul

Of course that's what he should've said, there's no place for tounge in cheek comments in a situation like that. The fecking idiot also literally believes he's a lion because he's said "I'm a lion" multiple times... he's delusional.
Dude, if you think Zlatan literally thinks he's a lion you are the delusional one.

Mickson

Puskas and di estefano were both pretty decent at old age , so was our very own sir Bobby but none of them was 40 when they left .
Another era. He looks fitter and more agile than Ronaldo despite being four years older and way, way bigger and people are talking about Ronaldo like some kind of freak.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

I don't think he is Di Stefano class. I see him on the same class as Cantona (without United background). Great player that is successful, but the complexity in mentality is also a hinderance for him to reach the very top. Would not fit in dream team, all star team due it. And It's hard to reach the top in dream team era.
Totally different career from Cantona.

Ibra > Henry >Cantona

But probably a PL-centered mind won´t see this.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Another era. He looks fitter and more agile than Ronaldo despite being four years older and way, way bigger and people are talking about Ronaldo like some kind of freak.
He doesn't play every week like ron does and also plays in one of the more lethargic leagues out there. Still very impressive.

Madridista2000

Supports
Real Madrid
Di Stefano used to smoke on the bench. Different era. Don't think that era footballers would have a chance in the Championship leave alone top level.

Paul_Scholes18

Shame he is suspended for the Cech home game.

We have other good strikers though, but Isak might be injured.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You'd put Ibra above Henry? Seriously? Henry had a much higher peak. At one point he was considered a top3 player in the world.
You can find a lot of people who would rate Ibra top 3 along Messi and Ronaldo for the last years, so in that regard he is on par with Henry.

I myself have not seen enough of Henry to have an opinion to compare the two, so this is just based on the "considered top 3".

youmeletsfly

What the feck, are people comparing Henry with Zlatan? Haha, this forum is going fecking nuts.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Henry had a case for ballon do'r in 2004 and I think he deserved it.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You can find a lot of people who would rate Ibra top 3 along Messi and Ronaldo for the last years, so in that regard he is on par with Henry.

I myself have not seen enough of Henry to have an opinion to compare the two, so this is just based on the "considered top 3".
Henry was in a different league to Zlatan

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Which year Zlatan was considered as top 3?

Henry was at different level to Zlatan at their peaks.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

:lol:
Who are these people?

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I wonder what gives him his longevity? If I was an elite football I'd be desperate to know what his day looks like.

He's a black belt in karate or something isn't he?

Giggs was mad into yoga I believe.

Exercises in flexibility & that don't put much pressure on the joints or something maybe.

predator

Youth NITK

Henry 03/04 was the best player in the world in my opinion. He was an absolute monster.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
We typically play better as a team with him on the bench, but he still does offer plenty in terms of leadership and finishing.
He should no longer take PKs. In fact, Theo Hernandez took it today. I believe he's now missed 6 of 11 with us now. He has obviously lost a step (he's 40) so sometimes that hurts, as as we try to counter quickly.
But with all that said, he's still better than 90% of "big" strikers out there and he's still scoring at a luscious rate.

He's been absolutely fundamental in Milan's new youth project - he brings grit, tons of knowledge, and a "never lose" attitude. Glad we have him.

Ok it´s obvious that the counter-argument is that neither was at Henrys peak (It wasnt really at Zlatans either though), but let´s compare what´s possible to compare:

Zlatan in Juventus vs. Henry in Juventus
Zlatan in MLS vs. Henry in MLS
Zlatan in Barcelona vs. Henry in Barcelona

I wonder what gives him his longevity? If I was an elite football I'd be desperate to know what his day looks like.

Exercises in flexibility & that don't put much pressure on the joints or something maybe.

It seems like it´s a tendency nowadays among physical superstars - Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, Ronaldo. It´s probably down to how players as assets are taken care of in other ways nowadays (compared to the 90s or 80s) and developments in sport science etc (diet, physiology and perhaps medicine).

I would say that one tendency is that general elite players nowadays has a shorter peak (age 20-30) and a few with an exceptional skillset when getting slower are able to prolong the careers (the three above mentioned). Haaland could probably have a similiar development, if he is motivated and avoids injuries.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol:
Who are these people?
Ever been to Italy? Or spoken to an italian football fan? Or pundit?

For what is worth, henry was better than ibra, but i'd put both on the same level

GifLord

Ever been to Italy? Or spoken to an italian football fan? Or pundit?

For what is worth, henry was better than ibra, but i'd put both on the same level
He's been crazy overrated since the 2010s. Before that nobody in a million years would even put him among the top 10 in the world let alone top 3 ffs.
It seems like all i takes is a few audacious goals and all of a sudden you're among the world's best.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's been crazy overrated since the 2010s. Before that nobody in a million years would even put him among the top 10 in the world let alone top 3 ffs.
It seems like all i takes is a few audacious goals and all of a sudden you're among the world's best.
Italian pundits were talking about Balon D'Or for him as early as 2005. He was genuinely seen as at worst a top 3 player in the world from his first season at juventus over here

GifLord

Italian pundits were talking about Balon D'Or for him as early as 2005. He was genuinely seen as at worst a top 3 player in the world from his first season at juventus over here
Got any source for that? There were much better players than Ibra playing in Serie A at the time. Adriano, Kaka, Shevchenko, Totti, Nedved,...

Oranges038

Got any source for that? There were much better players than Ibra playing in Serie A at the time. Adriano, Kaka, Shevchenko, Totti, Nedved,...
There were much better players at Juventus never mind the rest of Italy.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No idea, i just remember what they said on tv. Probably. But yeah, no, Ibra was so much of a monster in Italy from day 1, he was genuinely massively overrated. Even when he did turn unquestionably into the best player in the league he was overrated(that was 06/07, third season, first at inter).

And Barcelona bought him for €40M plus Eto'o in 2009 and the majority of people in Italy thought it wasn't enough ffs

Corridor of Uncertainty

Based on what, exactly?

From the time he joined Juventus until the time he went to Barca, his Seria A record is pretty decent, but it's in no way remarkable. 80 goals in 158 games. His European record is abysmal, 9 goals in 42 games. And in two of those European seasons, he didn't score a single goal in the campaign, and had another season where he scored just once.

He's never at any point in his career been the best player in the world, let alone top 3.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Based on what, exactly?
League. He was overrated

He's never at any point in his career been the best player in the world, let alone top 3.
Agree with the first assertion, because Messi-Cristiano, disagree with the second. Easily the 3rd best player in the world between 2010 and 2012 at the very least(his two peak seasons at milan)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
League. He was overrated

Agree with the first assertion, because Messi-Cristiano, disagree with the second. Easily the 3rd best player in the world between 2010 and 2012 at the very least(his two peak seasons at milan)
Not a chance he was 3rd best player in those years when Xavi and Iniesta were dominating every game.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid

I'd say it's his genes, he's a natural born athlete with an impressive physique for a footballer but that also speaks about his talent for football and agility.