Zlatan's Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It's the right decision if we leave sentiments out. Time to move on for both, it was a great year

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
correct decision

And funny now when everyone at xmas time was saying we should give him a new 2 year contract there and then.

A few sensible heads (me being one of them) thought it best to wait until the summer

Djemba-Djemba

It's a shame but it's absolutely the right decision if true.

I know it's Zlatan and he's superhuman but it's asking a hell of a lot to expect him to recover from a very serious injury and come back totally fine at his age. It takes players 10 years younger than him a while to fully recover.

Morpheus 7

It's such a sad way to end his spell but I think it's the right decision. I honestly think the club are announcing it because Zlatan had decided not to stay, saving face a little(not confirmed ofcourse). There was talk of Mino wanting a two year extension for him, the club would be crazy to offer that with age and the extent of his injury. It's the right decision for all. The best possible time to leave, we need to address up front long term. Being in the CL and winning a European trophy has given us a boost. We need long term Rooney and Zlatan and I think we'll benefit from this on the long run. Zlatan scored loads for us last year but his conversion wasn't great, considering we setup the team around him. With that said, I think he give us great experience and leadership at key times. Winning the community shield and delivering in the efl cup give us belief. Top pro Zlatan, I'm sure he helped the players behind the scenes.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
One of my fav players ever, and i was chuffed when Utd announced his signing. Leaving sentiments aside, i think parting ways is the most sensate thing to do

AndyJ1985

I'm pleased we're not keeping him. I know some wet flannels would be happy to see us pay millions for his recovery, but that's just absurd and no sane business would make such a sentimental decision. However I'm also pleased we signed him and got one good season from him. He's a footballing legend and to still be playing at such a high standard at 35 is remarkable, and a testament to how professional and hard working he is.

I genuinely hope he returns to full fitness as soon as possible and enjoys a few more years playing football.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
From what I understand he is the one who delayed signing the new contract for so long. If he'd signed when it was offered, he'd be locked in right now for another year.

Turamb

Didn't we already know this?

Hasn't it been said the entire time that he won't be getting a new contract this summer, but he'll be able to use the club's medical and training facilites until he's fit, at which point they might discuss a new contract, unless he wants to go somewhere else?

pascell

The correct decision, he'll want to play regularly when he's fit and since Griezmann had it happened, we obviously moved onto a no.9 and that'll limit the playing time we can offer.

It'll be fun to see where he ends up, he should go to the MLS, they'd throw money at him and he'd get another 2/3 seasons there.

Jaxdan

Like all the transfer nonsense, I'm taking the "unlikely" and "sources close to" with a grain of salt. It could very well be the direction it's all heading, but until I see something official on any of this news I'll take it as it is. Rumors.

Robertd0803

Makes sense. As long as he gets to use the Clubs facilities/doctors etc. then that's ok.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It is all on him. As i remember he could sign contract before injury but he wanted to think about it. He took a risk and lost a new contract.

AgentP

The best we can do is let him use our facilities to regain fitness. Once he's fit, we can give him a contract till the end of the season. We did the same thing with Valdes and it was going well until LVG sent him packing.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
I wouldn't mind seeing him beimg offered a coaching role, he would be a massive influence to the squad.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
With the money you have I would have offered him a somewhat reasonable contract including performance bonuses, and if he signs it would be great, if he comes back in good form he's still one of your best players.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
The best we can do is let him use our facilities to regain fitness. Once he's fit, we can give him a contract till the end of the season. We did the same thing with Valdes and it was going well until LVG sent him packing.
I like your thinking.

FujiVice

He was unreal for us. Hope his leadership rubs off on our current squad. Massive inspiration and you can tell the players adored him.

ken11

His year with us has been massively influential. Brought swagger and a winner's mentality. Can't thank him enough.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'm more annoyed at his signing than ever. He scored more than I thought he would but we're now struggling to find a striker. The ultimate stop gap signing but last year we could have splashed on Lukaku or others who are now simply unobtainable.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It's pretty simple, he won't be cup tied so once he is fit if we are still in the CL he will sign on. If we aren't he will try get into whatever team is still in it and willing to play him.

It's his last shot before a final payday in the US or wherever, fair enough.

beedoubleyou

If Jose had his way, he would have sealed the extension before the turn of the year. Zlat's hesitance to sign has kind of backfired on him here. I'm sure we don't need to worry about Zlatan though, it was short but sweet and I'll always remember him fondly.

el3mel

It's logical we don't extend his contract now with him going out for maybe the first half of the month. I don't think Zlatan himself will agree to keep on taking heavy wages for nothing.

However, I expect us to give him a short contract in January till the end of the season if his fitness was alright and he doesn't join another club by this time. He can be a very good sub for the end of the season and who knows, may be we win the league and he gets his EPL medal. After this short contract he can leave.

That's the best solution for him and for the club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm more annoyed at his signing than ever. He scored more than I thought he would but we're now struggling to find a striker. The ultimate stop gap signing but last year we could have splashed on Lukaku or others who are now simply unobtainable.
It's not like we'd have been able to get a good striker on the cheap last summer though.
There was no champions league either which wouldn't have helped.

In a twisted way, his injury has forced us to think long term, rather than thinking we could extend his stop gappery into season 2!
Not the "blessing in disguise" a few geniuses said of course!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
With the money you have I would have offered him a somewhat reasonable contract including performance bonuses, and if he signs it would be great, if he comes back in good form he's still one of your best players.
But when he seems to have been on money that'd make Rooney jealous, what would count as "reasonable?"

200k a week? 150/100?

When 20k a week is around £1m why on earth would you shell out multiple millions when he can't play for the foreseeable?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He made 20 million quid and proved to everyone he is still well able for the top level of football. The club has treated him very well and I'm sure all his treatment etc will be paid for. I can see him training with us until he's able to play again and taking it from there. He'd be like a new singing in Jan or whenever he's fully back if he signs again. I really do think we need to look for a younger player though whatever happens.

davidmichael

I've said ever since the injury that if it was as bad as feared, which it did end up being, and he'd be out til late January or early February then keeping Zlatan on £300K+ a week is a terrible business decision regardless of how good he's been for us.

How many players apart from Alan Shearer can we say actually came back from that kind of injury and continued to score loads of goals ? Shearer was also in his early 20's too if memory serves me right as well. I think we should pay his medical bills as an act of good faith and let him train with us or use our facilities until fully fit but re-signing him would have easily been the wrong decision.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I have a feeling we'll offer him a contract once his rehab is over. He'll most likely stick around and use our facilities to recover and when he's fully fit, he'll be brought into the squad for whatever remains of next season.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
He came, he saw, he won 2 proper trophies - 1 of which a major European title that the club had never won before.

A champion, and an honour to've had him in a United shirt for a season.

Correct decision though. Wish him nothing but the absolute best (Italy would be a great move I reckon...).

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Lukaku was somehow more obtainable last summer with an extra year on the contract? Who else was available last summer to get us the goals he did?

tweed

bad politics Ed... now people know we dont have a striker the prices will be higher as they know we need a top striker no matter what. weak transfer strategy! hope i am wrong but i think we will pay a lot for our replacement.

AndyMUFC

It's a shame, I did wanna see him for again for sentimental reasons but obviously understand why.

Status
Not open for further replies.