Zlatan's Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I'd also like to point out when looking at Zlatan's goal return (in Europa and Prem, the only stats available on who scored) he averages a goal or assist ever 112 minutes. Wayne Rooney who is apparently the worst player ever in the same competitions was one every 126 minutes.

Dobbs

Again, if Ibra didn't get injured, we would have just had to replace Rooney this season and Ibra next season. While Ibra is old, he is still much fitter and demonstrated that he can play a number of games at a stretch.

And I am very sure Jose would have looked at all the strikers available last season and concluded Ibra was the best option available. Morata for example wouldn't have been amenable to sign with us last season with us having no CL and he potentially playing first choice for Real Madrid.
Well couldn't get Morata with no Champions league but we could get Di Maria, Pogba and Ibra? Doesn't make sense to me.

So if Ibra didn't get injured and stayed for the upcoming season you wouldn't have signed a striker?

We don't have to replace Rooney either. One good striker backed up with Rashford and Martial is enough.

CG1010

Well couldn't get Morata with no Champions league but we could get Di Maria, Pogba and Ibra? Doesn't make sense to me.

So if Ibra didn't get injured and stayed for the upcoming season you wouldn't have signed a striker?
Each player is different I guess. From what I know, Morata wanted to stay with Juventus or work his way as first choice with Real Madrid. Don't see the scope for us signing him last season. This season, he knows he won't be the main man and apparently wants to play more. Hence, he has potentially become available for us.

If Ibra didn't get injured, I would only buy one #10 kind of player. Now we should get two strikers, one playing as #9 and one behind #9.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Last year Chelsea weren't interested. We could have had a free run at him.
That's assuming Lukaku would even want to come here, which it looks like he didn't.

Or that we hadn't already spent £150m on three players.

Or would you have preferred if we didn't get Pogba, or Bailly & Mkhi, and spent £70/80m on Lukaku instead perhaps?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but snapping Zlatan up on a free allowed us to get three players in three positions we were desperately in need of reinforcement in.

It sounds like you're just trying to justify your ridiculous season-long argument about Zlatan that was proven wrong repeatedly. What was it you said, that he'd score 7 league goals? That he'd limit Rashford's progress?

Dobbs

Each player is different I guess. From what I know, Morata wanted to stay with Juventus or work his way as first choice with Real Madrid. Don't see the scope for us signing him last season. This season, he knows he won't be the main man and apparently wants to play more. Hence, he has potentially become available for us.

If Ibra didn't get injured, I would only buy one #10 kind of player. Now we should get two strikers, one playing as #9 and one behind #9.
Which like the rest of us is pretty much noting.

This was always going to be the situation. At the very best we might have delayed it until next summer had Ibra stayed. Again though why delay? Just get it sorted for the next five years or so.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
That's assuming Lukaku would even want to come here, which it looks like he didn't.

Or would you have preferred if we didn't get Pogba, or Bailly & Mkhi, and spent £70/80m on Lukaku instead perhaps?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but snapping Zlatan up on a free allowed us to get three players in three positions we were desperately in need of reinforcement in.

It sounds like you're just trying to justify your ridiculous season-long argument about Zlatan that was proven wrong repeatedly. What was it you said, that he'd score 7 goals? That he'd limit Rashford's progress?
Seven goals from open play in the Prem.
Zlatan joined on the highest wages in the Prem. I'd definitely think Lukaku would have been a better option.

Dobbs

It sounds like you're just trying to justify your ridiculous season-long argument about Zlatan that was proven wrong repeatedly. What was it you said, that he'd score 7 league goals? That he'd limit Rashford's progress?
Was that really the situation? It was either/or?

In any case we face that same scenario now. We need to spend big on a striker and we still need three or four other players. Signing Zlatan merely delayed it.

Massive Spanner

Was that really the situation? It was either/or?

In any case we face that same scenario now. We need to spend big on a striker and we still need three or four other players. Signing Zlatan merely delayed it.
I don't know if it was, but £150m does seem to be our tipping point, i.e. what we don't go past for players. It might be higher this year, we'll have to see.

It's not the same scenario, because if we'd got our striker last summer in place of others we'd be looking at five or six players, not three or four.

Massive Spanner

Seven goals from open play in the Prem.
Zlatan joined on the highest wages in the Prem. I'd definitely think Lukaku would have been a better option.
Yeah, that totally answered my questions didn't it? Ignore the completely implausibility and repercussions of signing Lukaku and just repeat "nah he was the better option!"

Massive Spanner

Implausibility? You think that signing Lukaku last year was completely implausible?
Pretty much. He doesn't want to go to a Mourinho club, and even if he was persuaded to, we would more than likely have had to not purchase at least one of the other three, maybe two of them.

Really we have no idea if we could have gotten him and to just say "ah we should've gotten Lukaku instead of Zlatan cause Zlatan went and got himself injured for ages!" is daft.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Pretty much. He doesn't want to go to a Mourinho club, and even if he was persuaded to, we would more than likely have had to not purchase at least one of the other three, maybe two of them.

Really we have no idea if we could have gotten him and to just say "ah we should've gotten Lukaku instead of Zlatan cause Zlatan went and got himself injured for ages!" is daft.
No it's not.

One of my main arguments against Zlatan would be that he's just a short term option. And as a result we signed a 35 year old and he got injured. Now he has gone. Now we have more competition for strikers this year and it seems like we've been unable to convince players to join us. It was a short term stop gap at best.

Sparky10Legend

I'd also like to point out when looking at Zlatan's goal return (in Europa and Prem, the only stats available on who scored) he averages a goal or assist ever 112 minutes. Wayne Rooney who is apparently the worst player ever in the same competitions was one every 126 minutes.
Difference being Zlats were goals....Rooney's were typically a 1 yard scuffed shot to the eventual goalscorer.

Hence the reason nobody in europe will touch him with a bargepole right now.

CG1010

We don't know, but we can conjecture. Though to be honest, Lukaku might have been available last season too. But the thing is Ibra suited us in so many ways, including the winning mentality and pure class he got for us in this season. I definitely don't think getting him was a mistake over getting a long-term striker last season. We can get one now.

Massive Spanner

No it's not.

One of my main arguments against Zlatan would be that he's just a short term option. And as a result we signed a 35 year old and he got injured. Now he has gone. Now we have more competition for strikers this year and it seems like we've been unable to convince players to join us. It was a short term stop gap at best.
You can't even name someone other than Lukaku who we could have gotten instead of him last season that would score 20+ goals, your argument makes no sense, especially when it's very, very likely we wouldn't have been able to get Lukaku.

Seriously, what other top striker moved last summer that would've filled up that 27 goal void?

Higuan maybe? Would we have gotten even him over Juve, and been mad enough to pay £80m for a 28 year old?

RedDevil@84

People did that with Danny freaking Welbeck.

Doesn't really mean much at all.
Danny Welbeck was overrated by English fans on the forum. Many people could see he was a terrible finisher and danced more than he finished.
Zlatan is in a different league and a fit Zlatan could be a huge difference to any team.

Of course if we'd just signed any of the strikers we're currently linked with last summer it would all have been avoided.
That's the thing though @Dobbs, I think Mourinho did the best he could by getting Zlatan in. Morata is reportedly his top target, and he was absolutely no available last summer, or if he was, it's was at an insane price that would have hindered us signing Pogba too.

You seem to think that the club would have sanctioned another massive transfer last Summer & well, that's just daft. IMO Pogba was the most important signing we could get last season, and if that meant waiting a year for a more "permanent" striker, that was what we had to do.

If we get the right man now, the stop gap DID work. 28 goals, 8 assists, CL football and 2 trophies prove that.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Danny Welbeck was overrated by English fans on the forum. Many people could see he was a terrible finisher and danced more than he finished.
Zlatan is in a different league and a fit Zlatan could be a huge difference to any team.
No

My point is that the CAF will always overreact. Thats why I gave an example of them overreacting to a vastly inferior player.

Dobbs

That's the thing though @Dobbs, I think Mourinho did the best he could by getting Zlatan in. Morata is reportedly his top target, and he was absolutely no available last summer, or if he was, it's was at an insane price that would have hindered us signing Pogba too.

You seem to think that the club would have sanctioned another massive transfer last Summer & well, that's just daft. IMO Pogba was the most important signing we could get last season, and if that meant waiting a year for a more "permanent" striker, that was what we had to do.

If we get the right man now, the stop gap DID work. 28 goals, 8 assists, CL football and 2 trophies prove that.
Like others who claim getting Zlatan for a year was the best decision you somehow know who was and wasn't available 12 months ago, how much we were prepared to spend etc.

We haven't saved money by getting Zlatan, we've just shifted the expense from last summer to this. If anything it's cost us money, all the strikers we're being linked with have gone up in value over the last 12 months.

We now have hindsight. So tell me what was the benefit of getting a one season striker as opposed to a striker who'll give us 5 or 6 years? Which we're now about to do it seems.

Put aside who was or wasn't available last year because that really is guesswork.

vk20legend

Is it possible that we might let him recover here till say December and sign him in Jan?! Or as a free agent a bit later in the season?

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Perhaps you need to learn something about football before you post anything
wow, "i know more about football than you" argument. If knowing more about footy means to make stupid remark and comparison between a legend of a club with a player who played one season then i'm willing to be not as knowledgeable as you.

Like others who claim getting Zlatan for a year was the best decision you somehow know who was and wasn't available 12 months ago, how much we were prepared to spend etc..
It's just obvious right? We spent massive, 145 million quid :eek:

Morata went to Madrid last Summer and neither he nor Juve had any say in it, so it's not just me and others claiming anything about availability, it's there for all to see.

But keep banging your drum about this signing being wrong despite being totally proven otherwise. I mean, I'm sure we had an extra 60 million quid just lying around for buying Morota or Lukaku last summer, seems totally plausible that we'd spend over 200 million quid in one window :lol:

Zoo

Cult hero. Hope to see him back at the club in some capacity one day.

iportman

wow, "i know more about football than you" argument. If knowing more about footy means to make stupid remark and comparison between a legend of a club with a player who played one season then i'm willing to be not as knowledgeable as you.
a legend at the club who has done nothing for 4 years and is still holding the club to ransom , some legend

Status
Not open for further replies.