Zoran Tosic : "Hopefully Fergie will give me a chance"

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
uefa.com said:
Tosic bides his time

When Federico Macheda fired a curling shot beyond Aston Villa FC goalkeeper Brad Friedel on his Manchester United FC debut to clinch a thrilling 3-2 victory, it meant more than securing three crucial points in the race for the Premier League title.

'Do like Kiko'
For the other youngsters looking to break through at Old Trafford the 17-year-old's dramatic intervention on 5 April and subsequent winner at Sunderland AFC the following week fuelled the belief that their hopes and aspirations could also be realised. "Those winning goals Kiko scored were brilliant and every player hopes he can get a chance like him," United's Serbian winger Zoran Tošić told uefa.com. "All you can do is do well and do like Kiko."

Debut dream
Tošić's impact at Old Trafford since arriving from FK Partizan in January has not been as dramatic, but the 22-year-old Serbian international is still living the dream. Confident, relaxed and certain his time will come, Tošić fulfilled his ambition of playing for the club he had followed from afar as a boy when he came on as a substitute in United's 2-1 win against Tottenham Hotspur FC in the FA Cup on 24 January. His aim now is to force his way into the side on a regular basis. "That was the best moment of my life when I came on," he recalls. "Seventy-five thousand people – I think I did well in that game. Now I hope we will win the championship and try to win the Champions League, then after that when next season starts I'm going to get the chance to play."

Under-21 ambition
Before then Tošić aims to make a splash this summer to force manager Sir Alex Ferguson's hand. Tošić has played 14 times for the senior Serbia side, but will add valuable experience to their Under-21s at the 2009 UEFA European Under-21 Championship in Sweden this June. It was in helping Serbia reach the final in 2007 that the sprightly winger first shot to attention, earning a move from hometown club FK Banat Zrenjanin to Partizan. He hopes the tournament will provide a similar springboard to success this time.

'Good experience'
"It doesn't matter to me if I play for the Serbian first team or the U21s, I play at the same level and I play my same game. It will be a very good experience for me to play in the championship again and I'm very happy because of that. To be honest I can't wait for it to start. I'm happy here in Manchester. I haven't played a lot of games for the first team, but I have come to the best club in the world. I know I have time. I have to practise, get stronger, get faster, be better in all aspects. I feel the U21 championship will help me and I can prove I'm a United player."

Patience
Tošić's ambition is tempered by patience. Small and slight of build, he needs to time to adapt to the physical demands of the Premier League, and in the company of Cristiano Ronaldo there is no better place for a winger to learn the ropes. Tošić is also grateful for the advice his Serbia and United team-mate Nemanja Vidić has given as he settles in Manchester. "He has helped me a lot, not only on the pitch but off it too," Tošić says. "English football is a bit different to the other leagues so he told me some things about how I should play and different things that I would have to get used to. A player that learns to play in the Premier League can play wherever he wants."

Vidić impressed
Vidić is impressed. "Coming halfway through the season I think it is difficult for him to adapt," the centre-back told uefa.com. "First he needs to learn about English football and about life here. He has done well up to now. I think he is a skilful player with a great strike with good crosses playing as a left winger. [Given] how he is doing now and how he has developed over the last three months, he can do well."

Solskjær example

As a kid, United posters adorned Tošić's wall, a passion for the club sparked by their remarkable recovery to beat FC Bayern München in the 1999 UEFA Champions League final. The man who scored their late winner that day, Ole Gunnar Solskjær, is now Tošić's coach in the United reserves. "Since that moment I became a United fan and whenever I could I watched every game on television," Tošić says. "Now my dream has come true. I'm very glad to work with Ole. He is a very good man and a very good coach and I can learn from him because he was a wide player and a striker like me. That moment when he scored was brilliant." With a coach like Solskjær setting the example, Tošić too is shooting for the stars.

Great mentality. I've watched him play at the Olympics before knowing he would sign with United and was impressed. He capped some great performances with the Reserves too. I found him outstanding against Everton notably.

When I see the likes of Arshavin and Joe Cole, I don't understand the deal being made about his lightweight. :confused:
Besides, the stories that he was bought only to secure Ljajic are beginning to annoy me. I hope he gets a chance with the first-team before the end of the season and shows what he is capable of.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
He has a role to play... you know, people don't believe me but he could be our long-term replacement for Park, with actual strong attacking ability.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
Yeah, I reckon Tosic is gonna be a bit shit regardless tbh, we will have to wait and see.
I'm not convinced either. From the sheer mathematical improbability, Fergie is not always going to pick the right players.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Can't really judge the fella lads, he hasn't played! Lets wait till he actually gets a few games under his belt before disregarding the guy.

Crustanoid

I always think back to the example of Evra, who took a while to get going in his United career

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Nani Nana :lol:

There is indeed some ambiguity in the French language but let me figure this out: I am not, in any case, a female admirer of the eponymous Portuguese winger.

I simply deeply enjoy the chorus of this song :

Now as to what pertains to the topic, Anderson Searl could well have a point, but Tosic is nowhere near the physical standard of Park. He could well be his long term replacement but he would then adopt a more technical approach of the midfield position, hence adding quickness to our game. His passing abilities have nothing to envy to the Korean indeed.
He could also add an extra option to our midfield by stretching it : where Park enjoys cutting inside, Tosic sticks to the byline. Considering Park has a couple of years playing under his belt, I hope Tosic will get to prove himself beforehand though.

Decotron

Nani > Nani Nana > Gala

For what its worth I think he'll make it for us. Coming on loads recently. Ridiculous and pointless to say hes going to be a bit shit. People who have actually watched him live beg to differ.

We just need to be patient with him. He was never gonna get many games in the second half of the season as he needed time to adapt. He has been making slow and steady progress with the reserves and is doing his gym work as well. He understands that he needs to work harder to adapt to football at this level and clearly has the right mentality to wait for his chance.

From next year we can look to him as a viable option on the wing. Tosic is comfortable on the ball, quick and nimble when on the attack. He will give us a different option to what we already have. Also he has an impressive and accurate left foot that can be an asset to us from set pieces and the left wing. Give him a fair chance to be a success here. Small players can be very good in the Premier League as Arshavin and Zola have shown.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can't judge him yet as we've only seen about 30 minutes of him for the first team. One think I can say when he came on against Spurs though is that he seems to have a good eye for a pass and plays the ball quickly.